Sabres to target Malkin?

Two or less

I'm sure everyone has heard the rumors of Evgeni Malkin getting traded for almost a year now out of Pittsburgh, even doing a quick search, the hockey news even had a article saying they must trade him... http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33579-THNcom-Playoff-Blog-Penguins-must-trade-Malkin.html

While it's fun to talk rumors about Malkin and other teams (usually Los Angeles came up) but never Buffalo. Until now. Pegula is the owner with Pittsburgh connections and from all we read, he's building a Pittsburgh front office. Still probably a long shot, but, maybe, right?

So, today, i was listening to fan 590 out of Toronto, and they talked about a story they picked up from a morning show out of Pittsburgh. The hosts of the Pittsburgh based show said their sources say Pens are willing to trade Malkin and then they mentioned Buffalo as a very possible destination. No clue if they were just throwing darts at a wall or knew any leaks. But figured i'd post it.

As for the show on fan590, they threw out possible names of a deal that would work and it was really lopsided towards Buffalo. If i recall right, they said Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Luke Adam and a 1st round pick.

I'm sure everyone has heard the rumors of Evgeni Malkin getting traded for almost a year now out of Pittsburgh, even doing a quick search, the hockey news even had a article saying they must trade him... http://www.thehockey...ade-Malkin.html

While it's fun to talk rumors about Malkin and other teams (usually Los Angeles came up) but never Buffalo. Until now. Pegula is the owner with Pittsburgh connections and from all we read, he's building a Pittsburgh front office. Still probably a long shot, but, maybe, right?

So, today, i was listening to fan 590 out of Toronto, and they talked about a story they picked up from a morning show out of Pittsburgh. The hosts of the Pittsburgh based show said their sources say Pens are willing to trade Malkin and then they mentioned Buffalo as a very possible destination. No clue if they were just throwing darts at a wall or knew any leaks. But figured i'd post it.

As for the show on fan590, they threw out possible names of a deal that would work and it was really lopsided towards Buffalo. If i recall right, they said Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Luke Adam and a 1st round pick.

Why would Pittsburgh make that trade?

To address a position of need from a position of strength, coupled with a ton of cap space?

And we may like to complain about a guy like Pominville around here, but you'd have to imagine his production would go through the roof if he was skating with a guy like Crosby.

Why would Pittsburgh make that trade?

Trading Malkin would do a number of things for the Pens. First, it would net Pittsburgh a winger to play with Crosby; God only knows what type of numbers he could put up with something more than an average player to pass the puck to.

Second, it would open up more ice time for Staal; who, although he didn’t put up great numbers, was a beast in the playoffs and looks to be on the verge of becoming a player more akin to older brother Eric than the third line checker he’s been pigeon-holed as.

Also, a Malkin trade frees up cap space; $8.7 million to be exact. That’s a lot of cake. And having Staal’s $4 million as No. 2 center money makes a lot more sense these days. The $8.7-million difference could be spent shoring up a blueline that has just three players signed to it next season.

There’s the other problem in Pittsburgh: the Pens have just 16 players signed for next year and around $11 million to spend, depending on where the cap lands. The Pens could use the extra dough Malkin’s cap hit represents.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33579-THNcom-Playoff-Blog-Penguins-must-trade-Malkin.html#

That trade wouldn't give Pittsburgh much cap relief.

Depends on how you look at it. I'm assuming that this is an off-season deal, not a deadline trade. For one roster slot, they gain $3.4 million ($8.7 for Malkin vs. $5.3 for Pominville.) Sekera is a RFA this Summer who could be qualified for less than $1.5 million. He could fill an open slot cheaply, let them trade a more expensive defenseman, or could be traded away (has some value.) Adam is on a two-way deal, so he could play for the baby Pens and fill in cheaply when needed. So, it could save them quite a bit. Even if it were a deadline deal, it would save them the prorated portion of $2.4 million, but any other moves would be for prorated salary levels, too.

That trade wouldn't give Pittsburgh much cap relief.

Pitt currently has 16 players signed with only $6.2 in cap space for next year. They'd probably gain about $1.5 mill for next year in cap space, but would also have 2 more players under contract.

