All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

When will the sabres be able to start making trades and signing people?????????

they can sign anyone on their roster now and I am unsure about trades I think you can with anyone not still in the playoffs. Cant start signing players from other teams until after JULY 1

Anyone else been playing frantically with CapGeek's Calculator?

I put in a $63M Cap and did this without any trades. No Bonus Cushion.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)

Brad Boyes ($4.000m) / Brooks Laich ($3.000m) / Tyler Ennis ($0.875m)

Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.200m)

Jochen Hecht ($3.525m) / John Madden ($1.500m) / Drew Stafford ($2.700m)

Cody McCormick ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Tyler Myers ($1.300m) / Bryan McCabe ($6.000m)

Jordan Leopold ($3.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($5.000m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.850m) / Andrej Sekera ($1.200m)

Mike Weber ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS: Tim Kennedy ($0.166m)

Butler signs Two Way Deal and gets assigned to portland or his rights get traded for picks.

Connolly becomes someone elses mistake.

I like the upgrade to Madden from Greir/Neids.

$$ went to build a stud blue-line rather than a big time Centerman.

I think Laich costs more than $3M, probably between $4M-$4.5M, but I like it alot. There's also no way you're getting Stafford signed at $2.7M, he'll go to arbitration if that's the qualifying offer or all they're offering him long term. The way arbitrations been going could end up somewhere between $4M & $5M.

I'd love to trade Stafford + for a center of some type and replace him with Laich.

Anyone else been playing frantically with CapGeek's Calculator?

I put in a $63M Cap and did this without any trades. No Bonus Cushion.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)

Brad Boyes ($4.000m) / Brooks Laich ($3.000m) / Tyler Ennis ($0.875m)

Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.200m)

Jochen Hecht ($3.525m) / John Madden ($1.500m) / Drew Stafford ($2.700m)

Cody McCormick ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Tyler Myers ($1.300m) / Bryan McCabe ($6.000m)

Jordan Leopold ($3.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($5.000m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.850m) / Andrej Sekera ($1.200m)

Mike Weber ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($1.200m)

So just so I am clear, you want a LW to play second line center on the sabres? I am not saying Laich doesnt play center I am saying I was under the impression he was a winger first. Thats part of the issue with the sabres is we have a bunch of natural wingers playing center. HOWEVER: I WANT HIM ON THIS TEAM. Guys the whole package and hes like grier but younger and better and tougher. Sabres should make an effort to get him as a grier/nieds replacement and I think right around 3-3.5mil is fairly accurate.

you wanna pay 36yr bryan mccabe 6mil a year for how many years precisely? Also what are you leaving for next year when we need to resign Myers and Ennis? If any def deserved 6 mil I would go with Markov and that would be about it. Idk if this team would work on the ice because there is literally zero center depth on it and I worry about a defense with a 36 yr old guy getting 6mil a year.

Final thought is that drew gets 3.25+ in salary, anything under that is laughable at this point. I think 3.5 makes sense for him but hey Idk. I just feel that 2.7 is insulting when I bet an offer sheet for at least 3.5 could be worked by his agent in a heartbeat.

Interesting team and I think you def hit on someone Sabres fans wanna see in Brooks. That guy would add leadership and I think him and gerbe together would be awesome.

I think Laich costs more than $3M, probably between $4M-$4.5M, but I like it alot. There's also no way you're getting Stafford signed at $2.7M, he'll go to arbitration if that's the qualifying offer or all they're offering him long term. The way arbitrations been going could end up somewhere between $4M & $5M.

I'd love to trade Stafford + for a center of some type and replace him with Laich.

I don't see him getting Roy type money, even last season he didn't put up those kind of numbers. I would be perfectly content trading away his rights if he's looking for $3M+

Qualifying offer would be $2.3M and he's not good enough to risk sitting out a season.

Qualifying offer would be $2.3M and he's not good enough to risk sitting out a season.

He won't have to, he'll go to arbitration. Then who knows what happens. MacArthur was awarded $2.4M after scoring 16 goals & 19 assists, 35 pts total, in 81 games. a .43 PPG pace. Stafford had 31 goals and 52 pts in only 61 games. I have a feeling he's going to get more than 300k than the General.

