RICO Chant tonight

X. Benedict

Maybe the chant in some other part of the rink was for 7, but not over where I was sitting. ;) )

i hear you on the acoustic tricks. but i distinctly heard one faction calling for 7 following gerbe's goal -- it got a knowing laugh out of several people around me.

EDIT: i'm going to put it in the suggestion box: black should create a "spirit" section in the arena, a la the family section. for a reduced price (?), you can have some assurance that you will be sitting in a section of people who are committed to screaming their lungs out, getting on board with a chant, etc.

OK, Smell ... you and I are usually on the same page, but this scares me. I am not saying I have a better suggestion, but they have such a thing here in Nashville, although I don't think they get a discount or anything ... they call it "Cell Block 303" ... and I just hate it. Hate hate hate ... Call me a hockey snob or whatever, but it's freakin Romper Room ... the teacher (that section of passionate fans who go to every game and really are into it) gives the cues and the little kids who don't really understand what is going on (everyone else in the arena) respond because it is what everyone else is doing, not because they really know what is going on. and even then half of them just sit there confused because half of the crap comes off like an inside joke if you have not been to a lot of games. That section ends up being looked at like the band at the college football game that has 37 chants and things but everyone else thinks they are weird because they are actually watching the game. Except the opposite, because in this case the "band" is the only section that knows what is going on.

The team has been here more than 10 years and whenever the other team gets a penalty the PA guys still has to say "And the Predators are ON ... THE ... " and the class responds with "POWER PLAY!!!!" like its a freakin game show. If the Preds get a penalty, the guys quietly says "And the Blackhawks are on the power play" and they all yell "But they still suck!!!" (Most of their chants are about the other team sucking, not about supporting the Preds ... everyone in the opposing starting lineup sucks ... they have planned chants telling the other goalie he sucks for several minutes after they score, nevermind the Preds could give up 2 goals in that ime right after ... it's all about the sucking.)

Point is, I am all for tauting the opposing goalie when he is getting lit up with the sing-song name thing, or the "We Want 7!!!" or whatever, but it has to be organic ... the best "Let's Go Buffalo" chants are the ones that start on their own, during play, without the push from the organ ... I just don't believe you can "create" true atmosphere with anything other than good hockey and the people getting into it on their own ... I really think it was coming back after the two great years after the lockout ... maybe not to where it once was, but it was on the way and then the rug got pulled out, so we have to start again. I wish I was around to help.

That sounds like college hockey to me. No one actually cheers for their own team. They're too busy cheering against the other team (or in some cases, a team that isn't even playing that night). "Sucks" is by far the most overused word in any sports arena/stadium.

OK, Smell ... you and I are usually on the same page, but this scares me.

i think we're still on the same page. your experience with the preds in-game experience offers a good cautionary tale.

but it has to be organic

bingo.

in no way, shape, or form, would i want a spirit section to be orchestrated, arranged, etc.

hmmm. but maybe just the designation of such a section would invite a handful of nimrods (sorry to all you nimrods, but you know who you are) who would seek to introduce orthodoxy and routine to the section's spirit.

i need to give this some more thought.

my motivation was this: when we failed to get a BIG "we want 7" going on the day of martin's death, my thoughts turned to how much better it would have been if the 500 or so people who were trying to get that going were seated in a more concentrated fashion. that's all.

the more i think about acoustics, the more i think that the aud's steep, vertical design (it wasn't unique that way) had something to do with the apparent ease of getting a good loud chant going.

That sounds like college hockey to me.

it sure does.

do fans in the cell block in nashville read newspapers during the other team's introduction? (that may be a college basketball thing now, but i first saw it when bc hosted bu.)

do fans in the cell block in nashville read newspapers during the other team's introduction? (that may be a college basketball thing now, but i first saw it when bc hosted bu.)

I think that has pretty much died off in Hockey East. Cornell definitely does that for their games though. I seem to recall a couple other ECAC teams doing the same.

