Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

I am certainly not here to defend Schopp but I will say on this issue, I am in 100% agreement. It is embarrassing for these types of mistakes to occur in any organization. Sports, Government or otherwise.

It is not acceptable and even less so if he has been telling them since October while broadcasting in their very building. Shouldn't someone have some pride and simply FIX it?

What am I saying :doh: These are the same people that can't spell current players names on their jerseys!

But wait it's even deeper than that! The current player is so lackadaisical even he doesn't notice for days that his name is spelled wrong on the jersey on his back :doh:

Good god does this team and organization ever need a shakeup.

Willy from Cheektowaga

It's almost as bad as the holocaust!

He can get snotty. His interview tonight was respectful and even informative at times.

I was taking a shot at Pegula getting preachy on him. Schopp was just matter of factly saying..."Yeah...used to hate those Nordique teams." Pegula stepped in like the nun who taught X. in 4th grade....."You what?....No!..You intensely disliked them."

Schopp...if I can read his mind, did a quick WTF? and Pegula said it again.

I'd bet $100 that exchange was the first thing out of Schopp's mouth out the door today.

I was taking a shot at Pegula getting preachy on him. Schopp was just matter of factly saying..."Yeah...used to hate those Nordique teams." Pegula stepped in like the nun who taught X. in 4th grade....."You what?....No!..You intensely disliked them."

Schopp...if I can read his mind, did a quick WTF? and Pegula said it again.

I'd bet $100 that exchange was the first thing out of Schopp's mouth out the door today.

Oh, I didn't hear that part. That is pretty funny. And I wouldn't take that bet; you've got to be right on that one.

Was Pegula joking around?

Not from what I've seen so far.

He went on a 2 minute diatribe about how fans and media shouldn't say negative things about players because it hurts their feelings. This is the only thing that scares me right now. Pegula seems like a sincere guy who is going to be upfront, and pretty down to earth for the most part if not a little quirky. But the fan in him gets to the root of some of the discussion we've had here over the last few years. What is being a fan? Do you blindly remain loyal to everyone involved on the team because they are Sabres and you love the Sabres? Or, is a scathing review of underperformers and those who lack effort, being the true fan because you want to identify and remove weakness from your team as efficiently as possible? Then we have everything in between.

I don't want to say Pegula doesn't have a sense of humor, because he's thrown out 3 or 4 non-PC lines already. I think he just firmly believes in treating people like family, and might take offense to negative comments about his new "family". We're still early in this rodeo, so I am not going to worry too much. Maybe once he is on the inside and sees Connolly stumbling into practice late with dark circles and dry heaves, he'll have a different view.

Not from what I've seen so far.

He went on a 2 minute diatribe about how fans and media shouldn't say negative things about players because it hurts their feelings. This is the only thing that scares me right now. Pegula seems like a sincere guy who is going to be upfront, and pretty down to earth for the most part if not a little quirky. But the fan in him gets to the root of some of the discussion we've had here over the last few years. What is being a fan? Do you blindly remain loyal to everyone involved on the team because they are Sabres and you love the Sabres? Or, is a scathing review of underperformers and those who lack effort, being the true fan because you want to identify and remove weakness from your team as efficiently as possible? Then we have everything in between.

I don't want to say Pegula doesn't have a sense of humor, because he's thrown out 3 or 4 non-PC lines already. I think he just firmly believes in treating people like family, and might take offense to negative comments about his new "family". We're still early in this rodeo, so I am not going to worry too much. Maybe once he is on the inside and sees Connolly stumbling into practice late with dark circles and dry heaves, he'll have a different view.

But, why would he consider the defunct Nordiques family?

But, why would he consider the defunct Nordiques family?

Different comments, same theme. Sounds like he doesn't like extreme negative comments in general.

I didn't see him, but it sounded serious because Schopp tried to defuse it with what was supposed to be a bit of a self depricating comment about women's tennis, but it got worse because it sounded like Pegula thought he was being a smartass and didn't understand he was serious. By the end he figured it out and was cool with it.

