Leopold back on ice

inkman

If this had happend in december i would be scared. Now, eh. Leopold is over the last month: 2g, 1a, -5, 6pm, 2ppp, and 24 shots. The teams has been pretty good over that time but leopold has not. Injuries happen and this team needs to focus on making the playoffs and at least there is some time between now and then for his hand to heal so he could be ready if we survive more than a round. Good Experience for our def anyways to get some extra playing time in. If we can resign most of our young def we will have a seasoned core of guys in no time. Worried, no. Slightly sad, yes.

He's got alot of points this year. I like how Butler has been playing for the most part but I don't see Butler replacing all those points.

Leopold really has been great on the transition this year. Hope he's back in time for the 1st round.

They'll miss the offensive production for sure, but you're right Butler has been solid and should be able to hold down the fort. I feel bad for Leopold though. He has been such an important part of the team all year, and to go down in the stretch run is too bad.

I think his talents are under appreciated on this board. He is right up there every night in TOI. He'll be seriously missed.

I completely agree. Butler can't replace his offensive production, especially on the PP. However it should be noted that Leo has the worse +/- on the team at -11 while Butler is +6. They will need his point shot for the playoffs.

My biggest fear is the injury is worse than they are saying and he is out longer than 2 weeks. Remember when Hetch had surgery on his finger at the end of last season? He was originally suppose to be back for the playoffs, but complications kept him out for the Boston series. IMO losing Hetch was almost as big a blow as the Vanek injury.

This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I love the way they are playing, and I'd love it if I turned out to be wrong, but they are not going to win the whole thing with or without Leopold. He's better than I expected and I look forward to having him around next year, but we know what he is. His absence means bigger minutes for Butler, Weber and Sekera down the stretch and hopefully in the playoffs. Who takes his game to another level? Who learns from the experience? Who is exposed? Every minute the young guys play is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

http://www.buffalone...ticle377527.ece

Darcy said Jordan will be out weeks. Anyone think this poses a problem? I think they have the depth to perservere. Butler has played well after a shaky start. I want to attribute it to rust more than any thing else.

What depth?

Darcy waived some of that depth away.

Every Buffalo sports fan knows what happens next...

What depth?

I have to admit I thought of this too ... but really no one in Portland is going to be any worse than Rivet after he hadn't played in 2 months. Rip them for not having depth if you must, but I am not sure Rivet was "depth" anyway.

I have to admit I thought of this too ... but really no one in Portland is going to be any worse than Rivet after he hadn't played in 2 months. Rip them for not having depth if you must, but I am not sure Rivet was "depth" anyway.

Agreed Rivet was no longer able to play up to the level on an NHL defence man.........His shoulder is done.

What depth?

One could argue that organ-eye-zatiolly they have much less depth than in 06 with or without Reevay. I was just referring to having 7 competent NHL defenseman on the roster.

Agreed Rivet was no longer able to play up to the level on an NHL defence man.........His shoulder is done.

I dunno. He finished out the season in Columbus, playing every game and averaging about 17 minutes. Was minus in a lot of games though.

You could look at it this way. If you could go back in time, would you put today's Craig Rivet in the lineup for game 7 of the ECF against the Canes over one of the kids?

I sure would.

That's kind of the scenario already facing the Sabres with another serious injury on defense.

I guess Leopolds injury and whether you care or not comes down to can we make a legitamate run at the cup this year or can we not? If we can that we are soft in the def like in 06 but if we can't than any extra experience our def get in the playoffs is awesome because next year we will be a great deal better. It is already a good thing that they young members of this team have had to face adversity and have shown good signs. Rivet's presence would not really help us and the other thing is younger players are usually more durable. Time will tell and I dont want to make any predictions but I measure us against the gold standard and since I do not think unless miller plays at the olympic level we can be the canucks I am sadly skeptical of our cup chances. So experience is better this go around than having leopold is what I am saying.

I guess Leopolds injury and whether you care or not comes down to can we make a legitamate run at the cup this year or can we not? If we can that we are soft in the def like in 06 but if we can't than any extra experience our def get in the playoffs is awesome because next year we will be a great deal better. It is already a good thing that they young members of this team have had to face adversity and have shown good signs. Rivet's presence would not really help us and the other thing is younger players are usually more durable. Time will tell and I dont want to make any predictions but I measure us against the gold standard and since I do not think unless miller plays at the olympic level we can be the canucks I am sadly skeptical of our cup chances. So experience is better this go around than having leopold is what I am saying.

Broken hand in the NHL is usually a 3.5 week injury. So Late in the first playoff series wouldn't be a great surprise.

Broken hand in the NHL is usually a 3.5 week injury. So Late in the first playoff series wouldn't be a great surprise.

Plus he can still skate, and keep his fitness to a certain level.

No substitute for contact drills and gameshape, though still better than doing nothing at all, as with say a bruised ankle or something.

Archived