They could probably find a team with a better winger with less of a cap hit with another team though. Maybe Hemsky in Edmonton? Though he wouldn't really be the finisher they're looking for to pair with Crosby.

Depends on how you look at it. I'm assuming that this is an off-season deal, not a deadline trade. For one roster slot, they gain $3.4 million ($8.7 for Malkin vs. $5.3 for Pominville.) Sekera is a RFA this Summer who could be qualified for less than $1.5 million. He could fill an open slot cheaply, let them trade a more expensive defenseman, or could be traded away (has some value.) Adam is on a two-way deal, so he could play for the baby Pens and fill in cheaply when needed. So, it could save them quite a bit. Even if it were a deadline deal, it would save them the prorated portion of $2.4 million, but any other moves would be for prorated salary levels, too.

I'd prefer the Sabres keep Luke Adam. Pominville & Sekera I can live without.

I'd prefer the Sabres keep Luke Adam. Pominville & Sekera I can live without.

I like Adam, but if he's used in a trade to get a high caliber player, then I'm fine with that. Besides, do you think that you could trade all players that you "can live without" to get a player like Malkin? You have to give up stuff you want, because those players have value.

Wait - Malkin has 37 point in 42 games and Roy has 35 points in 35 games and has been injured for a while. Why would we want a streaky, injury-prone player who occasionally phones in a game? Hell, we already have Connolly. And if all those players are the asking price, any GM would have to be high to make that deal. I call BS on this rumor....

Wait - Malkin has 37 point in 42 games and Roy has 35 points in 35 games and has been injured for a while. Why would we want a streaky, injury-prone player who occasionally phones in a game? Hell, we already have Connolly. And if all those players are the asking price, any GM would have to be high to make that deal. I call BS on this rumor....

I call BS too, but figured i'd post it since it is interesting. However, if not now, i do think Malkin gets dealt next summer. Theres been talks of Pitt moving him for over a year now, and i doubt they would be able to re-sign him when he hits the market (2yr from now i think), so they will try to get as much as possible for him and not wait last second. Just a hunch on my part. Doubt Buffalo is involved in talks, but i do think number of teams are.

I call BS too, but figured i'd post it since it is interesting. However, if not now, i do think Malkin gets dealt next summer. Theres been talks of Pitt moving him for over a year now, and i doubt they would be able to re-sign him when he hits the market (2yr from now i think), so they will try to get as much as possible for him and not wait last second. Just a hunch on my part. Doubt Buffalo is involved in talks, but i do think number of teams are.

Not to say that Pegula's Sabres might not be interested in landing Malkin, assuming he is on the trading block; just not at that price. Malkin CAN be a dominating player when he wants to be, but too often he hasn't lived up to that (especially in the playoffs). If we could get him at a close-out price, why not? If we have to give up half the team, nope...

Not to say that Pegula's Sabres might not be interested in landing Malkin, assuming he is on the trading block; just not at that price. Malkin CAN be a dominating player when he wants to be, but too often he hasn't lived up to that (especially in the playoffs). If we could get him at a close-out price, why not? If we have to give up half the team, nope...

He won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago.

I like Adam, but if he's used in a trade to get a high caliber player, then I'm fine with that. Besides, do you think that you could trade all players that you "can live without" to get a player like Malkin? You have to give up stuff you want, because those players have value.

I agree - you have to give value to get value (unless your trading with Glenn Sather & similar types). Regardless, I think Buffalo will be pretty active through 2/28 as both buyers & sellers. I think they'll look to ship out the UFAs if they can get worthwhile picks: Connolly, Grier, Niedermayer, maybe Rivet & Montador all have value as veteran rentals and wouldn't detract from the teams current performance (in my opinion). Any other moves that make sense to improve the team for the long haul will be done if TP has a say. Frankly even if Buffalo makes the playoffs this year (which would be great regardless of how they do), they don't have the makeup to hoist the cup (never say never though). What TP is probably aiming for is to start building towards that as quickly as possible.

It's interesting to look at nhlnumbers site (despite the slug logo still being displayed there) and see regardless of what happens, the team is going to look different sooner rather than later. I'm hoping it will be sooner.

Archived