1. I am not sure a lot of them can read.

B. That might distract them from yelling "SUCKS!" at the top of their lungs after every name.

On the plus side, the new goal song has to be better than the horrible "I Like It, I Love It, I want some more of it" they trot out here .... which of course is faded into Garry Glitter, and they all yell "YOU SUCK" after the HEY! ... so yeah, the home team scoring is nothing more than a chance to yell YOU SUCK at the opponent. And people wonder why I would rather stay home and watch Center Ice,

1. I am not sure a lot of them can read.

B. That might distract them from yelling "SUCKS!" at the top of their lungs after every name.

On the plus side, the new goal song has to be better than the horrible "I Like It, I Love It, I want some more of it" they trot out here .... which of course is faded into Garry Glitter, and they all yell "YOU SUCK" after the HEY! ... so yeah, the home team scoring is nothing more than a chance to yell YOU SUCK at the opponent. And people wonder why I would rather stay home and watch Center Ice,

Yeah, that's definitely a college thing. About half the teams out here use Rock&Roll Part 2 as a goal song like that. If I were you, I'd avoid the college game like the plague. And by the way, I totally agree with you on this one. I'm about to give up my season tickets because the atmosphere is so annoying.

OK, Smell ... you and I are usually on the same page, but this scares me. I am not saying I have a better suggestion, but they have such a thing here in Nashville, although I don't think they get a discount or anything ... they call it "Cell Block 303" ... and I just hate it. Hate hate hate ... Call me a hockey snob or whatever, but it's freakin Romper Room ... the teacher (that section of passionate fans who go to every game and really are into it) gives the cues and the little kids who don't really understand what is going on (everyone else in the arena) respond because it is what everyone else is doing, not because they really know what is going on. and even then half of them just sit there confused because half of the crap comes off like an inside joke if you have not been to a lot of games. That section ends up being looked at like the band at the college football game that has 37 chants and things but everyone else thinks they are weird because they are actually watching the game. Except the opposite, because in this case the "band" is the only section that knows what is going on.

The team has been here more than 10 years and whenever the other team gets a penalty the PA guys still has to say "And the Predators are ON ... THE ... " and the class responds with "POWER PLAY!!!!" like its a freakin game show. If the Preds get a penalty, the guys quietly says "And the Blackhawks are on the power play" and they all yell "But they still suck!!!" (Most of their chants are about the other team sucking, not about supporting the Preds ... everyone in the opposing starting lineup sucks ... they have planned chants telling the other goalie he sucks for several minutes after they score, nevermind the Preds could give up 2 goals in that ime right after ... it's all about the sucking.)

Point is, I am all for tauting the opposing goalie when he is getting lit up with the sing-song name thing, or the "We Want 7!!!" or whatever, but it has to be organic ... the best "Let's Go Buffalo" chants are the ones that start on their own, during play, without the push from the organ ... I just don't believe you can "create" true atmosphere with anything other than good hockey and the people getting into it on their own ... I really think it was coming back after the two great years after the lockout ... maybe not to where it once was, but it was on the way and then the rug got pulled out, so we have to start again. I wish I was around to help.

I saw the Sabres play in Nashville a few years ago. I never heard the word "Suck" used more. It was very sad to witness, and I did not find the atmosphere very enjoyable.

i think we're still on the same page. your experience with the preds in-game experience offers a good cautionary tale.

bingo.

in no way, shape, or form, would i want a spirit section to be orchestrated, arranged, etc.

hmmm. but maybe just the designation of such a section would invite a handful of nimrods (sorry to all you nimrods, but you know who you are) who would seek to introduce orthodoxy and routine to the section's spirit.

i need to give this some more thought.

my motivation was this: when we failed to get a BIG "we want 7" going on the day of martin's death, my thoughts turned to how much better it would have been if the 500 or so people who were trying to get that going were seated in a more concentrated fashion. that's all.

the more i think about acoustics, the more i think that the aud's steep, vertical design (it wasn't unique that way) had something to do with the apparent ease of getting a good loud chant going.

I think you're on the right track of what we all want. The unorchestrated chants that start based on the fans love for the team are always the best, but I think we are all pretty unsure how to get that to start on a regular basis given the dead family friendly atmosphere at the arena.

