Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

I'm uncomfortable with the excessive terms of this contract. $10 million a year for the first 2 years? I just am not cool with seeing a somewhat anonymous player step in from a different organization and get the big bucks, instead of the homegrown guys like Grags, who deserves a chance to be pp qb.

I like how the numbers keep going up. It's not 2/$20mil, it's 2/$18mil. And as Taro T pointed out, it's not really that either.

And if you think he is Anonymous then you havent followed hockey much. Ehrhoff has put up great numbers in all facets of the game, especially the PP.

We also just re-signed our "homegrown guys" like Stafford, Gerbe, and McCormick.

Great signing all the way around. It's not your money, so why worry?

• 1 month later...

So, is Darcy still being told who to get and who to let go? :devil:

I'm sure they have a lot to do with it. LQ and OSP may have done the same thing but never picked the right guy. It was usually for money reasons if they suggested something.

The article today states that Darcy would rather make trades to get under the salary cap rather than moving people to the minors.

? Chz or anyone else in the know. Does that mean dumping players for draft choices or potentially a block buster for a number 1 center.

If the former, we can probably all name names, but the later I am thinking could be rather surprising i.e, , the Sabres would have to give up someone of significance to get something in return, a la Vanek, or Roy or Stafford and a defensemen or two.

The usual trade bait suspects include Boyes, Hecht, and Pommonville,

I left Kotalik out because he would either be a straight salary dump unless sent to the minors. I just don't think he is worth anything anywhere.

So what are the odds DR is able to pull off a trade before the Salary Cap deadline?

Anyone think a Vanek for Malkin or Roy for Malkin plus a defenseman makes sense? Malkin has been a name out there and with the TPegs PA connection you have to think that would be something they would work on?

The article today states that Darcy would rather make trades to get under the salary cap rather than moving people to the minors.

? Chz or anyone else in the know. Does that mean dumping players for draft choices or potentially a block buster for a number 1 center.

If the former, we can probably all name names, but the later I am thinking could be rather surprising i.e, , the Sabres would have to give up someone of significance to get something in return, a la Vanek, or Roy or Stafford and a defensemen or two.

The usual trade bait suspects include Boyes, Hecht, and Pommonville,

I left Kotalik out because he would either be a straight salary dump unless sent to the minors. I just don't think he is worth anything anywhere.

So what are the odds DR is able to pull off a trade before the Salary Cap deadline?

Anyone think a Vanek for Malkin or Roy for Malkin plus a defenseman makes sense? Malkin has been a name out there and with the TPegs PA connection you have to think that would be something they would work on?

? Chz or anyone else in the know. Does that mean dumping players for draft choices or potentially a block buster for a number 1 center. I really wish this would go away.

If the former, we can probably all name names, but the later I am thinking could be rather surprising i.e, , the Sabres would have to give up someone of significance to get something in return, a la Vanek, or Roy or Stafford and a defensemen or two. I think the key to any trade is more salary going out than coming in.

The usual trade bait suspects include Boyes, Hecht, and Pommonville, According to who?

I left Kotalik out because he would either be a straight salary dump unless sent to the minors. I just don't think he is worth anything anywhere. In a pinch, I could see a team trading for his services, although highly unlikely.

So what are the odds DR is able to pull off a trade before the Salary Cap deadline? 17.4%

Anyone think a Vanek for Malkin or Roy for Malkin plus a defenseman makes sense? Malkin has been a name out there and with the TPegs PA connection you have to think that would be something they would work on? Back to more salary going out than coming in. The Sabres would need to ship out ~$3 million than is returning. So, if Malkin comes in with a cap hit of $8.7 million, then the Sabres will need to ship ~$12 million in return. Vanek (7.1) is going to have to go the other way. Along with Stafford (4.0) and someone else like Gerbe (1.4). Unless the Sabres are confident that Kassian and Adam are making the roster, this trade doesn't make sense. Not to mention the Pens are only $1.5 million under the cap so they couldn't participate in this trade at all.

? Chz or anyone else in the know. Does that mean dumping players for draft choices or potentially a block buster for a number 1 center. I really wish this would go away.

If the former, we can probably all name names, but the later I am thinking could be rather surprising i.e, , the Sabres would have to give up someone of significance to get something in return, a la Vanek, or Roy or Stafford and a defensemen or two. I think the key to any trade is more salary going out than coming in.

The usual trade bait suspects include Boyes, Hecht, and Pommonville, According to who?

I left Kotalik out because he would either be a straight salary dump unless sent to the minors. I just don't think he is worth anything anywhere. In a pinch, I could see a team trading for his services, although highly unlikely.

So what are the odds DR is able to pull off a trade before the Salary Cap deadline? 17.4%

Anyone think a Vanek for Malkin or Roy for Malkin plus a defenseman makes sense? Malkin has been a name out there and with the TPegs PA connection you have to think that would be something they would work on? Back to more salary going out than coming in. The Sabres would need to ship out ~$3 million than is returning. So, if Malkin comes in with a cap hit of $8.7 million, then the Sabres will need to ship ~$12 million in return. Vanek (7.1) is going to have to go the other way. Along with Stafford (4.0) and someone else like Gerbe (1.4). Unless the Sabres are confident that Kassian and Adam are making the roster, this trade doesn't make sense. Not to mention the Pens are only $1.5 million under the cap so they couldn't participate in this trade at all.

The usual suspect "mentioned at various times this spring and summer on this board..."

Fair enough on Malkin, but not out the realm, but what do you mean about you wish this would go away... the No. 1 center or the part about in the know? If it is the No. 1 center issue??, do you think the Sabres can do without one or is the phrase overused... then use Talented center that can set up people, score and yet have heart and physical strength to get back on D, okay that is oversimplified, but my model would be someone like Pavel Datsyuk.

I really didn't like this move at first; seemed to me the team was just showing off their new financial freedom. I can't think of another team with so many offensive defensemen so while I see how he can contribute, this just seemed like a decent amount of money spent on something that wasn't a huge need for us. I'm liking it more and more thinking of this guys shot improving our powerplay. Not to mention that, besides 1st and 2nd line centers, puck-moving defensemen are probably the 2nd most coveted commodity in the league nowadays so its a great surplus to have. I've always dreamed of the sabres being one of those teams who would make moves in the summer and trade-deadline day and that day has surprisingly come.....it's a fun time to be a fan of this team.

Archived