All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

If we're paying Pommer 5.3 and Vanek 7 mill, I say Richards is worth at least 7 and possibly 8.

I like Malkin and see your point, but you asked what the difference between Richards and Roy was, and the difference IMHO is staggering.

OK, I'll concede a slight edge to Richards over Roy; Roy was on a point a game pace before the injury this year which would've put him in the top 5

centers in the league this year. As far as Richard's Conn Smythe and playoff points, most of those came in 2003-2004 and he had a pretty good supporting cast.

Richards made 7.8m this year and will probably be looking for a long-term deal at Eric Staal money or slightly higher (8.5m). I still can't see how we

can afford him. Hypothetically with Richards at 8.5, Vanek 7.1, Pommers 5.3, Miller 6.2, Boyes 4.0, we're at 31m already. Myers will be looking at 4-5m next year.

How do you pay the rest of the supporting cast ? And wouldn't you expect Malkin/Crosby/H.Sedin type numbers out of Richards for 8.5m ?

OK, I'll concede a slight edge to Richards over Roy; Roy was on a point a game pace before the injury this year which would've put him in the top 5

centers in the league this year. As far as Richard's Conn Smythe and playoff points, most of those came in 2003-2004 and he had a pretty good supporting cast.

Richards made 7.8m this year and will probably be looking for a long-term deal at Eric Staal money or slightly higher (8.5m). I still can't see how we

can afford him. Hypothetically with Richards at 8.5, Vanek 7.1, Pommers 5.3, Miller 6.2, Boyes 4.0, we're at 31m already. Myers will be looking at 4-5m next year.

How do you pay the rest of the supporting cast ? And wouldn't you expect Malkin/Crosby/H.Sedin type numbers out of Richards for 8.5m ?

Boyes goes away next year so there is 4mil you could pay myers.

On the draft thread they are talking statsny which is intriguing but Xbenedict mentioned Berglund which i think would be better in the long run. 22yrs old and hes 6'4" and hes a center who we might be able to trade for. Hes an RFA they have moved Backes to center and have andy mcdonald. They just picked up chris stewart so I am curious to know if say a stafford and butler would persuade them. Hes someone whos attainable and has skills.

Richards would be fun for a year or two....but I really don't want him locked up long term. I think trying to find centers under age 28 is the way to go.

Here's an idea...assuming the Rangers are in play for Richards...which I think they will be. They will need to shed salary.

They also have Chris Krieder coming up soon.

Buffalo could take on salary by agreeing to get Drury and Dubinsky without much going out.

Buffalo might be the one place that Drury might be willing to go.

That is why I would trade a pick to Dallas for negotiating rights before July 1st. Let's see if the Pegula Magic is real.

There is room to sign Richards. If more room is needed it can be made. First off Stafford is at the bottom of the list of priorities. Myers is signed for another year. He can be next off-seasons top priority. Not to mention moving players like Boyes, Hecht and Morrisonn. Those three players alone can save $9.5 mil of cap space if traded or sent to the minors.

Myers re-signing should be the top priority after July 1 AFTER they've wooed (and hopefully landed) any UFA's they're after and they've got their plan worked out for taking care of this year's RFA's.

Hecht, Boyes, and Morrisonn all come off the books after next year and Tyler's new contract wouldn't hit the books until it kicks in in '12-'13 so there would be plenty of room on paper for his new deal. (No idea how things will work under the next CBA, but I'd be surprised if it is significantly different than the current deal.) Get that one done now and show the team and league another example of how business will be done differently than it was in the past.

Richards would be fun for a year or two....but I really don't want him locked up long term. I think trying to find centers under age 28 is the way to go.

Here's an idea...assuming the Rangers are in play for Richards...which I think they will be. They will need to shed salary.

They also have Chris Krieder coming up soon.

Buffalo could take on salary by agreeing to get Drury and Dubinsky without much going out.

Buffalo might be the one place that Drury might be willing to go.

At this point though, why on earth would we want Drury? His salary is ludicrous for what he brings these days.

Dubinsky is another matter I think, but I'll pass on Drury.

Morrisonn you dont buy out you trade him this summer or at the deadline when someones desperate or you send him to portland.

Stafford gets a offer sheet for at least 5 mil and we get a bunch picks so I would say c-yah, I am not paying him pommers money when hes never done anything except for one time make it to 30 goals.