I'm thinking we take a page out of the Bandits playbook with some player focused chants after goals or a p.a. guy getting everyone into the game early on to sort of shake off that stigma of 'that weird guy starting chants'. Don't know if it will work for the Sabres but why not try something...

Yeah, that's definitely a college thing. About half the teams out here use Rock&Roll Part 2 as a goal song like that. If I were you, I'd avoid the college game like the plague. And by the way, I totally agree with you on this one. I'm about to give up my season tickets because the atmosphere is so annoying.

Don't give up on college hockey, give up on Hockey East.

WCHA4LYFE

I know you aren't talking about me. I go to every game. (those old crumudgeons don't know what entertainment is)

Bandits games with a couple thousand less people are still always louder than Sabres games. I love em.

These old guys bitch about the "Chet and Muffy crowd" that has invaded the Sabres games and turned it into a social hour. Now, they bitch about the organized cheering and frat boy style of teams like Nashville. At least they're doing something. Quit yer bitchin. Take out your hearing aide and join in on the fun.

Bandits games with a couple thousand less people are still always louder than Sabres games. I love em.

These old guys bitch about the "Chet and Muffy crowd" that has invaded the Sabres games and turned it into a social hour. Now, they bitch about the organized cheering and frat boy style of teams like Nashville. At least they're doing something. Quit yer bitchin. Take out your hearing aide and join in on the fun.

I hear ya, the last bandits game I was at there was two younger girls behind me (~12yro) and a little guy (~6yro) and they were louder than any fan from a sabres game lately. The bandits do a great job promoting the crowd to be loud and involved by giving them some basic chants and outlets to make noise without being 'that guy' ruining the family outing for the stickuptherasses attendees.

interesting, and duly noted.

still, a taylor swift show is loud, too. (at an octave different than a bandits game, i admit.) in both cases, though, the crowd's cheering for something i'm not into.

this gave me a good chuckle.

for what it's worth, the style that we were discussing is not a frat boy style (that sort of thing would involve much less orchestration, a lot more drinking, and possibly peeing in stairwells), but more of a collegiate (or college prep) pep squad/band style.

finally, i take great delight in startling the sh!t out of chet and muffy with some loud cheering when i'm at a game sitting in corporate seats.

interesting, and duly noted.

still, a taylor swift show is loud, too. (at an octave different than a bandits game, i admit.) in both cases, though, the crowd's cheering for something i'm not into.

this gave me a good chuckle.

for what it's worth, the style that we were discussing is not a frat boy style (that sort of thing would involve much less orchestration, a lot more drinking, and possibly peeing in stairwells), but more of a collegiate (or college prep) pep squad/band style.

finally, i take great delight in startling the sh!t out of chet and muffy with some loud cheering when i'm at a game sitting in corporate seats.

I don't think the discussion is whether you like NLL or if the bandits games are better than going to the sabres games. I'm just looking for a way to take the crowd noise levels from that event and transfer them to the mausoleum (sp?) that is the sabres home games.

I don't think the discussion is whether you like NLL or if the bandits games are better than going to the sabres games.

fair deuce.

I'm just looking for a way to take the crowd noise levels from that event and transfer them to the mausoleum (sp?) that is the sabres home games.

:thumbsup:

I mean we could just get taylor swift or justin beiber to go to every sabres game. That would certainly get people yelling. It would be all teenie boppers but it would at least be loud.

Make it happen TP :nana:

Hey...there is some truth to this.

I once took daughter #2 to a Jonas Brothers concert. The noise was UNBELIEVABLE. Constant screaming, so much so that I honestly think I received some hearing loss.

Two months later I took daughter #1 to see Metallica. The screaming teeny boppers at the JB concert were louder and more painful than Metallica. Seriously. And Metallica like to play LOUD.

Crazy.

Hey...there is some truth to this.

I once took daughter #2 to a Jonas Brothers concert. The noise was UNBELIEVABLE. Constant screaming, so much so that I honestly think I received some hearing loss.

Two months later I took daughter #1 to see Metallica. The screaming teeny boppers at the JB concert were louder and more painful than Metallica. Seriously. And Metallica like to play LOUD.

Crazy.

Most people just give their children names...

Archived