Leopold back on ice

inkman

My biggest fear is the injury is worse than they are saying and he is out longer than 2 weeks. Remember when Hetch had surgery on his finger at the end of last season? He was originally suppose to be back for the playoffs, but complications kept him out for the Boston series. IMO losing Hetch was almost as big a blow as the Vanek injury.

On the whole "coaches ambigiously stating injury severness and time off" thing, I found this.... enjoy :)

If this had happend in december i would be scared. Now, eh. Leopold is over the last month: 2g, 1a, -5, 6pm, 2ppp, and 24 shots. The teams has been pretty good over that time but leopold has not. Injuries happen and this team needs to focus on making the playoffs and at least there is some time between now and then for his hand to heal so he could be ready if we survive more than a round. Good Experience for our def anyways to get some extra playing time in. If we can resign most of our young def we will have a seasoned core of guys in no time. Worried, no. Slightly sad, yes.

Have to disagree. Leopold has been very good this year and has more goals than many forwards. This also hurts our depth big time.

I dunno. He finished out the season in Columbus, playing every game and averaging about 17 minutes. Was minus in a lot of games though.

You could look at it this way. If you could go back in time, would you put today's Craig Rivet in the lineup for game 7 of the ECF against the Canes over one of the kids?

I sure would.

That's kind of the scenario already facing the Sabres with another serious injury on defense.

It almost would have been worthwhile if they still had a guy with cup experience playing in Portland like they did with Joe DiPenta last year.

Broken hand in the NHL is usually a 3.5 week injury. So Late in the first playoff series wouldn't be a great surprise.

It completely depends upon which bone is fractured and whether the fracture is displaced, requires hardware, etc.... i.e., there is a bone in the hand, the scaphoid, which is notoriously slow to heal and carries a high rate of non-union - hopefully this bone is not what Leo fractured....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphoid

It completely depends upon which bone is fractured and whether the fracture is displaced, requires hardware, etc.... i.e., there is a bone in the hand, the scaphoid, which is notoriously slow to heal and carries a high rate of non-union - hopefully this bone is not what Leo fractured....

I know Lindy likes to play cloak and dagger when it comes to injuries, but he usually doesn't when it comes to surgery, which I would imagine would be pretty mandatory with this injury considering we're talking about a pro athlete?

Is anyone keeping an eye on Portland? Knowing Buffalo we'll likely have someone else go down before the playoffs (knock on wood this doesn't happen). Who would be our first call up? Grangani (sp?)

Gragnani just got called up. So there ya go...

Well not just. He's on the ice at practice today.

Leo will be missed but as others have said, this will give our young guys some playoff seasoning. I don't think we have enough to win it all so any quality playoff minutes that the sekera/butler/weber/myers group can grab is a bonus.

And I second the notion that weber has been one of our most solid dmen this year. Love the kid.

Leopold is a HUGE loss at this time of year.

He and Montador would be the top 2 in a playoff scenario.

Morrisson is better suited for the playoffs, but is filler. Weber is still young but would benefit by learning in a series, Myers is Myers but I doubt at this point his game will step up in the playoffs....if anything it might slack with the pressure, especially now that Leopold has minutes to gobble up. Butler is just not reliable at this point. Sekera is the one I think is a Darcy/Lindy love-child. I hear Darcy describe his game and I laugh. He has played well offensively the past month with confidence, but I trust him the least in his own end during playoff hockey. He's going to cough up the biscuit like the little fat kid who wears the snowsuit in The Christmas Story.

Big loss if you had any hopes of upsetting.

Gragnani just got called up. So there ya go...

Well not just. He's on the ice at practice today.

So did Mancari go back to Portland or did they burn a callup with him too? They're down to one non-emergency recall left if Mancari's still around.

Smart move, especially given that they already knew Leopold was out. I wasn't sure about it though because when I watched that game the other night, they had Mancari listed as a scratch.

He was a scratch, he didn't play. So you're saying that because Hecht came back, if Mancari played he would turn into a non-emergency callup. Right?

So now Grags is an emergency call up?

That he stayed in the game the other night made me think it wasn't worst case. (but I don't have any expertise)

What is that outside part of the hand that snowboarders break?

He was a scratch, he didn't play. So you're saying that because Hecht came back, if Mancari played he would turn into a non-emergency callup. Right?

So now Grags is an emergency call up?

To me, scratch implies that he's still on the active roster. He had to be returned to Portland the second he became one of 13 healthy forwards, without being exposed to waivers. Either that, or they could keep him by burning up an actual call up.

Gragnani is not an emergency call up. They can only do that with a defensemen if they are down to 5 healthy d-men.

To me, scratch implies that he's still on the active roster. He had to be returned to Portland the second he became one of 13 healthy forwards, without being exposed to waivers. Either that, or they could keep him by burning up an actual call up.

Gragnani is not an emergency call up. They can only do that with a defensemen if they are down to 5 healthy d-men.

WGR is calling Grags an emergency call up. ANd Mancari is "recalled" on an emergency basis today too so he can practice with the team while Grier rests and gets evaluated. Hamilton sez it'll be a day-to-day decision with emergency recall for Mancari.

Archived