Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

Guys I am new to the board as I just found the site. And so far I like it a lot. I must weigh in on Mike Schopp though.

He is the reason that I got Sirius radio. I listen to the radio all day. I work in an office and there are not many sports fans around so I just close the door to my office and turn on the radio. The morning show I can deal with, sometimes Jeremy drives me nuts (like when he mentions he went to Syracuse 100x a show) but he is entertaining. Colin is annoying. Rome I love. I laugh a few times almost every show. But then when 3pm hits, and it goes down hill. I really try to listen everyday for a few minutes just to hear the topics, but inevitably I turn on Sirius and listen to that. Forinstance, yesterday Schopp opened with talkiing about how Miller has played 22 straight games. Now I do not know if the rest of the show was like this, but a whole show about how we do not have a backup goalie...? That has been done a million times over. I find that their show is very stale and well just old. Plus Schopp thinks he is a genius when he is an idiot IMO. Just my thoughts, and thanks for having a board where I can vent. I am glad I found this place!

Guys I am new to the board as I just found the site. And so far I like it a lot. I must weigh in on Mike Schopp though.

He is the reason that I got Sirius radio. I listen to the radio all day. I work in an office and there are not many sports fans around so I just close the door to my office and turn on the radio. The morning show I can deal with, sometimes Jeremy drives me nuts (like when he mentions he went to Syracuse 100x a show) but he is entertaining. Colin is annoying. Rome I love. I laugh a few times almost every show. But then when 3pm hits, and it goes down hill. I really try to listen everyday for a few minutes just to hear the topics, but inevitably I turn on Sirius and listen to that. Forinstance, yesterday Schopp opened with talkiing about how Miller has played 22 straight games. Now I do not know if the rest of the show was like this, but a whole show about how we do not have a backup goalie...? That has been done a million times over. I find that their show is very stale and well just old. Plus Schopp thinks he is a genius when he is an idiot IMO. Just my thoughts, and thanks for having a board where I can vent. I am glad I found this place!

In Schopp's defense, Buffalo must be one of the most boring sports cities in the United States.

The Bills suck. They don't have any players that are good, or even interesting. The most interesting part about that team is that no one knows what's going to happen when the 1000-year-old owner dies.

Then you've got the Sabres. The last time the Sabres made a bold trade, they got Chris Drury. That was summer 2003. Since then it's been nothing but letting star players leave, re-signing the wrong players, and making terrible trade deadline deals for rental players who are fat and/or awful at hockey.

And if you love college sports, Buffalo is also just about the worst city you could be in.

I can't imagine doing four straight hours of Buffalo sports talk even once. Mike Schopp and Chris Parker have to do four hours of radio on our horrible, super-boring teams five days a week, all year long. For what they have to work with, I think they do a pretty good job.

I thought yesterdays topic was among the most relevant discussions I've heard them have.

They actually came to Lalime's defense, which I found surprising as most people think he sucks. They brought up the point that has been brought up here 1000x, how can you expect your back up to be any good playing once every 2 months.

There's almost a good concept for a show there -- The Odd Couple, a Buffalo guy and a Buffalo guy who denies being a "Buffalo guy." Should be lots of tension. But Bulldog has to sit there like an emotionally abused spouse and agree most of the time, or if he disagrees, do it so carefully as not to be beaten. Bulldog is really smart -- pretty clearly smarter than Mike, but Mike likes to hear himself talk too much. Soooo-ewwwww...

If Bulldog would tell Mike to shut up, you're not that smart once in a while, I'd listen more often. Unleash the Bulldog!

There's almost a good concept for a show there -- The Odd Couple, a Buffalo guy and a Buffalo guy who denies being a "Buffalo guy." Should be lots of tension. But Bulldog has to sit there like an emotionally abused spouse and agree most of the time, or if he disagrees, do it so carefully as not to be beaten. Bulldog is really smart -- pretty clearly smarter than Mike, but Mike likes to hear himself talk too much. Soooo-ewwwww...

If Bulldog would tell Mike to shut up, you're not that smart once in a while, I'd listen more often. Unleash the Bulldog!

I couldn't disagree with you more on this. Schopp is clearly the brighter of the two. Have you ever heard the show when Mike is on vacation? It just plods along with tons more phone calls. And Chris never gets confrontational with callers no matter how terrible or nonsensical their points are. Mike can be an ass to callers, which is especially egregious when he misunderstands a valid point and hangs up immediately, but at least he has some different, contrarian takes from time to time. He's kind of a jerk but he's at least as bored with Buffalo's sports scene as I am and I can appreciate that.

Chris is clearly the nicer guy who loves the city more, but he's not all that exciting on the radio.

The real MVP of that show is Greg Bauch anyway. The Greg Buck audio clips are awesome and you can count on him to land a great one-liner.

Mike: "Is it tough to drown kittens?"

Greg: "Well....morally."

Nice welcome rant. One thing I don't get though,.. Jim Rome. Either I'm too old or not hip enough, but I just don't get anything he is saying. Maybe you have to listen for a while but the whole show just seems like an inside joke that I'm not in on.

Nice welcome rant. One thing I don't get though,.. Jim Rome. Either I'm too old or not hip enough, but I just don't get anything he is saying. Maybe you have to listen for a while but the whole show just seems like an inside joke that I'm not in on.

You need to listen a while, I've been listening since the mid -nineties.

FWIW, Mendola left on his own, as far as I know. Nice kid, but he's on the arrogant side, too. (Nick, I know you read this board and very occasionally post; please take this as constructive criticism.)

I think I understand where you're coming from with Schopp.

