How about an awesome run?

Marvelo

First we have to get in, but assuming we get one more point to make the playoffs, I'd like the Sabres to show the rest of the league that they got it together and are peaking at the right time this playoffs by dominating with youth, speed, transition game and great goaltending. I think when the league looks to the Sabres, they see 16-17 guys that are straight from the farm. (the Bruins have 5) I think we have the horses to make a run this year, but Ruff has to push the right buttons and go with the youth. For starters play Enroth because he's on a winning streak..

First we have to get in, but assuming we get one more point to make the playoffs, I'd like the Sabres to show the rest of the league that they got it together and are peaking at the right time this playoffs by dominating with youth, speed and balance. I think when the league looks to the Sabres, they see 16-17 guys that are straight from the farm. (the Bruins have 5) I think we have the horses to make a run this year, but Ruff has to push the right buttons and go with the youth. For starters play Enroth because he's on a winning streak...until he starts losing.

I love the optimism and it's not impossible, but relying on youth to carry you through a long playoff run is not likely. I can see Gerbe continuing in the playoffs to play like he's been shot out of a cannon and Myers playing well, but I can also see Ennis and the other 4 young defensemen struggling.

They'll need guys like Miller, Vanek, Pommer, Stafford and TC to deliver.

I love the optimism and it's not impossible, but relying on youth to carry you through a long playoff run is not likely. I can see Gerbe continuing in the playoffs to play like he's been shot out of a cannon and Myers playing well, but I can also see Ennis and the other 4 young defensemen struggling.

I'm a fan of Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer. When he jogs with his dogs in the mountains, sometimes the big dogs have to carry the little dogs up over the mountain. The Sabres big dogs have to step up, you're right. But my point is it's amazing how many guys are in our lineup from our system, as opposed to other teams and it would be great to see that we have success with guys we've had all along, as opposed to other teams with lots of free agents.

If the run they have had over the last 45 games, since Roy was hurt, were extracted out to a full season, they would have 120 points. I might make one modification to that last sentence - "They'll need guys like Miller, Vanek, Pommer, Stafford and TC to continue to deliver."

I think we're in for a decent post-season.

First we have to get in, but assuming we get one more point to make the playoffs, I'd like the Sabres to show the rest of the league that they got it together and are peaking at the right time this playoffs by dominating with youth, speed, transition game and great goaltending. I think when the league looks to the Sabres, they see 16-17 guys that are straight from the farm. (the Bruins have 5) I think we have the horses to make a run this year, but Ruff has to push the right buttons and go with the youth. For starters play Enroth because he's on a winning streak..

You had me until "For starters play Enroth because he's on a winning streak." Aside from that, I agree.

I think there are enough "leaders"/vets on this team to counter the inexperience factor, and last year's playoff series loss will be enough to keep the young guys motivated and focused. Plus, the Pegula factor can't be overstated. They put in the new carpet, but the vets laid down the law that there's no stepping on the logo. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I can't help but think that this year's team has an edge and a little more pride in the blue and gold than they've had in the past couple of seasons.

You had me until "For starters play Enroth because he's on a winning streak." Aside from that, I agree.

I think there are enough "leaders"/vets on this team to counter the inexperience factor, and last year's playoff series loss will be enough to keep the young guys motivated and focused. Plus, the Pegula factor can't be overstated. They put in the new carpet, but the vets laid down the law that there's no stepping on the logo. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I can't help but think that this year's team has an edge and a little more pride in the blue and gold than they've had in the past couple of seasons.

I agree with this. I think they will play hard and will not be physically intimidated by anyone. To win in the playoffs, though, they'll also need grace under pressure -- i.e. not to miss on the one-timer, not to make the wrong pass in clearing the defensive zone in the face of a heavy forecheck, not to take a dumb offensive-zone penalty, etc. No one on this roster has shown that he can deliver this in the playoffs. I think that enough of them can, but it's far from certain.

