Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Here we go Buff'a'lo.

Already have taken away the home ice advantage so no need to press. Great time to relax, roll out and play the perfect road game. I would love to see us frustrate the hell out of their high power offense (and fans) for the first two periods with easy dump outs and more scrambly play then pull it out in the third. Maybe play a little 1-3-1 ourselves which would be something they haven't seen. My guess is Sekera in for Shoane I just hope AS is healed enough to play a rough tumbly game.

I expect Philly to crash the net more today to try and rattle Miller. They will also continue their physical play to take a toll on any Sabre. Let's not forget when we saw that strategy before when it worked for Lavalight in Canes final series. I just hope the Ref's are watching and call the crap to protect our best players. It doesn't hurt to tell the Refs during warm up's to watch for that.

There is a lot more hockey to be played this series is far from over. I expect the hostility to go a bit higher today. Although I would be remiss if I didn't remind the Hockey gods it's Philly's turn :worthy: for a casualty/sacrifice from this game since we provided Shoane last game. Oh waiter I'd like my Briere crunched please.

Let's go Buff'a'lo

I predict a similar defense-first game from the Sabres; mainly waiting for opportunities to score. On the other hand, the Flyers will try to create more scoring chances while compromising their effort to shut down the Sabres top 6.

So as a result, the game will seem more loose than game 1.

I agree that this is essentially a must-win for the Sabres; who will need the momentum going back to HSBC.

Every game in the playoffs is a must win. Momentum changes with every game. Can't be happy with a split after winning game one.

I don't recall where I read or heard this, but isn't game two of a seven-game series widely regarded as the most crucial, and a more reliable predictor of the eventual series winner than game one?

Probably not with this particular matchup, the Sabres have met the Flyers 8 times in post season play, on all 8 meetings the winner of the 1st game of the series continued on to the next round.

Hard to fathom that the song is ten years old already.

Awesome gear up tune for the game, and the way the Sabres collectively give their bodies up and take one for the team, seems fitting.

Love this team :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I would absolutely LOVE it if Buffalo came out and chased Bobrovsky in the first period en route to a 6 or 7-to-1 win.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't love this? What else would you love? A new Mercedes? An encounter with an irrationally-digging-you Bar Rafaeli? Perhaps a duffel bag full of Benjamins?

It was a bit of a referee home job, like the Carolina game. Not only do we battle the opposition, but we have the zebra nipping as us. I saw dives get called against Buffalo and legitimate penalties get let go for Philly. You're right though. If the Sabres are scrambling, it invites the home job calls.

Please. There was no problem with the refs. Philly had the better of the play in the 2nd period and after Kaleta scored in the 3rd, which led to the Sabres taking penalties. If the Sabres want some calls against the Flyers, their top 2 lines need to generate more offense.

Can we just stop with crying about officials? The Sabres got into penalty trouble because they made some dumb plays and took stupid penalties.

I can see why some consider this a bonus game, they took game one and a split is a great result. IMO, being up 2-0 Coming home for two is a must for the Sabres. You have a chance to put the first nail in the Flyers coffin. They can't let this opportunity slip away. The Sabres need to play today with Game 7 type desperation.

Agree 100%.

They were unable to counter the Sabres defensive scheme would be a more accurate statement . To be honest Miller faced far fewer real scoring chances in that game than the press would lead the reader to believe. A goaltender is only as good as the defense in front of him and the Buffalo defense in game one was outstanding because the forwards were playing defense first. It is hard to transition out with speed when you are hanging in your own end to help your d with the Philly forecheck. Half of the d zone clearing passes were dumps out into the neutral zone to release the pressure. Then, when you do break out cleanly you are looking at a 1-3-1.. I think Vanek said it best ."Offensively, we didn't create much. At the same time, we didn't give up much. It's a 1-0 win, and we'll take 16 of those."

Game two will start the same way is my guess. Lindy will mix lines more often in game two. They are keying on the Vanek line,which is obvious I know. The question is how to generate offensive zone pressure without pushing your d forward and letting your d (d and wingers) take a few chances coming out of your own end. Lindy had them so far back in game one they were blocking Millers view of the action in the other end. Then he says we need to generate more offense? It is all a trade off when you have olny one line that can forecheck. The TC line is not a dump and retrieve line. If Philly is playing a 1-3-1 again it is another cautious road type defensive effort from the Sabres. Dump and retrieve. Not the Sabres best offensive scheme. I hope Philly opens it up a bit.

I appreciate your team spirit, but this is just a collage of excuses for the Sabres getting outplayed for much of the game. There's a reason Lindy is saying that the forwards need to do a better job in generating offense -- it's because the top 6 was just as weak in game 1 as they were last year vs. Boston.

