How about an awesome run?

Marvelo

Reading today's Bucky chat I see Gleason going out on his limb with a saw.

That quote about falling in love with players is ironic considering how the team is playing now. Bucky is basically condemning Regier for having some faith in his team, a team that is proving Darcy right since Pegula Day. The better the Sabres do the smarter Team Pegula looks for maintaining the status quo and not buying into Bucky's (among others) conventional wisdom.

What's even more amazing to me is how much a team can change literally overnight. Was this team always this good, but Quinn and Golisano were sucking the life out of them? It's starting to look that way. And how do Quinn and Tommy Boy feel looking at a Sabre team they built suddenly start giving a crap about winning the second they leave the building?

The Sabres are making Bucky look like a dipshit.

PTR

Seems terribly premature to be making that judgement right now, doesn't it? I mean, the context of Bucky's statement involved winning the Stanley Cup. We aren't even in the post season yet. The accuracy of Bucky's statement can't be measured before the playoffs even start and it'll probably take a couple of seasons to fully evaluate.

Seems terribly premature to be making that judgement right now, doesn't it? I mean, the context of Bucky's statement involved winning the Stanley Cup. We aren't even in the post season yet. The accuracy of Bucky's statement can't be measured before the playoffs even start and it'll probably take a couple of seasons to fully evaluate.

That comment works both ways. Who is to say Bucky is correct in his assessment, other than the lack if a cup. And that is hardly a useful yard stick since most teams don't win one in a given year.

We are seeing the effect just a change in ownership has had on a team everyone here buried. I for one look forward to seeing what this group can do, while others secretly wish for a two-game collapse.

PTR

That comment works both ways. Who is to say Bucky is correct in his assessment, other than the lack if a cup. And that is hardly a useful yard stick since most teams don't win one in a given year.

We are seeing the effect just a change in ownership has had on a team everyone here buried. Ii for one look forward to seeing what this group can do, while others secretly wish for a two-game collapse.

PTR

Again, no one is wishing that,.. not a single person.

I for one look forward to seeing what this group can do, while others secretly wish for a two-game collapse.

PTR

Again, no one is wishing that,.. not a single person.

Uh, I am. :thumbsup: Pittsburgh.. I want them neutralized. Taking out Staal didn't do it. Taking out Crosby didn't do it. Taking out Malkin didn't do it. Taking out Orpik didn't do it. Taking out Cooke didn't do it. Going 2-56 on the PP didn't do it. They must be stopped or there will be no joy in Iceville.

Trying to keep this thread on topic, if they do make a run, Vanek, Stafford, Pominville and Myers need to be their best players. If a couple a salty guys like Weber and Goose can step up and make other teams uncomfortable, which they have been doing a lot if, a run could be had.

I think our goaltending (Miller) is going to have to be great as well. Especially if we play Philly.

2 good posts. Miller definitely needs to be included. Also, given the number of youngsters playing big roles at this point in the season, at least a couple of them are going to have to contribute significantly if a run is to occur.

Also, I think Kaleta and McCormick will be there with the salt.

I definitely agree with this, but I also believe that if Recchi's hit on Kennedy happened in the regular season, it would have been an interference call.

This is an interesting point. I think it would have been a borderline interference call in the regular season -- ie sometimes called, sometimes not. Both guys were pretty close to the puck and both were trying to make a play on the puck. But it's clearly not a penalty at the end of a playoff game.

I agree. This team has proven absolutely nothing til they show up and do it consistently over multiple rounds in the playoffs. That could take a couple of years. If they do it this year thats a huge bonus and I look forward to it. The playoffs are a different animal and you can't really compare the second half of this season to the level of play this team will see in the next few weeks.

We are seeing the effect just a change in ownership has had on a team everyone here buried. Ii for one look forward to seeing what this group can do, while others secretly wish for a two-game collapse.

PTR

I really don't think there are any turncoats lurking on this board. Everyone wants the team to win. The fact that some have a differing opinion to you on how to accomplish the winning doesn't mean they would secretly like this team to lose.

Reading today's Bucky chat I see Gleason going out on his limb with a saw.

That quote about falling in love with players is ironic considering how the team is playing now. Bucky is basically condemning Regier for having some faith in his team, a team that is proving Darcy right since Pegula Day. The better the Sabres do the smarter Team Pegula looks for maintaining the status quo and not buying into Bucky's (among others) conventional wisdom.

What's even more amazing to me is how much a team can change literally overnight. Was this team always this good, but Quinn and Golisano were sucking the life out of them? It's starting to look that way. And how do Quinn and Tommy Boy feel looking at a Sabre team they built suddenly start giving a crap about winning the second they leave the building?

The Sabres are making Bucky look like a dipshit.

