Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

He might be knowledgeable, but he definitely doesn't like sports as much as he did either when he was growing up or when he got into his business. I heard him say within the last month when complaining about the topic they landed on and said that when this gig is up, he's "running as far away from sports as possible.".......I think I'd be sick of it if I had to talk about the same Bills and Sabres stuff over and over all the time, and then repeating it thoughout the day, and then getting all the callers opinions on it.....I rarely listen for the sports, unless it's a big sports day. Otherwise, I love when they do Ten Opinions and things like that........I listen to Brad Riter actually much more now than S&B.

Having to watch the recent versions of the Bills and Sabres makes me like sports less than I once did.

Listening to Mike today on the post game he is on his A-Game as they say. He is right on point.

Listen tough guy, re-read the post and show me where I said why I dislike him. Exactly. A bit premature to jump down my throat considering I said nothing about his "honest opinions". My main gripe with him is his hopping on and off when either the Bills or Sabres go from good to bad, or bad to good. While not as contrasting as it once was, I vividly remember him during the Losman era calling for his (JP's) head after a bad game, and calling him "the next franchise quarterback" after a positive performance the next week. It was actually his unwillingness to own up to previous praise or distaste when things shifted (as they often do in Buffalo) that formed my opinion on him. But thanks for assuming and attacking for no reason.

Thanks for justifying my original post with this post. :thumbsup:

"Tough Guy?" Really? :lol:

[/b]

I'm not sure about this final point. I think he is very serious about sports. He is very knowledgeable about sports and you don't get there without being serious about sports. The morning show could an infusion of his knowledge. The morning show has not been this bad since Bauerle and The Bulldog.

Also,

I thought Mike was a Leafs fan growing up?

I guess I didn't phrase it right. He is very serious about his job and loves sports and competition. What I meant is that it isn't his life and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

And yes, for teh record, he grew up a Leafs and Seahawks fan.

I guess I didn't phrase it right. He is very serious about his job and loves sports and competition. What I meant is that it isn't his life and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

And yes, for teh record, he grew up a Leafs and Seahawks fan.

How in the world is he a Seahawks fan? Did he used to keep his football cards in alphabetical order and when he took inventory before he went to bed every night, Jim Zorn would be the last person he saw?

Not exactly sure where this thread is heading anymore, and frankly i don't care, but, just wanted to say that is a sick avatar. Did you make that?

No, that is former Sabre goalie Gary Bromley's mask. I came across it a few weeks ago during the name that former Sabre thread festivities. You can buy a replica if you like for a mere $400, here

How in the world is he a Seahawks fan? Did he used to keep his football cards in alphabetical order and when he took inventory before he went to bed every night, Jim Zorn would be the last person he saw?

The Seahawks were by second-favorite team when I was a kid. Loved Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. Then they had some decent teams in the late 80's with Dave Craig. They had some good AFC West rivalries, but I completely lost interest in them when they went to the NFC.

I love how one of them has been "out sick" about a day a week for the past year+.

I guess GR has been handing out the furloughs.

Now, I turned it on today, and Schopp is out for a week. This time I didn't hear Bulldog give a reason. Usually, it's out sick, like you said, or vacation.

And, I'm probably the only one, but I do it like it a lot better when they are together.

Now, I turned it on today, and Schopp is out for a week. This time I didn't hear Bulldog give a reason. Usually, it's out sick, like you said, or vacation.

And, I'm probably the only one, but I do it like it a lot better when they are together.

It was funny.....a few days after we started this conversation, Schopp was out and Bulldog qualified it by saying, "Mike is out sick today......he has no voice so you can't very well do a show with no voice."

His show got me triggered today. I want all the clowns out of that arena as soon as possible.

It was funny.....a few days after we started this conversation, Schopp was out and Bulldog qualified it by saying, "Mike is out sick today......he has no voice so you can't very well do a show with no voice."

His show got me triggered today. I want all the clowns out of that arena as soon as possible.

Actually, unless it was a setup, I think they were telling the truth on the voice day, because Schopp's voice was not doing good the day before.

I agree - the talk today did make me anxious to get Pegula in and the current regime in.

Mike Schopp is too logical for most fans.

you can't piss on Schopp and tell him it's raining. That is why so many people cannot stand him. He just won't buy into a garbage product.

Is he a bit over the top sometimes? YES. I think he's becoming bitter from talking about the Bills and Sabres every day for years, especially the Bills.

