Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

I guess its hard to articulate. Iowa is not Div I like BC or UNH. Its club. I'm sure there are many on this board with more playing experience and knowledge, who would be able to analyze things without the attitude.

I think this is a good analogy. Him making a run at that would be roughly the equivalent of Mark Mancari, an elite AHL player, getting a serious shot at the Canadian olympic team.

I think this is a good analogy. Him making a run at that would be roughly the equivalent of Mark Mancari, an elite AHL player, getting a serious shot at the Canadian olympic team.

Or Rory Fitzpatrick having a serious shot at making an NHL All-Star roster.

Oh, wait...

You definitely qualified it with "supposedly." I think both you and whoever posted whatever on TBD had listened to Brad and Jeremy putting Paul on a little bit. It's no big deal. It's also no big deal to get ACHA D-I and "real" D-I confused. Happens.

But there's just no WAY that Paul had a shot for that 1980 USA team!

FWIW, I like Paul; I agree that he can get a little smug sometimes, but I like his reporting on what's going on w the team.

Thanks for catching that I said supposedly. I'm pretty sure Brad and Jeremy were serious. They weren't talking to Paul at the time.......But, they were probably exaggerating or heard an exaggerated story. It seemed legit to me because I did figure that Iowa State was NCAA DI, mainly because they are in top conference for other sports.

Sounds like you guys know what you are talking about as far as him not being "in the same league" to even be considered for it.

Now, I also heard Schopp and the Bulldog one time playing back a big Gretzky goal from the early '80s. And, Paul was on the national broadcast of that (NBC maybe?)......Was that them playing more games with my head or is that legit?

And, I'm not a huge Paul Hamilton fan or anything, but I actually do think it takes some guts to call these guys out in pretty harsh terms when you know you're going to have see them every day, and I think travel with them, as well.

Thanks for catching that I said supposedly. I'm pretty sure Brad and Jeremy were serious. They weren't talking to Paul at the time.......But, they were probably exaggerating or heard an exaggerated story. It seemed legit to me because I did figure that Iowa State was NCAA DI, mainly because they are in top conference for other sports.

Sounds like you guys know what you are talking about as far as him not being "in the same league" to even be considered for it.

Now, I also heard Schopp and the Bulldog one time playing back a big Gretzky goal from the early '80s. And, Paul was on the national broadcast of that (NBC maybe?)......Was that them playing more games with my head or is that legit?

And, I'm not a huge Paul Hamilton fan or anything, but I actually do think it takes some guts to call these guys out in pretty harsh terms when you know you're going to have see them every day, and I think travel with them, as well.

Not sure about that. If I were to bet on it, I would bet that those guys were screwing around, too. There's a fair amount of that on GR. They're only serious when they're holding a cutlery draft or something.

Not sure about that. If I were to bet on it, I would bet that those guys were screwing around, too. There's a fair amount of that on GR. They're only serious when they're holding a cutlery draft or something.

Seeing as he is still working in Buffalo as a beat reporter 30 years after college, I sincerely doubt he was doing national broadcasts on NBC in the 80's.

I'm almost 100% sure that's a real clip. I have no idea who Hamilton was doing the broadcast for.

He also said something last week about almost becoming the full-time play by play man for the Thrashers (or maybe one of the other newer expansion teams) when they came into the league. He's had a pretty solid career in hockey.

I'm almost 100% sure that's a real clip. I have no idea who Hamilton was doing the broadcast for.

He also said something last week about almost becoming the full-time play by play man for the Thrashers (or maybe one of the other newer expansion teams) when they came into the league. He's had a pretty solid career in hockey.

I'm almost 100% sure, too, because S&B were kind of making a joke about how he started out so high and then realized that it wasn't sounding good and said but he's got a great job now and does a great job at it.

They weren't playing the clip because of Hamilton. They were playing the clip because of Gretzky, and then just mentioned that Hey, you know who that is BTW talking on the clip.

I heard him say that about the Thrashers last week, too. Sounded like he had the job and then the guy who got it was a last minute switch.

Jeremy and Paul Hamilton are 10x better than Schopp and the Bulldog. The only reason I even listen to those 2 clowns is when they have Jerry Sullivan on because he's insane and I love it.

But sorry we hurt your feelings, Mike.

Local Radio Personalities Who Are Better Than Schopp

Nick Mendola

Brad Riter

Howard Simon

Paul Hamilton

Jeremy White

Joe Buscaglia

Jeremy Noeson

Janet Snyder

John Lamon (The dude from WYRK)

The static you here between AM stations

The Lady from the church station

The Ghost of Chuck Dickerson

Snuffy

Al

Leo

Little Moe with the Gimpy Leg

Cheeks

Boney Bob

Cliff

Brian Kozial

AND THE WINNER IS...

