Confirmed: Pegula buys Amerks

Taro T

:thumbsup: Owning the Amerks would be ideal.

Yep, it'll help get guys to the Sabres quicker than a flight from Portland. Great news, thus far Terry has sure followed up with his statement that he would supply whatever resources necessary to win the cup. I've got a good feeling that positive change will be comming via better hockey players this summer.

I could imagine that the Sabres keep their players in Portland for next season and have another NHL team be affiliated with the Amerks next year until that team moves their players the following season to probably somewhere out west.

I could imagine that the Sabres keep their players in Portland for next season and have another NHL team be affiliated with the Amerks next year until that team moves their players the following season to probably somewhere out west.

Why wait?

The Portland affiliation must certainly have separation clauses.

Only finances separate this from getting done right away.

The current affiliate agreement runs through the 2013-14 season. The current agreement also does not include an out clause.

Maybe they'll be affiliated with the new Winnipeg Thrashers?

Speaking of Winnipeg, do they have to get approval from Phoenix to use the Jets name again, or do you think they'll stay as the Thrashers?

The current affiliate agreement runs through the 2013-14 season. The current agreement also does not include an out clause.

Maybe they'll be affiliated with the new Winnipeg Thrashers?

I'm sure that between his pocketbook and his connections within the NHL owners group, Terry could work out a separation agreement (including helping them find a new affiliate) that Portland would find worthwhile.

I agree with all of this, with key points bolded:

The Amerks were sold to a group headed by Steve Donner back in 1995, when the Knox brothers (Seymour and Northrup) owned the Sabres. Dan DiPofi was the chief financial officer for the Sabres and wrote up that sale agreement.

DiPofi was trying to write up another sale document in 2008, when Tom Golisano owned the Sabres. His management team wanted to buy the Amerks and operate the arena here, too. Donner, instead, sold to Styres.

Now Pegula owns the Sabres and, under new team president Ted Black, is launching an even more aggressive regionalization campaign. They want to expand the Sabres reach in Rochester and Southern Ontario. Owning the Amerks would be the perfect marketing tool; that’s how it was before the affiliation ended in 2008.

Sabres already tried to buy the Amerks only three years ago. Now with Pegula dollars and Pete Petrella/Ted Black (even more) heavily pushing for regionalization of the Sabres fan base, combined with the fact that Pegula's in laws are born-and-raised Amerks fans, it only seems like a matter of time/details($) before an agreement is reached.

Portland's been really good to us, but these reports don't convince me that our AHL destiny lies in Maine.

Speaking of Winnipeg, do they have to get approval from Phoenix to use the Jets name again, or do you think they'll stay as the Thrashers?

They'll be the Manitoba Moose if they don't get the Jets name. True North owns the AHL team, so they're free to use that name.

Edit: And on that note, that sale would also bring up the conflict of interest in ownership that we're talking about here.

NEW at 4:14 p.m.: The Associated Press is reporting that the Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the Amerks. The AP cites an unnamed source as saying there is no out clause with the Portland Pirates, so negotiations between the American Hockey League, the Pirates and the Sabres would need to continue (yes, I believe they’ve already begun that process).

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/

AP through YNN

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/top_stories/543683/ap-source--sabres-interested-in-rochester-amerks/

NEW at 4:14 p.m.: The Associated Press is reporting that the Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the Amerks. The AP cites an unnamed source as saying there is no out clause with the Portland Pirates, so negotiations between the American Hockey League, the Pirates and the Sabres would need to continue (yes, I believe they’ve already begun that process).

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/

AP through YNN

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/top_stories/543683/ap-source--sabres-interested-in-rochester-amerks/

Thanks for the info. jw normally has his ducks in a row.

Not for long...

I don't know about that for sure, I think the majority of the guys that Nolan had issues with are long gone, unless he still holds a grudge against Sabretooth, or the arena itself, or just the area. (even the logo and colours are different from when he was here)

I know he turned down coming to the alumni event, but I think he said it was due to some conflicting previously scheduled appointments/buisness

As for the Sabres and portland/Rochester, Could they not be affiliated with both teams until the agreement with Portland expires? If they could share an affiliation with another team, why can't they split one too and stock 2 AHL teams?

I don't know about that for sure, I think the majority of the guys that Nolan had issues with are long gone, unless he still holds a grudge against Sabretooth, or the arena itself, or just the area. (even the logo and colours are different from when he was here)

I know he turned down coming to the alumni event, but I think he said it was due to some conflicting previously scheduled appointments/buisness

Any idea what an AHL vice president of hockey operations does?

I'm thinking not very much.

As for the Sabres and portland/Rochester, Could they not be affiliated with both teams until the agreement with Portland expires? If they could share an affiliation with another team, why can't they split one too and stock 2 AHL teams?

They're limited to the number of players they can have under contract. Also, the AHL has been putting in a lot of work to get to a 30 NHL teams/30 AHL teams split. They probably won't be too crazy about breaking from that again.

They're limited to the number of players they can have under contract. Also, the AHL has been putting in a lot of work to get to a 30 NHL teams/30 AHL teams split. They probably won't be too crazy about breaking from that again.

Any idea how much an AHL franchise goes for? I'm thinking much less than $10 million.

More from JW:

"We are two-three days into our due diligence," a person familiar with negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of a confidentiality agreement that is in place.

A formal sale would be months away, and require clearing numerous hurdles. One obstacle is the Sabres' current affiliation agreement with the AHL Portland Pirates, which runs through the 2013-14 season

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/17/sports/s124021D48.DTL#ixzz1Me7zIt5I

The AHL governors would probably love the idea of Pegula owning a franchise, however.

And restoring Rochester as an anchor-type franchise in that division.

Archived