All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

SJ has Thorton, Marleu, Pavelski, Coture as centers. I feel like we could trade for one of the bottom two and the most likely is Pavelski.

San Jose would be nuts to trade Pavelski. They have him at 4m for the next 4 years.

But they are going to have cap problems...which means there will be the annual Marleau trade rumors.

Thank you at least someone recognizes that anything involving Weber, our only non puck moving yet hard nosed defense, is stupid. move sekera, butler, gragani, or even leo to get us a center.

ps I love how 2 months ago I was ridiculed for saying we should get Ehrhoff now its like the cool thing to say...

If you were saying this 2 months ago were you talking about the getting him at the deadline? Because that wouldn't have happened. I only remember you being ridiculed for have 25 posts saying the Sabres should get Pavelski lol. I'd still be down for a trade involving him though.

Thats why we should go for a Pavelski type player. Hes got positioning, hes only 4mil, hes on a team with too many centers, and hes +21 for his career with 244pts in 349 gp and he had 28 ppp last year so he knows how to work on a top pp. I have been favoring and arguing for him for months. SJ will have to at the end of the season sign a rw because basically the only one they have is a rfa. Stafford is someone i bet a lot of teams would show interest in this summer because of how he was scoring.

That's awesome, I didn't even read this post when I commented on your love for Pavelski. I'd like him in a Sabres uni as well but as posted above, it's very unlikely with his current salary. SJ likely won't give him up.

If you were saying this 2 months ago were you talking about the getting him at the deadline? Because that wouldn't have happened. I only remember you being ridiculed for have 25 posts saying the Sabres should get Pavelski lol. I'd still be down for a trade involving him though.

No i said ehrhoff in FA it would have made no sense for Van to trade him when they are going for the cup. I do however think they might not resign him. Ehrhoff is at the top of my list for UFA def. Hes only 28 and is a +74 for his career.

PS. Sorry I really think Pavelski might be the guy, cant help myself. i'll try to keep it to a dull roar over getting him.

If we're looking for value at center, it's not going to happen through trade. My guess is the trade market will involve high-end guys moving for prospects/picks to free up cap space. the $3-4M guys just aren't gonna get moved because they provide more bang for the buck to the teams up against the cap. I'd be looking at the FA market for Centers and maybe trades for D-men. This is predicated on the assumption that we don't need more scoring from our forwards.

That's awesome, I didn't even read this post when I commented on your love for Pavelski. I'd like him in a Sabres uni as well but as posted above, it's very unlikely with his current salary. SJ likely won't give him up.

Shouldn't all things be possible under Pegula?

Shouldn't all things be possible under Pegula?

Not saying it's not possible, but you would have to give up alot IMO to get him. It takes two to tango and San Jose (other than having great depth at forward) doesn't have much incentive to trade him. Even if they're up against the cap I would have to think they would look at other players to trade because 4 mil per for a very productive center is not a guy you would want to unload for salary cap purposes.

Not saying it's not possible, but you would have to give up alot IMO to get him. It takes two to tango and San Jose (other than having great depth at forward) doesn't have much incentive to trade him. Even if they're up against the cap I would have to think they would look at other players to trade because 4 mil per for a very productive center is not a guy you would want to unload for salary cap purposes.

It is when their top 3 forwards all have NTC in their contracts. Also their top defensman has a NTC. If they want cap relief to sign players especially non center forwards the next highest paid player that they can trade without having to worry about NTC stuff is Pavelski. It all depends on if they think Coture is their guy for the future. Also they will have 3 defense leaving in UFA this year so they could use a guy or two thats young on def. Also Devin Setoguchi is their top RW and hes a RFA. They might be interested in one of the sabres many rw and young defense. It makes more sense than people wanna admit.

Moving on... What teams do people think will blow up this summer? Some definitely will and I wonder if that could help the sabres... Although if darcy waits for the "market to set itself" than we are screwed and Pegula better be looking for another gm. And idk about Spezza, he could be the guy but hes been off the last 2 years.

So, rather than going after a #1 C and top Pair D, I'm throwing out the idea that we should go after 2 D a top Pair guy (my choice is Ehrhoff) and a solid 32-33 year old veteran. Better ability to clear our zone would probably increase scoring even more, and would certainly help alleviate the problems we're running into with the long change in the second period.

