Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Buffalo Sabres @ Minnesota Wild, 6:00 PM EST on MSG

Buffalo is coming off of a huge win against Philadelphia yesterday, hoping to carry that momentum into Minnesota to take on the Wild. They say a 2-0 lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey, and boy was it for Philly -- the first period it looked like they were toying with the Sabres, and then all of the sudden momentum shifted hands, starting with a great tic tac toe play by Ennis to Vanek to Stafford. Just two minutes later, Ennis scored while trying to set up Kaleta, who was hauling ass towards the net. Two minutes later Andrej Sekera took it in and was denied once, and then twice, but the third time was a charm as he scooped up the puck behind the net and backhanded it in on the other side. Possibly the best six minutes of Sabres hockey all year, or maybe the worst six minutes for Philly. Vanek's pass to Pominville to set up the game-winner was picture perfect, and the third period was pretty evenly played from then on out. The win puts Buffalo one point behind Carolina and two points behind the Rangers, with games in hand on each. Meanwhile, the Maple Leafs lost to Chicago last night and remain three points behind the Sabres, having played two more games than us.

It's good to see Brad Boyes fitting in well and it appears he's savoring this opportunity for a fresh start. I won't say he's been our best player since the deadline (that honor may very well be reserved for Sekera) but he's up there -- 2G 2A in three games. It's also good to see Stafford get back on the scoresheet, because now is the time we really need him to step up and steal us a game with another hatty. :thumbsup:

Minnesota has lost three of their last five games but most recently defeated the NY Rangers 3-1. If we get two points today, we can thank Minnesota for getting us possession of 8th place! Mikko Koivu is still out with a broken finger, which is a big blow to the Wild, but don't expect an easy game-- Minnesota is in the middle of a battle royal for the last few playoff spots in the Western Conference. They sit in 11th place, one point behind Anahiem and Nashville, two points behind Los Angeles, three points behind Calgary and Dallas, and four points behind Phoenix (2 games in hand on both Calgary and Phoenix).

NOTABLE GAMES TODAY: Philadelphia Flyers @ NY Rangers, 12:30pm EST on NBC, New Jersey @ NY Islanders, 3:00pm EST on MSG+ or MSG+2

BUF Next 5 Games:

Today @ Minnesota

Tuesday @ Pittsburgh

Thursday @ Boston

Friday @ Toronto

Sunday vs Ottawa

CAR Next 5 Games:

Wednesday vs Atlanta

Friday @ Washington

Saturday vs Columbus

Tuesday @ Buffalo

Wednesday vs Toronto

NYR Next 5 Games:

Today vs Philadelphia

Wednesday @ Anaheim

Saturday @ San Jose

Tuesday vs NY Islanders

Friday vs Montreal

TOR Next 5 Games:

Tuesday @ NY Islanders

Thursday vs Philadelphia

Saturday vs Buffalo

Monday vs Tampa Bay

Wednesday @ Carolina

NJD Next 5 Games:

Today @ NY Islanders

Tuesday vs Ottawa

Friday @ Atlanta

Saturday vs NY Islanders

Tuesday vs Atlanta

LET'S GO BUFFALO

I guess we should be happy now that game was 1p yesterday. That allowed them to fly to 'Sota and get in at a reasonable hour. If they played a night game, they would not have arrived until well after midnight.

Doesn't look good on paper. A team that played and traveled yesterday must play today with an AHL goalie against a rested team in a near desperate situation. Any points in this one would be huge.

I am still loving yesterday and they type of play they have shown us recently. No matter who the opponent, I don't see one team in this league where I would say, no way they have a chance. If they can just correct these special teams blunders, it would go a long way. I understand that they will give opponents odd men rushes (5 on 5) due to their fast pace but they have to eliminate that on the power play (no excuses). Getting one point out of this one would be fine with me but I think they will get 2.

TIME FOR THE 7 SPOT!

I'm not a big fan of "wall-o-texts" but have to say, I've enjoyed your GDT's.

Nice work, thanks!!

Agreed. Nice work, Jack; I especially like the next five games comparison.

TIME FOR THE 7 SPOT!

No thank you, at least not if Boston is still at 2. FIlly is a better matchup, and it's all about matchups come April.

PEGULA has changed the whole feel around the sabres.Everyone seems to be working harder for him and i love it.I wanta see the cup in Buffalo and i feel Pegula will do whatever it takes to get it there!Cheers to a sabres W today.

It does seem that since PEGULA has taken over the team has played harder, is it the reason, I don't know, but the team has really showed some great effort recently.

No thank you, at least not if Boston is still at 2. FIlly is a better matchup, and it's all about matchups come April.

OK, we'll stay at 9 and see how that match-up goes.... :unsure:

I also don't like the fact that they have to fly to Minnesota on the second half of a back-to-back, after an east coast game. The schedule makers here did not do us any favors. Nonetheless, Lindy will of course not yield to excuses. Getting even a point here will be a victory of sorts.

The Sabres have won 16 out of 27 (16-7-4) games played and earned 36 of a possible 54 points since the new year, which I believe makes their points earned percentage 66.667%.

See? Day-um. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :rolleyes:

I agree on the GDTs -- thanks Jack.

I must beg to differ on playoff matchup though -- I'd rather play Boston than Philly.

I agree on the GDTs -- thanks Jack.

I must beg to differ on playoff matchup though -- I'd rather play Boston than Philly.

I'd rather see Buffalo play Boston as well, but not because I think it's an easier match, but rather because revenge would be delicious if Buffalo pulled off the upset.

Archived