My trip to NHL Headquarters in Toronto

Eleven

This really doesn't belong in the game discussion thread, so I'm going to be self-indulgent and put it all here. As I posted last fall, I purchased at a charity auction two tickets to the Leafs game, together with passes to the Hall of Fame and--the best part--a tour of the NHL offices in Toronto, including the "war room" where every goal is reviewed. I also got to have a conversation with a very well-placed Sabres employee who will remain anonymous, but whose comments described herein might be interesting to some of you.

1. THE NHL HEADQUARTERS.

By far, this was the coolest part of the trip. We saw the equipment testing room, and learned a bit about the process. I didn't know this before, but every piece of equipment worn by every player gets tested when purchased (and before it is worn) to ensure compliance with NHL regulations. This is for safety reasons as much as it is for any other reason. I'm not talking about the sticks here; just the stuff they wear. So there were a few boxes of equipment that had been shipped in for testing. I know one Marlies goaltender (they must test the AHL stuff too in case of call-ups) is going to be happy with his new stuff.

We also saw the goal review room, as they were setting it up for the 2pm Pens-Habs game. The room is not as big as you'd think--at least not yet (read on), but wow, is it stacked with TVs and computers. And sponsorship: a sign on the wall indicates that LG sponsors this room, and of course every computer and TV in the room was manufactured by LG. In addition to one wall with two huge flatscreens and one wall with twelve small flatscreens, there are six semi-hexagonal workstations, each outfitted with three flatscreen TVs and a computer. This is where the game monitors sit. When there is a reviewable incident, the incident goes up on the big flatscreens at the front of the room, and "all hands on deck" work out the incident, while also keeping an eye on the games to which they are assigned. This is why it sometimes takes a little longer to review an incident than we would expect. We might see something that's really clear on our replays, but they are building a consensus in the room while also possibly monitoring and evaluating other incidents in different games. When a decision is reached, the "head guy" pushes a button on a panel that has a direct communication link to each arena (there are thirty buttons plus a couple of spares, probably for winter classic type events) and announces the decision into a microphone. They are expanding this area because a lot of NHL corporate sponsors like to stop by during a Leafs game and hang out where they can watch eight games at once (plus all of the activity in the room), so the review room as of next season will occupy an entire floor of this office building, with a segregated area for such spectators.

I was in Campbell's office and sat on the couch that players sit on when going through a disciplinary hearing. Yes, I felt like I had been called into the principal's office. No, Campbell was not there, and I wouldn't have asked him about the Chara incident anyway. I probably was not supposed to do this.

But the coolest part of this tour was the NHL archive room. I saw handwritten game logs from the 1930s, including some games in which Toe Blake ("old time hockey, coach?") played. Computer printouts from 2000, with players like Richter and Fleury (Theo). Every detail of every game is recorded and in a binder somewhere at 40 Bay Street; they are computerizing all of it, but as you might imagine, it's taking a little while. At random, our guide picked out a volume of The Hockey News from some year in the 1950s, and by sheer luck, the volume opened to a feature on the Buffalo Bisons, including box scores from the previous week's games. (Did you know that Jack Adams played for the Bisons in the '40s? He did. Nope, not that Jack Adams. Just a Jack Adams. Won the Calder Cup with the team in '46.)

Some of the photographs on the walls were simply priceless. Owners' meeting in Chicago, circa 1935; looked like a still from Goodfellas. A helmet-less Marty Brodeur looking into the net camera after the puck has passed him by. Some conference in the 1960s with Punch Imlach in attendance. Just cool stuff. The merchandising area was pretty cool, too; it was stocked with stuff from other leagues. The merch people must be asking themselves, "This Packers beer coozy, would it work in Vancouver blue? How about this Braves giant foam fist--should we test that out in Colorado?" etc.

We met several NHL employees, all of whom were incredibly nice and friendly. This really was the best part of the trip, and was a memorable experience for my father and for me, and well, at certain stages in the life cycle, we try to accumulate and hold onto as many of those experiences as we can.

2. SOME INFORMATION THAT I KNOW THAT YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING.

I now know from two independent sources, both employed by the Sabs, that the slug was 100% Quinn.

I know something about personnel decisions over the last few years, too. I don't want to post anything about it right now; I really enjoyed the company of the Sabres employee who took us around and I'm not going to openly post it here. When the topic next rears its ugly head, and you know it will, my opinion (which will not change drastically) will be based upon this info. Don't mean to be a tease, but I don't want to jeopardize someone in the wake of an ownership change and I don't want to not have credibility when I post in a future topic (by not mentioning in this post that I learned something today).

