Confirmed: Pegula buys Amerks

Taro T

I'm sure that between his pocketbook and his connections within the NHL owners group, Terry could work out a separation agreement (including helping them find a new affiliate) that Portland would find worthwhile.

Portland did not have a team before the Sabres put their players there right? I'm not sure. I know Portland had a team years ago(80's-90's I think). I would have to think that most in Portland may not care who the parent franchise is as long as the Pirates are a team in operation and they have games to go to.

I'm thinking most fans in that area are Bruins, Habs, Rangers, fans and not Sabre fans, therefor would root the same whether the parent team is the Sabres, Panthers, Jets, Coyotes, etc.

I bet the Amerks will be back w the Sabres before next season or no later than the 2012/2013 season.

Hmm, gess I'm not as dumm as some of you think I am. :blink:

I'll be the first in line to buy Amerks season tickets once this happens. The ole hockey barn will be rockin again....time to remove the tarps from sections 212 through 218.

I'll be the first in line to buy Amerks season tickets once this happens. The ole hockey barn will be rockin again....time to remove the tarps from sections 212 through 218.

Have you read any of this thread?

Have you read any of this thread?

Umm yeah, what's your point? When you have as much money as TP does, the contract w Portland is as good as the other TP.

Not sure how this ultimately works out but over time it will be settled and then the Sabre universe will be realigned and all will be be as it should have been and stayed.

Great news for Hockey and WNY. :thumbsup:

I think it's ur avatar :rolleyes:

NEW at 4:14 p.m.: The Associated Press is reporting that the Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the Amerks. The AP cites an unnamed source as saying there is no out clause with the Portland Pirates, so negotiations between the American Hockey League, the Pirates and the Sabres would need to continue (yes, I believe they’ve already begun that process).

http://blogs.democra...cle.com/kevino/

AP through YNN

http://buffalo.ynn.c...chester-amerks/

What? nobody believes me?

Umm yeah, what's your point? When you have as much money as TP does, the contract w Portland is as good as the other TP.

I highly doubt Portland is just going to tear up their contract with Buffalo. Don't pat yourself on the back for your post just yet.

If worst comes to worst Pegula may eat up the cost of rochester until 2014 and then simply be done with Portland. However Pegula and Black's demeanor over the past months leaves me to believe they will find Portland a suitable replacement and then part ways in good terms. My guess is that they already have someone in mind in that regards. I am unsure of teams that are looking for AHL affiliates but portland is a hockey town and I think many teams would not mind them being their affiliate.

Shrader! Who's boston AHL affiliate and is portland closer for them cuz that could be a good fit?

Who's boston AHL affiliate and is portland closer for them cuz that could be a good fit?

That would be the Providence P-Bruins, with one of the longest (and frankly, best suited) affiliations in the AHL (since their inception in 1992). According to this 2008 article, they're under contract with Boston through 2016.

So Boston's a big no.

In fact the relationship between Providence and Boston, like the former Sabres-Amerks agreement, is a great example of regionalization: Boston solidified all of Rhode Island as B's country by helping the formation of the Providence Bruins, a well-timed move five years before the Whalers left Hartford (which left southern New England to be divvied up by Boston and NY teams, spare a tinyass handful of Canes fans).

Pirates in the market for a new affiliate?

Published on: 17th May, 2011 by Chris Roy

Could the Portland Pirates be heading for another affiliation change?

It appears that way based on reports from both the Association Press and WGRZ in Buffalo, NY indicating the Buffalo Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the Rochester Americans, which would effectively end their relationship with the Pirates.

Link>>>>>

That would be the Providence P-Bruins, with one of the longest (and frankly, best suited) affiliations in the AHL (since their inception in 1992). According to this 2008 article, they're under contract with Boston through 2016.

So Boston's a big no.

