Zack Kassian Assigned to Portland!

korab rules

I cry when I think about what could have been if we drafted Shanny or Joe Sakic instead of Turgeon (granted, Sakic wasn't so highly rated on draft day).

I see Kassian as more of a Lucic or maybe the Brad May of 93-94 (18g 45p) when he was still being used as a power forward on a scoring line. He's downright mean and uses it as a cornerstone of his game. The 2 guys in the NHL right now that most closely resemble Kassian at full potential IMO are Looch and Ryan CLowe. Maybe add Scott Hartnell to that list. I can only hope Kass brings 20-25 goals, 50 pts and 120 PIM's to the Sabres. That would be some damned fine company he'd be in.

Turgeon was far and away the top rated prospect coming out that year. The only way the Sabres weren't getting him was if they'd've caught up to Quebec. They basically had early in '87 but then Quebec pulled away late. Had the Nords mid-season slide continued and they'd've ended up w/ #1 overall and would have taken Turgeon. My guess is the Sabres would have taken Wesley w/ the 2nd overall, but oh what could have been w/ Shanny, Sakic, LeClair, or even Fleury (of course they had a ~1/2 dozen chances to grab him, as did everyone else) or some of the D-men that came out that year (but considering they picked Miller over Desjardins or Schneider, no reason to expect they'd have gotten a D-man picked right that year).

The ones I still lament are having 10 & 11 the year Neely went 9th, picking Seiling 14th w/ Bossy going 15th, and having the good sense to swap picks w/ the Jets and then choosing May so the Jets could get Tkachuk, and picking David Cooper when everyone knew he had $MM skills and a 10 cent work ethic.

Turgeon was far and away the top rated prospect coming out that year. The only way the Sabres weren't getting him was if they'd've caught up to Quebec. They basically had early in '87 but then Quebec pulled away late. Had the Nords mid-season slide continued and they'd've ended up w/ #1 overall and would have taken Turgeon. My guess is the Sabres would have taken Wesley w/ the 2nd overall, but oh what could have been w/ Shanny, Sakic, LeClair, or even Fleury (of course they had a ~1/2 dozen chances to grab him, as did everyone else) or some of the D-men that came out that year (but considering they picked Miller over Desjardins or Schneider, no reason to expect they'd have gotten a D-man picked right that year).

The ones I still lament are having 10 & 11 the year Neely went 9th, picking Seiling 14th w/ Bossy going 15th, and having the good sense to swap picks w/ the Jets and then choosing May so the Jets could get Tkachuk, and picking David Cooper when everyone knew he had $MM skills and a 10 cent work ethic.

We picked Artem Kruikov in 2000 when Brooks Orpik was still on the board (and went to the Pens a couple picks later). If Orpik had been on the 2006 team, maybe we win the Cup that year. Kruikov never played in North America.

Shanahan could throw hands with anyone. When he did it was because a line was crossed.

And he could score 40 goals too.

One of my favorite NHL players all-time.

I have a negative view of him from the night the Sabres and Alex Mogilney went to St. Louis(I think?) and Shanahan totally acted like a spoiled little child in attacking Mogilney because he was the leagues goal scoring leader. He had petty jealously written all over him and I was pissed off. But no doubt, he was a great player and usually acted with class

I have a negative view of him from the night the Sabres and Alex Mogilney went to St. Louis(I think?) and Shanahan totally acted like a spoiled little child in attacking Mogilney because he was the leagues goal scoring leader. He had petty jealously written all over him and I was pissed off. But no doubt, he was a great player and usually acted with class

Is that the night Alex blew his cool and slapped a linesman in St. Louis?

I forgot what led up to that?

My best guess is Kassian ends up more like Bertuzzi than any other player I can think of

Todd Betruzzi might have been the best player on the best line in the league around 2000. Him and Naslund were unreal together.

I don't think Kassian is quite that good. But we can hope.

Todd Betruzzi might have been the best player on the best line in the league around 2000. Him and Naslund were unreal together.

I don't think Kassian is quite that good. But we can hope.

Naslund......What the heck happened to that guy? One year, top of the league. Then poof

That was the one. Bossy was the best goalscorer I ever saw after #99.

I also think he broke his leg around the same time.

He broke his leg playing against Buffalo. It was a McKee-Warrener check that did it so it was a couple years before the lockout.

That was the one. Bossy was the best goalscorer I ever saw after #99.

Funny thing, if this board was around then, some posters would have been doing backflips over the pick. The Sabres were loaded wih players perceived to be "soft, skilled players" who couldn't succeed in the playoffs. Seiling was supposed to bring the grit that was believed to be needed in the playoffs. Oh well, be careful what you wish for.