I know that Regier did not hire Ruff.

3. THE HALL OF FAME.

Honestly, a bit disappointing. I've been to Cooperstown (also with my dad, in 1994), and it's much larger and nicer. Granted, this is a hockey hall of fame, and not an NHL hall of fame, but there was a lot of space devoted to non-NHL stuff like women's hockey (which I kind of like but let's face it, we all only see one game every four years) and IIHF (the Mongolia and Ireland sweaters--I am not making this up--are really cool; the Portugal sweater is hideous). Plenty about the 1972 Summit Series, but nothing, and I mean zip, zero, zilch, about the 1980 Olympics. A video exhibit about the 1990 Oilers gave us a chance to cool our heels for 20 minutes, but the audio was really tough to hear.

The actual hall-of-fame players' plaques are in a grid-like formation surrounding the Cup, which is kind of cool, but I like the MLB's Hall (it is an actual hall) better. It seemed more dignified. The other trophies (e.g., Hart, Vezina, Adams, etc.) are in the same room, and of course it was neat to see some Sabres on those. We didn't get in line to touch / have photo taken with the Cup. We decided we'll wait until the Sabres win it (this June, right?).

The hockey HOF is kind of small, but for $15, it's worth a stop. Just be prepared for the fact that you can see it all in a couple of hours, unlike Cooperstown, which will take a couple of days. Also be prepared for the fact that there's only one room in which you can rest and sit for a few minutes, so if you're with someone who's a little older (or a little younger, for that matter), you've got to find that one video theater. Except they call it a "theatre" there.

4. THE AREA AROUND THE ACC.

We take a lot of sh*t in Buffalo for not having bars, restaurants, etc. right next to the Arena. Guess what? Toronto really isn't that different. It's just a bigger city where people, including visitors, expect to walk a couple of blocks. There's a neat area with several restaurants about three blocks away, roughly the same distance as the Cobblestone district (which has four or five spots; admittedly, they are not quite as nice). Everywhere had a thirty-minute wait at 530pm except for a really nice Italian place that had some bar space, so we ate at the bar. Gotta say, the food was good, but I've already forgotten the name. There was ONE place right across the street from the arena, but I didn't like the name: http://e11even.ca/ (No, really, it just wasn't what we were looking for, and we couldn't get a table, anyway.) But like Buffalo, there was a little mini-strip about three blocks away and some more options within six blocks (compare to our Pearl Street and City Grill). And outside of the restaurant that is obviously named after me (I need to hire some solicitors or whatever people like me are called in Canada), a stranger has to ask for directions to all of them. Again, just like home. We're really not doing as much wrong in Buffalo as people think.

5. THE ACC.

First impression: What if you saw the HSBC Arena and arenas of similar vintage (such as the MCI Center or whatever they're calling it these days in DC), and had the benefit of that experience, and built something roughly five years later? It's a little nicer, but not incredibly nicer. They found more places to cram in advertising than I thought possible, but damn, are the sightlines nearly perfect. The seats themselves are roomy and comfortable. The corridors are a bit narrow (not quite as bad as MSG) but wow, are the concession options terrific. I mean, they are eating like kings in Toronto while we're paying $9.50 for a roast beef sandwich--and that's if we want the healthiest option that HSBC has. My second-intermission snack was pita and hummus with carrots and celery on the side (remember, this is after eating pasta for dinner), and it was just about perfect. (I like to eat healthy.) Their sandwiches looked fresh, hell, EVERYTHING except for the pizza looked better than what SportService gives us at home. Yeah, the beer was expensive, but since I wasn't drinking, I really didn't care. (The pita, veggies, and hummus? $6.99. Totally reasonable.) The only complaint was from my father, an ice cream nut, who had to settle for a Haagen Dazs bar rather than the million-flavor selection available at the Perry's stand at the hisbitch.

PA, I know you're going to ask, so I will tell: The arena is louder. For two reasons. First, all that stuff that we hate that goes on during play stoppages--the music, the ads, the contests, the crap--we think that's loud in Buffalo? It's 50% louder in Toronto. (If I remember my acoustics lessons correctly, that means +5dB.) It's annoying enough to try to converse during stoppages in Buffalo; it is much, much worse in Toronto. And I was talking with others in my section beyond just my dad, who (sux but true) is experiencing some slight hearing loss. It even goes on in between periods. If that puck is not in motion, damn, cover your ears. Since I don't like to talk while play is going on (I'll shout, cheer, etc. but not have a conversation), this made conversation near impossible during most of the evening. Second, the crowd is a little bit louder than ours, but not a whole lot louder. The "Go Leaves Go" chants are just a little bit louder than our "Let's Go Buffalo" chants. Part of this, though, is due to something they do in Toronto that we don't do at home: an announcer, a fan, or even a player on video will appear on the screen and say, "Ok, fans, we need you to be REAL loud on the count of three...1, 2, 3..." you can imagine what happens next. At one point, a fan (picked from the crowd), counted "1, 2, 3-and-a-half, 3." Oops.

