My Favourite Sabres

DR HOLLIDAY

10) Bill Hajt: I swear he had a lunch bucket beside him on the bench when he played. So reliable and so unsung.

9) Phil Housley: reckless and exciting, when he was on the ice something was always going on.

8) Dave Andreychuck: From my hometown and I met when I was a kid, he had arms like tree trunks. I was happy when he got to hoist the cup in Tampa.

7) Mike Ramsey: The Rammer was always solid and my favourite part of Miracle, lol.

6) Pat Lafontaine: He should have been a Sabre for much longer, but he shone like a super nova for the time we had him. Plus he gave RJ some more ammo.

5) Don Edwards: My favourite Sabre goaltender of all time and I have met him a few time because he comes from my hometown area.

4) Mike Foligno: Thank you Detroit for being dumb enough to trade him to us. So much energy and I am very glad another Foligno will be playing for us shortly.

3) Rick Martin: The sniper as my Dad called him, he was the right hand of the franchise that I fell in love with.

2) Mike Peca: He played on the edge and was fun to watch. Did so many little things right, the last real Sabre Captain.

1) Gilbert Perreault: The main reason I am a Buffalo Sabre fan. Growing up surrounded by Sitler and Lafluer fans I would let everyone know who I thought the better player was. My son now wears the Jerseys that I used to wear.

From my youth:

Ric Seiling

Danny Gare

Gilbert Perreault

Roger Crozier

Jim Schoenfeld

Craig Ramsay

Don Luce

Brian Spencer

Rick Dudley

Larry Mickey

w/ an honorable mention for Jocelyn Guevremont, not because he was particularily stellar but because he had the coolest name in hockey.

80's vintage / some short timers (not necessarily 80's vintage):

Mike Ramsey

Rick Vaive

Dave Snuggerud

Dave McLlwain

Bob Errey

Steve Heinze

Randy Burridge

Bob Sauve (could have gone on 1st list, but I was having a harder time coming up w/ players for this one)

Wilf Paiement

Doug Smith (got and whiffed on more breakaways than Holzinger ever thought of having - fast as lightning but with hands worse than Rayzor's)

More recent vintage:

Dominik Hasek (yeah, let the boo birds rain down)

Pat LaFontaine

Dale Hawerchuk

Donald Audette

Stu Barnes

Daniel Briere

Ryan Miller

Wayne Presley

Mike Peca

Vaclav Varada

Rob Ray

If I answered on another day, the lists would probably change but Seiling, Gare, Gilbert, Dom, & Patty would definitely make any of my lists.

Not sure how this differs from the other thread, but i absolutely love threads like this because i am 26 years old and truly appreciate the stories of the fans who have been around this team from 70's and 80's to still recall their memories and favorite players. I moved to Rochester in early 1991 from Poland, and as a young kid i loved soccer and sports, and soon found my new love, when i watched a Sabres game. I won't lie, first few games i watched i didn't like it, but, after few games, i saw #16 go coast to coast, i was hooked. Here's my favorite Sabres of all time as a fan-

1. Pat LaFontine

2. Danny Briere

3. Dominik Hasek

4. Alexander Moginly

5. Curtis Brown

6. Brad May

7. Chris Drury

8. Stu Barnes

9. Thomas Vanek

10. Rhett Warrener

Dominik Hasek- My idol when I was growing up. I played street hockey goalie and did everything Dom did to dominate the neighborhood.

Pat Lafontaine- The reason why I didn't want to play goalie everyday. I wanted to score. I wanted to play center. And I wanted the C.

Stu Barnes- STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BARNES

Rob Ray- Another idol of mine. Probably the reason why now when I play ice I'm usually the first guy to get scrappy.

Chris Drury- Embodies everything I love about a great athlete: a clutch, born leader, with a love for the game.

Brad May

Matt Barnaby

Donald Audette

Alexander Mogiliny

Doug Bodger

Bob Boughner

Gary Galley

Jay McKee

Andrew Peters

Craig Patrick

Alexei Zhitnik

Steve Shields

Marty Biron

Tyler Myers

Tom Vanek

Cody McCormick

Taking into account personality as well as ability so Hasek does not make my list. Also didn't start watching till the 90s so have to leave off players I never saw.

1) LaFontaine - Great person and the most exciting player I've had a chance to watch.

2) Rob Ray - Really great in the community (got a chance to do an appearance with him at hospital) and added a ton of entertainment and leadership

3) Dave Andreychuk

4) Mike Peca - Once you stood next to him and realized how small he was, it became incredible how he sacrificed himself to hit the way he did. Literally wore himself out hitting in '99 playoffs and was a shell of himself by the finals.

5) Dale Hawerchuk - Smooth.