Hecht has skills that no one ever sees because hes another one of those stupid defensive forwards that we keep bringing in for some stupid reason. I bet you could trade him to a team like edmonton or somewhere that needs a vet with his skills for a couple years

Brad Richards is a playmaker for Vanek thats why you go after him. You wanna talk Malkin then fine, hes Pittsburg best or second best player and hes singed for a few years so to pry him out of there is gonna take something more than pegula magic. The only thing here is that we have guys in the front office like Black who have ties to pittsburg.

Stamkos forget it and move on hes not going anywhere.

I always thought Hecht would be a perfect fit in Detroit. A veteran third/fourth line guy who is versatile. For a team like Buffalo that is light on top tier talent he is a luxury they just can't afford right now, not at $3.5.

At this point though, why on earth would we want Drury? His salary is ludicrous for what he brings these days.

Dubinsky is another matter I think, but I'll pass on Drury.

The Sabres wouldn't have much interest in Drury, but he'd be brought along to keep the cost of Dubinsky low because Dubinsky would be the cost of cap relief (read: Drury) for the Strangers to get what they really want (Richards).

Considering the Sabres' lack of center depth, provided not too much other than $'s go to NY, I'd be happy w/ that, as Dubinsky would look very good in b&g and Drury could center the 3rd line when healthy.

The Sabres wouldn't have much interest in Drury, but he'd be brought along to keep the cost of Dubinsky low because Dubinsky would be the cost of cap relief (read: Drury) for the Strangers to get what they really want (Richards).

Considering the Sabres' lack of center depth, provided not too much other than $'s go to NY, I'd be happy w/ that, as Dubinsky would look very good in b&g and Drury could center the 3rd line when healthy.

That was exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks :)

IF and ONLY IF you get Dubinsky with Drury for say a pick and something else do you go for that. Drury is a waste of 7mil in cap space but if you can pick him up and ditch him after this year than he could be niedermyer 2.0 for the year and Dubinsky can be someone helping us long term. Its a bold plan tthat I dont think the sabres brass can pull off.

IF and ONLY IF you get Dubinsky with Drury for say a pick and something else do you go for that. Drury is a waste of 7mil in cap space but if you can pick him up and ditch him after this year than he could be niedermyer 2.0 for the year and Dubinsky can be someone helping us long term. Its a bold plan tthat I dont think the sabres brass can pull off.

The Rangers need the salary dump. Is Drury worth $7 million?...no way.

But Sather will need to make room if he wants to shuffle the deck.

Sather probably needs to sign at least 3 defensemen and up to 5 forwards...he can't do it with /b] Drury on the roster and go after Richards. He can think Richards and Krieder in...Drury and Dubinsky out.

Case for having Drury:

Drury can still bring that veteran work ethic (which means you don't have to go looking for it)..he can take draws...and play the kill, make the safe play, and block slapshots with his tongue and eyeballs, just don't expect him to score.

Fans will take to him here. He knows the area and might be willing to waive his NT-NM if someone like a Dubinsky is making the journey.

(okay lots of wishful thinking with Dubinsky....but this type of deal is very possible.)

Sather probably needs to sign at least 3 defensemen and up to 5 forwards...he can't do it with /b] Drury on the roster and go after Richards. He can think Richards and Krieder in...Drury and Dubinsky out.

Case for having Drury:

Drury can still bring that veteran work ethic (which means you don't have to go looking for it)..he can take draws...and play the kill, make the safe play, and block slapshots with his tongue and eyeballs, just don't expect him to score.

Fans will take to him here. He knows the area and might be willing to waive his NT-NM if someone like a Dubinsky is making the journey.

(okay lots of wishful thinking with Dubinsky....but this type of deal is very possible.)

I like the thinking here but it doesn't get the Sabres a no. 1 center. It moves them further away from that (because so much money will be sunk into The Intangible).

I like the thinking here but it doesn't get the Sabres a no. 1 center. It moves them further away from that (because so much money will be sunk into The Intangible).

True, but at this point I'm happy with 2½ second line centers.

The last true #1 C we had anyway was Pat LaFontaine, so I can't hardly remember what that feels like anyway :thumbsup:

Case for having Drury:

There is no case. That ship sailed years ago, let it go!