The Toronto fans are a LOT classier at their home. There were some really nice people around us, and we had the good fortune to sit next to four other Sabres fans (and the bad fortune to sit next to one more, read on). There was much less sh*t-talking on both sides than I see at Leaves games in Buffalo, and--shocker--these fans were sober! I don't know if it's because of the prohibitive beer prices or what, but these folks are definitely not the drunk crew that trots from Canada to hockey (and football) games in Buffalo. Our seats were good--100 level--but still, I sit in the 100 level at HSBC, and the Toronto fans are brutal. Not at all the case here. These people were really nice. Except for the one Buffalo fan. Sat right in front of me. He's a Canadian Sabres fan who definitely needs to learn that three bong hits is more than enough if you're going out in public. Really cool thing, though, was that the more mature Sabres fan sitting next to him (a woman about my age who was appalled that people might think this kid was associated with her; he was not) gave him a lecture in the first period about "representing respectfully," which apparently set him into a pot-paranoia tailspin, because he left really early into the second period. For good. Hey, I'm even a fan of legalizing the stuff (and I haven't smoked it in about forever), but if you can't act properly in public, don't go out in public (whether you're drinking, smoking, both, or neither, IMO).

EDIT: Forgot to say, there were several sections in the 100 level with more than a few empty seats. Yes, I have a pic. I will try to upload it tomorrow because otherwise, PA will not believe me.

Overall, the arena experience was pretty cool, but wow, is that sound system annoying. REALLY annoying. And no, I would not have been more forgiving if the Sabres had won. Dammit. (But that part IS for the GDT.)

Well, that was my day.

Nice read.My wife and i flew from Oregon to Buffalo last year for the sabres/leafs and the bills/steelers game.We had a blast.Its funny when some of the homegrowns would ask me [ did you really just come here for the Bills and Sabres ] and when i said yes they were like oooook.I have been a buffalo fan since i seen jim kelly for the first time and i was a huge hockey fan growing up so i thought the sabres would be a great team to follow.Im a westcoast dude with much love for Buffalo.Man i miss the wings....

I'm with you on keeping secrets from the inside. My inside source had not given up any "holy grail" secrets, but he was in inside source and someone who I have known all my life. Without giving up details, lets just say that the initials of one of my parents' groomsmen at their wedding was LQ. This source was a different person than the one that we all know as Sabres fans, and he's a good guy.

Eleven, I loved reading your story, and one day you can reveal your info. I'd love a PM from you so we can share some secrets, but trust me, the source you know personally is different than the one you probably know as a fan, and if the bad times come for your source in the media or our portrayals here on SS, don't let it bother you!

Cool story bro. :thumbsup:

Based on your commentary here and your position on the front office I think it won't be too hard to guess what you've learned.

My opinion is that the worst fans at any arena are the traveling fans. Something about folks that visit another barn. They always seem the most inclined to misbehave. Not all of them. But the inclination seems to be higher. Dunno why. Maybe its the personality of the folks willing to step into enemy territory.

Eleven. Meh. I was expecting a little more from travelogue. Maybe it was too late. Will you post more later? :)

Good stuff.

Re: Darcy not really hiring Lindy. Get Swados' book. He tells the whole story in great detail. At one point he writes, paraphrasing, "There's the new GM thinking he has real power."

The thing that jumped out at me, skewed by my opinion that the NHL is a garage league, is that they let fans and sponsors roam around while they're working replay incidents. That's extremely bush league on several levels. Would the NFL allow that in their video replay booths?

Great post 11.

I am el fixo.

While your number is correct, A laymen in an arena during a hockey game is probably talking about perception of loudness, which is different from db spl or db vu. For him to say it was 50% louder, I bet if you had a meter in his chair it would be about 10 db louder.

Eleven. Meh. I was expecting a little more from travelogue. Maybe it was too late. Will you post more later? :)

Good stuff.

Re: Darcy not really hiring Lindy. Get Swados' book. He tells the whole story in great detail. At one point he writes, paraphrasing, "There's the new GM thinking he has real power."

The thing that jumped out at me, skewed by my opinion that the NHL is a garage league, is that they let fans and sponsors roam around while they're working replay incidents. That's extremely bush league on several levels. Would the NFL allow that in their video replay booths?