6) Doug Bodger - Don't know why but just loved the guy. Decent player but enjoyed his attitude.

7) Lindy Ruff - Never got to see him player but he is Sabres hockey at this point.

8) Marty Biron - Handled tough situation really well and performed amazingly in 2005-2006 season.

9) Danny Briere - I don't know why a lot of people seemed not to like him. Seemed to play his ass off every night and scored big goals.

10) Mike Robitaille - Again, never saw him play but I don't know of a more entertaining analyst. Mix a little crazy with a lot of homer and you had me at hello.

man there is waay too many...

Dominik Hasek has got to be damn close to my #1.

Dominik Hasek

Danny Briere

Chris Drury

Max Afinogenov (lol)

Tim Connolly (lol)

Stuuuu Barnes

Miroslav Satan (probably also an lol)

Alexei Zhitnik

Pat LaLaLaLafontaine

Alex Mogilny

Marty Biron

Ryan Miller

Michael Peca

Jay McKee

James Patrick

Douggie Gilmour

Jason Woolley

Rhett Warrener

Rob Ray

Matt Barnaby

Curtis Brown

Dave Andreychuk

Brian Holzinger

Patrick Kaleta

Lindy Ruff (As a coach.. didn't really get to see him play)

Growing up watching the teams in the late 90's and early 2000's, I liked pretty much all the players. I wasn't really old enough to accurately judge talent, so there might be a few guys on there who make you go "WTF" but it is what it is... Hasek was always my main guy. Then Afinogenov, because I was mesmerized by his hands and instantly fell in love. Then Tim Connolly, because he had better hands than Max and Game 1 against Ottawa all but secured his place in my heart forever, even if he's a total ###### bum now. Chris & Danny are also way wayy up there (probably even higher than TC and Max) as they came to the team right as I was coming into my prime as a hockey fan, and obviously one can't say enough about the post-lockout years the two brought us. I just tried to stray away from the mainstream and have a jersey not too many others owned, so I went with Max (mistake -- every teenage girl in Buffalo soon owned one) and then Connolly.

A couple guys I liked but didn't stick around long enough...

Nathan Paetsch -- he might have been just an average or even below average player but in Game 7 vs Carolina, his first NHL game, you could tell he wanted to make an impact and wanted to win that game for them. :cry: :cry: He played about as good as you could ask from a rookie playing in his first game on such a monumental stage. Maybe I was just trying to take away SOME positive from the worst day of my life, but he earned INSTANT respect from me.

Mika Noronen -- the long lost backup goaltender. i remember one save he made in the shootout(i think?) where he was laying flat on his stomach and just kicked his leg up and blocked the shot with his skate. probably just luck but that moment just stuck with me.

I guess overall my top 5 would be:

1. Hasek

2. Briere

3. Drury

4. Peca

5. Tie between Max/TC/Miller

This, combined with the 'least favourite' sabres threads are really telling of this board. There are 10 more replies and 103 more views in the least favourite sabres than favourite sabres threads. Just an observation.

How so?

This thread hasn't really had a discussion going yet; it's been people listing their favs w/out really commenting on the favs of other posters.

The other thread has had a bit more banter to it.

But it's early; neither one's been open more than 1/2 a day yet. Can we at least let them be up a day or 2 before we decide that people here secretly hate the Sabres (or whatever it was your 'observation' was meant to imply)? If that wasn't what you were implying, then 'my bad.' But I'm not sure what else you think these 2 threads could 'really (be) telling' us.

French Connection

Ramsay, Luce & Gare

Hasek

LaFontaine

Mogilny

Shack

Dudley

Spencer

Briere

Foligno

Tucker

Peca

Ray, May, Barnaby & Boughner(Those were at least exciting years)

Eddy Shack--a maniac who ran down the ice instead of skating....loved him

-Brian Spencer--another maniac-whose hockey craziness wasnt an act---sad sad sad.

Lots of really solid choices, but I am going to only mention one who stands out in my mind. Not just because he was a really good player, but because he and his family have been through a lot in recent years.

Curtis Brown

I can't help but feel their pain and fortitude after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUTcBZl_kY

How so?

This thread hasn't really had a discussion going yet; it's been people listing their favs w/out really commenting on the favs of other posters.

The other thread has had a bit more banter to it.

But it's early; neither one's been open more than 1/2 a day yet. Can we at least let them be up a day or 2 before we decide that people here secretly hate the Sabres (or whatever it was your 'observation' was meant to imply)? If that wasn't what you were implying, then 'my bad.' But I'm not sure what else you think these 2 threads could 'really (be) telling' us.

Ok deal. I'm not saying that people secretly hate the Sabres I'm really not. I think that negativity makes noise so to speak. Let's see after two days how many reads (don't cheat by constantly clinking on either one) each thread has.

Archived