GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

thesportsbuff

NY Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres, 3:00 PM EST

We all know about the Islanders situation in goal with DiPietro down, Roloson gone, Nabakov refusing to report, some rookie down for the year and another rookie struggling to get his feet wet. I couldn't tell you who's going to be in goal for them tonight (WGR Can: Mikko Koskinen, who has started the last three games, will go again). However, I can tell you that the Islanders will be playing without Trevor Gillies and Matt Martin, who were suspended for their roles in Friday's brawl vs Pittsburgh. One thing to keep in mind is that despite their issues in goal, the Islanders put up a 9-spot on Pittsburgh and have won three of their last five games, so let's not take them lightly like we did in January.

Carolina and Atlanta square off at 5PM EST. The winner of that game will have 62 points on the season and move into (or remain in) 8th place, though Carolina will still have a game in hand over Atlanta. Buffalo, on the other hand, would total 59 points on the year if they can manage to beat the Islanders today. That puts them three points behind, with three and four games in hand on Atlanta and Carolina, respectively. So we can't really gain much ground today, so a win is important just to keep pace.

Some news from WGR: "Steve Montador passed his Neuro-Psych test and practiced on a non contact basis. Ruff said he'll dress an extra forward for warm up, but Pat Kaleta practiced with Cody McCormick and Nathan Gerbe while Paul Byron worked into Tim Connolly's line. Ruff pretty much indicated Kaleta will return after missing six games."

Carolina's Next 5 Games:

@ Atlanta Today

@ NJ on Wednesday

vs Philly on Friday

vs New Jersey on Saturday

vs NY Rangers on Tuesday

Buffalo's Next 5 Games:

vs NY Islanders Today

@ Montreal on Tuesday

vs Toronto on Wednesday

vs St. Louis on Friday

vs Washington on Sunday

Atlanta's Next 5 Games:

vs Carolina Today

@ Phoenix on Thursday

@ Edmonton on Saturday

@ Buffalo on Wednesday

vs Florida on Friday

LET'S GO BUFFALO

We've knocked out that whole winning 3 games in a row thing. Now to start knocking out the "beat the teams you're supposed to beat" thing. I expect the boys to be flying out of the gate with a few days rest. Important win heading into a week with 4 games in 6 days. Handle business! LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Looks like a decent schedule for us. Hopefully Carolina eats their next 4 games. Just as long as the first game doesn't go to OT. I'd be happy to see the sabres get 7 out of the next 10 points. This SHOULD be the time we jump Atlanta and hopefully Carolina too.

Go Sabres.

Time to hit .500 winning percentage. If they're going to be a playoff team, they need to take care of business today. I'm interested in seeing how the Islanders perform after that Pens match.

On a side note, if Buffalo wins and the Rangers lose, Buffalo moves up to 7th in points percentage.

Time to hit .500 winning percentage. If they're going to be a playoff team, they need to take care of business today. I'm interested in seeing how the Islanders perform after that Pens match.

On a side note, if Buffalo wins and the Rangers lose, Buffalo moves up to 7th in points percentage.

I have to ask this. Considering the schedule and the games in hand, where is all the optimism in regards to the division lead? It's not out reach at their current pace? Why focus on 7th and 8th? Win the division you jump to third with home ice in the first round? Possible against a weakened Penguins team or a Tampa team with poor goaltending.

I couldn't believe it when Carolina was down 3-1 last night in the 3rd and managed to score two goals in 17 seconds to earn a point(lost to TBay in OT). This is going to be a very tough game. Gylanders are flying high after the beat down they laid on the Pens the other night. Hopefully they tired them selves out and rightfully aren't afraid of the Sabres. 2-4 Swords.

I have to ask this. Considering the schedule and the games in hand, where is all the optimism in regards to the division lead? It's not out reach at their current pace? Why focus on 7th and 8th? Win the division you jump to third with home ice in the first round? Possible against a weakened Penguins team or a Tampa team with poor goaltending.

Don't you want them to be in the lotto for first pick?

Don't you want them to be in the lotto for first pick?

The first pick overall would be awesome for the franchise, we can trade it to Toronto for Phil Kessel. I am just pointing out that there is an obvious chance at the division lead that is being ignored? Why would that be? If you are going to be optimistic why not go all the way.

The first pick overall would be awesome for the franchise, we can trade it to Toronto for Phil Kessel. I am just pointing out that there is an obvious chance at the division lead that is being ignored? Why would that be? If you are going to be optimistic why not go all the way.

The division lead would be difficult to achieve at this point in the season, one game at Bos and two at Mon left. They have close to double digit point leads on us, not many more games played and are not collapsing like the Thrash or Rags are.

Jack needs to start all GDTs.

With no more football on, it's nice to have a Sunday afternoon game to watch.

Agreed. I like the game preview and notes. It was one of the very few things I liked from the GDT at the now-defunct LetsGoSabres board. (Except, of course, all the ridiculous images and stuff in each and every post. Way too distracting.)

The division lead would be difficult to achieve at this point in the season, one game at Bos and two at Mon left. They have close to double digit point leads on us, not many more games played and are not collapsing like the Thrash or Rags are.

agreed. And for Phil Kessel? They already have one Pville, don't need two

They have 2 in hand on the Bruins a 4 on the Habs. Win the games in hand and suddenly the Sabres are 8pts behind the Bruins and 3 behind the Habs. Boston continues to lose and the Sabres win suddenly it's only 6 pts.

I agree but I guess we'll take one step at a time. Get to 7th-8th and work your way up. This Conference is looking more wide open every day.

They have 2 in hand on the Bruins a 4 on the Habs. Win the games in hand and suddenly the Sabres are 8pts behind the Bruins and 3 behind the Habs. Boston continues to lose and the Sabres win suddenly it's only 6 pts.

I like it! Boston lost 4-2 to Detroit today.

Archived