Funny thing, if this board was around then, some posters would have been doing backflips over the pick. The Sabres were loaded wih players perceived to be "soft, skilled players" who couldn't succeed in the playoffs. Seiling was supposed to bring the grit that was believed to be needed in the playoffs. Oh well, be careful what you wish for.

I always liked Seiling. Of course he wasn't Bossy....but independent of his draft status, a reliable hardworking player. Bowman had him on the checking line when he was coming into his prime years, so he was never going to put up 30 goals.

Bowman always had him start games; Seiling would shuffle his feet through both anthems like he was skipping rope.

We would always wonder what the hell he was doing.

I always liked Seiling. Of course he wasn't Bossy....but independent of his draft status, a reliable hardworking player. Bowman had him on the checking line when he was coming into his prime years, so he was never going to put up 30 goals.

Bowman always had him start games; Seiling would shuffle his feet through both anthems like he was skipping rope.

I always liked Seiling as a player (at least until the eye injury). But it's tough to not wonder what might have been w/ Bossy on the right side w/ Martin and Perreault. (Not sure who would have gone to get the puck when it worked its way into the corner but it would have been sick thinking about how many assists #11 could have had.)

I always liked Seiling as a player (at least until the eye injury). But it's tough to not wonder what might have been w/ Bossy on the right side w/ Martin and Perreault. (Not sure who would have gone to get the puck when it worked its way into the corner but it would have been sick thinking about how many assists #11 could have had.)

Seiling was a good player until the injury... One of those childhood memories of him that I'll always remember was a game in Colorado when he "scored" a goal that went through the net (the middle of the net). Not sure how they missed it. He totally blew a nut (with good reason)...!!!

Seiling was a pretty nice 2-way player, but Bossy...dear me. He was fantastic.

XB, great blast from the past on the crazy foot-shuffle during the anthems.

I know it's wrong, but I can't help but laugh at this one.

But anyway, I read through your list of players and I have to ask why you included LeClair. He was a good player, no doubt, but I don't see him in the same caliber as anyone else listed. I don't think that career would have amounted to anything if he hadn't spent those years with Lindros. Then again, if you take LeClair in the second and allow him to skate on a line centered by Turgeon, maybe then we're talking.

And lost in all the Turgeon conversation is that he still wound up as probably the 2nd best point producer out of that entire group. Shanny wound up with more points, but it took him about 250 more games. Ok, he has a couple cups on his resume, but that only happened once he finally became a part of that ridiculously stacked Detroit roster.

I know it's wrong, but I can't help but laugh at this one.

But anyway, I read through your list of players and I have to ask why you included LeClair. He was a good player, no doubt, but I don't see him in the same caliber as anyone else listed. I don't think that career would have amounted to anything if he hadn't spent those years with Lindros. Then again, if you take LeClair in the second and allow him to skate on a line centered by Turgeon, maybe then we're talking.

And lost in all the Turgeon conversation is that he still wound up as probably the 2nd best point producer out of that entire group. Shanny wound up with more points, but it took him about 250 more games. Ok, he has a couple cups on his resume, but that only happened once he finally became a part of that ridiculously stacked Detroit roster.

LeClair definitely wasn't in Shanahan's nor Sakic's class (they are clearly HoFers). LeClair was included because even before he became a member of the Legion of Dolts he was a serious big goal scorer. (See Habs - LA for some examples.) I would really like to have seen him playing w/ Hawerchuk.

And you are right, 2nd round would have been the spot to grab him. Who knows, maybe if they'd've ended up w/ a D-man in round 1, they'd've grabbed him. (Yeah, yeah, I know they never would have taken him; but as long as we're dealing w/ hypotheticals.)

Seiling was a pretty nice 2-way player, but Bossy...dear me. He was fantastic.

XB, great blast from the past on the crazy foot-shuffle during the anthems.

It really is hard to think back, but with the drafts I can't help but think that the draft in the 70's became a bit skewed by WHA speculation.

If I remember correctly, the WHA had its draft before the NHL. And there was always speculation over who was a safer draft bet if the WHA offered big money especially to the big scorers from Juniors.

I don't think it impacted the draft of Bossy and Seiling much though.

It really is hard to think back, but with the drafts I can't help but think that the draft in the 70's became a bit skewed by WHA speculation.

If I remember correctly, the WHA had its draft before the NHL. And there was always speculation over who was a safer draft bet if the WHA offered big money especially to the big scorers from Juniors.

I don't think it impacted the draft of Bossy and Seiling much though.

Interesting page pertaining to the NHL/WHA draft feuds, and the beloved Taro T: WHA Draft Oddities

Archived