Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Here's another thought on this game...and please don't take this as complaining about the refs, but their positioning was terrible tonight...there were at least 5 pucks prevented from leaving the zone or caught up in their feet tonight...no reason guys at that level should be in the way as much as they were.

they did seem to be more in middle of play than I have seen lately

Lindy needs to get Vanek off of the line with Connolly. Boyes wants a center? Give him Timmy on the 4th line.

Connolly is officially never going to score again. 25 playoff games in a row without a goal is ridiculous.

Put Vanek with Gerbe and Gaustad and we might have ONE good line out there.

Pominville continues to barely exist. He's still living off the series-ending goal against Ottawa from 2006.

So disappointing. The Sabres looked like they were going through the motions in the third period and seemed to play with no energy. I'm not sure why, they were only down a goal and had they gotten one, they're back in it.

With Kaleta out and being down 2-1, I wonder where Derek Roy is in his prognosis. Perhaps centering the fourth line with McCormick and Grier?

All I know is that Ennis looks invisible right now. Getting only one goal on the PP was just no enough. It's not just about getting a goal on the PP, but it's about getting it at the right time and key moments of the game. So Stafford scores a PP goal. That's great. But when you have a 4 minute PP with Hartnell in the box, you have to take advantage of it. When you have a 5-on-3, you have to take advantage of it.

It's sad that after 4 years, this team still has no heart and no leadership. They've got the talent to play with a team like Philly. But mental mistakes by the young guys and really there's just not enough leadership on this team to get them through this. Niedermeyer and Grier are not the guys who can be leaders as they just don't have the skill to really get these guys to listen. It's sad, and I'm not sure how it changes by Game 4. Let's hope for the best and tie the series up on Wednesday.

Having no viable centers is a big talent problem.

One thing that this series is starting to show is the need for a TRUE Captain of this team and a number one center. team played a perfect game thursday but not disciplined last 2. Worse 2nd period in long time and seemed to mail it in in the third. Come on guys it snowed in buffalo this AM ya cant be thinking about golf

If this game doesn't show Reiger that we need to cut this dead weight on the team I don't know what will. We found something in Gragnani and Gerbe this year and they should be locked into the 2012 lineup. But there are so many spots they need to replace, the last stretch of the season was fun and all but it gave false hope to a team thats not even close to winning the cup.

I wish he would have stopped it, and it very well could have been stopped. The deflection was tricky, but I think he needs to stop that.

That whole goal was flukey.

Flukey is a great word for Miller's carreer. He had a flukey year last year, that is a statistical outlier. And, even with the best playing of his life he couldn't pull his team to the olympic win.

Having no viable centers is a big talent problem.

I'm sorry, but that's not a good excuse. Is it true? Probably. But, they were good enough to make it to the playoffs without any viable center. I would imagine they could compete, especially considering they won Game 1.

I think they are more sapped in energy just fighting to get into the playoffs that they are mentally satisfied with just getting into the dance that they are hoping they can get lucky enough to win. Games 2 and tonight are good examples of that. Terrible defensive zone play in Game 2, and Montador's turnover again leads to Zherdev's goal. Butler getting his stick lifted by Hartnell leads to Briere's goal. It's a bunch of mental mistakes and poor defensive zone play. That's a lack of mental toughness and leadership in the locker room, not a lack of centers.

For the Sabres to take this series, they need their D to be responsible and goaltending to be great. The D has simply had too many turnovers that have led to goals against, and Miller has been below average the last two games. It's not too late, but Lindy needs to hold players accountable for poor performance. Sit Monty and Sekera the rest of this series. I don't care if that means playing someone from Portland. Have Enroth ready to go and put Miller on a hair-trigger. It's not too late, but to get 3 of 4 will require a shakeup. Time to set the tone for the rest of this series as well as next season.

Archived