All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

That didn't stop the Sharks from letting their overpriced goalie walk and they seem to be doing OK.

If, and only if, we can pick up the goalie that just won the SC as well then I say trade Miller.

If, and only if, we can pick up the goalie that just won the SC as well then I say trade Miller.

There are a lot of goalies out there that are equal or better than Miller for a lot cheaper price.

Why would you not trade him if you had the opportunity? It's not like he is/was/or will ever be a difference maker.

His last 3 playoff series, he is 0-3. Any jamoke goalie in the league can do that.

There are a lot of goalies out there that are equal or better than Miller for a lot cheaper price.

Why would you not trade him if you had the opportunity? It's not like he is/was/or will ever be a difference maker.

His last 3 playoff series, he is 0-3. Any jamoke goalie in the league can do that.

Really ? Who did you have in mind ? Vokoun, Giguere, maybe Bryzgalov and he would only be slightly cheaper.

As far as being 0-3 in the playoffs, the goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him.

Really ? Who did you have in mind ? Vokoun, Giguere, maybe Bryzgalov and he would only be slightly cheaper.

As far as being 0-3 in the playoffs, the goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him.

Which is why you spend the big money on D rather then G. ;)

The Sabres get swept by Philly if they had "any jamoke goalie" in there. Goalie is the least of their problems. Why purposely make yourself weaker in your strongest area when you have the resources now to get stronger elsewhere AND still keep your goalie?

EDIT: and you're really gonna pin the 2011 Flyers series (2 SO), 2010 Bruins Series (9.26 sv%), and 2007 EC Finals on miller?

I really want an answer to this. I don't see any vezina winners with multiple playoff shutouts that are under $5M let alone "a lot cheaper"

Which is why you spend the big money on D rather then G. ;)

Luongo, Roloson, Niemi, and Thomas. All 4 of them were either A) great once and seem to have found just a little more magic, or B) are good now and will be for awhile. Luongo is in the top 5, Thomas top 2, and Niemi is still young but fighting for his second cup. Look at a host of other teams that didnt even make the playoffs because their goaltending is such garbage that their defense could allow 1 shot a game and they would still lose.

You either need an elite goalie to win or you need a goalie thats young and coming into his prime or old but has 1 more run left in him. Trading Miller because we think Enroth will be amazing this offseason is stupid. Next Offseason maybe. If Enroth comes in and plays great than yup lets do it but right now all we know is that teams are still writing the book on the kid.

Why dont we trade something we have 40 of like ooo idk DEFENSEMEN. Trade Leopold hes gotta be worth something. What about Sekera? Hes young and was impressive get someone to overpay there. How about Hecht, or 1 of our good RW Pommers (lots of teams would love him srry hes a 60-70pt a season guy and is still younger) or Drew we all think hes worth 5mil so lets trade him an someone else can spend 5 mil on him, Boyes I dont see getting traded unless we get back a little more than the pick we gave up. Butler was bad in the playoffs so trade him. Morrisonn might be worht something to someone with a young def so ditch him.

Basically, I have no desire, to be here a year from now, complaining about how we need a goalie because we traded miller for spezza or whoever.

The Sabres get swept by Philly if they had "any jamoke goalie" in there. Goalie is the least of their problems. Why purposely make yourself weaker in your strongest area when you have the resources now to get stronger elsewhere AND still keep your goalie?

Having Pegula as owner doesn't give the Sabres extra cap space or additional assets to acquire players with trades. Top tier players are in limited supply in free agency. And if trades are more likely as many here have discussed Miller can be a huge chip to play. The Sabres can go with Entoth and a veteran goalie and use Miller and the cap savings to build up at defense and center.

Luongo, Roloson, Niemi, and Thomas. All 4 of them were either A) great once and seem to have found just a little more magic, or B) are good now and will be for awhile. Luongo is in the top 5, Thomas top 2, and Niemi is still young but fighting for his second cup. Look at a host of other teams that didnt even make the playoffs because their goaltending is such garbage that their defense could allow 1 shot a game and they would still lose.

You either need an elite goalie to win or you need a goalie thats young and coming into his prime or old but has 1 more run left in him. Trading Miller because we think Enroth will be amazing this offseason is stupid. Next Offseason maybe. If Enroth comes in and plays great than yup lets do it but right now all we know is that teams are still writing the book on the kid.

