Suggestion Thread!

SDS

I mean blog here.

I would need to subscribe to a stat feed if people wanted it here.

I wouldn't think the stats feed would be worth it, because like I said, you can get the same information w/ a 10 second google search. Not taking a shot at your site, because it's far and away the best Sabres community/resource on the web, but if someone is looking for stats they're going to go to some place more official. Even though you'd really be getting the stats from the same source.. I just don't see people loading up SabreSpace to see how many goals Roy scored three years ago, or whatever the case may be. They'll just go to hockeydb or yahoo or sabres.com.

As for blogging on SabreSpace, it would be a cool feature, I don't know how many people would utilize it. If you think about it, basically every post we make on this forum is more or less a miniature blog post or a response to someone else's miniature blog post. I think it would be better to just compile posts from different Sabres blogs around the web and display them like you do the news stories.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I'd expect nothing less and now await the ensuing double entendres. :o

I have a request. When chz posts pictures of herself, I want her holding a copy of that day's Buffalo News, ala hostage/ransom style. At least for the first 3 or 4....just for some peace of mind...ya know?

For the blog Idea, I would have one blog that combines the issues from the other community thread. Have some of the opposing viewpoint posters have a debate blog like the ESPN College Football conference bloggers do some times. Some of the debates here (do we need a #1 Center, is miller actually a great goalie, which of the young defensemen are most important, etc.) would have made for great front page content if they were cleaned up and edited a bit. This would make the front page into more of a creative content page than a link accumulator. Which drives better ad revenue ($$$ :thumbsup:)

Also I nominate our resident chart man to have his own section explaining his charts to the newbies.

So, a point/counterpoint?

Also, I had planned on getting carps charts incorporated last season, but never got to it.

On the hockey internet DB...there is the embed feature that many sites enable.

I don't really understand Java scipt, but discussions might be enhanced if we were able to quickly

embed their career stats feature that they allow with javascript.

example below....the embed feature is under the NHL totals.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=49508

and the script function looks like this for embedding....

<script src="http://www.hockeydb.com/em/?text_col=%23000000&linktext_col=%230000ee&linktext_hover_col=%23770000&bg_col=%23f0ecdd&border_col=%23000000&title_bg_col=%23d6cda5&row_bg_col=%23ffffff&row_alt_bg_col=%23f5f2e9&header=1&pid=49508" type="text/javascript"></script>

On the hockey internet DB...there is the embed feature that many sites enable.

I don't really understand Java scipt, but discussions might be enhanced if we were able to quickly

embed their career stats feature that they allow with javascript.

example below....the embed feature is under the NHL totals.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=49508

and the script function looks like this for embedding....

<script src="http://www.hockeydb.com/em/?text_col=%23000000&linktext_col=%230000ee&linktext_hover_col=%23770000&bg_col=%23f0ecdd&border_col=%23000000&title_bg_col=%23d6cda5&row_bg_col=%23ffffff&row_alt_bg_col=%23f5f2e9&header=1&pid=49508" type="text/javascript">

You want this to be able to embed into posts or just have it somewhere on SS?

I wouldn't think the stats feed would be worth it, because like I said, you can get the same information w/ a 10 second google search. Not taking a shot at your site, because it's far and away the best Sabres community/resource on the web, but if someone is looking for stats they're going to go to some place more official. Even though you'd really be getting the stats from the same source.. I just don't see people loading up SabreSpace to see how many goals Roy scored three years ago, or whatever the case may be. They'll just go to hockeydb or yahoo or sabres.com.

As for blogging on SabreSpace, it would be a cool feature, I don't know how many people would utilize it. If you think about it, basically every post we make on this forum is more or less a miniature blog post or a response to someone else's miniature blog post. I think it would be better to just compile posts from different Sabres blogs around the web and display them like you do the news stories.

SDS, you would definitely have to weigh costs in, as i don't know if you would have to pay to get a stats feed, but in regards to the above post, while sportsbuff is right that there would be other sites that would be more 'official" when looking up stats, if it's not too costly, one here would definitely be beneficial. When discussing salaries and performances of players, it'd be a really convenient resource here IMO.

This point all comes down to cost for you. If you think it would benefit your bottom line, then i'm happy to put my two cents in. If not, this site is already great as is, and it's not like i'll stop visiting to read up on the great discussions that take place here.