The whole thing is a whirlwind and tough to digest. Everyone feeling each other out. I want to like Ted Black but then look at the hair product and mango/almondette facial scrub residue on his face from this morning and I can't help but get the feeling I'm going to be asked to buy a timeshare. Either that, or Ryan Miller is about to get a 10 year extension.

Pegula has said some socially awkward things. I can't tell if it is him being him, having FU money, being a giddy naive fan, or a little bit of everything. He tells me to be patient, but I don't like patience when it has been proven beyond a doubt what someone is made of. I will give Pegula patience because he is new to this and is treating the team like a child right now. I guess I'd rather have that over someone nickling and diming it.

Different comments, same theme. Sounds like he doesn't like extreme negative comments in general.

I didn't see him, but it sounded serious because Schopp tried to defuse it with what was supposed to be a bit of a self depricating comment about women's tennis, but it got worse because it sounded like Pegula thought he was being a smartass and didn't understand he was serious. By the end he figured it out and was cool with it.

The whole thing is a whirlwind and tough to digest. Everyone feeling each other out. I want to like Ted Black but then look at the hair product and mango/almondette facial scrub residue on his face from this morning and I can't help but get the feeling I'm going to be asked to buy a timeshare. Either that, or Ryan Miller is about to get a 10 year extension.

Pegula has said some socially awkward things. I can't tell if it is him being him, having FU money, being a giddy naive fan, or a little bit of everything. He tells me to be patient, but I don't like patience when it has been proven beyond a doubt what someone is made of. I will give Pegula patience because he is new to this and is treating the team like a child right now. I guess I'd rather have that over someone nickling and diming it.

What was that "Moscow Dynamo" comment all about, anyway?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, again, I like Schopp but occasionally he says something completely stupid...and then obstinately sticks to it.

Yesterday, in the wake of the controversy over Sully stepping on the logo in the dressing room, Schopp asserted that the dressing room didn't "belong" to the players and that after games, it becomes common work space shared by the players and the media.

Umm, no.

His justification seemed to be that sports reporters do their work there; that they are required to be there and not there by choice.

That still doesn't mean it's shared work space. Reporters go into many, many workplaces. It doesn't mean that it becomes "their" workspace or that they don't have to abide by the rules or customs--HOWEVER NEW--of that workspace. (And the new custom was well-known to Sully, let's not forget. He does work for the publication that announced it.) This doesn't change simply because sports teams rely upon the media for free publicity. Plenty of businesses do the same thing; open a copy of your local business section and you are bound to see at least a couple of feel-good articles about local businesses who invited reporters on-site. That doesn't turn the business premises into shared workspace, and the Sabres dressing room isn't shared work space, either.

I know that Schopp gets a little zealous when defending his profession (understandably so), but this was ridiculous.

Ok, again, I like Schopp but occasionally he says something completely stupid...and then obstinately sticks to it.

Yesterday, in the wake of the controversy over Sully stepping on the logo in the dressing room, Schopp asserted that the dressing room didn't "belong" to the players and that after games, it becomes common work space shared by the players and the media.

Umm, no.

His justification seemed to be that sports reporters do their work there; that they are required to be there and not there by choice.

That still doesn't mean it's shared work space. Reporters go into many, many workplaces. It doesn't mean that it becomes "their" workspace or that they don't have to abide by the rules or customs--HOWEVER NEW--of that workspace. (And the new custom was well-known to Sully, let's not forget. He does work for the publication that announced it.) This doesn't change simply because sports teams rely upon the media for free publicity. Plenty of businesses do the same thing; open a copy of your local business section and you are bound to see at least a couple of feel-good articles about local businesses who invited reporters on-site. That doesn't turn the business premises into shared workspace, and the Sabres dressing room isn't shared work space, either.

I know that Schopp gets a little zealous when defending his profession (understandably so), but this was ridiculous.

I completely agree and wanted to smash my radio listening to him yesterday. He used the Sam Adams example to make his point. He was yelling, "this is our house!" and wouldn't turn his music down, but that was Media Day, where the media was invited in. Completely different.