Also, Roy signed his contract extension in 2007, it's not really a valid comparison.

He won't have to, he'll go to arbitration. Then who knows what happens. MacArthur was awarded $2.4M after scoring 16 goals & 19 assists, 35 pts total, in 81 games. a .43 PPG pace. Stafford had 31 goals and 52 pts in only 61 games. I have a feeling he's going to get more than 300k than the General.

Also, Roy signed his contract extension in 2007, it's not really a valid comparison.

I agree that Staff is looking for larger money than 2.7 but the MacArthur 'arbitration award' was not exactly at market. As this article points out the Thrashers were basically going to walk away from the player regardless of what the player demanded. "When it came time to meet with an arbitrator, the Thrashers simply asked for the award to be presented immediately, based on the player’s demands, so they could then walk away from the contract."

Article

whether we like it or not drew had 31goals and 52 points, if my math is right that equates to 4mil in this league if he went to fa easily. So if you look around and find guys with similar point totals you get around 3.5ish for the last couple of years (im thinking rene borque who gets 3.3) so idk but 2.7 isnt going to happen ever

I agree that Staff is looking for larger money than 2.7 but the MacArthur 'arbitration award' was not exactly at market. As this article points out the Thrashers were basically going to walk away from the player regardless of what the player demanded. "When it came time to meet with an arbitrator, the Thrashers simply asked for the award to be presented immediately, based on the player’s demands, so they could then walk away from the contract."

Article

Well that was a big waste of time. Anyway, I'm not so sure any previous arbitration case is a good comparison for Stafford. Like Lanny said, he put up 30 goals in a short season this year. I can't remember too many guys with those numbers going to arbitration. The most recent one that comes to mind is the Rangers walking away after Nik Zherdev was awarded $3.9 million after a 23-35-58 season (a full 82 games). His career high was 27 goals, so it's not like he was being paid for past numbers. Drew's going to do really well if/when he goes to arbitration.

anyone catch this from hockeybuzz the other day?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/travis_yost_will_buffalo_and_ottawa_make_some_trade_noise_at_the_draft/4687372

do we want another Foligno? I'd say why not......

I think I would do that trade mentioned in the article. He is under contract next season for $1.2 mil and then becomes a RFA. If Lindy can get him to be a 20 goal, 50 pt guy then he will be good value.

Makes sense.

I say let him walk then, we have enough money already tied up in "show up when I feel like it" talent.

Makes sense.

I say let him walk then, we have enough money already tied up in "show up when I feel like it" talent.

Unlike a MacArthur, he'll actually have trade value though. There will be no reason to just let him walk.

anyone catch this from hockeybuzz the other day?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/travis_yost_will_buffalo_and_ottawa_make_some_trade_noise_at_the_draft/4687372

do we want another Foligno? I'd say why not......

I've never heard of this guy - Yost. But if that would be a fair deal.

But I think Buffalo can package that pick and a player for something better up the middle.

Nick Foligno can play some center, but I think he's more of a natural wing.

Unlike a MacArthur, he'll actually have trade value though. There will be no reason to just let him walk.

But will the Sabres have a choice if he goes to arbitration? Won't he be a UFA if they decline his award? I have to admit, I don't usually pay much attention to the arbitration process, so I don't know.

Let's say the arbitrator gives him something like 4.5 or 5 mill. a year, and the Sabres sign him to that, I'd say that leaves his trade value at pretty much rock bottom.

Makes sense.

can't say I ever had the sense that Stafford was taking shifts off...

What I can say is Brad Boyes moving to center didn't help open much ice for Stafford. A decent center between them would be a very solid line.

can't say I ever had the sense that Stafford was taking shifts off...

What I can say is Brad Boyes moving to center didn't help open much ice for Stafford. A decent center between them would be a very solid line.

I was less inclined to think that way this past season, but he is still very, VERY hot and cold.

He and Vanek need to be clutch, or at least one of them has to be, and neither are. Do the Sabres give up Stafford in the hopes of picking up a "clutch" player? He's about the best hope they have for getting one, I think. Or Roy. Either of the latter have value on the market, and Roy is certainly more valuable on the team than not (loathe as I am to admit it).

