Sabres to target Malkin?

Two or less

Not to say that Pegula's Sabres might not be interested in landing Malkin, assuming he is on the trading block; just not at that price. Malkin CAN be a dominating player when he wants to be, but too often he hasn't lived up to that (especially in the playoffs). If we could get him at a close-out price, why not? If we have to give up half the team, nope...

At what price? This >>> Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Luke Adam and a 1st round pick. Check his stats out. He is better than a point a game player in the playoffs, has 2 100 point seasons under his belt, fills a center spot desperately needed by the Sabres, and is at the ripe old age of 24.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77329

What exactly are we giving up that is going to damage the franchise so much? :blink:

That being said, Pittsburgh would be nuts to trade him.

I like Adam, but if he's used in a trade to get a high caliber player, then I'm fine with that. Besides, do you think that you could trade all players that you "can live without" to get a player like Malkin? You have to give up stuff you want, because those players have value.

If they're going to seriously make a run at a trade for any high level guy like Malkin or Parise, the discussion is going to have to start with our top end prospects. I'm not quite sure where guys like Kassian and Foligno fall in terms of their standing leaguewide, but right away, we're talking about guys like Adam or Ennis, even Myers. Obviously this team is going to want to stay away from Myers in any discussions like that.

If they're going to seriously make a run at a trade for any high level guy like Malkin or Parise, the discussion is going to have to start with our top end prospects. I'm not quite sure where guys like Kassian and Foligno fall in terms of their standing leaguewide, but right away, we're talking about guys like Adam or Ennis, even Myers. Obviously this team is going to want to stay away from Myers in any discussions like that.

Myers just has to be one of the guys on the no-trade list, doesn't he?

At what price? This >>> Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Luke Adam and a 1st round pick. Check his stats out. He is better than a point a game player in the playoffs, has 2 100 point seasons under his belt, fills a center spot desperately needed by the Sabres, and is at the ripe old age of 24.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77329

What exactly are we giving up that is going to damage the franchise so much? :blink:

That being said, Pittsburgh would be nuts to trade him.

Exactly - I do this trade all day long and twice on Sundays. We lose Adam - I think Adam will be a good player - do I think he will ever be Malkin good? NFW.

Shakira? who knows - he's still a spaz at this point, and we have more D-men in the system than we can shake a stick at. He may end up the Ballard of the 2010's. Do we all lament the loss of Ballard?

Pommers is a good player, but way overpaid - middle tier vets like him go for pennies on the dollar in the free agent market, now that we know he's a perennial 20-25 goal scorer and not a perennial 30-35 goal scorer.

Do it, Darcy! DDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Exactly - I do this trade all day long and twice on Sundays. We lose Adam - I think Adam will be a good player - do I think he will ever be Malkin good? NFW.

Shakira? who knows - he's still a spaz at this point, and we have more D-men in the system than we can shake a stick at. He may end up the Ballard of the 2010's. Do we all lament the loss of Ballard?

Pommers is a good player, but way overpaid - middle tier vets like him go for pennies on the dollar in the free agent market, now that we know he's a perennial 20-25 goal scorer and not a perennial 30-35 goal scorer.

Do it, Darcy! DDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Before we go all nuts on Darcy sometime in the future for not doing this, let's get few more sources on this rumor. Because I can't believe Pittsburgh would make this trade.

I think it's probably Myers and Miller period. Anyone else can go. Who else would any fan consider untouchable?

I think there's a difference between the no-trade list before Pegula can take over and any no-trade list thereafter.

There isn't one Sabre who should be untouchable.

IMHO, a guy like Malkin is exactly what the Sabres need. A big center who scores better than a point per game, has produced in the playoffs, would help our powerplay... Malkin and Roy would be a nice 1-2 center combo.

From a PR perspective, going out and getting one high priced "superstar" player would go a long way toward winning over the fans for Pegula. Regardless of the hockey implications, the move would be a clear signal to the fans that a new regime is in place.

This is idiotic. There is NFW that Pittsburgh is going to trade Malkin.

Careful! Remember when you posted this on the Oilers message board 20+ years ago?

nfreeman on 08 August 1988 - 04:47 PM[/color] ']

This is idiotic. There is NFW that Edmonton is going to trade Gretzky.

:rolleyes:

Before we go all nuts on Darcy sometime in the future for not doing this, let's get few more sources on this rumor. Because I can't believe Pittsburgh would make this trade.

I can't believe people would think Regier could possibly comprehend a trade of this magnitude. This is well beyond his scope. A trade for Malkin would have to be done by a hockey person with a greater understanding of the league and the true value of talent. Regier is just not qualified to make a move like this.

I can't believe people would think Regier could possibly comprehend a trade of this magnitude. This is well beyond his scope. A trade for Malkin would have to be done by a hockey person with a greater understanding of the league and the true value of talent. Regier is just not qualified to make a move like this.

Not that i think we'll get him, i do enjoy the discussion we've had, but to your point about Darcy, i agree with you, but, i also think it's irrelevant, as i believe Ken Sawyer and Craig Patrick, if in fact they are in Pegula's inner circle, would do the original dialogue. Both are great hockey minds with tons of experience of building a team and probably know everyone in Pens front office really well, especially Sawyer and Ray Shero, the Pens GM.

Not that i think we'll get him, i do enjoy the discussion we've had, but to your point about Darcy, i agree with you, but, i also think it's irrelevant, as i believe Ken Sawyer and Craig Patrick, if in fact they are in Pegula's inner circle, would do the original dialogue. Both are great hockey minds with tons of experience of building a team and probably know everyone in Pens front office really well, especially Sawyer and Ray Shero, the Pens GM.

Why not allow yourself to think they can or will. There are posters on this board that think 8th place is some sort of Holy Grail. After all, isn't all the excitement surrounding new ownership about expanding the possibilities in regards to the roster? Players like Malkin don't become available too often if he does at all. Is there any reason the Sabres shouldn't be first in line? Last off-season quality players were available and the Sabres stood on the sidelines and watched their competition get better.

Why not allow yourself to think they can or will. There are posters on this board that think 8th place is some sort of Holy Grail. After all, isn't all the excitement surrounding new ownership about expanding the possibilities in regards to the roster? Players like Malkin don't become available too often if he does at all. Is there any reason the Sabres shouldn't be first in line? Last off-season quality players were available and the Sabres stood on the sidelines and watched their competition get better.

agreed 100%

This is very ridiculous. Very. No sources...complete rhetoric. However, it should be noted that Jason Pominville and Pascal Dupuis are best friends. On the other hand, we also know Lindy's history with Russian born hockey players. Can we wait until the draft/free agency before we start with the nonsensical hyperbole?

This is very ridiculous. Very. No sources...complete rhetoric. However, it should be noted that Jason Pominville and Pascal Dupuis are best friends. On the other hand, we also know Lindy's history with Russian born hockey players. Can we wait until the draft/free agency before we start with the nonsensical hyperbole?

100% Regierian outlook here. No reason to use the trade deadline as tool to improve the team. :doh:

Archived