RICO Chant tonight

X. Benedict

Awesome idea X. :worthy:

I'll have to call my old man before the game tonight so he knows what the heck everyone's chanting. ;)

Wish I was going to this one just for that 7th minute. Make it loud enough to hear on the Vs telecast. :thumbsup:

"What the hell! Makela doesn't deserve this!!!"

(This is my interpretation of Taro's grumpy but lovable, and hearing-impaired dad.)

This is really cool I hope it comes thru the broadcast.

+1, I will be joining at home and defintely listening for it.

Is anyone between the benchs for tonight's broadcast ? I hope they pan to him for a crowd view that shows everyone standing up ! :thumbsup:

Nice tribute X. You are da man.

Did it work?

I thought I heard a brief "ohhh" series. It was tough, coming during a power play for Carolina. And then there was a whistle and of course the piped in noise kicked in.

Probably more noticeable in the arena.

Stick taps for X.

Made it all the way to Harrington's game blog.

"I hear there's a movement tonight for fans to start a "Rico, Rico" chant when the clock hits 14 minutes of the first period, as in the seventh minute of play. That would be nice."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/03/live-from-the-arena-sabres-vs-canes.html

Just got home from the game.

Yes, there was a low chant, not as hard as my son and I thought it would be.

We were in section 104 and I only saw about a couple of dozen people chant it for 3 or 4 times.

But the thought was there.

What a horribly energy drained team tonight.

I can tell you from what I saw on the ice they were exhuasted, and it started toward the end of the 1st period and looked that way for the remainder of the game.

Tough loss, and man, my son and I can tell you, it's tough to get people to start a chant at HSBC, the fans my son and I were directly around just didn't seem into the game the way we were.

I have to question the actual fan base that goes to the Sabres games. There was a season ticket holder and his wife and 2 kids right behind me and He said he hasn't seen the kind of excitement from the fans that we were looking for since the 06/07 season.

Sad that Rico couldn't be recognized by this. Just sad.

Just got home from the game.

Yes, there was a low chant, not as hard as my son and I thought it would be.

We were in section 104 and I only saw about a couple of dozen people chant it for 3 or 4 times.

But the thought was there.

What a horribly energy drained team tonight.

I can tell you from what I saw on the ice they were exhuasted, and it started toward the end of the 1st period and looked that way for the remainder of the game.

Tough loss, and man, my son and I can tell you, it's tough to get people to start a chant at HSBC, the fans my son and I were directly around just didn't seem into the game the way we were.

I have to question the actual fan base that goes to the Sabres games. There was a season ticket holder and his wife and 2 kids right behind me and He said he hasn't seen the kind of excitement from the fans that we were looking for since the 06/07 season.

Sad that Rico couldn't be recognized by this. Just sad.

Not sad at all. The great majority of fans never heard about it.

X. had a great idea and there was a chant. Pretty impressive over the course of a few hours, if you ask me.

Hey man, I commend your efforts. It was a good idea and I did my best to spread the word. I know what you mean about starting chants -- it's hard to get them going at HSBC when it seems everyone is too embarrassed to just go nuts and yell at the top of their lungs. I'll admit, even I stay pretty quiet unless I'm there in a group of 3 or 4 friends. But whatever, as you said, the thought was there.

Thanks to everyone who gave this a try, and tried to give this idea a nudge.

The folks in my section thought it was a good idea, but in the end I think they

were just being polite, and one guy said we should try after the PK, but by then there

was just no traction. I heard some voices though. Maybe it was just a little too conceptual and late to get the word out.

I tried with WGR and didn't get much traction with them.

Thanks to Sportsbuff and everybody who gave it a go, and as PA says, Mike Harrington too. :thumbsup:

And to you oldtimers...I probably spent more than my share of time focused on that banner tonight. I'm glad it's up there.

And all of you who sympathized with my imagination.

I guess I wanted there to be a little something extra for him. Maybe I wasn't ready to let go. Either way. Thanks to everyone who wanted this to happen.

were just being polite, and one guy said we should try after the PK, but by then there

was just no traction. I heard some voices though. Maybe it was just a little too conceptual and late to get the word out.

Thanks to Sportsbuff and everybody who gave it a go, and as PA says, Mike Harrington too. :thumbsup:

And to you oldtimers...I probably spent more than my share of time focused on that banner tonight. I'm glad it's up there.

I guess I wanted there to be a little something extra for him. Maybe I wasn't ready to let go. Either way. Thanks to everyone who wanted this to happen.

I'm not either.

He was really something.

It was a great idea.

It was a great idea, if we had an entire section of guys from this forum at the game, after a bunch of brown pops, things would have worked out........ :beer:

good man, x. good man.

my son and I can tell you, it's tough to get people to start a chant at HSBC, the fans my son and I were directly around just didn't seem into the game the way we were.
I know what you mean about starting chants -- it's hard to get them going at HSBC when it seems everyone is too embarrassed to just go nuts and yell at the top of their lungs.

QFT. and i don't know what can be done about this. we scored our sixth goal with 12 minutes to go against the senators. there were a group of guys in the 300s who tried to get the "1, 2, 3, 4" chant going several times, with a clear eye toward getting the arena to shout "WE WANT 7!" to no real avail. come to think of it, they started that effort after gerbe's goal, which was our 5th (they actually went with "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... WE WANT 7!").

i tried to get one going from where i sat (in the 100s), but people tend to look at you with a mixture of confusion, amusement, disdain, and admiration.

again, not sure what can be done about this.

EDIT: i'm going to put it in the suggestion box: black should create a "spirit" section in the arena, a la the family section. for a reduced price (?), you can have some assurance that you will be sitting in a section of people who are committed to screaming their lungs out, getting on board with a chant, etc.

good man, x. good man.

QFT. and i don't know what can be done about this. we scored our sixth goal with 12 minutes to go against the senators. there were a group of guys in the 300s who tried to get the "1, 2, 3, 4" chant going several times, with a clear eye toward getting the arena to shout "WE WANT 7!" to no real avail. come to think of it, they started that effort after gerbe's goal, which was our 5th (they actually went with "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... WE WANT 7!").

i tried to get one going from where i sat (in the 100s), but people tend to look at you with a mixture of confusion, amusement, disdain, and admiration.

again, not sure what can be done about this.

EDIT: i'm going to put it in the suggestion box: black should create a "spirit" section in the arena, a la the family section. for a reduced price (?), you can have some assurance that you will be sitting in a section of people who are committed to screaming their lungs out, getting on board with a chant, etc.

I think we've figured out why Tim Vogl thought that people were booing Dougie. The acoustics in that barn play tricks on people. The chant after Gerbe's goal was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, we want SIX. Having been in the 300's and joined in the chant, I am quite certain that people were requesting a 6th goal. (At least the ones behind the Sabres bench and back towards the corner requested 6. Maybe the chant in some other part of the rink was for 7, but not over where I was sitting. ;) )

Archived