I think that the fact that Enroth will be on this team whether it be on the bench or between the pipes that brings a lot of confidence to both Miller and the rest of the team...second the fact that we are basically a homegrown team gives a lot of credit towards the FO and scouting for this team... I can only imagine what the scouting department can do with a bigger budget...Bostons scouting department is poor and their FO is worse...I feel that people think that they are smart for making "Big" moves but what have they really done...

Gave up Thorton-Their best forward draft pick in the last 15 years

Gave up Kessel- Their second best forward draft pick in the last 15 years

Traded for Kaberle- Overrated and they gave up a lot

Horton- Probably one of their better moves

Peverly- Also not a bad move but still a borderline 2nd or 3rd line forward at best

Lost Wheeler--solid character and player

Lost Wideman- Solid defenseman

I agree with this. I read where last game the guys were playing a defensive shell and Ruff said not to play scared and one of them yelled out "I'm not scared!" Past Sabres teams would wilt under pressure. I don't want to go as far and say they embrace it yet....but there does seem to be a new attitude.

I agree with this. I read where last game the guys were playing a defensive shell and Ruff said not to play scared and one of them yelled out "I'm not scared!" Past Sabres teams would wilt under pressure. I don't want to go as far and say they embrace it yet....but there does seem to be a new attitude.

Lindy mentioned that in the post-game presser. I'd love to hear who that was but he didn't say.

I feel that people think that they are smart for making "Big" moves but what have they really done...

Gave up Thorton-Their best forward draft pick in the last 15 years

Gave up Kessel- Their second best forward draft pick in the last 15 years

Traded for Kaberle- Overrated and they gave up a lot

Horton- Probably one of their better moves

Peverly- Also not a bad move but still a borderline 2nd or 3rd line forward at best

Lost Wheeler--solid character and player

Lost Wideman- Solid defenseman

still not sold on this guy. $4mil for a guy who has averaged 24 goals in the last four seasons, and barely breaks the 60pt. plateau (last time was three seasons ago). he's like a more defensive, healthier version of TC. if that's what they wanted, kudos to their front office. i'd prefer a little more bang for the buck.

just sayin'.

personally, i think a lot of the talking heads are right, and that buffalo is the one team currently qualified for the playoffs that nobody in the EC wants to play at this point. additionally, i think whoever comes out of the west is going to destroy the EC winner in the finals.

I think the new owner and their initiatives have and will do enough for that to happen.

With what $$ ???

The leaders of this "push" have been overperformance from Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Enroth, and Sekera. The only "vet" to really do better than expectations has been Stafford.

Now....we go into the playoffs with "vet leaders", Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Stafford, Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Montador and Leopold. Has anyone of those guys EVER taken a team on their back and led by example? You can pretty much assume every one of those guys will be back next year with the possibility of Connolly and Montador leaving. But given the new "everyone cuddle under the snuggie" vibe coming from Hockey Heaven Headquarters......I can see both back along with Stafford for a grand total of around $10 million for the 3. The other players mentioned are all under contract and will cost another $33 million. Add Roy and you have now spent $47 million, without one guy deemed worthy of the captaincy. $49 million if Morrisson plays out.

You have $20 million left to spend at best. Assume Grier, Niedermayer, Ellis all walk. Now your young kids who have added the energy need to be accounted for. Gerbe, Sekera, Weber, Butler, Mancari, Gragnani, Ennis, Enroth, Kaleta and Myers. I'm not sure who can be locked down with just a qualifier, who goes to arb, and who may get dangled to the masses. If all those guys come back, it's at least another $10 million, and in 2 years that same group will probably cost $25 million if you want to lock down the ones who make a difference. Sure, they will replace some of the dead weight now signed, but that is the thing. In reality....without any house cleaning....this will be your core in a few years. In July you are left with just enough to maybe go after one of the big guns....or 2-3 guys in the $2-3 million range. That's it.

The 3 year plan is going to be "3 years before we finally get all the bad contracts off the books" plan. Then you have room to really make some moves. They can do a little of that along the way, but by becoming buyers this deadline and having enough success to convince the masses to stand pat.....this is going to be your team for the next few years.

