Zack Kassian Assigned to Portland!

korab rules

I haven't personally seen this guy play, but I've heard all about him for quite some time on this board and all the articles provided by SabreSpace. If Kassian is as physical a scrapper as he's been talked about, how is it he only managed 67 penalty minutes in 56 games?

I haven't personally seen this guy play, but I've heard all about him for quite some time on this board and all the articles provided by SabreSpace. If Kassian is as physical a scrapper as he's been talked about, how is it he only managed 67 penalty minutes in 56 games?

Nobody in juniors was willing to fight him?

Nobody in juniors was willing to fight him?

This is part of it. But only a part. He's a man among boys down there and he doesn't need to prove himself and other tough guys know that they aren't going to make a name for themselves at his expense. But he's also made an honest effort to change his game and be on the ice alot more. He was an offensive force for Windsor this year. And he was better than PPG in their playoffs. He's changing. He knows he has to if he's going to make it in the show.

This is part of it. But only a part. He's a man among boys down there and he doesn't need to prove himself and other tough guys know that they aren't going to make a name for themselves at his expense. But he's also made an honest effort to change his game and be on the ice alot more. He was an offensive force for Windsor this year. And he was better than PPG in their playoffs. He's changing. He knows he has to if he's going to make it in the show.

I'm hoping he turns into a Brendan Shanahan type player that has that respect from his peers and is recognized for his ability to kick a$$ as well as his ability to contribute offensively. Is that too much to ask?

I'm hoping he turns into a Brendan Shanahan type player that has that respect from his peers and is recognized for his ability to kick a$$ as well as his ability to contribute offensively. Is that too much to ask?

LOL It might be. :w00t:

I think that's too much to ask, or maybe the wrong thing to hope for anyway. The Sabres are like the choir boy kids in highschool with great manners and good grades, and they're always respectful to one another and would never intend to hurt anybody emotionally or physically. The Flyers are like the bullies that own the halls, pick on the choir boy kids, fight whoever they want when they want and take home all the girls on prom night. To put it simply, I want no part in Kassian becoming "a player that has respect from his peers." I could care less about that right now, lol. Totally okay with being recognized for his ability to kick ass, though... and score goals.

I think that's too much to ask, or maybe the wrong thing to hope for anyway. The Sabres are like the choir boy kids in highschool with great manners and good grades, and they're always respectful to one another and would never intend to hurt anybody emotionally or physically. The Flyers are like the bullies that own the halls, pick on the choir boy kids, fight whoever they want when they want and take home all the girls on prom night. To put it simply, I want no part in Kassian becoming "a player that has respect from his peers." I could care less about that right now, lol. Totally okay with being recognized for his ability to kick ass, though... and score goals.

By respect from his peers I was thinking more along the lines of not having to kick a$$ because everyone ( his peers ) know he'll kick their a$$ if they take liberties. Shanahan was a heck of a fighter but he rarely had to because everyone knew he could and would. Much like Terry O'Reilly. Mmmm,come to think of it Terry O' would be a good player for him to try and emulate. :worthy:

By respect from his peers I was thinking more along the lines of not having to kick a$$ because everyone ( his peers ) know he'll kick their a$$ if they take liberties. Shanahan was a heck of a fighter but he rarely had to because everyone knew he could and would. Much like Terry O'Reilly. Mmmm,come to think of it Terry O' would be a good player for him to try and emulate. :worthy:

Shanahan could throw hands with anyone. When he did it was because a line was crossed.

And he could score 40 goals too.

One of my favorite NHL players all-time.

O'Reilly was like Shanahan? :huh:

O'Reilly fought, and almost always seemed to lose to (especially in the latter part of his career), all takers. I really do not see your comparison.

But at this point in time, I'd be fine w/ Kassian turning out to be another O'Reilly.

O'Reilly was like Shanahan? :huh:

O'Reilly fought, and almost always seemed to lose to (especially in the latter part of his career), all takers. I really do not see your comparison.

But at this point in time, I'd be fine w/ Kassian turning out to be another O'Reilly.