And I freaking love it when White argues with Sullivan. He just exposes Sully every time. What a job Sully has! To be a sports columnist--few facts are needed, it's all opinion and misery, and it's all about something that doesn't matter in the real world. I haven't heard White go at it with Roby, but I trust you that it happens. That's unfortunate, and maybe White (who is on the young side) could learn to not do that. I love White's morning diversions, though; that's the stuff that makes me not take life too seriously in the mornings.

I certainly don't mean to be arrogant. Maybe that makes it worse. It's just that I'm so awesome.

Criticism accepted.

Love the board... Scott does a good job here and with TBD. Hope you check out our shows... Brad 4-7 and me 7-10, M-F on www.weck1230.com

I certainly don't mean to be arrogant. Maybe that makes it worse. It's just that I'm so awesome.

Criticism accepted.

Love the board... Scott does a good job here and with TBD. Hope you check out our shows... Brad 4-7 and me 7-10, M-F on www.weck1230.com

:lol:

Good column today, btw.

Link?

Criticism accepted.

Why listen to Brad when you can read his show right here before it happens?

Why aren't you the morning show host talking sports? The morning time slot is in this area is in desperate need of a sports talk show. Seems like it would be some easy ratings points for your station? You could have 'Mute and the Mime in the Mornings' and still have a more interesting show than Howard "I don't stay up past 6 PM to watch sports" Simon and his sidekick "Continually Talks Over Guests."

Just read it and it is a good article. I really like Sekera's game and i've said it on here ever since the Olympics. He's probably the Sabres BEST skater. I'm glad the media is starting to notice a little bit too.

Btw, i do enjoy your show a lot. I listen online. I used to love Brad Riter's show on WGR but honestly i never really tune to it for some reason during the day. Either busy or just go to WGR (they do have good game day coverage).

In this mega media thread, does anybody know where the heck did Jim Brinson go? lol

You need to listen a while, I've been listening since the mid -nineties.

I used to listen to Rome all the time. I used to love the show. I went to the Buffalo Tour Stop and all that.........But, somewhere along the line, he started driving me nuts. I was used to him repeating himself for three hours. But, then he started throwing in Alvin's sound bytes and drops all the time, and it's just annoying as hell.

Now, that I have podcasting, I listen to shows like Brad's and Tony Kornheiser, where it's not the same thing over and over. And, there are no callers to repeat the same thing over and over like on GR.

When I do listen to Rome when I don't have my iphone with me, etc., he still can make me laugh, though. Just not as much as he used to (the callers and emailers all changed, too, and not for the better).

• 2 weeks later...

Schopp needs to go, he's too angry, he doesn't listen to the callers and goes off semantics all the time. IT's annoying and he makes it unlistenable.

He also nitpicks at how people pronounce the names of players, yet he doesn't know to pronounce "Hasek." (But not many do.)

Still, he's our last best hope that Golisano will answer for the Drury situation before riding off into the sunset.

He also nitpicks at how people pronounce the names of players, yet he doesn't know to pronounce "Hasek." (But not many do.)

Still, he's our last best hope that Golisano will answer for the Drury situation before riding off into the sunset.

I'm betting that he will specifically ask him to address Drury and his role in the contract fiasco. I don't listen often but just heard a few minutes of Schopp and he was lambasting TG for his bottom line running of the Sabres.

Schopp needs to go, he's too angry, he doesn't listen to the callers and goes off semantics all the time. IT's annoying and he makes it unlistenable.

Is that a negative?

Mike Schopp will acknowledge when a caller is on point and expresses well. He will also set aflame the majority of callers that have no idea what they are talking about. During a recent show several callers wanted to defend Lindy Ruff and say he should stay as coach. None of them knew Lindy's accomplishments. They kept on referring to his two conference finals appearances. :doh: That's what he has to deal with as a radio talk show host.

Is that a negative?

Mike Schopp will acknowledge when a caller is on point and expresses well. He will also set aflame the majority of callers that have no idea what they are talking about. During a recent show several callers wanted to defend Lindy Ruff and say he should stay as coach. None of them knew Lindy's accomplishments. They kept on referring to his two conference finals appearances. :doh: That's what he has to deal with as a radio talk show host.

He's on their level of hockey intelligence. He doesnt know the sport that well so to criticize callers like he does, in a condescending way, is a little out of line.

I had the misfortune of listening to him a few weeks ago, i was amazaed how many time he said "i dont know" when talking about things like stats or things similar to how many time Ruff has been to the Conf Finals.

He also flashed his comprehension of the game of hockey with such gems as " its so much easier for a rookie Dman to make it in the NHL than a rookie forward" what???

He's on their level of hockey intelligence. He doesnt know the sport that well so to criticize callers like he does, in a condescending way, is a little out of line.

I had the misfortune of listening to him a few weeks ago, i was amazaed how many time he said "i dont know" when talking about things like stats or things similar to how many time Ruff has been to the Conf Finals.

He also flashed his comprehension of the game of hockey with such gems as " its so much easier for a rookie Dman to make it in the NHL than a rookie forward" what???

When Mike Schopp get's "condescending" it is usually well deserved.

There is nothing wrong with him saying "I don't know." Maybe listeners should admit the same before they call it would save everyone from having to listen to those horrendous calls. When he buries those callers it is greatly deserved.

"its so much easier for a rookie Dman to make it in the NHL than a rookie forward" - Would you care to elaborate on the entire conversation? It what way does he consider it "easier?" Was he referring to all Rookie Dman or those of the level of Tyler Myers?

I'm betting that he will specifically ask him to address Drury and his role in the contract fiasco. I don't listen often but just heard a few minutes of Schopp and he was lambasting TG for his bottom line running of the Sabres.

I wasn't able to listen to the interview with TG yesterday. Did he do this?

Archived