Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

so you add up the bonus and all the years and that equals $40M, then divide by 10 and you get the cap hit. The sum of the salaries is only $27M.

right, and the bonus is $13M, for $40M total. present value of money makes this much richer, however, than a straight $4M a year..

I sure hope Ehrhoff is good. I know he must be because there are already 27 pages on him, but I can honestly say that I have absolutely no opinion of him. I can't remember ever having seen him on the ice. I know I have, but I can't remember it.

right, and the bonus is $13M, for $40M total. present value of money makes this much richer, however, than a straight $4M a year..

and I'm sure the business man pegula and the numbers man Regier will be giving Mr. Richards and his agent a lesson in the "true cost of capital" in about 14 hours.

I sure hope Ehrhoff is good. I know he must be because there are already 27 pages on him, but I can honestly say that I have absolutely no opinion of him. I can't remember ever having seen him on the ice. I know I have, but I can't remember it.

That's usually the sign of a good D-man. But I think the reason he's unfamiliar is that he played out West, when we were sleeping.

so does his signing bonus count against the Cap or not?

Yes. The total cap hit including the signing bonus is $4M per year. $18 million paid in the first two years, the signing bonuses are paid immediately and the salary is paid out during the course of the regular season. The total monies owed Ehrhoff is $40 million over the 10 years, hence the cap hit, which would include the signing bonuses.

I'd like to chime in and say WOW.

Never been this excited about my team. Man, tomorrow is going to be fun!

You're not the only one. Having an owner that has money and is smart enough to leave hockey operations to the guys who know what they're doing takes being a fan to whole other level.

I will be honest I have never looked forward to free agency EVER for the Sabres..... We have a chnace to land the biggest FA in the market???? Wow, NOW I have a reason to be excited about FA.

Pegula's vast liquidity is what makes the difference...

between the contracts and the amerks and the renovations, he might end up losing like 30 million next year. He can only do that for like 100 more seasons, then he'll be out of cash.

between the contracts and the amerks and the renovations, he might end up losing like 30 million next year. He can only do that for like 100 more seasons, then he'll be out of cash.

5% interest on his $3B alone is $150M annually... he'll be fine for a long time

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

Has ANYONE ever said that about the Bills OR Sabres.... EVER?

I've never been this excited about an upcoming season in my life .... this is GREAT.

The only thing that came to mind is Bryce Paup coming to Buffalo. This is far better than that, though.

Granted he played with the Sedins, but he's a lethal setup man on the PP. I'm really excited to see his production injected there. Aside from the playoffs, he's had a pristine +/- over the past few years.

The more I think about it, I'm really psyched about the contract. It makes a ton of sense, as it frees up the cap hit when he's in his mid 30s. If we need to trade him: his $1mil salary will count for $4mil against the cap, which isn't a ton of money 6-8 years from now, and I bet there are a ton of cap floor teams that would eat that up. They don't have to pay him a ton, yet he helps them reach the floor 4 fold.

I know he played on an offensive juggernaut, but think about what he could do in the East vs. West, not to mention Lindy's system of carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Better than Soupy?

From EJ Hradek Sorry Sabres fans, spending 40 million on a second pair D doesn't have me thinking Stanley Cup. Then again ... #notmymoney!

That's funny... on June 28th Hradek called Ehrhoff easily the best UFA defenseman. He wasn't damning with faint praise, either.

You do realize that is not a contradiction. :blink:

I said "he wasn't damning with faint praise, either"--- he was gushing about Ehrhoff.

The contract isn't outrageous in any respect and he was certainly getting "1st pair" minutes with Vancouver this past season--- 23:59/game, second only to Alexander Edler's 24:17/game and Edler played 28 fewer games than Ehrhoff.

He'll only be a 2nd pair d-man in Buffalo because the top pairing will more than likely be Myers-Regehr.

I don't exactly love Ehrhoff but it's definitely a bit contradictory.

I said "he wasn't damning with faint praise, either"--- he was gushing about Ehrhoff.

The contract isn't outrageous in any respect and he was certainly getting "1st pair" minutes with Vancouver this past season--- 23:59/game, second only to Alexander Edler's 24:17/game and Edler played 28 fewer games than Ehrhoff.

He'll only be a 2nd pair d-man in Buffalo because the top pairing will more than likely be Myers-Regehr.

So, yeah--- it's a bit contradictory.

He can be all what was said about him and still not worth $18 mil over two years.

For the record, I love the signing and the contract.

I have been banging the drum about adding top end talent for a while. I guess that gets lost in the madness.

He can be all what was said about him and still not worth $18 mil over two years.

For the record, I love the signing and the contract.

I have been banging the drum about adding top end talent for a while. I guess that gets lost in the madness.

This thread is about Ehrhoff, not you. :nana:

Archived