So the NHL announced some massive revenue increases this year (14% up) and also signed a brand new huge TV contract. The second item is important because the new TV deal triggers a clause in the CBA that allows the indepentant accountants that figure out what the "Player's Share (read Salary Cap)" will be to make a one time upward adjustment. The 14% revenue increase puts the cap at ($59.4M*1.14=) $67.7M. Factor in the players share of the new TV Contract (57% of approx $125M divided by 30 teams=) $2.5M so we very well could be looking at a $70M salary cap next year. (I'm trusting someone will confirm my numbers)

Even if it only goes up to say $65M, This changes the discussion in a several ways:

1. Max player salary will increase significantly to about $12M

2. Teams that are up against the cap now, can resign their players without dumping as much salary

3. Uncle Terry can spend even more of his money trying to woo Lord Stanley

ok, Ive seen this on 3 other threads, i saw it on hockey lies and crap around the deadline, heard on wgr around the deadline and The new president hinted at something along these lines: We tried to get Jason "sabres killer" Spezza... first he has a NTC, second I do not know why ottawa would want to ditch him and third we don't have balls that big do we?

Joni Pitkanen, D, Carolina Hurricanes

Erhoff, D. Edmonton

Wisniewski, D, Montreal

They have to get one of these guys (hopefully Erhoff) and then trade for a number one Center - Spezza

Bing bang boom.....

spezza has missed 40 games in the last two years. He hasn't been a top scoring center since 2007, the same year derek roy had 10 less points than him -- just for comparison. Pass

spezza has missed 40 games in the last two years. He hasn't been a top scoring center since 2007, the same year derek roy had 10 less points than him -- just for comparison. Pass

Agreed he is soft as Charmin.

In my opinion even though it isn't likely to work they should throw an offer sheet at Stamkos just for shats n gags.

I still say Paul Stasny is the center most likely to be traded. Colorado is weak on wing, defense, and goaltending, and have two #1 quality centers. We are deep at wing, defense, and have an up-and-coming goaltender. And Stasny was rumored to be available at the deadline. I really think this is doable.

I still say Paul Stasny is the center most likely to be traded. Colorado is weak on wing, defense, and goaltending, and have two #1 quality centers. We are deep at wing, defense, and have an up-and-coming goaltender. And Stasny was rumored to be available at the deadline. I really think this is doable.

Good call weave, i've heard him being shopped. But isnt he really more of a #2? last three season point totals are 36,79 and 57. That being said id like him as a #2.

Good call weave, i've heard him being shopped. But isnt he really more of a #2? last three season point totals are 36,79 and 57. That being said id like him as a #2.

in the year he had 36 he was injured. This past season the whole team sucked and his other 3 seasons are at 78pt, 71, and 79 so idk. Hes got the ability to be amazing but is he? I have not seem much of his play so I cant speak to his abilities but if hes available now would the time as it seems that colorado is building and hes coming off some iffy years.

Joni Pitkanen, D, Carolina Hurricanes

Erhoff, D. Edmonton

Wisniewski, D, Montreal

They have to get one of these guys (hopefully Erhoff) and then trade for a number one Center - Spezza

Bing bang boom.....

I'd rank them Pitkannen - Erhoff - Wisniewski.

Pitkannen really is the best of the bunch all around IMO.

320 pts. in 350 games. If he's not a 1A he's a 1B.

in the year he had 36 he was injured. This past season the whole team sucked and his other 3 seasons are at 78pt, 71, and 79 so idk. Hes got the ability to be amazing but is he? I have not seem much of his play so I cant speak to his abilities but if hes available now would the time as it seems that colorado is building and hes coming off some iffy years.

At the end of this season Stasny's wings were David Koci and David Jones. Noone this side of Crosby is going to collect 80 pts with those two as wingers. And he is still rehab-ing a stress fracture in his leg.

According to the author of the Avalanche Yahoo!Sports site the Av's biggest offseason needs are for a #1 goalie, a good defensive D-man, size on the wing, and penalty killers. I'm thinking we can start our offer with Enroth, Weber, and Stafford and fill in the whatever other details to make it work. That gives them a goalie prospect, the D-man they need, size upfront and a PK'er.

Git 'er done.

Any center that may go on the market is going to have some limitations to his game. He may be not physical enough, not big enough, only a 60-70 point guy, not good defensively, etc...

Bottom line...they MUST bring someone in to replace Connolly(Luke Adam showed me little during his call ups to make me believe that he is not ready for a scoring line center role in the NHL), and it is up to Darcy to decide which limitations they can live with the most.

I know it has been referenced here before and I believe the source quote was from the Buffalo News from a year or two ago, DR has a reputation for "allegedly" agonizing over even the smallest of decisions and this scares the heck out of me.

This off season is either make or break for DR. If he craps the bed in terms of making the wrong moves, he better not be here next summer for another go round. His approval rating during the Pegula era already took a hit with Boyes playoff performance.

Archived