Suggestion Thread!

SDS

I have a separate forum for this:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/forum/32-suggestion-box/

but it is completely empty. :(

What I want to know is how I can modify things here and on the front page to improve your experience? Is there some sort of social media integration, better like/dislike, bloggers, stats, schedule, profiles, or whatever that you use all the time elsewhere or would use here if it were available?

What to do about Videos?

I may provide a prize for someone who can coherently lay out a plan to organize videos (primarily YouTube links). Keep in mind that this might be a service the front page readers might like also.

Some of the video montages that folks have linked to over the years have been really cool. It might be nice to be able to access the most popular by player or significant Sabre event, but wow that would be a lot of work. If someone wanted to upload or link to a Utube video, they would need to answer some questions that would enable the data base to be searchable.

Same for photos or photo galleries, but as long as you don't have to store them, key is the filling out of the form and the protocols, latests, history, recent, by Sabre player and by poster should considered.

Googles Picassa software and Mac IPhoto might be the best two for the untrained photo enthusiast to use for this purpose as far as slide shows go. Instructions on how to put them up on a free gallery that you could link to appropriately would be the key. Photo ownership is always an issue so making sure proper credit is given and ownership and usage issues are well resolved will be important.

Lightroom and Apeture for more advanced users and Adobe Bridge with Photoshop and Capture One software for professional folks does the job.

For video, gotta deffer about what instructions and advice to give out.

As the Calendar, the new forum software is finally iCalendar compliant, so importing NHL schedules will be a breeze. I plan on having that calendar finally used instead of being completely ignored.

As the Calendar, the new forum software is finally iCalendar compliant, so importing NHL schedules will be a breeze. I plan on having that calendar finally used instead of being completely ignored.

awesome.

How about a shoutbox (or is the membership not large enough to make it useful)?

Do we have anyone who would like to be tweeters for a SabreSpace account?

I plan on having every article being tweeted like I do for TBD. But, on top of that it would be nice to have people tweeting news, etc... if they so choose. Or maybe accounts can be linked or something. Not sure, I'm not a Twitter pro.

awesome.

How about a shoutbox (or is the membership not large enough to make it useful)?

Well, it certainly can be tried. That is an easy add-on.

I was hoping the chat room would have been used more, but I guess I would need to have specific events for that.

Do we have anyone who would like to be tweeters for a SabreSpace account?

I plan on having every article being tweeted like I do for TBD. But, on top of that it would be nice to have people tweeting news, etc... if they so choose. Or maybe accounts can be linked or something. Not sure, I'm not a Twitter pro.

I think it would be easy to set a link to a Sabres Space tweet account of every new topic. It could be automatically sent to followers who could have the ability to either manually or automatically retweet the topics. You can also link those tweets directly to facebook as well.

First you would need to set up a SabresSpace twitter account. My only question would be on filtering tweets so only the topics are posted not all the responses.

Also it will be important to making sure everyone understand how to set up links back to Sabres Space.

The other question is do you want to set up thread that people can view tweets on Sabre Space? The rabbit hole begins.

What I want to know is how I can modify things here and on the front page to improve your experience? Is there some sort of social media integration, better like/dislike, bloggers, stats, schedule, profiles, or whatever that you use all the time elsewhere or would use here if it were available?

I high def feed to bills and sabers games? ;-) ala justin tv but for buffalo sports only I'll pay a subscription of $100 per year for such. ;-)

Also, can it please be apple tv ready?

I like the idea of having blogs on the front page. Do you mean having people blog under the SabreSpace moniker, or just a collection of blog posts from around the web? Obviously I'm bias since I run my own blog, but I know a few other users on here have their own blogs as well and I think it would be cool if there was a spot on the homepage we could submit our blog posts to be displayed -- or just set up an RSS feed, but I could never figure out how that RSS stuff worked very well :lol:

Normally I would be for more facebook integration options, but I don't think I would even use them... I don't want my friends knowing how obsessive I really am over the Sabres. :ph34r: My whole news feed would be... "Jack posted in 'Thread Name' on SabreSpace." Every. Single. Entry.