But will the Sabres have a choice if he goes to arbitration? Won't he be a UFA if they decline his award? I have to admit, I don't usually pay much attention to the arbitration process, so I don't know.

Let's say the arbitrator gives him something like 4.5 or 5 mill. a year, and the Sabres sign him to that, I'd say that leaves his trade value at pretty much rock bottom.

You'd have to have the foresight to trade him before arbitration, so the new team could work out an extension with him. Either way his value takes a hit this offseason because he is due a hefty raise, that he will get one way or the other, that many realize he may not be worth.

Yes, if they reject his award, he's an UFA. The only reason they would have to do that though is if it put them in immediate cap jail. Otherwise, even with a bad contract, he's going to have trade value. It would only be a one year deal and they would definitely be able to find someone who could work with a single year of a bad contract. We're not talking about a Lecavalier-type albatross of a contract. 30 goal scorers don't grow on trees.

You wanna pay 36yr bryan mccabe 6mil a year for how many years precisely? Also what are you leaving for next year when we need to resign Myers and Ennis? If any def deserved 6 mil I would go with Markov and that would be about it. Idk if this team would work on the ice because there is literally zero center depth on it and I worry about a defense with a 36 yr old guy getting 6mil a year.

I'm willing to go with a cap hit of $6M for a 3 year contract. If he want's 5+ years, the Kovalchuk rules apply and I don't even want to go into what that would mean. Defensemen like McCabe have a pretty good shelf life, and here are some comparibles:

Name Age Cap

Timonen 36 $6.3M

Chara 34 $7.5M

Boyle 34 $6.7M

Lidstrom 41 $6.2M

Refalski 37 $6.0M

Boyes + Hecht + Cap increase + NEW CBA = not worried about money for next year.

I'm willing to go with a cap hit of $6M for a 3 year contract. If he want's 5+ years, the Kovalchuk rules apply and I don't even want to go into what that would mean. Defensemen like McCabe have a pretty good shelf life, and here are some comparibles:

Name Age Cap

Timonen 36 $6.3M

Chara 34 $7.5M

Boyle 34 $6.7M

Lidstrom 41 $6.2M

Refalski 37 $6.0M

If you're pointing out someone's shelf life, I'm not so sure listing people his age or younger really shows anything. The one guy that does stand out there, though, is Lidstrom. The guy's a freak of nature. He also just happens to be the greatest defenseman of this generation. There's no one else in the game today that's even remotely like him.

The big strike against McCabe after his age is the amount of hockey he's missed in the last few years. That's a major concern with an older defenseman.

Yes, if they reject his award, he's an UFA. The only reason they would have to do that though is if it put them in immediate cap jail. Otherwise, even with a bad contract, he's going to have trade value. It would only be a one year deal and they would definitely be able to find someone who could work with a single year of a bad contract. We're not talking about a Lecavalier-type albatross of a contract. 30 goal scorers don't grow on trees.

I'd be trying to trade him at the draft if he is pushing for a 1 year payday in arbitration. He won't elect arbitration untill the beginning of July. Also, something like 4-5 arbitration awards were walked away from or immediately bought out last year. That's going to be in his mind, knowing that arbitration is not the best way to a payday. Either way, I don't see him amking it to arbitration. I'd be willing to send him off for a 2nd round pick if he is asking more than 3.25. Of course if the cap goes up to $65M rather than $63, I say go ahead and take the arbitration deal and keep him, he's a good player even if he scores in less than 25% of the games.

If you're pointing out someone's shelf life, I'm not so sure listing people his age or younger really shows anything. The one guy that does stand out there, though, is Lidstrom. The guy's a freak of nature. He also just happens to be the greatest defenseman of this generation. There's no one else in the game today that's even remotely like him.

The big strike against McCabe after his age is the amount of hockey he's missed in the last few years. That's a major concern with an older defenseman.

Valid. And he made around $4M this year. In addition, I may have let my brother whisper sweet nothings about him in my ear one too many times. I'll change my mind to Markov or Wienewski (Assuming MTL Can't keep both).

Archived