This statement above directly corresponds with this http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article412275.ece and both were published on the exact same day...

It is when their top 3 forwards all have NTC in their contracts. Also their top defensman has a NTC. If they want cap relief to sign players especially non center forwards the next highest paid player that they can trade without having to worry about NTC stuff is Pavelski. It all depends on if they think Coture is their guy for the future. Also they will have 3 defense leaving in UFA this year so they could use a guy or two thats young on def. Also Devin Setoguchi is their top RW and hes a RFA. They might be interested in one of the sabres many rw and young defense. It makes more sense than people wanna admit.

Moving on... What teams do people think will blow up this summer? Some definitely will and I wonder if that could help the sabres... Although if darcy waits for the "market to set itself" than we are screwed and Pegula better be looking for another gm. And idk about Spezza, he could be the guy but hes been off the last 2 years.

I don't know why anyone who liked the idea would not want to admit it. But anyways, moving on, I think Washington is the obvious choice because of the recent failure in the playoffs. Not sure who I'd love from that group that could be attainable. I could also see a team like NJ make some changes although they were so good down the stretch that they may reconsider. Going from winning the division to missing the playoffs after signing one of the biggest free agents in a long time is not excusable.

So.....if Sullivan says it, than all other thought processes are null and void? I don't see the plagiarism by LPF you're insinuating. <_<

nope, just interesting, an idea I offered up a few months ago restarts on this board the same day as Sully rights an article mentioning it. I am not implying anything.

This statement above directly corresponds with this http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article412275.ece and both were published on the exact same day...

I am embarrassed and insulted by the comparison. Other than the bit about Ehrhoff, I don't think they directly correspond. In fact the FA aquisition suggestions he makes are the opposite of mine. I'm saying pick up 2 D-men (1 top pair, 1 older veteran) and a servicable defense oriented centerman. Sully is saying we need a #1 Center and a top pair D-man. I'd say he is making the counter-point to my argument, not the same argument.

But yes, I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this.

I am embarrassed and insulted by the comparison. Other than the bit about Ehrhoff, I don't think they directly correspond. In fact the FA aquisition suggestions he makes are the opposite of mine. I'm saying pick up 2 D-men (1 top pair, 1 older veteran) and a servicable defense oriented centerman. Sully is saying we need a #1 Center and a top pair D-man. I'd say he is making the counter-point to my argument, not the same argument.

But yes, I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this.

I would be too. But I think you're right in that it is almost a counter-point.

I would honestly look into trading away a D-man or two of ours, and do what you're suggesting in getting 2,and I definitely agree with defense oriented centermen. How many times (and know this was mentioned previously numerous times) were the D-men pinching or moving up in the play, with the center staying up, resulting in us getting burned? If we have a more defense oriented center, whether he be first or second line, we might not get burned as much with as many odd-man rushes. Just was a thought to add on to what you're saying.

I would be too. But I think you're right in that it is almost a counter-point.

I would honestly look into trading away a D-man or two of ours, and do what you're suggesting in getting 2,and I definitely agree with defense oriented centermen. How many times (and know this was mentioned previously numerous times) were the D-men pinching or moving up in the play, with the center staying up, resulting in us getting burned? If we have a more defense oriented center, whether he be first or second line, we might not get burned as much with as many odd-man rushes. Just was a thought to add on to what you're saying.

The odd man rushes are only half the problem we have. A lot of our goals in the playoff series came from not being able to clear the puck out. A solid Defensive Forward is playing in the D-Zone until the puck comes out. My philosophy is to assign one of the wingers as the break-out man who flies out of the zone as soon as we gain possession. The other 2 are responsible for ensuring that the newly possessed puck makes it to our attacking zone. That's where we fail a lot. FWD support getting out of the zone, and young d-men taking that extra second to make a decision, causing a turnover on the clearing attempt. I think my plan addresses both of these issues.

SJ has Thorton, Marleu, Pavelski, Coture as centers. I feel like we could trade for one of the bottom two and the most likely is Pavelski.

Marleau hasn't played center for them in 3 years, stricly at LW this season.

Also Devin Setoguchi is their top RW and hes a RFA. They might be interested in one of the sabres many rw and young defense.

Heatley is their 2nd line RW.