Schedule is certainly a nice feature, but I think having individual player stats is a lot of unnecessary work -- most people will resort to the usual suspects (ESPN, TSN, hockeydb, etc) for stats anyway. I used to input stats manually for my old website BuffaloPuck and it was just a b*tch to do it every day, and one small mistake can mess up the whole thing for months to come if you don't notice it.

I'm not sure if this is fixable on your end, but I can't figure out how to post using an iPad.

Does Safari crash?

Turn off Rich Text Editor, because Mobile Safari doesn't support it (and crashes when you use it). We're hoping to resolve that once and for all for 3.2.

Very minor suggestion, but it would be a nice convenience.

When using the full search function to search the forums, could the default results format be 'as posts' rather than 'as topics'. If I want to read the topic, I can select the post # in the top corner after I've seen the post I was looking for; but it seems that one still has to scroll through the thread to find the post in question when the results come out as topics.

If I forget to change from the default output, which I far too often seem to do, I then have to go back and re-run the search. Searching by posts seems more intuitive to me.

Like I said, it's a pretty minor issue, but since you're asking ....

Very minor suggestion, but it would be a nice convenience.

When using the full search function to search the forums, could the default results format be 'as posts' rather than 'as topics'. If I want to read the topic, I can select the post # in the top corner after I've seen the post I was looking for; but it seems that one still has to scroll through the thread to find the post in question when the results come out as topics.

If I forget to change from the default output, which I far too often seem to do, I then have to go back and re-run the search. Searching by posts seems more intuitive to me.

I have the same issue, although I am asking about higher level type items as opposed almost bug level tweaks.

I have the same issue, although I am asking about higher level type items as opposed almost bug level tweaks.

Well, if those are the types of suggestions you're looking for, then I'd suggest giving Chz her own page in your photo / video gallery. That should up your advertising revenues courtesy of all the hits & duration of hits these horn dogs 'll have. ;)

Can your server handle this place getting as much traffic as your other board?

Links to the Amerks site maybe. I for one am happier than a pig in poop with the renewed affiliation and I think there will be a ton more info on the prospects coming in now from us Rochester folks. Maybe just a little linky for the farm or somethin.

Done.

Well, if those are the types of suggestions you're looking for, then I'd suggest giving Chz her own page in your photo / video gallery. That should up your advertising revenues courtesy of all the hits & duration of hits these horn dogs 'll have. ;)

Can your server handle this place getting as much traffic as your other board?

Well, in a broader sense, I have thought about "Ice Girls" and running photo contests, etc...

Also, this server can handle the load. If not, we go bigger.

I like the idea of having blogs on the front page. Do you mean having people blog under the SabreSpace moniker, or just a collection of blog posts from around the web? Obviously I'm bias since I run my own blog, but I know a few other users on here have their own blogs as well and I think it would be cool if there was a spot on the homepage we could submit our blog posts to be displayed -- or just set up an RSS feed, but I could never figure out how that RSS stuff worked very well :lol:

Normally I would be for more facebook integration options, but I don't think I would even use them... I don't want my friends knowing how obsessive I really am over the Sabres. :ph34r: My whole news feed would be... "Jack posted in 'Thread Name' on SabreSpace." Every. Single. Entry.

Schedule is certainly a nice feature, but I think having individual player stats is a lot of unnecessary work -- most people will resort to the usual suspects (ESPN, TSN, hockeydb, etc) for stats anyway. I used to input stats manually for my old website BuffaloPuck and it was just a b*tch to do it every day, and one small mistake can mess up the whole thing for months to come if you don't notice it.

I mean blog here.

I would need to subscribe to a stat feed if people wanted it here.

Done.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Well, in a broader sense, I have thought about "Ice Girls" and running photo contests, etc...

Also, this server can handle the load. If not, we go bigger.

I'd expect nothing less and now await the ensuing double entendres. :o

For the blog Idea, I would have one blog that combines the issues from the other community thread. Have some of the opposing viewpoint posters have a debate blog like the ESPN College Football conference bloggers do some times. Some of the debates here (do we need a #1 Center, is miller actually a great goalie, which of the young defensemen are most important, etc.) would have made for great front page content if they were cleaned up and edited a bit. This would make the front page into more of a creative content page than a link accumulator. Which drives better ad revenue ($$$ :thumbsup:)

Also I nominate our resident chart man to have his own section explaining his charts to the newbies.

Archived