I like Shopp as well (a recent convert, actually) but you are right, sometimes he gets a bug up his ass about something and is just a complete blockhead about it.

Umm, no.

i heard the same segment and thought the exact same thing. sully is employed by the buffalo news--NOT the sabres. he is a guest IN THEIR HOUSE. he's uses a press pass, which means that he's not a member of the sabres organization and requires special permission to get in to the locker room or wherever else he's allowed to go. you don't see the players wearing a press pass. their "pass" is their employment with the organization. it'd be no different than someone like gaustad wanting to go the buffalo news office building and interviewing sullivan. neither he nor anyone else on the sabres can just wander around without a guest badge. IT'S NOT SULLIVAN'S RIGHT--it's his privilege as a reporter to have access. privileges can be revoked; rights ... not so much.

I completely agree and wanted to smash my radio listening to him yesterday. He used the Sam Adams example to make his point. He was yelling, "this is our house!" and wouldn't turn his music down, but that was Media Day, where the media was invited in. Completely different.

I like Shopp as well (a recent convert, actually) but you are right, sometimes he gets a bug up his ass about something and is just a complete blockhead about it.

The counterpoint Schopp would make (which fails) is that the media is always invited in because the team needs the publicity. Forget it. As above, the media is invited in to all sorts of businesses, professors' offices, etc. Doesn't mean that it becomes the "media's workplace."

Adams was being a douche that day, though.

Schopp and Sully should both be stripped to their undies, given a swirly, and then hung from a coat hook by the band of their tighty whities. It would be a fitting punishment for their disrespect of the Sabres locker room, and simultaneously transport them back to their high school days. Days they spent cowering in fear of the athletes, constantly looking over their shoulder anticipating the next wedgie or dumptruck. They remained dateless throughout high school, due in no small part to their refusal to shower after gym class - they couldn't stand the thought of being naked in front of other guys - probably because they were afraid they would get a chubby.

Seriously - Sully's article and Schopp's stupidity reveal their nerd roots and high school jealousy. Every college, high school and pro team that has a logo on the floor in their locker room has the same tradition - no one walks across it - NO ONE! Odds are Sully did it intentionally to see what the reaction would be. Good for them that they cussed him out. The fact that Goose led the tirade says something about who is a leader in the room. Precious logo, Sully? Really? Guess the chess club didn't have a logo in the locker room. You obviously like sports - you pursued a profession covering them - but at your core you are a failed athlete - not good enough to do more than ride the pines - some jock probably stole your girlfriend, popped her cherry, and sent her crying back to you. Your jealousy shines through in every article you write.

Schopp is in the same boat - protecting his buddy sully - they are so much smarter than the players and management they cover. Jealous fan boys are what they are

Schopp and Sully should both be stripped to their undies, given a swirly, and then hung from a coat hook by the band of their tighty whities. It would be a fitting punishment for their disrespect of the Sabres locker room, and simultaneously transport them back to their high school days. Days they spent cowering in fear of the athletes, constantly looking over their shoulder anticipating the next wedgie or dumptruck. They remained dateless throughout high school, due in no small part to their refusal to shower after gym class - they couldn't stand the thought of being naked in front of other guys - probably because they were afraid they would get a chubby.

Seriously - Sully's article and Schopp's stupidity reveal their nerd roots and high school jealousy. Every college, high school and pro team that has a logo on the floor in their locker room has the same tradition - no one walks across it - NO ONE! Odds are Sully did it intentionally to see what the reaction would be. Good for them that they cussed him out. The fact that Goose led the tirade says something about who is a leader in the room. Precious logo, Sully? Really? Guess the chess club didn't have a logo in the locker room. You obviously like sports - you pursued a profession covering them - but at your core you are a failed athlete - not good enough to do more than ride the pines - some jock probably stole your girlfriend, popped her cherry, and sent her crying back to you. Your jealousy shines through in every article you write.

Schopp is in the same boat - protecting his buddy sully - they are so much smarter than the players and management they cover. Jealous fan boys are what they are

:clapping:

LOL.......... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived