Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Ahhh... scotches. Yes without knowing your personal taste preference you might have to try them all. Scotch has four distinct regions that have very different taste profiles, so until you know which *type* you like best, it's tough to give a true recommendation.

And then throw a blend like Dewars in the mix and you get a whole nuther flavor possibility too.

I realize they are scotches I just didn't want to limit myself. I'm looking forward to this ride.

If you don't want to limit yourself, you might get more bang for your buck with the bourbon whiskys which are more widely available since they are from the US.

My go to for a nicer pour at the bar right now is Blanton's, which you can usually notice if they have it from afar since it comes in an epcot type glass globe. Very smooth and high quality. Maker's Mark is much more recognizable name and is much sweeter. Eagle Rare is a good cheaper pour that most bars might have as well which comes from the Buffalo Trace distillery.

And then throw a blend like Dewars in the mix and you get a whole nuther flavor possibility too.

FWIW, most if not all of my knowledge on the subject has come from We've peaking my interest and making me go research for hours on end in the interwebs.

I like Bulleit's bourbon and rye. Dad's Hat is good too, but I think that runs a bit more. All these might be pricey too, I haven't bought them lately and I usually don't worry too much about cost since I only buy a couple bottles a year.

Last I checked Bulleit Rye was only $28 a bottle at the local Premier Spirits. That would definitely give you a different taste as the rye whiskeys are much different than bourbons. Mash is primarily Wheat v. Corn iirc.

Last I checked Bulleit Rye was only $28 a bottle at the local Premier Spirits. That would definitely give you a different taste as the rye whiskeys are much different than bourbons. Mash is primarily Wheat v. Corn iirc.

Most bourbons are corn (at least 51% by law), rye, and a touch of barley.  A few bourbons substitute wheat for the rye.  Rye whiskeys are at least 51% rye, some are as much as 95% rye.

I'll admit it. I sip Seagrams 7 (neat or w/ice) often enough for me to say it's a thing I do. I've never not enjoyed it.

Try Wisers.  Canadian Whiskey so it's along the same lines.  About the same price range.  Bit more flavor to it.

I went back and updated the post after looking up the prices at the PA Liquor web site, you're right the Bulleits are just under $30. Dad's hat is more.

Rye Whiskey is my jam. 

it's the FUNK that does it.

just in general, rye is a terrific grain.

i love rye breads (and i cannot lie). the darker the better - i.e., pumpernickel, russian rye.

rye grains in my beer? yes please. 

and, yes. rye whiskey/whisky for the motherfunkin' WIN. i had sworn off manhattans for a long time (okay, a short time) - i'd just lost my taste for them. until someone got me an ass kicking 100 proof rye. rittenhouse, maybe?

i love rye.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Been going through this thread for a bit. Now I'm off to the liquor store to see if I can find anything that piques my interest. If I can find Angels Envy I may go for that. Might try Larceny. But I'll have to find them first.

Seriously, the shelves 'round here seem to be very standard: Wild Turkey, Makers, Evan Williams, Old Grand Dad. 1/5,750ml and handle. And then there are a thousand flavored moonshines that I don't think I'd ever care to try.

We'll see how this goes. Hopefully I can report on something in the early AM.

Been going through this thread for a bit. Now I'm off to the liquor store to see if I can find anything that piques my interest. If I can find Angels Envy I may go for that. Might try Larceny. But I'll have to find them first.

Seriously, the shelves 'round here seem to be very standard: Wild Turkey, Makers, Evan Williams, Old Grand Dad. 1/5,750ml and handle. And then there are a thousand flavored moonshines that I don't think I'd ever care to try.

We'll see how this goes. Hopefully I can report on something in the early AM.

Larceny is very good for such a low price point. The Mrs. got me a bottle for christmas.

i love rye breads (and i cannot lie). the darker the better - i.e., pumpernickel, russian rye.

and, yes. rye whiskey/whisky for the motherfunkin' WIN. i had sworn off manhattans for a long time (okay, a short time) - i'd just lost my taste for them. until someone got me an ass kicking 100 proof rye. rittenhouse, maybe?

i love rye.

I love using Rye in my grain bill when brewing.  Love Rye Beers.. love rye whiskeys.  Rye bread... you're a good man Charlie Brown.

I snagged a bottle of Larceny. Turns out they have a couple more bourbon that y'all have been talking about. Looks like I'll have 3 more to try. However the scotch wall was terribly bare. They didn't even have any of my favorite Macallan 10 year fine oak.

i love rye.

I knew I liked you.

Huh, seems to me I've become a lightweight. One glass of Larceny and I'm half in the bag. Now I admit, I don't have the sommelier skills that we've has. However, I do have a very sophisticated rating scale. It goes something like this.

Like it.

Don't like it.

Larceny: Like it.

Huh, seems to me I've become a lightweight. One glass of Larceny and I'm half in the bag. Now I admit, I don't have the sommelier skills that we've has. However, I do have a very sophisticated rating scale. It goes something like this.

Like it.

Don't like it.

Larceny: Like it.

Well put.

Whiskey article from esquire.com: 10 Great Underrated Whiskeys

Here's the link: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a36514/10-underrated-whiskeys/

The author goes into detail on why each whiskey listed is underrated, but if you just want to know which whiskeys made the list here they are:

Evan Williams Black Label

Buffalo Trace

Old Grand-Dad 114 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Booker's

Larceny

George Dickel No. 12

High West Campfire

Breuckelen 77 Whiskey (White Wax)

Jameson Gold Reserve

Has anyone tried all 10? Do you disagree with any that made the list?

Dickel #12 is my go-to house whiskey, and so far I haven't found much reason to spend any more on a bottle unless it's a special occasion. THe same price as Jack Daniels and orders of magnitude better.

Evan Williams makes it onto a lot of lists like this one, but I tried it and thought it was awful - that nasty petroleum burn in the back of your throat. It is truly cheap whiskey. I have never had the Old Grandad 114, but I have tried the original and Bonded versions, both of which are often cited as great bargain whiskeys, and I don't find them to be anything special.

As for Wild Turkey, there's no reason to shell out for Rare Breed when the 101 is excellent bourbon and much cheaper. Often I can't find any Dickel around (for some reason it is weakly distributed in the North), so the dirty bird is usually plan B. High West is really nice stuff if you are splurging. Buffalo Trace is also excellent and very reasonably priced.

For my money, of which there is not a lot, the best bargains I have found are Dickel #12, Old Forester (maybe the best value in whiskey), Wild Turkey 101, and Jim Beam Black. If you are going really cheap, I swear that Jim Beam white label is really not a bad bet - just put it on the rocks; it has great flavor if you cut the harshness a little.

For good whiskey deals outside the bourbon vein, I like Canadian Club (unbelievably cheap for how smooth it is) and Bushmills (like a very light scotch, smooth and mild).

I don't drink much scotch, because you really have to spend some bucks to get good quality. But I do like Oban and Glenlivet if your mom is buying.

Evan Williams makes it onto a lot of lists like this one, but I tried it and thought it was awful - that nasty petroleum burn in the back of your throat. It is truly cheap whiskey. 

I don't drink much scotch, because you really have to spend some bucks to get good quality. But I do like Oban and Glenlivet if your mom is buying.

Agreed on the Evan Williams - I have not been able to make that work.

And that's a first for me with that expression - a good 'un.

I knew I liked you.

:thumbsup:

Is Angel's Envy available in Buffalo? I can not seem to find it.....

You could always call and ask a store to order a bottle. Even the PA state-run places will at least listen if you have a request. I haven't tried it before, but I talked to one of the people at the store and as long as it isn't crazy they'll order it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.