Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

FWIW, Mendola left on his own, as far as I know. Nice kid, but he's on the arrogant side, too. (Nick, I know you read this board and very occasionally post; please take this as constructive criticism.)

I think I understand where you're coming from with Schopp.

And I freaking love it when White argues with Sullivan. He just exposes Sully every time. What a job Sully has! To be a sports columnist--few facts are needed, it's all opinion and misery, and it's all about something that doesn't matter in the real world. I haven't heard White go at it with Roby, but I trust you that it happens. That's unfortunate, and maybe White (who is on the young side) could learn to not do that. I love White's morning diversions, though; that's the stuff that makes me not take life too seriously in the mornings.

It wasn't that long ago that Sullivan wrote about how the Ottawa Senators were the New England Patriots of hockey :clapping:

He's a bozo

Imagine how better off this world would be if these people actually read what we put on here.

The morning guys on GR definitely do--they pluck topics right off of this site (and I have no problem with that). I'm not sure if the afternoon guys do or not.

The morning guys on GR definitely do--they pluck topics right off of this site (and I have no problem with that). I'm not sure if the afternoon guys do or not.

The whole GR crew is on here. I've heard enough on particular days where it is obvious. They are smart to do so as this can be a think tank at times.

Really, it has been a horrible stretch to be in that business. In the past 7 years the only thing they have to keep them going was the Sabres run after the lockout and a few hot months from the Bills. I love to talk strategy and look into different angles, but it's pretty much been a moot point. Do you make a crapburger, or a crap souflet?

Did anybody read the first post? Dude is referencing the Sabres post-game show which is clearly NOT hosted by mike Schopp. I'm pretty sure Brian Kozial does that.

You're right but I think Schopp has been filling in the last few games - must be Kozial is on vacation?

I remember a whole bunch of us were complaining about how GR55 was up the butt of the organization and was afraid to criticize Ruff, S and BD both talked about that next show denying it and then threw out some puffball criticism of Ruff. Coincidence?

You guys feel bad for the Bulldog, imagine having to share a rare last name with this jackass like I do even though we're not related. Everyone just assumes we are though, which sucks because I'm a diehard Bills and Sabres fan and can't stand him.

I'm sure he's just as thrilled about it.

You said "which sucks because I'm a diehard Bills and Sabres fan and can't stand him", is that because as a "diehard" you are unable to accept real criticism of the Bills and Sabres? Would it be better if Mike Schoop spent three hours just trying to make people feel good. He's there to give an honest opinion. If you want smoke up your arce listen to the morning show.

You said "which sucks because I'm a diehard Bills and Sabres fan and can't stand him", is that because as a "diehard" you are unable to accept real criticism of the Bills and Sabres? Would it be better if Mike Schoop spent three hours just trying to make people feel good. He's there to give an honest opinion. If you want smoke up your arce listen to the morning show.

Just because he's giving his honest opinions doesn't mean he has to be a prig. I agree with a most of what he says and still think he's a d!ck.

I enjoy the show but sometime I wish mike would not seem so exasperated with the callers. I find it more enjoyable when they just ignore the maroons and move on. When mike takes it personally and goes off on uncomfortable diatribes it makes me not want to listen. Overall, it's entertaining. I like the guests they have on and find the bits like 10 opinions pretty humorous.

On the other hand, Jeremy white is intolerable. He seems to think he is always right and berates everyone who disagrees.

I enjoy the show but sometime I wish mike would not seem so exasperated with the callers. I find it more enjoyable when they just ignore the maroons and move on. When mike takes it personally and goes off on uncomfortable diatribes it makes me not want to listen. Overall, it's entertaining. I like the guests they have on and find the bits like 10 opinions pretty humorous.

On the other hand, Jeremy white is intolerable. He seems to think he is always right and berates everyone who disagrees.

The 30 for 30's were hilarious.

I really don't mind when Mike Schoop goes off on the callers. It's a show of emotion that doesn't seem premeditated. Just the same as when Chris Parker rants from the heart. There is a real honesty about their show and their opinions.

I get the impression sometimes that Jeremy White is trying to be Colin Cowart Jr. It's as if he says what is everyone saying and I will just say the opposite. I'm sure it's not the case but I do get that impression sometimes. His point about people wanting Lindy Ruff fired because of peer pressure was just asinine. Because fans say "I Like Lindy but" that means fans want a new coach because others teams have new coaches. It can't possibly mean that Lindy is a nice guy who did some really good things in his time in Buffalo and that maybe it is time for a change?

The 30 for 30's were hilarious.

I really don't mind when Mike Schoop goes off on the callers. It's a show of emotion that doesn't seem premeditated. Just the same as when Chris Parker rants from the heart. There is a real honesty about their show and their opinions.