Also, blog hosting is a really cool idea. Not sure how you'd go about it because i feel like a lot of people who really have no business writing blogs would attempt to do so, but it's a nice idea nonetheless. And if it was implemented to the main page, i would definitely suggest keeping them separate from the news stories. While the discussion boards are my primary target when i visit, the news stories are very nice to have access to as well, and i'd hate to see them inundated with blogs.

SDS, you would definitely have to weigh costs in, as i don't know if you would have to pay to get a stats feed, but in regards to the above post, while sportsbuff is right that there would be other sites that would be more 'official" when looking up stats, if it's not too costly, one here would definitely be beneficial. When discussing salaries and performances of players, it'd be a really convenient resource here IMO.

This point all comes down to cost for you. If you think it would benefit your bottom line, then i'm happy to put my two cents in. If not, this site is already great as is, and it's not like i'll stop visiting to read up on the great discussions that take place here.

Also, blog hosting is a really cool idea. Not sure how you'd go about it because i feel like a lot of people who really have no business writing blogs would attempt to do so, but it's a nice idea nonetheless. And if it was implemented to the main page, i would definitely suggest keeping them separate from the news stories. While the discussion boards are my primary target when i visit, the news stories are very nice to have access to as well, and i'd hate to see them inundated with blogs.

I think any bloggers would be by invitation only.

I like it :ph34r:

When v 3.2 comes out, I'll make them more prominent. Probably with traditional thumbs or if someone has a better idea for like/dislike icons - I'm listening!

When v 3.2 comes out, I'll make them more prominent. Probably with traditional thumbs or if someone has a better idea for like/dislike icons - I'm listening!

I only get this

"Action failed: You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

when I try de-rep someone. It was the first time I did it!

Personally, I don't think we should have a negative rep option. I enjoy giving out a positive rep every now and then for a post I really like, but I don't see any value in negative reps. All it does is allow people to dislike something without saying why. If someone disagrees with my post, they should have to say so in words. It keeps things genuine.

Basically, I don't like it. So go ahead and negative rep me for this post. :nana:

Personally, I don't think we should have a negative rep option. I enjoy giving out a positive rep every now and then for a post I really like, but I don't see any value in negative reps. All it does is allow people to dislike something without saying why. If someone disagrees with my post, they should have to say so in words. It keeps things genuine.

Basically, I don't like it. So go ahead and negative rep me for this post. :nana:

Ok, neg rep worked for me... :nana:

Let's just try it and see if it helps self-moderation. It can always change back.

Afraid your feeling will get hurt?

I only get this

"Action failed: You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

when I try de-rep someone. It was the first time I did it!

Fixed...

Afraid your feeling will get hurt?

Yup. I take everything on the internet very seriously. :cry:

I'm just saying, tempers flare here enough as it is. I can't wait to see people go off the handle when their posts are being crushed with negative reps as well. But I'm all for letting the experiment happen.

Yup. I take everything on the internet very seriously. :cry:

I'm just saying, tempers flare here enough as it is. I can't wait to see people go off the handle when their posts are being crushed with negative reps as well. But I'm all for letting the experiment happen.

Can't wait to see "team stormcloud" competing against one another for the greatest negative rep.

it's like around the horn or who's line is it anyway. The points don't matter.

I liked the no neg reps here. Any other forum I;ve been on the neg reps seemed to be a source of contention. As you say, it allows people to dislike anonymously, and that often becomes antagonistic. I've seen people quit forums over neg rep pile-ons. Positive rep seems to work better, acting as positive reinforcement. It'll be interesting to see how the crowd here uses the neg button.

I liked the no neg reps here. Any other forum I;ve been on the neg reps seemed to be a source of contention. As you say, it allows people to dislike anonymously, and that often becomes antagonistic. I've seen people quit forums over neg rep pile-ons. Positive rep seems to work better, acting as positive reinforcement. It'll be interesting to see how the crowd here uses the neg button.

Or you can think of it this way, if you don't have any positive rep hits on your post, you would likely have had that red button hit.

Okay just retweeted the announcements of Sabres Space and Sabre Forums to my friends and fans. Keep up the good work SDS. It will be a great marketing ploy. One other place you might consider is Linked In, it can be linked to twitter and facebook as well to the website and all you have to do is one post if they are all linked. Just one more way to broadcast the site.

Archived