The static you here between AM stations

:clapping:

I'm almost 100% sure, too, because S&B were kind of making a joke about how he started out so high and then realized that it wasn't sounding good and said but he's got a great job now and does a great job at it.

They weren't playing the clip because of Hamilton. They were playing the clip because of Gretzky, and then just mentioned that Hey, you know who that is BTW talking on the clip.

I heard him say that about the Thrashers last week, too. Sounded like he had the job and then the guy who got it was a last minute switch.

That's how it sounded to me too. He didn't seem bitter at all though. Hamilton seems like a pretty good guy who likes his job (especially now that Pegula is here and it might actually be exciting covering the Sabres).

Over the weekend, I emailed somebody that I know, who I know is good friends with Paul Hamilton. Take this for what it's worth.

Me:

I had heard that Paul was one of the last cuts on the Miracle on Ice team...........I

also am quite sure that I heard a national clip of some Gretzky goal

from the early 80s and that Paul somehow was on the national broadcast

(not sure if it was radio or TV). Am I making this up?

His reply:

Both are true. Gretzky goal was him breaking Phil Esposito's single season goals record against Don Edwards and the Sabres.

Over the weekend, I emailed somebody that I know, who I know is good friends with Paul Hamilton. Take this for what it's worth.

Me:

I had heard that Paul was one of the last cuts on the Miracle on Ice team...........I

His reply:

Both are true. Gretzky goal was him breaking Phil Esposito's single season goals record against Don Edwards and the Sabres.

Good work. Although, I guess you could have just emailed Paul himself. The WGR guys usually reply to emails.

Me:

His reply:

When did Paul break into broadcasting? He would have been a very young pup when Gretzky scored that goal, seemingly way too young and inexperienced to be on a national broadcast.

When did Paul break into broadcasting? He would have been a very young pup when Gretzky scored that goal, seemingly way too young and inexperienced to be on a national broadcast.

I admit that it didn't seem to make a lot of sense when I heard the clip myself. I'm not even sure if it's the radio or TV broadcast, but it is national......But, I had heard about the Olympic thing before that, so I thought maybe that played into it.

So, my thinking about PH since I had heard these things years ago was that he carries a good amount of weight when it comes to his hockey opinions.

I don't care if people don't like him. He definitely can be caustic when talking about the players. I happen to admire that because you'd think most guys wouldn't say stuff like that to pro athletes they have to deal with on a daily basis.

But, what I didn't like here is being made to look like a fool. That I'm stupid enough to not know when people on the air are joking, etc. The two things I'm saying may or may not be true, but they were presented on air as the truth.

Good work. Although, I guess you could have just emailed Paul himself. The WGR guys usually reply to emails.

I thought about that, but didn't know how I would ask Paul that. It seemed like it might be slightly offensive to ask him.......I know his wife just died and I didn't want to ask that at this time.

I admit that it didn't seem to make a lot of sense when I heard the clip myself. I'm not even sure if it's the radio or TV broadcast, but it is national......But, I had heard about the Olympic thing before that, so I thought maybe that played into it.

So, my thinking about PH since I had heard these things years ago was that he carries a good amount of weight when it comes to his hockey opinions.

I don't care if people don't like him. He definitely can be caustic when talking about the players. I happen to admire that because you'd think most guys wouldn't say stuff like that to pro athletes they have to deal with on a daily basis.

But, what I didn't like here is being made to look like a fool. That I'm stupid enough to not know when people on the air are joking, etc. The two things I'm saying may or may not be true, but they were presented on air as the truth.

Since I typed all this in reply to PA's question, I didn't want it to get stuck unseen on the bottom of the last page, so I'm replying to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Although people might not agree on many things he says, I can tell you that knowing him personally, he is a very nice guy. You don't have to agree with him or how he might treat callers but he is totally different off the show....just sayin'

You need to tell him to take more vitamin C and zinc. He's always getting sick.

Can Schopp get over that they spelled some players name's wrong? Ok they are gone! The new owners are here and I'm sure they can spell, get over it!

I am certainly not here to defend Schopp but I will say on this issue, I am in 100% agreement. It is embarrassing for these types of mistakes to occur in any organization. Sports, Government or otherwise.

It is not acceptable and even less so if he has been telling them since October while broadcasting in their very building. Shouldn't someone have some pride and simply FIX it?

What am I saying :doh: These are the same people that can't spell current players names on their jerseys!

But wait it's even deeper than that! The current player is so lackadaisical even he doesn't notice for days that his name is spelled wrong on the jersey on his back :doh:

Good god does this team and organization ever need a shakeup.

Willy from Cheektowaga

Archived