Why dont we trade something we have 40 of like ooo idk DEFENSEMEN. Trade Leopold hes gotta be worth something. What about Sekera? Hes young and was impressive get someone to overpay there. How about Hecht, or 1 of our good RW Pommers (lots of teams would love him srry hes a 60-70pt a season guy and is still younger) or Drew we all think hes worth 5mil so lets trade him an someone else can spend 5 mil on him, Boyes I dont see getting traded unless we get back a little more than the pick we gave up. Butler was bad in the playoffs so trade him. Morrisonn might be worht something to someone with a young def so ditch him.

Basically, I have no desire, to be here a year from now, complaining about how we need a goalie because we traded miller for spezza or whoever.

Leopold, Stafford, Ennis, Kassian, Sekera and whoever will not bring in the significant return needed to make the impact needed. Being locked into same players and being unwilling to move them is Status Que at it's finest. As long as this franchise continues down that same path it will never lead to a Stanley Cup.

Having Pegula as owner doesn't give the Sabres extra cap space or additional assets to acquire players with trades. Top tier players are in limited supply in free agency. And if trades are more likely as many here have discussed Miller can be a huge chip to play. The Sabres can go with Entoth and a veteran goalie and use Miller and the cap savings to build up at defense and center.

we have a ton of defense. after next season 12 million dollars will come off the books. The cap will go out to at least 62 this year. SO you put that all together and we could sign a defender for 5mil and get a 8mil a yr center and still be fine and able to sign the young guys without touching millers contract for another year or two.

we have a ton of defense. after next season 12 million dollars will come off the books. The cap will go out to at least 62 this year. SO you put that all together and we could sign a defender for 5mil and get a 8mil a yr center and still be fine.

How much of that "12 million" is going to go to Myers.

The goal isn't to be "fine." It's to win a Stanley Cup. They are more than 1 center and 1 blueliner away at this point.

The goal isn't to be "fine." It's to win a Stanley Cup. They are more than 1 center and 1 blueliner away at this point.

Myers is going to go up to like 3-4mil cap hit for probably 3-5yrs and Actually sadly enough if this team is patient enough we will have the best blueline in the nhl within the next 3 years. We are def lacking at center and I dont want them to be fine I want them to be great but I dont think this summer trading miller helps to make you great.

EDIT: 3 years from now this will be our Blue Line: Myers, Weber, Grags and maybe sekera or butler. Plus we should have McNabb and Pysyk who will either be rookies or have 2yrs of experience. That blueline with the addition of a vet like Ehrhoff or Markov would be amazing. Myers, Weber, McNabb, MAG, Ehrhoff, Sekera/Butler and Pysyk.

Myers is going to go up to like 3-4mil cap hit for probably 3-5yrs and Actually sadly enough if this team is patient enough we will have the best blueline in the nhl within the next 3 years. We are def lacking at center and I dont want them to be fine I want them to be great but I dont think this summer trading miller helps to make you great.

It would depend on the return. I'm not advocating trading Miller solely to free the cap space. He is a valuable asset that can be turned into a game changer or at least an accumulation of other assets that can be moved in separate trades. As in any trade there is no guarantee of results. The only guarantee is that Status Quo is a recipe for continued failures.

[/b]

It would depend on the return. I'm not advocating trading Miller solely to free the cap space. He is a valuable asset that can be turned into a game changer or at least an accumulation of other assets that can be moved in separate trades. As in any trade there is no guarantee of results. The only guarantee is that Status Quo is a recipe for continued failures.

I see your point. If the return was indeed a top elite player like a malkin somehow someway through a trade of Miller, that I would be understand. I am just not about to trade miller for richards/carter. And trading miller to free up 4mil in cap space, which I know is not what you are saying, is also stupid considering that you could just not resign boyes next summer and would free up that much.

All that being said, Miller is the center of this team so trading him could have a negative fallout for guys in the lockeroom, or a positive one but I would lean a little towards negative.

$21.5M available this season, $23.5 when you send Morrisonn to Portland/Rochester

$5M for Stafford

$5M for Defenseman

$6M for Centerman

$1.5M For Gerbe

$1.5M for Sekera

$1M for Weber

$1M for Butler

$0.850 for MAG

$0.650 for McCormick

$1M for Enroth

You need more space? I don't see it.

Then next year you lose Boyes and Jochen ($7.5M) plus cap increase will be more than enough to resign the tylers.

IMO, you change for the sake of change is reckless. We don't need the $2-3M we could save on miller, and anyone worth trading for miller (We ain't gonna get a 50 goal scorer or a top 5 center, they just aren't available) would not be able to make up for the downgrade in net.