I get the impression sometimes that Jeremy White is trying to be Colin Cowart Jr. It's as if he says what is everyone saying and I will just say the opposite. I'm sure it's not the case but I do get that impression sometimes. His point about people wanting Lindy Ruff fired because of peer pressure was just asinine. Because fans say "I Like Lindy but" that means fans want a new coach because others teams have new coaches. It can't possibly mean that Lindy is a nice guy who did some really good things in his time in Buffalo and that maybe it is time for a change?

He had an interesting one about how hockey has degenerated into shots to the net and trying to get traffic, rebounds and bounce in goals. The game is just throw the puck at the net now, not quick passes and one timers, etc. Made me think. I agree with him the rules should be changed to make it more "wide open," but I guess we have been complaining about that for decades. Still,amybe there is a reason we have been complaining that long

He had an interesting one about how hockey has degenerated into shots to the net and trying to get traffic, rebounds and bounce in goals. The game is just throw the puck at the net now, not quick passes and one timers, etc. Made me think. I agree with him the rules should be changed to make it more "wide open," but I guess we have been complaining about that for decades. Still,amybe there is a reason we have been complaining that long

I heard that too and they tried that. It only lasted two years and not in the playoffs. But the old school (who never wanted it in the first place) won out, giving you the wrestling matches where someone occasionally scores we see today.

EDIT: (he types as he watches a 6 to 4 game between Philly and LA.)

Again this morning, Jerry Sullivan on the Howard Simon Show :doh: Who is the GM of that station? Darcey Regier? I tried, I tuned out about three minutes in.

Sully is critical of the Sabres, so it definitely wouldn't be Regier's doing.

I tuned out, too. Right about the time that I realized it was not a workday and that I had no reason to get up to the alarm (which is set to 55).

I love how one of them has been "out sick" about a day a week for the past year+.

I guess GR has been handing out the furloughs.

Poor Schoop was a jumpstart with tons of talent when he started. It looked like he could have been picked up somewhere, but then like so much that is Buffalo...has pretty much been on automatic pilot knowing there isn't much opportunity. He's a thoughtful guy who probably does up his annoying side to hook listeners.

Something changed at GR late last year. the Sabres must have dumped some financial support or something, because they started to get critical of the team. Paul Hamilton sounds like he'd roast the whole organization over the coals nowadays where he would tend to support them in the past.

I almost started to call the Whiner line a while ago so I could roast Lindy Ruff. I would have verbaly Al Quaida'd that event.

This is a great post, IMO...........I thought I was the only one who noticed how many days these guys take off. I may be the only one, but I like them together as a team, more than when they are separate, but Greg Bauch is really funny, so if he's able to jump in more, that helps.........I just don't get how they get that many days off!

Good assessment on Schopp.

Also, everybody on the Bills board says the Sabres don't get criticized on GR. You are right about Hamilton. I actually would go further and say the whole station (actually, I don't listen in the morning, so I guess I should just say S&B, Sully and especially Hamilton) have been criticizing them when they need to be criticized for 2-3 years now. (They used to just kiss butt, but that has not been the case for awhile).

And, I'm actually surprised at how Hamilton roasts them over the coals, like you said. He is so scathing, and yet he is the one who has to see them every day, fly with them, etc.

This is a great post, IMO...........I thought I was the only one who noticed how many days these guys take off. I may be the only one, but I like them together as a team, more than when they are separate, but Greg Bauch is really funny, so if he's able to jump in more, that helps.........I just don't get how they get that many days off!

Good assessment on Schopp.

Also, everybody on the Bills board says the Sabres don't get criticized on GR. You are right about Hamilton. I actually would go further and say the whole station (actually, I don't listen in the morning, so I guess I should just say S&B, Sully and especially Hamilton) have been criticizing them when they need to be criticized for 2-3 years now. (They used to just kiss butt, but that has not been the case for awhile).

And, I'm actually surprised at how Hamilton roasts them over the coals, like you said. He is so scathing, and yet he is the one who has to see them every day, fly with them, etc.

Yeah....I'm sure advertising is tough to come by these days and the station probably had to shrink things down. I'm just guessing, but I assume they are being forced to take days because they want to keep them together. I don't listen to the morning show so I don't know what the deal is there.

I think Greg Bauch is really funny as well. I wish he'd let himself wander to the dark side more often because he can come up with good stuff. The funniest thing I heard was a bit last year about Fox reality shows with ex-NFL players. He used Al Toon, I think Tom Dempsy...it was not what i am used to from him but I was laughing out loud which is tough to get me to do.

Hamilton was a riot the other day before the Anaheim game. He talked about Gerbe with pure disdain...what a failure...the experiment needs to end...etc. Then after the game he put the shine on as he interviewed him after his big game. It was funny, but I guess it's part of the job.