Even as a fan, it is REALLY HARD to listen to the delusional Bills fans talking about how Fitz is "really good" and garbage like that when it has no basis in reality whatsoever. Eventually, you would snap too.

I almost wonder if they make the on-air hots on WGR "play" certain characters. Consider:

Schopp: overly-analytical, anti-kool aid, unwelcome dose of reality guy..

Bulldog: the everyman... a fan with a radio gig...

Jeremy White: whatever you say, I say the opposite. Snarky, obnoxious, and the voice of the delusional fan

Howard Simon: the dishwasher salesman. Total mush. A guy way past his prime just filling time

Jerry Sullivan is the "outsider" who (like it or not) brings the coldly analytical perspective to the discussion. You think Fitz is amazing/wonderful? Well his offense was 28th in scoring, just like last year's offense. Just plain facts, which is why people HATE HIM. They WANT to buy into the delusion, and people like him and Schopp get in the way of that.

That's why there's Jeremy White! "Yeah, yeah, well Fitz is amazing. Holy cow Jerry, he's REALLY GOOD!"

Sports radio is a circus, and in Buffalo it has to be REALLY HARD. What can you say about the Bills? They haven't even been RELEVANT in a decade.

schopp isnt too logical for most fans.

The other day he said hockey is so much harder to learn for forwards than young defensemen......... what??

I mean this isnt some secret to the game of hockey. Yea there are tons of bad callers but if schopp didnt have this gig he would be one of them.

Bulldog is just an average joe on the radio,he's exactly the same in person, in a good way.

Mike Schopp is too logical for most fans.

you can't piss on Schopp and tell him it's raining. That is why so many people cannot stand him. He just won't buy into a garbage product.

Is he a bit over the top sometimes? YES. I think he's becoming bitter from talking about the Bills and Sabres every day for years, especially the Bills.

Even as a fan, it is REALLY HARD to listen to the delusional Bills fans talking about how Fitz is "really good" and garbage like that when it has no basis in reality whatsoever. Eventually, you would snap too.

I almost wonder if they make the on-air hots on WGR "play" certain characters. Consider:

Schopp: overly-analytical, anti-kool aid, unwelcome dose of reality guy..

Bulldog: the everyman... a fan with a radio gig...

Jeremy White: whatever you say, I say the opposite. Snarky, obnoxious, and the voice of the delusional fan

Howard Simon: the dishwasher salesman. Total mush. A guy way past his prime just filling time

Jerry Sullivan is the "outsider" who (like it or not) brings the coldly analytical perspective to the discussion. You think Fitz is amazing/wonderful? Well his offense was 28th in scoring, just like last year's offense. Just plain facts, which is why people HATE HIM. They WANT to buy into the delusion, and people like him and Schopp get in the way of that.

That's why there's Jeremy White! "Yeah, yeah, well Fitz is amazing. Holy cow Jerry, he's REALLY GOOD!"

Sports radio is a circus, and in Buffalo it has to be REALLY HARD. What can you say about the Bills? They haven't even been RELEVANT in a decade.

fitz had 23 tds 15 ints, and if it wasnt for lots of costly mistakes and the exact right time the bills would have been a playoff team. the bills were relevant in 2004 with drew bledsoe and they were relevant this past year. you dont have to have an awesome record to be relevant. you should have seen all the players from opposing teams giving the bills props. they are relevant for the first time in a while, last year meant something, and they are gonna build off that.

fitz had 23 tds 15 ints, and if it wasnt for lots of costly mistakes and the exact right time the bills would have been a playoff team. the bills were relevant in 2004 with drew bledsoe and they were relevant this past year. you dont have to have an awesome record to be relevant. you should have seen all the players from opposing teams giving the bills props. they are relevant for the first time in a while, last year meant something, and they are gonna build off that.

Sorry, but can't resist...

This comes from someone who calls them-self "the toilet is here"??

At-best, Fitzpatrick is a stop-gap. He is not the answer (see Bledsoe, Losman, Collins, Edwards, Johnson, etc...). All came in with much fanfare, and left with everyone looking for the next guy who was either a journeyman, or project, to take over. Fitzpatrick has an upside, admittedly. He's the next "guy" (since the franchise won't go get someone with top-notch skills).

Add / Edit: And thanks everyone for filling me in on Mike Schoop, and the WNY sports media scene. Maybe one day Mr. Schoop will take over for the mess on the national air... The Cow-herding fool who steals his stories... Cowherd Early Link

Archived