If you can get me Datsuk for Miller, I'm all for it, but Pavel "Ain't goin' nowhere"

Signing Christian Ehrhoff and Books Laich would hardly be status quo. Dumping Timmy too. your making changes on you top D-pair and #2 scoring line. The team looks totally different for 20 minutes a night. You want 2 new centers? sure, Trade young D and picks for a better 3rd liner ($2-3M range) and move Goose to #4. I'm fine with that.

How is that status quo?

$21.5M available this season, $23.5 when you send Morrisonn to Portland/Rochester

$5M for Stafford

$5M for Defenseman

$6M for Centerman

$1.5M For Gerbe

$1.5M for Sekera

$1M for Weber

$1M for Butler

$0.850 for MAG

$0.650 for McCormick

$1M for Enroth

You need more space? I don't see it.

Then next year you lose Boyes and Jochen ($7.5M) plus cap increase will be more than enough to resign the tylers.

IMO, you change for the sake of change is reckless. We don't need the $2-3M we could save on miller, and anyone worth trading for miller (We ain't gonna get a 50 goal scorer or a top 5 center, they just aren't available) would not be able to make up for the downgrade in net.

If you can get me Datsuk for Miller, I'm all for it, but Pavel "Ain't goin' nowhere"

If Darcy gives Stafford that kind of contract, I'm gonna flat out lose my mind, as it'll firmly show that NOTHING has changed in Sabreland.

If Darcy gives Stafford that kind of contract, I'm gonna flat out lose my mind, as it'll firmly show that NOTHING has changed in Sabreland.

The other option is to make him a UFA and let him walk. I guarantee he gets that kind of money in arbitration.

Edit: I suppose you would trade his rights for something, although probably nothing significant.

I would rather trade stafford than give him 5mil. Hes worth 4 not 5. Hes barely gotten to 50pts in the last 4 seasons and even this year he scored 12 of his goals in 4 games, or he scored 19 goals in 78 games... not that good. I mean Gerbe's 16 goals in 64 games is better, or think of it this way. Ennis had 49 pts would you give him 5mil a year? I wouldnt. Drew isnt that good or if he is he has not proven it yet. 4mil is about right again I point to Rene Bourque, 3.3mil a year and he has about 50 pts a year. same type production and he isnt getting 5mil a year. Besides if it looks like stafford could be had a team like edmonton will throw out an offer sheet and Hey I am good with edmontons first round pick next year and there 2nd.

\

Also if stafford is b*tchy and makes this team go to arbitration cuz he thinks hes worth that, than let him walk we have enough premadona problems without his bs.

EDIT: I forgot that drew didnt play 82 games so it would actually be 58games and 19 goals. Sorry

Staffords Career

Year ---------Team-----GP-----G----A----Pts----+/-__GW----SOG----Pct

2006-07--------BUF-----41----13---14----27-----5------3-----67-----.194

2007-08--------BUF-----64----16---22----38-----3------5-----103----.155

2008-09--------BUF-----79----20---25----45-----3------0-----183----.109

2009-10--------BUF-----71----14---20----34-----4------1-----181----.077

2010-11--------BUF-----62----31---21----52-----13-----4-----179----.173

Career___________317----94---102---196---28-----13----713----.132

I would rather trade stafford than give him 5mil. Hes worth 4 not 5. Hes barely gotten to 50pts in the last 4 seasons and even this year he scored 12 of his goals in 4 games, or he scored 19 goals in 78 games... not that good. I mean Gerbe's 16 goals in 64 games is better, or think of it this way. Ennis had 49 pts would you give him 5mil a year? I wouldnt. Drew isnt that good or if he is he has not proven it yet. 4mil is about right again I point to Rene Bourque, 3.3mil a year and he has about 50 pts a year. same type production and he isnt getting 5mil a year. Besides if it looks like stafford could be had a team like edmonton will throw out an offer sheet and Hey I am good with edmontons first round pick next year and there 2nd.

\

Also if stafford is b*tchy and makes this team go to arbitration cuz he thinks hes worth that, than let him walk we have enough premadona problems without his bs.

If he gets to arbitration, our only option would be to sign or buyout.

I don't want to pray for an offersheet. Trade him for a 2nd round pick or sign him at $4-5M I wa sbeing generous with my numbers to make the point that we don't need to free up cap space and don't need to "save" money for next year when the tylers come up.

How does him utilizing his arbitration right make him a primadonna? Letting an asset walk for nothing based on spite seems wasteful, foolish and similar to the types of moves the team has made in the past (Briere).

Archived