All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

"Buffalo Sabres: Terry Pegula jokingly suggested that players have rearview mirrors installed on their helmets to avoid legal hits. Every shift against Mike Richards(notes) would be like the scene in "Jurassic Park" where the jeep is being chased by the tyrannosaurus."

:clapping:

Just put a nice fat crosscheck in his teeth of the first faceoff he takes and problem solved.

All I want to see is more self-motivators on this team and fewer followers. If the Sabres had a locker room full of players who fought tooth and nail for the right to wear the "C" on their sweater, I'd be convinced we were heading in the right direction.

Laich 3.25- Roy 4- Stafford 3.65

Ennis .875- Pavelski 4- Pommers 5.3

Gerbe 1.4 - Gaustad 2.3- Vanek 7.1

Kaleta 1- McKormick .75 - Kassian .9

-Vanek and Laich could be switched up but I figured get scoring on all lines.

Myers 1.3 - Ehrhoff 4.75

Weber 1 - Gragani .9

Leopold 3 - Sekera 1.5

Markov 4 + Butler 1.2 as backups

Enroth1.4, = 53.625 without miller 6.25 or lalime @ .7

(I took ryan miller out just for fun because The "Philly series was a Microcosm of his Career") Fail.

I like it (I'm pretty sure we have very similar thoughts on what is needed). But we would definately need a backup winger to fill in during the weeks Kassian is suspended. :pirate:

I like it (I'm pretty sure we have very similar thoughts on what is needed). But we would definately need a backup winger to fill in during the weeks Kassian is suspended. :pirate:

Hahhaahhaaha nice. You know what, I'm pretty excited to see this kid up here. I know he's already got a reputation for boarderline/suspendable hits but if it makes a guy think twice about rushing into a corner then I'm fine with it. It's not like he can't play the game either, he's got decent skills. First power forward Buf has had in a long time....

All I want to see is more self-motivators on this team and fewer followers. If the Sabres had a locker room full of players who fought tooth and nail for the right to wear the "C" on their sweater, I'd be convinced we were heading in the right direction.

Agreed. Although I think we are starting to see a little bit of it right now. Vanek has mentioned the "C". And right after the season ended Myers did too. I'm pretty convinced that Gerbe would want in on that action. 'Bout freaking time we had some players that weren't content to wait around for something to come to them.

Agreed. Although I think we are starting to see a little bit of it right now. Vanek has mentioned the "C". And right after the season ended Myers did too. I'm pretty convinced that Gerbe would want in on that action. 'Bout freaking time we had some players that weren't content to wait around for something to come to them.

Do you mean Vanek and Myers mentoned they wanted the "C"? If so do you have a link because that would be incredible if Myers came out and said he wants it. I hope he did!

Putting Vanek in Prospective:

He is the 12th highest cap hit Forward in the League.

Since he signed the offer sheet:

He Ranks 9th out of the top 25 cap hitters in goals

He Ranks 19th out of the top 25 cap hitters in points

I'm not sure what else then man can do to prove he's worth the money for his production. He's not Ovechkin or Crosby, and his hit is 25% less than Ovi's amd 18% less than Malkin/Crosby.

I understand that the following chart does not account for injuries or separate centers vs. wingers. If someone else wants to attempt that, feel free, but here is the analysis (Data from CapGeek and ESPN.com):

Vanek_Production.pdf

Do you mean Vanek and Myers mentoned they wanted the "C"? If so do you have a link because that would be incredible if Myers came out and said he wants it. I hope he did!

Myers' comment was in a post season video interview. He said something about wanting a leadership role and I am pretty sure he mentioned that he would like to be captain at some point. Vanek's comment was in an audio interview that I heard at about the same time. He mentioned that he would welcome the C if it was offered. I believe they both came on locker cleanout day.

No link. I'm at work and too busy to spend the time. Maybe when I am home I'll see if I can dig one up.

Putting Vanek in Prospective:

He is the 12th highest cap hit Forward in the League.

Since he signed the offer sheet:

He Ranks 9th out of the top 25 cap hitters in goals

He Ranks 19th out of the top 25 cap hitters in points

I'm not sure what else then man can do to prove he's worth the money for his production. He's not Ovechkin or Crosby, and his hit is 25% less than Ovi's amd 18% less than Malkin/Crosby.

I understand that the following chart does not account for injuries or separate centers vs. wingers. If someone else wants to attempt that, feel free, but here is the analysis (Data from CapGeek and ESPN.com):

Vanek_Production.pdf

That's some good stuff right there. I'd like to add one thing about Vanek that never shows up on the score sheet. There are countless goals that he creates either by screening the goalie or the added attention he draws from a defenseman, opening up a teammate. If we're looking for problems within the team, Vanek is not the place to start.

Myers' comment was in a post season video interview. He said something about wanting a leadership role and I am pretty sure he mentioned that he would like to be captain at some point. Vanek's comment was in an audio interview that I heard at about the same time. He mentioned that he would welcome the C if it was offered. I believe they both came on locker cleanout day.

