Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

When Mike Schopp get's "condescending" it is usually well deserved.

There is nothing wrong with him saying "I don't know." Maybe listeners should admit the same before they call it would save everyone from having to listen to those horrendous calls. When he buries those callers it is greatly deserved.

"its so much easier for a rookie Dman to make it in the NHL than a rookie forward" - Would you care to elaborate on the entire conversation? It what way does he consider it "easier?" Was he referring to all Rookie Dman or those of the level of Tyler Myers?

I cant recall precisely but i believe he was talking about Myers and his struggles. He considered it easier as in an easier position to play and to adjust to at the NHL level. Completely wrong on so many levels. Thats what was so great about Myers rookie year, its very difficult for rookie dmen bc there's a bigger learning period etc.

I cant completely agree with you on saying "I dont know" when it seems half of his show is him bashing callers for the stupidity he sees in their comments, when he himself isn't really all that informed.

I used to listen to him more, but now only occassionally.

For me its in the same vein as Hamilton, theres really no basis for his opinion other than that watching as a fan and many of the things he says are very editorialized and not analysis. Hamilton is great at getting scoops (sorta) but really good at reading the players and coach to get a pulse on the team.

I cant recall precisely but i believe he was talking about Myers and his struggles. He considered it easier as in an easier position to play and to adjust to at the NHL level. Completely wrong on so many levels. Thats what was so great about Myers rookie year, its very difficult for rookie dmen bc there's a bigger learning period etc.

I cant completely agree with you on saying "I dont know" when it seems half of his show is him bashing callers for the stupidity he sees in their comments, when he himself isn't really all that informed.

I used to listen to him more, but now only occassionally.

For me its in the same vein as Hamilton, theres really no basis for his opinion other than that watching as a fan and many of the things he says are very editorialized and not analysis. Hamilton is great at getting scoops (sorta) but really good at reading the players and coach to get a pulse on the team.

I don't get what you are saying about Hamilton - are you pro or con?

I don't get what you are saying about Hamilton - are you pro or con?

Well, i meant what i said, I really disapprove of the smugness he exudes when discussing the teams play at times. I've never heard anyone say he has any hockey experience other than being an "expert" for WGR. I could be wrong there but they certainly hold him in high esteem for both bills and sabres coverage.

I do like his other stuff thats similar to reporting. He does a good job there and i like his locker room questions.

Well, i meant what i said, I really disapprove of the smugness he exudes when discussing the teams play at times. I've never heard anyone say he has any hockey experience other than being an "expert" for WGR. I could be wrong there but they certainly hold him in high esteem for both bills and sabres coverage.

I do like his other stuff thats similar to reporting. He does a good job there and i like his locker room questions.

This is what you said, so can you see where I'm confused:

Hamilton is great at getting scoops (sorta) but really good at reading the players and coach to get a pulse on the team.

Sounds to me like you like him in both respects, but I was getting a negative tone and it made no sense.

As for his hockey experience, I do know he was a Div. I player at Iowa State and was supposedly the last cut from the Miracle on Ice team.

Hamilton is great at getting scoops (sorta) but really good at reading the players and coach to get a pulse on the team.

Sounds to me like you like him in both respects, but I was getting a negative tone and it made no sense.

As for his hockey experience, I do know he was a Div. I player at Iowa State and was supposedly the last cut from the Miracle on Ice team.

Iowa State has a club team, not a D-I team or even a D-III team. He definitely was not the last cut from the Miracle on Ice team.

I hate to say this on a day we're in Pittsburgh, but "I'LL BE COW KICKED!"

I never knew this about Paul.

And he was inducted into the Iowa State Hockey Hall of Fame last fall. Played 1976-1980.

http://www.cyclonehockey.com/alumni.htm

:w00t: :sick:

I never heard Hamilton say it. I heard Brad and Jeremy talking about it years ago. I would bet he at least had a run at it.

Are you sure they weren't joking around?

Looks like Iowa State is in the Division I of the A.C.H.A.

Yes. They also have a team in Division III of that organization, which governs club-level hockey. UB also has a team in Division I of the ACHA. But "Division I" typically means NCAA Division I, with teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canisius, Niagara...shrader, am I leaving any out? Very many of the big-name "sports schools" that we're familiar with do not have D-I hockey teams. Some of those schools have club teams, whether in the ACHA or another organization. Oklahoma, for example, like I-State, has Big 12 Division I football, but only has a club level hockey team (in the ACHA).

I never heard Hamilton say it. I heard Brad and Jeremy talking about it years ago. I would bet he at least had a run at it.

A run at what? The olympic squad? As someone else suggested, there must have been a lot of laughter accompanying that discussion.

Don't get me wrong, club hockey isn't bad hockey, but even back in the late 70's Div. I Hockey was heads and shoulders and elbows and knees better than club.

That team was full of players from nothing but the powerhouse DI schools of that period. It looks like a vast majority actually had a national championship under their belt. A club level hockey player wasn't going to come anywhere near that roster.

I googled it and I'm not the only one who heard this......This was on twobillsdrive from some poster back in '05:

Hamilton should be given a little slack. The man knows hockey (played at Iowa State, I believe, and skated in camp with the 1980 US Olympic team). Moreover, he's not a bombthrower or reactionary type and doesn't adhere to the Coach's m.o. of setting a team up to fail. While I agree that GR is generally a joke, I feel compelled to say that Hamilton is more likely than not merely expressing his opinion.

I guess its hard to articulate. Iowa is not Div I like BC or UNH. Its club. I'm sure there are many on this board with more playing experience and knowledge, who would be able to analyze things without the attitude.

The is just put on such a pedestal on WGR like he's got all this hockey knowledge and then his tone is very condescending. He went off on Golisano yesterday like it was a personal vendetta, not in a reasoned analytical way.

I just take him for what he's worth. By all accounts he's a good dude in person.

I googled it and I'm not the only one who heard this......This was on twobillsdrive from some poster back in '05:

Hamilton should be given a little slack. The man knows hockey (played at Iowa State, I believe, and skated in camp with the 1980 US Olympic team). Moreover, he's not a bombthrower or reactionary type and doesn't adhere to the Coach's m.o. of setting a team up to fail. While I agree that GR is generally a joke, I feel compelled to say that Hamilton is more likely than not merely expressing his opinion.

2 things: First - TBD is not a resource for accurate information. Quite the opposite - if it is said over there, you should instantly doubt its veracity. Second - what did you find on google that led you to believe he was the last cut from the 1980 Olympic team? I see nothing of the sort.

2 things: First - TBD is not a resource for accurate information. Quite the opposite - if it is said over there, you should instantly doubt its veracity. Second - what did you find on google that led you to believe he was the last cut from the 1980 Olympic team? I see nothing of the sort.

I didn't. Where'd I say I did.

Here:

Maybe my full quote might help you:

How can you possibly read the first part of my quote and not the rest?

You definitely qualified it with "supposedly." I think both you and whoever posted whatever on TBD had listened to Brad and Jeremy putting Paul on a little bit. It's no big deal. It's also no big deal to get ACHA D-I and "real" D-I confused. Happens.

But there's just no WAY that Paul had a shot for that 1980 USA team!

FWIW, I like Paul; I agree that he can get a little smug sometimes, but I like his reporting on what's going on w the team.

Archived