All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

Four years, $14 million would be appropriate.

NFW he signs that contract, his agent will just threaten arbitration where he'll get $6 million. The Sabres are going to have to be near $5 mill a season to get him locked up, like it or not.

...and can we just let go of the Stamkos thing. He ain't going no where.

I think the Sabres could get him for a $4.3 cap hit if they are a little creative. It will be interesting to see if the union wants these guys signing long term deals. If they are confident that they can get a better CBA, they may encourage shorter deals.

That's an interesting thought. I can't imagine a player being to quick to turn down long term guaranteed money though. $4.3 does sound like a reasonable figure they could settle on. What people need to remember here is that any deal longer than a year for Stafford buys into his UFA period. That generally costs a bit extra.

The Islanders have negotiated away the cheap RFA years for there young players ....its not like any of those guys were close to Unrestricted status.

Drew Stafford after 3 years: 0.598 points per game, signs for a 2 year, $1.9 million cap hit

Kyle Okposo after 3 years: 0.604 points per game, signs for a 5 year, $2.8 million cap hit, buying into one year of his would be UFA status

I think both teams wound up with very friendly deals. If we're trying to compare him to where Stafford is today, other than what you mentioned about him being older, we also need to mention that Stafford just came off of a career year while Okposo missed over half of the season due to injury. The Isles had a very strong position in those contract talks thanks to that. If he had played the full year he'd be much closer to at least $3.5 million per year.

Simplified Answer:

All player compensation counts against the cap.

Entry Level and Veteran performance Bonuses may be defered to the following season to a max of 7.5% of the cap.

Signing Bonuses are captured in the average cap hit for a contract.

Complication:

Being the last year of the CBA there is no bonus cushion for the 2011-2012 season.

Implecations:

Entry level players formerly with cap hits below $1M but with Multimillion Dollar bonuses (Like Stamkos) will need to be factored into the cap as there total potential hit, rather than just the base salary.

Veterans can not be signed to incentive based contracts simply to avoid the cap hit. (I'm talking to you Nic Lidstrom)

so.... it's not cool if each player makes a minimum salary and they just happen to "find" millions of dollars on the floor outside pegulas office?

so.... it's not cool if each player makes a minimum salary and they just happen to "find" millions of dollars on the floor outside pegulas office?

A better option would be to create a shell company and have that company offer an endorsement deal to Brad Richards for $15M contingent on playing at least 15 games in HSBC arena next season.

A better option would be to create a shell company and have that company offer an endorsement deal to Brad Richards for $15M contingent on playing at least 15 games in HSBC arena next season.

I think if Brad Richards goes to market the conversation starts at 8 years X 8.5 million. (68 million)

That's for starters. He's 31 or 32.

I think if Brad Richards goes to market the conversation starts at 8 years X 8.5 million. (68 million)

That's for starters. He's 31 or 32.

ok, $15M in endorsements the first year, and $5M a year for 15 years after that. signs an 8 year $40M contract with buffalo and we make out like bandits.

This might be the best string of thinking I've ever seen on this board

OK, I'm sure you are being sarcastic but the league has very strict rules about circumventing the cap. I know there were even concerns when LQ bought everyone generators after the October Storm.

what if say... o idk, Pegula had a safe and the players accidentally found out the combination and they used some of the money from the safe? :oops:

Yes, Kassian will be a beast and score 30 goals right out of the shoot.

Drew has been underachieving his entire career so unless he can get signed for less than the average salary under next year's cap, he must be punted. /sarcasm

For the most part, it takes power forwards a few years to grow into their game. Heading into last season, I doubted that Drew would ever grow into that role as except for when he went after Neil he never showed the mean streak that the top power forwards need. This last season, he actually played mean on occassion and he looked to be in better shape than in past seasons. (IIRC, he claimed he trained differently in the off-season.) He has an incredibly accurate shot and he actually seemed to be heading to the right spots on the ice this year to use it. He's actually looked like he might be getting it.

I'm not looking to break the bank on him, and if he needs to be a part of the package for that mythical #1 center the team desperately needs, I am fine w/ that. But when this team has needed a power forward for even longer than a #1, (Dumont was probably the closest they've come to one that was here longer than 40 days and he wasn't exactly prototypical) and the team might finally actually be at the point where they have 1, I do not understand why everybody wants to run him out of town.

Drew Stafford a power forward? :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I'm sure you are being sarcastic but the league has very strict rules about circumventing the cap. I know there were even concerns when LQ bought everyone generators after the October Storm.

Ok, so we need another billionaire, not affiliated with the team to write the endorsement checks. Ohio State Style.

Any of you posters billionaires by any chance?

you know whats sad? When drew first started playing I loved him and was like damn hes gonna be a 70-80pt player and so great! Now I am hoping the 50pts he got last season shows that he is finally starting to move in that direction and I dont wanna pay him any money for his potential... Give it 7months and I could be praising him... hockey is a fickle thing.

you know whats sad? When drew first started playing I loved him and was like damn hes gonna be a 70-80pt player and so great! Now I am hoping the 50pts he got last season shows that he is finally starting to move in that direction and I dont wanna pay him any money for his potential... Give it 7months and I could be praising him... hockey is a fickle thing.

I know, that's exactly what I thought. I don't get to many games live but I was at this game in 2007, one of the Sabres greatest win over T.O. and he scored the winner. He's my uncle's favourite player to this day because of that. Started out so well....

Anyways, if you want to fast forward, the Stafford goal begins exactly 4 minutes in. Weird hearing Harry as part of the Toronto broadcast team. I'm surprised he didn't say "and Stafford scores from 16 feet out to give the Sabres the lead!!"

Drew Stafford a power forward? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeLuca, you crack me up.

You may not see nor care for the nuance of the various hues, but then again I've never taken you for one to agree w/ Paul Simon that everything looks worse in black and white.

I've got to hand it to you. You are consistant.

So what is fair value for Stafford?

I read he's not worth more than three million and he won't be signed for less than $5 million.

And now he'll get six in arbitration?

What is the going value for a still-young restricted FA player whose breakout season is 30 goals, and 50 points?

Comparables please.

I read he's not worth more than three million and he won't be signed for less than $5 million.

What is the going value for a still-young restricted FA player whose breakout season is 30 goals, and 50 points?

Comparables please.

Posted this a couple days ago:

Moulson signed 3 yrs $9.4M last offseason after scoring 48 pts. Grabner just resigned 5 years $15M. Both have less of a track record than Stafford had previous to this offseason. Also neither had the ability to go to arbitration nor were they passing up UFA years, so I'd say the market value would be somewhere around 3-5 years @ $3.75M-$4.5M per.

Couple others I found that could be similar, all broke only 50 pts once prior to extension: RJ Umberger signed 4 yr $15M in 2008, $3.75 cap hit; Louie Eriksson 6 yrs $25M in 2009, $4.267M cap hit; David Booth 6yrs $25.5M in 2009, $4.25M cap hit; Matthew Lombardi 3 yrs $10.5M, $3.5M cap hit; Travis Zajac 4yrs $15.55M in 2009, $3.888M cap hit

Comparables please.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/18551-drew-stafford/page__view__findpost__p__249940

Archived