Yeah....I'm sure advertising is tough to come by these days and the station probably had to shrink things down. I'm just guessing, but I assume they are being forced to take days because they want to keep them together. I don't listen to the morning show so I don't know what the deal is there.

I think Greg Bauch is really funny as well. I wish he'd let himself wander to the dark side more often because he can come up with good stuff. The funniest thing I heard was a bit last year about Fox reality shows with ex-NFL players. He used Al Toon, I think Tom Dempsy...it was not what i am used to from him but I was laughing out loud which is tough to get me to do.

Hamilton was a riot the other day before the Anaheim game. He talked about Gerbe with pure disdain...what a failure...the experiment needs to end...etc. Then after the game he put the shine on as he interviewed him after his big game. It was funny, but I guess it's part of the job.

Oh, I wasn't thinking they were sort of forced days off. I thought these two were getting away with murder on how many days they get off! I'm sure you're right about that.

I'd like to see Greg Bauch when he does standup. He really does crack me up. He can say anything into that megaphone thing or whatever it is and I laugh. (And, actually that's the joke is when he does say anything and it sounds important,like yesterday - "Tournament of Fruit!" "Apples!")

Yeah, I've heard Hamilton talk about Gerbe and he just does not think he's an NHL player. He calls him an AHL player.......I think it takes some stones to do that when you know you have to interview them later.

I feel sorry for him and bull dog. They seem to have wandered into this occupation as youths and while successful at it seem board and uninterested. I get the feeling they both wished they were just regular fans instead of people who need to produce opinions and discussion topics. Schopp admits [/b]he doesn't really like football and while I like listening to them while driving Schopp can be a real jerk at times. He has very little patience for the morons that call his show and I guess I can't blame him sometimes

Bob, I have respect for your opinion but this is the kind of mis-information that Mike hates. He has stated ad nauseum that he hates the arrogance of the entity that is the NFL and that he is not as passionate about the Bills as he is about the Sabres but he never stated that he doesn't like football. In fact he was a Bills' season ticket holder for years. As Deluca said he has little patience or tolerance for those that can't articulate, and I would add back, their opinions or beliefs with facts. He also has the same lack of patience for those that mis-represent his words or opinions.

There is no doubts that baseball is his passion but he is a true Sabre fan that would fit in well with some of the posters on the board that I have come to consider friends ( and I don't throw that around lightly). One thing that some would hold against him, however, is that he just doesn't take sports as serious as some would like given his occupation.

Bob, I have respect for your opinion but this is the kind of mis-information that Mike hates. He has stated ad nauseum that he hates the arrogance of the entity that is the NFL and that he is not as passionate about the Bills as he is about the Sabres but he never stated that he doesn't like football. In fact he was a Bills' season ticket holder for years. As Deluca said he has little patience or tolerance for those that can't articulate, and I would add back, their opinions or beliefs with facts. He also has the same lack of patience for those that mis-represent his words or opinions.

There is no doubts that baseball is his passion but he is a true Sabre fan that would fit in well with some of the posters on the board that I have come to consider friends ( and I don't throw that around lightly). One thing that some would hold against him, however, is that he just doesn't take sports as serious as some would like given his occupation.

I'm not sure about this final point. I think he is very serious about sports. He is very knowledgeable about sports and you don't get there without being serious about sports. The morning show could an infusion of his knowledge. The morning show has not been this bad since Bauerle and The Bulldog.

Also,

I thought Mike was a Leafs fan growing up?

Listen tough guy, re-read the post and show me where I said why I dislike him. Exactly. A bit premature to jump down my throat considering I said nothing about his "honest opinions". My main gripe with him is his hopping on and off when either the Bills or Sabres go from good to bad, or bad to good. While not as contrasting as it once was, I vividly remember him during the Losman era calling for his (JP's) head after a bad game, and calling him "the next franchise quarterback" after a positive performance the next week. It was actually his unwillingness to own up to previous praise or distaste when things shifted (as they often do in Buffalo) that formed my opinion on him. But thanks for assuming and attacking for no reason.

[/b]

I'm not sure about this final point. I think he is very serious about sports. He is very knowledgeable about sports and you don't get there without being serious about sports. The morning show could an infusion of his knowledge. The morning show has not been this bad since Bauerle and The Bulldog.

Also,

I thought Mike was a Leafs fan growing up?

He might be knowledgeable, but he definitely doesn't like sports as much as he did either when he was growing up or when he got into his business. I heard him say within the last month when complaining about the topic they landed on and said that when this gig is up, he's "running as far away from sports as possible.".......I think I'd be sick of it if I had to talk about the same Bills and Sabres stuff over and over all the time, and then repeating it thoughout the day, and then getting all the callers opinions on it.....I rarely listen for the sports, unless it's a big sports day. Otherwise, I love when they do Ten Opinions and things like that........I listen to Brad Riter actually much more now than S&B.

Archived