In fact the relationship between Providence and Boston, like the former Sabres-Amerks agreement, is a great example of regionalization: Boston solidified all of Rhode Island as B's country by helping the formation of the Providence Bruins, a well-timed move five years before the Whalers left Hartford (which left southern New England to be divvied up by Boston and NY teams, spare a tinyass handful of Canes fans).

AHHHHH. Thank you very much for that. It seems they are not in, but I think the model is a good one to follow. I know several Rochester ppl here at UB who miss the days when they could watch a player like Miller develop and then go see him an hour down the road play for the big club. I love having hockey ppl running a hockey team.

I highly doubt Portland is just going to tear up their contract with Buffalo. Don't pat yourself on the back for your post just yet.

Open your eyes dude, the writing is on the wall and it has been for awhile. I know you are here in Rochester too so I am kinda surprised you didn't see this coming. I have been an Amerks fan since 1974 (I was 6) when the Bruins were the parent team and have followed them very closely ever since. That contract is most likely already torn up. And unfortunately I've had both shoulders surgically repaired so I really can't pat myself on the back, so I'll just gloat instead. LAMP LAMP :clapping:

Some good insight this article, but info presented there potentially scares the immediate flexibility needed for a Buffalo-Rochester affiliation:

If we're going to operate the Amerks, our contract with Portland needs to be terminated in some legal fashion. The most direct course of action is to buy out the contract, and this method is likely going to be easiest if another NHL club announces a letter of intent for an affiliation agreement with Portland.

So the real question is: is there another NHL club we can coerce work with to sign on with an affiliation with Portland.

FLA is the easy target NHL franchise: they were disappointed with Rochester, so they left, so maybe they'd be interested in Portland. But according to the article...

One such domino is the situation in Winnipeg where they are poised to possibly obtain an NHL franchise, forcing them to relocate their minor league franchise or shutter it for a season.

It’s expected that Tampa Bay will announce shortly that they will be leaving the Norfolk Admirals for the Syracuse Crunch, which will leave the Anaheim Ducks looking for a new parent club. They were affiliated with the Pirates from 2005-’08 before heading Des Moines.

There is also the belief that Florida will move their affiliation to Norfolk, Virginia to be closer to their base of operation in Miami.

TBL may vacate Norfolk for Syracuse, an attractive affiliation for FLA. TBL would bump Anaheim out of Syracuse. So Anaheim is left over, but they were the team that left Portland to begin with. Ugh.

If PHX or Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, and Vancouver gets left without a franchise (maybe by Manitoba Moose moving or folding), that could potentially start all sorts of teams moving and changing. It's that kind of liquidity, the availability of other teams to affiliate with Portland, that could help this thing out.

Here's the affiliation list:

AHL/NHL Team Affiliations

Abbotsford Heat (Calgary)          | Adirondack Phantoms (Philadelphia)
Albany Devils (New Jersey)         | Binghamton Senators (Ottawa)
Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NYI)      | Charlotte Checkers (Carolina )
Chicago Wolves (Atlanta)           | Grand Rapids Griffins (Detroit)
Hamilton Bulldogs (Montreal)       | Connecticut Whale (NY Rangers)
Hershey Bears (Washington)         | Houston Aeros (Minnesota)
Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado)      | Manchester Monarchs (LA)
Manitoba Moose (Vancouver)         | Milwaukee Admirals (Nashville)
Norfolk Admirals (Tampa Bay)       | Oklahoma City Barons (Edmonton)
Peoria Rivermen (St. Louis)        | Portland Pirates (Buffalo)
Providence Bruins (Boston)         | Rochester Americans (Florida)
Rockford IceHogs (Chicago)         | San Antonio Rampage (Phoenix)
Springfield Falcons (Columbus)     | Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim)
Texas Stars (Dallas)               | Toronto Marlies (Toronto)
W-B/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh) | Worcester Sharks (San Jose)

Quebec will need an AHL franchise... Maine and Quebec are geographically close. Just outrageously speculating... don't think outside the box, think inside the box's outside lines....

Archived