I've seen guys like Taro say this reminds him of the '88 Bills......and that scares the #### out of me. They've played well for a half a season, but it is the SAME MACHINE! The name on the plant changed, but the assembly line is exactally the same....and I can't see it changing much if Pegula was going to bat for these guys even before their run. This little run to me reminds me of seeing an ex-girlfriend after a few years. You see each other and remember the good about each other and you see a spark. But if you are stupid enough to get in the sack with her again.....you deserve all the pain and suffering that is coming to you.

Terry's in town and I'm afraid he's going to be handing out diamond rings after a few drunken hummers.

:lol:

With what $$ ???

The leaders of this "push" have been overperformance from Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Enroth, and Sekera. The only "vet" to really do better than expectations has been Stafford.

Now....we go into the playoffs with "vet leaders", Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Stafford, Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Montador and Leopold. Has anyone of those guys EVER taken a team on their back and led by example? You can pretty much assume every one of those guys will be back next year with the possibility of Connolly and Montador leaving. But given the new "everyone cuddle under the snuggie" vibe coming from Hockey Heaven Headquarters......I can see both back along with Stafford for a grand total of around $10 million for the 3. The other players mentioned are all under contract and will cost another $33 million. Add Roy and you have now spent $47 million, without one guy deemed worthy of the captaincy. $49 million if Morrisson plays out.

You have $20 million left to spend at best. Assume Grier, Niedermayer, Ellis all walk. Now your young kids who have added the energy need to be accounted for. Gerbe, Sekera, Weber, Butler, Mancari, Gragnani, Ennis, Enroth, Kaleta and Myers. I'm not sure who can be locked down with just a qualifier, who goes to arb, and who may get dangled to the masses. If all those guys come back, it's at least another $10 million, and in 2 years that same group will probably cost $25 million if you want to lock down the ones who make a difference. Sure, they will replace some of the dead weight now signed, but that is the thing. In reality....without any house cleaning....this will be your core in a few years. In July you are left with just enough to maybe go after one of the big guns....or 2-3 guys in the $2-3 million range. That's it.

The 3 year plan is going to be "3 years before we finally get all the bad contracts off the books" plan. Then you have room to really make some moves. They can do a little of that along the way, but by becoming buyers this deadline and having enough success to convince the masses to stand pat.....this is going to be your team for the next few years.

I've seen guys like Taro say this reminds him of the '88 Bills......and that scares the #### out of me. They've played well for a half a season, but it is the SAME MACHINE! The name on the plant changed, but the assembly line is exactally the same....and I can't see it changing much if Pegula was going to bat for these guys even before their run. This little run to me reminds me of seeing an ex-girlfriend after a few years. You see each other and remember the good about each other and you see a spark. But if you are stupid enough to get in the sack with her again.....you deserve all the pain and suffering that is coming to you.

Terry's in town and I'm afraid he's going to be handing out diamond rings after a few drunken hummers.

Que Burt Bacharach: What do your get when you fall in love, a guy with a pin to burst your bubble........I'll never fall in love agaaaaaaaaaaaaain.

:lol:

Fall in love....not with the same demon that gave a handy to your next door neighbor in the hottub during the block party.

Wow. Why not sit back and enjoy it? This team isn't the same demon and will be even lesser of one next year.

Ghost: "I'll enjoy it once things are different"

Nope. Nope u won't.

Have fun with that.

Myers playing well????????????????????

Last time Buffalo got a new owner the Sabres went on a huge cup run and almost won game 7 of the conference finals.

This time around we have a new owner who is a hundred times better, so I expect to see them go far in the playoffs. When I think of Pegula, I never think of the Sabres losing. I don't know if I can explain the feeling. Anyone else know what I mean?

Wow. Why not sit back and enjoy it? This team isn't the same demon and will be even lesser of one next year.

Ghost: "I'll enjoy it once things are different"

Nope. Nope u won't.

Have fun with that.