I have Swados's book. Can't really find the story about the Ruff hiring--but I can find the story about the Nolan firing (and it goes pretty much as you say). The index isn't exactly terrific, and there's no way I am re-reading that book; if you know the section you're talking about, please let me know.

I agree with the "bush league" perception. But don't think for a second that the NFL wouldn't do it; the only reason it doesn't is because it doesn't have a review room. All reviews are done on the field in that little voting machine thing. The NFL lets executives with corporate sponsors roam the sidelines during games, though, which is at least as bad. Suffice it to say that if you're pumping 7-8 figures into a league, you're going to get to experience what you want. Please also note that we were out of there well before the Montreal-Pittsburgh game started; I don't think fans get to do this during games. Just the bigwigs.

Nice read.My wife and i flew from Oregon to Buffalo last year for the sabres/leafs and the bills/steelers game.We had a blast.Its funny when some of the homegrowns would ask me [ did you really just come here for the Bills and Sabres ] and when i said yes they were like oooook.I have been a buffalo fan since i seen jim kelly for the first time and i was a huge hockey fan growing up so i thought the sabres would be a great team to follow.Im a westcoast dude with much love for Buffalo.Man i miss the wings....

Very cool. Let's hope that very shortly, your random dedication to teams on the other side of the continent will be rewarded.

I have Swados's book. Can't really find the story about the Ruff hiring--but I can find the story about the Nolan firing (and it goes pretty much as you say). The index isn't exactly terrific, and there's no way I am re-reading that book; if you know the section you're talking about, please let me know.

I agree with the "bush league" perception. But don't think for a second that the NFL wouldn't do it; the only reason it doesn't is because it doesn't have a review room. All reviews are done on the field in that little voting machine thing. The NFL lets executives with corporate sponsors roam the sidelines during games, though, which is at least as bad. Suffice it to say that if you're pumping 7-8 figures into a league, you're going to get to experience what you want. Please also note that we were out of there well before the Montreal-Pittsburgh game started; I don't think fans get to do this during games. Just the bigwigs.

I think the Nolan firing/Ruff hiring section are one and the same. (Or "one in the same." See the usage thread.)

Well, the NFL does have a replay booth. That's where they call down from to initiate a review in the final two minutes and in OT.

My concern would be having the CEO of Molson standing over your shoulder while you make a call re: the Habs. Or someone from Air Canada during a Leafs review. I'm not arguing a call would be directly influenced, but human beings can be subtly influenced. It looks bad. But so does having the war room in Toronto.

I think the Nolan firing/Ruff hiring section are one and the same. (Or "one in the same." See the usage thread.)

Well, the NFL does have a replay booth. That's where they call down from to initiate a review in the final two minutes and in OT.

My concern would be having the CEO of Molson standing over your shoulder while you make a call re: the Habs. Or someone from Air Canada during a Leafs review. I'm not arguing a call would be directly influenced, but human beings can be subtly influenced. It looks bad. But so does having the war room in Toronto.

As for the NFL, I'm pretty sure that's in-stadium, meaning that the bigwigs aren't going to see a bunch of games at once, so there's no attraction. And still, being on the sidelines is worse!

I do understand your second concern. It is being addressed. And if the war room's location in Toronto really were a problem, well, wouldn't Toronto have done a little better the last several years? It's just an imaginary problem.

If Larry Quinn was Gepeto, why did Darcy play Pinochio for so long? Just grabbin a check I guess. I'm sure Darcy had a role under LQ, maybe Pegs will expand his role and we can see if this so called league wide respect Darcy gets is deserved.

As for the NFL, I'm pretty sure that's in-stadium, meaning that the bigwigs aren't going to see a bunch of games at once, so there's no attraction. And still, being on the sidelines is worse!

I do understand your second concern. It is being addressed. And if the war room's location in Toronto really were a problem, well, wouldn't Toronto have done a little better the last several years? It's just an imaginary problem.

First off - thanks for the original post! Great stuff.

On to the war room location - if the league wasn't headquartered in Toronto - they would be headquartered in NYC. So somebody somewhere would always be complaining. It's not like the league is going to put the review room in Regina, Saskatchewan for the sake of impartiality.

First off - thanks for the original post! Great stuff.

On to the war room location - if the league was headquartered in Toronto - they would be headquartered in NYC. So somebody somewhere would always be complaining. It's not like the league is going to put the review room in Regina, Saskatchewan for the sake of impartiality.

We joked a bit about that. My line was that the standings the last several years don't indicate any bias in favor of Toronto.

Archived