All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

Mediocre is a stretch.

But his career average is 2.57 and .915. Last season he was 2.59 and .916. He was about at his average for number of shots faced, wins, minutes played, and shutouts too.

Sounds like a pretty typical season by Ryan to me.

I'm not inclined to add them up, but I would bet Ryan Miller is top 5 in wins since the lockout.

That's the most bankable stat in my book.

I'm not inclined to add them up, but I would bet Ryan Miller is top 5 in wins since the lockout.

Yah someone posted it last week i thought but it was like Luongo, brodeur, kipprusoff and then miller for most wins since the lockout.

I wasn't really commenting on Miller's "value". It was more in response to the idea that this past season was an anomoly for our goaltender.

Mediocre is a stretch.

But his career average is 2.57 and .915. Last season he was 2.59 and .916. He was about at his average for number of shots faced, wins, minutes played, and shutouts too.

Sounds like a pretty typical season by Ryan to me.

Agreed, but since he was on the upswing prior to that, his average was worse than the level he had been playing at. I'm willing to be a case of beer that his sv% and GAA are closer to 2009-2010 than his current average next year.

the islanders keep signing guys for decent but fair money (okposo)... and yet stafford could get an outrageous 5mil... this is why the sabres are bad, they never sign guys for the right price. If you cant get him for 4 or less trade his rights and be done with it. :wallbash:

the islanders keep signing guys for decent but fair money (okposo)... and yet stafford could get an outrageous 5mil... this is why the sabres are bad, they never sign guys for the right price. If you cant get him for 4 or less trade his rights and be done with it. :wallbash:

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

A single inflated contract, while not good, certainly won't be hampeing the organisation much, but the Sabres already have 3 or 4 of those running around, and now a possible 5th?

Crippling, if they want to become "hockey heaven".

how do bonuses factor into the salary cap? I've wondered this for a while...

Simplified Answer:

All player compensation counts against the cap.

Entry Level and Veteran performance Bonuses may be defered to the following season to a max of 7.5% of the cap.

Signing Bonuses are captured in the average cap hit for a contract.

Complication:

Being the last year of the CBA there is no bonus cushion for the 2011-2012 season.

Implecations:

Entry level players formerly with cap hits below $1M but with Multimillion Dollar bonuses (Like Stamkos) will need to be factored into the cap as there total potential hit, rather than just the base salary.

Veterans can not be signed to incentive based contracts simply to avoid the cap hit. (I'm talking to you Nic Lidstrom)

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

A single inflated contract, while not good, certainly won't be hampeing the organisation much, but the Sabres already have 3 or 4 of those running around, and now a possible 5th?

Crippling, if they want to become "hockey heaven".

I just don't see how Stafford can come close to making what Roy makes. If you use Roy as the standard than Stafford's value is at about $2.5 mil a season. Anything more, I say let him walk.

I just don't see how Stafford can come close to making what Roy makes. If you use Roy as the standard than Stafford's value is at about $2.5 mil a season. Anything more, I say let him walk.

Unless...gasp...the Roy Contract is a good deal for the sabres for a player under market value!

If Autumn 2010 Roy plays 80 games next year, this will be true. If Roy goes 25g-40a-65p, then I'd say it's a good benchmark. Ergo...

Derek Roy's contract was signed 4 years ago. It's not Roy's value now, it's Roy's value back then compared to Drew. At which point he had only one 20 goal-60 point season. Seems pretty comparable to me. Also, the cap has gone up $9M since then, and will probably go up another $2M before Drew signs his contract further inflating contracts.

The Islanders have negotiated away the cheap RFA years for there young players ....its not like any of those guys were close to Unrestricted status.

The Islanders have negotiated away the cheap RFA years for there young players ....its not like any of those guys were close to Unrestricted status.

True it just feels like we "must" give drew a raise of unearned porportions because he got 30goals (i still dont care) once and will be a ufa next year so he somehow deserves a doubling + of his salary. Its complete crap, I say trade drew keep Kassian, problem solved.

$2.8M per, not bad for a guy who scored 5 goals last year.

True it just feels like we "must" give drew a raise of unearned porportions because he got 30goals (i still dont care) once and will be a ufa next year so he somehow deserves a doubling + of his salary. Its complete crap, I say trade drew keep Kassian, problem solved.

Yes, Kassian will be a beast and score 30 goals right out of the shoot.

Drew has been underachieving his entire career so unless he can get signed for less than the average salary under next year's cap, he must be punted. /sarcasm

For the most part, it takes power forwards a few years to grow into their game. Heading into last season, I doubted that Drew would ever grow into that role as except for when he went after Neil he never showed the mean streak that the top power forwards need. This last season, he actually played mean on occassion and he looked to be in better shape than in past seasons. (IIRC, he claimed he trained differently in the off-season.) He has an incredibly accurate shot and he actually seemed to be heading to the right spots on the ice this year to use it. He's actually looked like he might be getting it.

I'm not looking to break the bank on him, and if he needs to be a part of the package for that mythical #1 center the team desperately needs, I am fine w/ that. But when this team has needed a power forward for even longer than a #1, (Dumont was probably the closest they've come to one that was here longer than 40 days and he wasn't exactly prototypical) and the team might finally actually be at the point where they have 1, I do not understand why everybody wants to run him out of town.

32 goals in 62 games. I'm not saying they should break the bank....but that's noticeable.

Yes, Kassian will be a beast and score 30 goals right out of the shoot.

Drew has been underachieving his entire career so unless he can get signed for less than the average salary under next year's cap, he must be punted. /sarcasm

For the most part, it takes power forwards a few years to grow into their game. Heading into last season, I doubted that Drew would ever grow into that role as except for when he went after Neil he never showed the mean streak that the top power forwards need. This last season, he actually played mean on occassion and he looked to be in better shape than in past seasons. (IIRC, he claimed he trained differently in the off-season.) He has an incredibly accurate shot and he actually seemed to be heading to the right spots on the ice this year to use it. He's actually looked like he might be getting it.

I'm not looking to break the bank on him, and if he needs to be a part of the package for that mythical #1 center the team desperately needs, I am fine w/ that. But when this team has needed a power forward for even longer than a #1, (Dumont was probably the closest they've come to one that was here longer than 40 days and he wasn't exactly prototypical) and the team might finally actually be at the point where they have 1, I do not understand why everybody wants to run him out of town.

Nice stuff. Right on.

32 goals in 62 games. I'm not saying they should break the bank....but that's noticeable.

But all of Stafford's goal were garbage goals or blow out goals while Bobby Ryan scored all highlight reel goals while having to carry those slouches Getzlaf and Perry.

Staff changed my mind this year. Taro's take is the same as mine.

Four years, $14 million would be appropriate.

Staff/Roy/Ennis is a good second line.

If we can get a Stamkos/Richards/Carter/Richards/Parise to go between Vanek and Pommer, that is a legitimate top six.

Pegs has let me dream again.

Archived