Every game in the playoffs is a must win. Momentum changes with every game. Can't be happy with a split after winning game one.

Correct.

Separately: here is an excellent analysis of historical playoff results based on game 1 and game 2 wins. For example:

Road teams that have gone up 1-0 have a much worse record in Game 2 at just 71-126 (.360) and in the series at 106-91 (.538). But if the road team wins the first two games, that series record jumps up to 54-17 (.761).

The Sabres cannot take their foot off the gas tonight. If Roy were in the lineup, it would be a virtual certainty that they would do so. Now? It could go either way.

I'm leaning this way too. But I would absolutely LOVE it if Buffalo came out and chased Bobrovsky in the first period en route to a 6 or 7-to-1 win.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't love this? What else would you love? A new Mercedes? An encounter with an irrationally-digging-you Bar Rafaeli? Perhaps a duffel bag full of Benjamins?

Haha. My thoughts exactly, n.

The Sabres cannot take their foot off the gas tonight. If Roy were in the lineup, it would be a virtual certainty that they would do so. Now? It could go either way.

I agree, but not sure what you mean by the Roy comment?

Can we just stop with crying about officials? The Sabres got into penalty trouble because they made some dumb plays and took stupid penalties.

I can see why some consider this a bonus game, they took game one and a split is a great result. IMO, being up 2-0 Coming home for two is a must for the Sabres. You have a chance to put the first nail in the Flyers coffin. They can't let this opportunity slip away. The Sabres need to play today with Game 7 type desperation.

Agreed on the refs. I thought all the calls were good, except for I think it was Morrissonn's slash. If the Sabres can keep their feet moving in those situations and avoid those lazy penalties we don't get as many called on us. I generally cut the refs a lot of slack. If they're bad though, I will complain. Last game they were fine.

Anyone know who's in on D? What's Hecht's status?

With Morrisonn shaken up a bit after Game 1, I've thinking about our excellent young corps on D. I think it's great that we've got eight D-men who have been getting significant play time -- if one or two go down, the sky's not going to start falling. With Weber getting very significant play time this season, and MAG really getting in the mix (and doing at least a serviceable job, as far as I can tell), I'm not too worried once people start getting banged up. We have seven defensemen with at least 50 games under their belts this season, and MAG just played in his tenth game. And they've been doing pretty well lately.

Just some thoughts.

Anyone know who's in on D? What's Hecht's status?

With Morrisonn shaken up a bit after Game 1, I've thinking about our excellent young corps on D. I think it's great that we've got eight D-men who have been getting significant play time -- if one or two go down, the sky's not going to start falling. With Weber getting very significant play time this season, and MAG really getting in the mix (and doing at least a serviceable job, as far as I can tell), I'm not too worried once people start getting banged up. We have seven defensemen with at least 50 games under their belts this season, and MAG just played in his tenth game. And they've been doing pretty well lately.

Just some thoughts.

MAG is a breakaway goal against waiting to happen. I have not liked his game. I've noticed him getting caught flat footed several times at the blueline as opposing forwards turn him inside out. All I can hope is that he makes rapid improvement at this level and can hold his own enough not to cost us a game.

I will take his assist on that game winner though. :thumbsup:

Damn I gotta pick up some more beer........... :beer:

Haha. Just cracked open my final case of Labatt that I've been saving up.

The 5pm start time could work really well. If/when we win, there'll plenty of day left to celebrate! :beer:

Haha. Just cracked open my final case of Labatt that I've been saving up.

The 5pm start time could work really well. If/when we win, there'll plenty of day left to celebrate! :beer:

I am not sure what I want........I usually drink German beer, but I might try something different today....... :beer:

MAG is a breakaway goal against waiting to happen. I have not liked his game. I've noticed him getting caught flat footed several times at the blueline as opposing forwards turn him inside out. All I can hope is that he makes rapid improvement at this level and can hold his own enough not to cost us a game.

I will take his assist on that game winner though. :thumbsup:

Good point. I guess my point is that we'd need three dman injuries (KNOCK ON WOOD) before we have to start plucking AHL guys with ZERO NHL experience. As far as MAG goes, I think it's tough to expect a whole lot from him, but the fact that he's played ten games with the big boys in the last month is a very good thing.

Agreed on the refs. I thought all the calls were good, except for I think it was Morrissonn's slash. .... I generally cut the refs a lot of slack. If they're bad though, I will complain. Last game they were fine.

I agree with the exception of a few instances of interference overlooked at the end. My bone of contention is not with the refs, rather with the leagues seeming endorsement of clutch and grab. Conspiracy theory? Maybe.

Archived