I'm having fun. But I am one to have responsible fun. I am just countering points that have been made here. Taro calling them the '88 Bills....people looking to make big free agent scores....people calling for Lindy Ruff to win coach of the year for coaching the 18th out of 30 teams.....it's euphoric babble.

nfreeman has been the most logical of the optimists. This is still the SAME MACHINE. 70% of your $$ is still tied up in a "core" that has failed to show any signs of leadership or take-over ability. They are not young. The kids are young and have been the catalyst along with Pegula buying the team. Are they talented and fresh enough to keep it going and overcome the traditional pressure-wilters? I don't know....I doubt it, but if they can win a series or seriously push a team to the limit where we don't have the Hockey Heaven Excuse Machine rolled out....ok, maybe the future isn't hopeless.

Have fun. I haven't criticized the players for their effort for some time. Now you see if you really have the horses. It's a long way from winning a race at Fort Erie to winning the Kentucky Derby

I'm having fun. But I am one to have responsible fun. I am just countering points that have been made here. Taro calling them the '88 Bills....people looking to make big free agent scores....people calling for Lindy Ruff to win coach of the year for coaching the 18th out of 30 teams.....it's euphoric babble.

nfreeman has been the most logical of the optimists. This is still the SAME MACHINE. 70% of your $ is still tied up in a "core" that has failed to show any signs of leadership or take-over ability. They are not young. The kids are young and have been the catalyst along with Pegula buying the team. Are they talented and fresh enough to keep it going and overcome the traditional pressure-wilters? I don't know....I doubt it, but if they can win a series or seriously push a team to the limit where we don't have the Hockey Heaven Excuse Machine rolled out....ok, maybe the future isn't hopeless.

Have fun. I haven't criticized the players for their effort for some time. Now you see if you really have the horses. It's a long way from winning a race at Fort Erie to winning the Kentucky Derby

Okay, fair enough.

The bolded part notwithstanding.

nfreeman has been the most logical of the optimists. This is still the SAME MACHINE. 70% of your $ is still tied up in a "core" that has failed to show any signs of leadership or take-over ability. They are not young. The kids are young and have been the catalyst along with Pegula buying the team. Are they talented and fresh enough to keep it going and overcome the traditional pressure-wilters? I don't know....I doubt it, but if they can win a series or seriously push a team to the limit where we don't have the Hockey Heaven Excuse Machine rolled out....ok, maybe the future isn't hopeless.

Money-wise, you are certainly right that it's the same machine (although Boyes was an expensive new toy). But there has been a fair amount of turnover since last year's wilt-under-pressure:

-backup goalie -- probably not relevant in the playoffs, but not impossible either

-defense: Butler, Weber, Sekera, and Gragnani are all either new or playing much bigger roles than last year and the same is true of Leopold if/when he returns. You might observe (rightly) that only Weber will make anyone pay a physical price in the playoffs, but (i) he will do so and (ii) Sekera, Gragnani and Leopold are all dangerous offensive threats.

-forward: Ennis, Stafford, Gerbe, a healthy Vanek and even McCormick and Mancari are all either new or playing much bigger roles than last year. (They also have, and I'm scared to even say it, a healthy TC this year.)

So I don't think the product on the ice is the same machine. Now, would I rather have a couple of guys like Knuble or Recchi or Horton or a 2005 Teppo mixed in with the youngsters? Absolutely. I don't think we can ride the youth wave all the way to the promised land. But Lindy knows what to do, and not all of the youngsters will crumble under pressure.

I also think there will be enough action in the offseason that even the skeptics will be somewhat pleased.

Go Sabres.

Okay, fair enough.

The bolded part notwithstanding.

Lent

No...it's been fun going out and watching games that matter, and not be PO'd at lifeless goobers. I'm glad the ownership change took place. Heck....some of the same people that are rejoicing in all things Pegula are some of the same people that said I was too negative and had no idea what was going on with Golisano/Quinn. I pretty much telegraphed what would happen from January '07 on with the entire organization. I missed the sale of the team by 18 months.

If the Sabres go to the Cup this year, I promise I will go to the arena and give a personal appology to Darcy and Lindy. You can come film it. I will shake their hands and tell them how proud I am that they brought respect back to the city, and how sorry I am for any misguided distractions I may have caused. And I will sponsor a freaking Keg party BBQ downtown before game 3 for any posters that can make it.

I hope I have to do it. I really do.

Archived