Saw O'Reilly fight alot in his prime and he was one tough son of a biatch. Its entertaining seeing his fights on you-tube. If he seemed to lose most fights to you I wouldn't want to know how it felt to be on the winning end of them. My guess is both combatants went home bruised. I never said O'Reilly was like Shanahan, I made a vague comparison of the players in the respect they got from opponents for their toughness. Big difference. If Kassian turned out like either of these players its a win win for Buffalo and its fans.

Would love to get a radio or online feed if anyone has good connection

If you live in Buffalo and have cable, the game is on Ch. 13 tonight at 7pm (according to TBN). If not, I think the AHL used to stream games on its website (for free); not sure if it still does.

EDIT: And now I find that there is no game tonight. But the News has one listed: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/the-watch-list/article409467.ece

I'm guessing it's a replay of last night's game.

Shanahan could throw hands with anyone. When he did it was because a line was crossed.

And he could score 40 goals too.

One of my favorite NHL players all-time.

Me too. I don't believe ZK is of the same mold. To me, Shanny was more of the all-around player, which included having the physical presence and occasional mean streak when called for. ZK is shifted more on the spectrum with his mean streak at the core of his play (how many guys list Bertuzzi as their favorite player?). He may become a scorer, but probably not to the level of Shanny.

As an aside, what would this team have looked like if we took Shanahan over No. 77?

Me too. I don't believe ZK is of the same mold. To me, Shanny was more of the all-around player, which included having the physical presence and occasional mean streak when called for. ZK is shifted more on the spectrum with his mean streak at the core of his play (how many guys list Bertuzzi as their favorite player?). He may become a scorer, but probably not to the level of Shanny.

As an aside, what would this team have looked like if we took Shanahan over No. 77?

I cry when I think about what could have been if we drafted Shanny or Joe Sakic instead of Turgeon (granted, Sakic wasn't so highly rated on draft day).

I see Kassian as more of a Lucic or maybe the Brad May of 93-94 (18g 45p) when he was still being used as a power forward on a scoring line. He's downright mean and uses it as a cornerstone of his game. The 2 guys in the NHL right now that most closely resemble Kassian at full potential IMO are Looch and Ryan CLowe. Maybe add Scott Hartnell to that list. I can only hope Kass brings 20-25 goals, 50 pts and 120 PIM's to the Sabres. That would be some damned fine company he'd be in.

I cry when I think about what could have been if we drafted Shanny or Joe Sakic instead of Turgeon (granted, Sakic wasn't so highly rated on draft day).

I see Kassian as more of a Lucic or maybe the Brad May of 93-94 (18g 45p) when he was still being used as a power forward on a scoring line. He's downright mean and uses it as a cornerstone of his game. The 2 guys in the NHL right now that most closely resemble Kassian at full potential IMO are Looch and Ryan CLowe. Maybe add Scott Hartnell to that list. I can only hope Kass brings 20-25 goals, 50 pts and 120 PIM's to the Sabres. That would be some damned fine company he'd be in.

Agreed man, 20-25 goals and a big mean body would be a big addition to the Sabres, imagine him and Gerbe on the same line? A lot of hate on skates that would be......... :beer:

OOOOOOOOOOOOh- LAh-Lah....Shanny.

Very few players were as NHL ready as Turgeon was. He came in the league at 18 and probably had 250 pts. by age 21 while forced into the first line center position.

It's hard to say it was a mistake. I'm thinking back...but taking Shanny would have meant Christian Ruutu 1st line center and.......hmmmm....did we even have third center? :lol:

OOOOOOOOOOOOh- LAh-Lah....Shanny.

Very few players were as NHL ready as Turgeon was. He came in the league at 18 and probably had 250 pts. by age 21 while forced into the first line center position.

It's hard to say it was a mistake. I'm thinking back...but taking Shanny would have meant Christian Ruutu 1st line center and.......hmmmm....did we even have third center? :lol:

Very close. 236 points his first three seasons. Agreed that it's hard to say this was a mistake, especially considering the trade.

Archived