Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Sabres 2-6-2 in last 10 home games against Blues. I know -- different teams. But sometimes a certain franchise just feels comfortable going into a certain building. Maybe it gets passed from one group of players to the next by the old timers in an organization.

That's just because the Blues would show up and see all these fans wearing blue and gold and think it was a home game.

I think the guys all liked Marty and wanted to win a cup with Marty. There was really no reason to trade him away at the deadline if we weren't going to get someone notable back. We made cap room for ZUBRUS and the pick we got was either TJ BRENNAN or DREW SCHIESTEL... but you know what they say, hindsight is 20/20. :beer:

It was Brennan, and everyone thought the Sabres needed that tough gritty checking forward that Zubrus is. (And they did need him.) It was the right trade at the time, which means it is the right trade even in hindsight; whether Brennan works out doesn't enter the calculus. (The use of the pick on Brennan wasn't part of the trade.)

It was Brennan, and everyone thought the Sabres needed that tough gritty checking forward that Zubrus is. (And they did need him.) It was the right trade at the time, which means it is the right trade even in hindsight; whether Brennan works out doesn't enter the calculus. (The use of the pick on Brennan wasn't part of the trade.)

At the time it sounded like a good deal, but it wasn't. Zubrus sucks.

I have a book "The History of the Buffalo Sabres." Chock full of photos. Edwards is wearing this crest in the chapter for the 76-77 season. Another goalie, Al Smith, is wearing the crest with the squiggly tail.

There's a large color photo of Don Luce wearing it at home against the Caps. It appears the Caps' goalie is Smith. If it's Gary Smith, he played for the Caps only in the 77-78 season.

Do you have a scanner that you could scan and send me those photos? I'll PM you my email if you do.

d4rk, it could also be a rookie Andreychuk.

But no name on the back -- how is it authentic?

Not every year had names on the back. It sorta varied. Initially I thought it was a Gary Bromley jersey because of that fact, however, because of the crest I no longer believe it to be a Bromley. They didn't start putting names on the back consistently until 78-79 I believe.

Callaway, those M&N jerseys are sweet. Much nicer than any actual team jersey from that time period haha Team jerseys back then were really sloppy, which makes the legend behind the logo so much fun.

I have searched forever for that exact jersey and afters years of secondary market searching, I bought it off a fans back.....The wife does not know how much though :unsure: I was like a proud father driving that thing back to my house.

Congrats, the M and N jerseys are really nice. And yeah, there are some things the wife is just better off not knowing.

Do you have a scanner that you could scan and send me those photos? I'll PM you my email if you do.

No, sorry. Edit: But wouldn't a photo work just as well?

Not every year had names on the back. It sorta varied. Initially I thought it was a Gary Bromley jersey because of that fact, however, because of the crest I no longer believe it to be a Bromley. They didn't start putting names on the back consistently until 78-79 I believe.

I guess the operative word would be "consistently." They are pictured with names on their backs when they beat the Soviets in 1976, and in a handshake line with the Islanders in 1977.

I'll be listening on the WGR550 app for my phone as I drive in from Brooklyn.

Hope the Sabras light up Conklin tonight. I still look at the Sabres trading Biron away and picking up Conklin as the end of that Cup run in 2007.

Biron at the trade deadline?

That'd be a nice pick up, but unfortunately, Lalime will be on the roster come playoff time.

Archived