No link. I'm at work and too busy to spend the time. Maybe when I am home I'll see if I can dig one up.

Great. I wouldn't mind giving the C to Vanek but IMO it should go to Myers. I know I know the he's too young argument comes out. I'm not saying the kid is as good as Crosby but he's won a cup as a young captain. Ovechkin and E. Stall are also pretty young and wear the "C". Just feel like this is the franchise guy and why not give it to him now so two or three years from now when we're really contending for a cup, he'll have the experience of being a leader. Besides, we've had rotating captaincy and brought guys in to be captain in the past and that hasn't worked out. Just my opinion, flame away....

I'd like to throw another name into the July 1st ring - Erik Cole ... good size, not afraid to hit and get dirty, decent point totals and made only 2.9m last year. Might be a good fit ...

I'd take him.

I'd like to throw another name into the July 1st ring - Erik Cole ... good size, not afraid to hit and get dirty, decent point totals and made only 2.9m last year. Might be a good fit ...

I get the feeling that he's one of those guys that wants to be in Carolina. But if he is looking to move on, it looks like he has bounced back a bit from his decline of recent years. I can't imagine him getting much of a raise over that current salary though (minor nitpick: he made 3 million last yaer, 2.9 was the cap hit).

I get the feeling that he's one of those guys that wants to be in Carolina. But if he is looking to move on, it looks like he has bounced back a bit from his decline of recent years. I can't imagine him getting much of a raise over that current salary though (minor nitpick: he made 3 million last yaer, 2.9 was the cap hit).

Could be right about that although he is an Oswego boy and might consider Buff if the price/duration were good. To me, he's a lot like Stafford with a little more grit and toughness in the corners.

Could be right about that although he is an Oswego boy and might consider Buff if the price/duration were good. To me, he's a lot like Stafford with a little more grit and toughness in the corners.

Would someone from Oswego think anything about playing in buffalo? Did tim Connolly pine to be a Sabre growing up in the cuse? I think its a reach.

I wonder how many goals Cole scores are assisted by Staal.

Would someone from Oswego think anything about playing in buffalo? Did tim Connolly pine to be a Sabre growing up in the cuse? I think its a reach.

Maybe so, anything to get him out of Carolina and into Buffalo ... we need to get a little tougher ... like this ...

Maybe so, anything to get him out of Carolina and into Buffalo ... we need to get a little tougher ... like this ...

i

Cole hits a lot. I've always wondered how long he can keep it up. He's a nice player to have on a forecheck and has a nasty streak.(cheap shot artist?)

He attacks defense-men.

He just seems to fit in Carolina.

Cole hits a lot. I've always wondered how long he can keep it up. He's a nice player to have on a forecheck and has a nasty streak.(cheap shot artist?)

Hate to say it, but at this point I think we need one of those.

Last year Vanek was chopped down, this year it was Connolly.

Not that I mind Timmy missing time, but that check from behind could've been a broken neck, and I don't care who it is, you never want to see something like that.

I think it'a time the Sabres added a player who doesn't mind breaking other people's arms with a vicious slash once in a while, seeing as everyone else seems to have at least one or two of those.

Hate to say it, but at this point I think we need one of those.

Last year Vanek was chopped down, this year it was Connolly.

Not that I mind Timmy missing time, but that check from behind could've been a broken neck, and I don't care who it is, you never want to see something like that.

I think it'a time the Sabres added a player who doesn't mind breaking other people's arms with a vicious slash once in a while, seeing as everyone else seems to have at least one or two of those.

Why do you hate to say it? Players like that are anchors to winning teams. They keep the other teams' heads on swivels and demand respect on the ice. "Do whatever it takes" kind of players are what separates teams like Philly, Boston and Carolina from teams like Buffalo in the playoffs.

Do unto others before they do it unto you.

I wish darcy would hurry up and sign are RFA's so we can actually know what we need in FA. My guess is either hes the same old darcy and we should be heating our tar and getting our feathers ready OR he is negotiating contracts and discussing with black and tpegs what players and teams they want to target (i would totally say Mike Green or Ehrhoff for defense)

I wish darcy would hurry up and sign are RFA's so we can actually know what we need in FA. My guess is either hes the same old darcy and we should be heating our tar and getting our feathers ready OR he is negotiating contracts and discussing with black and tpegs what players and teams they want to target (i would totally say Mike Green or Ehrhoff for defense)

Has anyone else signed their RFA's yet? Patience grasshopper...

Or he's waiting to see what big trades he can make at the draft before signing any of them. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the latter is the case,

on another note i could do without mike green. We need more shutdown guys, and while yes, greens numbers are incredible (when he isn't hurt) i'd like to see grags and myers grow into the dominant PP quarterback we've been lacking for a while. anything you'd spend on him would be better spent getting a shutdown guy to teach our young guys IMO. he wouldn't be a bad acquisition, just not my first choice.

Archived