PTR

I put it on Golisano, myself. I really think it started when Drury got knocked out. Golisano was upset enough to publish that open letter, and the rest of the NHL basically laughed at him. IMHO, he seemed to go in a shell, after that.

Last time Buffalo got a new owner the Sabres went on a huge cup run and almost won game 7 of the conference finals.

This time around we have a new owner who is a hundred times better, so I expect to see them go far in the playoffs. When I think of Pegula, I never think of the Sabres losing. I don't know if I can explain the feeling. Anyone else know what I mean?

I am right with you Idk if it as much as i don't think of them losing as it is I don't expect them to lose, I don't feel that they are out of any game, and I feel that when they do lose it is a much greater disappointment as I expect them to win every game

Like Pegs said "winning is not a goal, it is a belief"

• 11 months later...

Their choices at the end of January were 1) Tank the season or 2) Go all in... they went all in and if they make the playoffs than good for them but i hope after 2 seasons of this they have learned how to persevere.

How do you figure that dumping Gaustad and trading a prospect for a prospect equals going 'all in?'

They had a 3rd choice - look to the future and take what this season gives them.

How do you figure that dumping Gaustad and trading a prospect for a prospect equals going 'all in?'

They had a 3rd choice - look to the future and take what this season gives them.

where do I say anything about Goose? Or the Hodgson trade?

Going all in has nothing to do with management. It has to do with the team. At the end of January this team had a choice. They could fold or they could live up to expectations. Right now they are working as a team and living up to expectations. They are finally fighting to win. Anyone else notice how they keep having closed door team meetings? I think Pommers may be acting very much like a captain behind closed doors.

For the first time in a long time I am not hearing the usual "we just need to keep trying" ######. Instead we are hearing "We've played well but... we need to work on x,y, and z." Its like they know what they have done but also have maybe learned that hard work is the reason they accomplished what they have. Its this weird split between understanding the progress but refusing to be content. It is almost as if their sole reason for existence is to win a Stanley Cup and perhaps that mindset has finally set in.

where do I say anything about Goose? Or the Hodgson trade?

Going all in has nothing to do with management. It has to do with the team. At the end of January this team had a choice. They could fold or they could live up to expectations. Right now they are working as a team and living up to expectations. They are finally fighting to win. Anyone else notice how they keep having closed door team meetings? I think Pommers may be acting very much like a captain behind closed doors.

For the first time in a long time I am not hearing the usual "we just need to keep trying" ######. Instead we are hearing "We've played well but... we need to work on x,y, and z." Its like they know what they have done but also have maybe learned that hard work is the reason they accomplished what they have. Its this weird split between understanding the progress but refusing to be content. It is almost as if their sole reason for existence is to win a Stanley Cup and perhaps that mindset has finally set in.

You honestly saw the PLAYERS as having a fold or put out moment in JANUARY?

They not only looked to the future, they upgraded their talent now. That prospect-for-prospect trade resulted in an increase in center skill now. With Goose here we had two #4 lines. Hodgson gives us enough center talent to upgrade one of those #4 lines. Foligno's unexpected success resulted in further upgrade in talent and size (Gerbe).

That look to the future resulted in upgrades now. Noone decided to "go for it". The team is simply better up front.

Wow. Why not sit back and enjoy it? This team isn't the same demon and will be even lesser of one next year.

Ghost: "I'll enjoy it once things are different"

Nope. Nope u won't.

Have fun with that.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

They not only looked to the future, they upgraded their talent now. That prospect-for-prospect trade resulted in an increase in center skill now. With Goose here we had two #4 lines. Hodgson gives us enough center talent to upgrade one of those #4 lines. Foligno's unexpected success resulted in further upgrade in talent and size (Gerbe).

It makes you wonder about what it would have been like with Ennis, Hodgson, Roy, and Gaustad (and having traded Boyes for a pick instead.) Hmmm ...

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp

Leino-Roy-Pommer

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

McCormick

Three scoring lines, plus an energy line that can effectively fill a shutdown role? Still room for upgrades (I like Tropp, but Dustin Brown would look even nicer, for example), but would have been interesting to watch down the stretch.

It makes you wonder about what it would have been like with Ennis, Hodgson, Roy, and Gaustad (and having traded Boyes for a pick instead.) Hmmm ...

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp

Leino-Roy-Pommer

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

McCormick

Three scoring lines, plus an energy line that can effectively fill a shutdown role? Still room for upgrades (I like Tropp, but Dustin Brown would look even nicer, for example), but would have been interesting to watch down the stretch.

If you are looking for short term results I agree. Long run, I like moving Goose for a 1st better. I have a feeling that pick is going to be used by another team.

Archived