But you're right, depending on how much the cap goes up they're going to have to cut salary somewhere as they only have roughly $7.5M right now to sign at least 7 players. One of which is Setoguchi, who will cost a fair amount ($3M?). They might be able to pull it off if the cap goes up another $2M though.

The odd man rushes are only half the problem we have. A lot of our goals in the playoff series came from not being able to clear the puck out. A solid Defensive Forward is playing in the D-Zone until the puck comes out. My philosophy is to assign one of the wingers as the break-out man who flies out of the zone as soon as we gain possession. The other 2 are responsible for ensuring that the newly possessed puck makes it to our attacking zone. That's where we fail a lot. FWD support getting out of the zone, and young d-men taking that extra second to make a decision, causing a turnover on the clearing attempt. I think my plan addresses both of these issues.

Very true. I want July 1 to be here asap with all this talk haha!

Very true. I want July 1 to be here asap with all this talk haha!

I am embarrassed and insulted by the comparison. Other than the bit about Ehrhoff, I don't think they directly correspond. In fact the FA aquisition suggestions he makes are the opposite of mine. I'm saying pick up 2 D-men (1 top pair, 1 older veteran) and a servicable defense oriented centerman. Sully is saying we need a #1 Center and a top pair D-man. I'd say he is making the counter-point to my argument, not the same argument. But yes, I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this.

First was I am not saying you got the idea from there, I was merely saying how the idea about Ehrhoff has started to take hold over the last week. Also I agree with you that I would like to see 2 vets come in. Ehrhoff and then maybe a guy whos a hard nosed def like a pronger. We should trade one of our young guns but we could just have 8 def for a bit to see who is worthy of being here, tough call with the cap.

Marleau hasn't played center for them in 3 years, stricly at LW this season.Heatley is their 2nd line RW.But you're right, depending on how much the cap goes up they're going to have to cut salary somewhere as they only have roughly $7.5M right now to sign at least 7 players. One of which is Setoguchi, who will cost a fair amount ($3M?). They might be able to pull it off if the cap goes up another $2M though.

Did not realize that Heatley is playing rw these days my bad. Either way I think they would trade Setoguchi if they could get staff for equal or less money but thats just my opinion.

I gave the washington thing some more thought and i dont want more guys on this team who vanish when the playoffs start. We saw that from boyes and a couple ppl so lets steer clear. Laich might be worth it as a good vet but it depends on his pricetag. Backstrom, just isnt worth it and I thnk Spezza would be better although if that means losing Ennis I say we look elswhere. If we lose Roy in the deal then we have to seriously consider if thats worth it with the way roy was going before he was hurt. Finally I like the idea of Leino as anyone who is undrafted and works hard enough to get into the league must be motivated. I just worry that his production would drop when not surrounded by Briere and company but hey you never know. Ug, I wish july 1 was upon us.

I'd settle for June 24. Trades at the draft have been a little slower lately, but we could see some movement.

+1 I think this is where we make our move. The free agent pool is soft this year and it will be on Darcy's shoulders to improve this team. The draft is where we can make the wheeling and dealings.

so i was just checking out phillies roster after they got eliminated to see what players were getting and such and they have 18 players that are signed for next year and there projected cap hit = 58.9mil so they have roughly depending on the cap raise 2-3mil to spend on 8 players... Predraft/FA trades might be possible there... Ironically Carter and Richards dont have any NTC before july 1 2012. Bothed are signed to forever though and jvr is only signed through next year. They have major cap troubles for the next 2 years so it will be interesting to see if hey move someone whos quite good just to dump cap.

ps. Pittsburg has a very similar situation.

so i was just checking out phillies roster after they got eliminated to see what players were getting and such and they have 18 players that are signed for next year and there projected cap hit = 58.9mil so they have roughly depending on the cap raise 2-3mil to spend on 8 players... Predraft/FA trades might be possible there... Ironically Carter and Richards dont have any NTC before july 1 2012. Bothed are signed to forever though and jvr is only signed through next year. They have major cap troubles for the next 2 years so it will be interesting to see if hey move someone whos quite good just to dump cap.

I think Philly moves Carter on or by draft day. They will try to get back picks and dump salary. I bet they move Versteeg too.

The Versteeg trade Philly made still has me shaking my head. ...they added him and not a goalie.

Archived