Who is Mike Schopp?

BeachedNLA

Ok, so the other day I listened to a Sabres game (another disappointing loss) on GR55.com internet radio, and then decided to listen to the post-game show, to get a feel on how Sabres fans were feeling / reacting to team's fortunes.

What I got was this "blow-hard" (my term) who obviously liked to hear himself talk, and who seemed to spout off on his own beliefs on why the Sabres were performing poorly (I heard "Miller not living up to last year", and other stuff that has been repeated in the past...).

His monologue was annoying at the least, and was wondering where he fits into the WNY sports media scene...

I read a Wikipedia page that says he's done some ESPN Radio, and I guess is now a radio sports shock-jock on GR55 (Now I also listened to Jim Rome eons ago, and disliked his calls on "puck" as he calls it, when he was a newbie on hockey, and still avoid that guy..., but others obviously listen to him, so not claiming to be an expert on the subject..., but I DO only listen to people who are going to give me useful information..., and this guy annoyed me...). Do people actually like this guy's commentary?

He's a radio mouth. Nothing more. I suppose if you agree with his opinions you like him just fine.

He's paid to run his mouth off and he has a natural talent to perform that task. He's no expert on anything sports related. Then again, most radio hosts aren't experts at anything other than being heard.

And I can't stand Jim Rome either. His only expertise is in being heard too.

Mike Schopp and the Bulldog (Chris) do a lot of local sports (Bills, Sabres, etc.) on WGR550. They range from entertaining to annoying. They definitely have their opinions, as most radio show hosts do, and are sometimes obnoxious about how they express it. However, they are generally harmless and worth listening to, as they discuss the teams that we are interested in. Could be better, but I do listen to them often, so they can't be too bad.

Mike Schopp and the Bulldog (Chris) do a lot of local sports (Bills, Sabres, etc.) on WGR550. They range from entertaining to annoying. They definitely have their opinions, as most radio show hosts do, and are sometimes obnoxious about how they express it. However, they are generally harmless and worth listening to, as they discuss the teams that we are interested in. Could be better, but I do listen to them often, so they can't be too bad.

I find Bulldog entertaining and he has a humble, average-joe kind of sensibility about him. Schopp comes off with much more arrogance to his opinions. And he has no patience for listeners that disagree with him. If it weren't for Bulldog balancing out the show I don't think I could stomach listening to them.

I find Bulldog entertaining and he has a humble, average-joe kind of sensibility about him. Schopp comes off with much more arrogance to his opinions. And he has no patience for listeners that disagree with him. If it weren't for Bulldog balancing out the show I don't think I could stomach listening to them.

Thanks. Yea... That guy sounds like who I heard. They used to have that Hamilton guy on there, and some times he was annoying (but down-to-earth), but he let the fans have their say. That's why I tune in to those types of things.

I feel sorry for him and bull dog. They seem to have wandered into this occupation as youths and while successful at it seem board and uninterested. I get the feeling they both wished they were just regular fans instead of people who need to produce opinions and discussion topics. Schopp admits he doesn't really like football and while I like listening to them while driving Schopp can be a real jerk at times. He has very little patience for the morons that call his show and I guess I can't blame him sometimes

Actually he has no patience for those that can not articulate their opinion or those who really have no opinion. He is by far the #1 Buffalo sports talk show host. It is a limited field. The morning show is a complete joke and the national guys are just a cheap filler until the afternoon drive time.

I love how one of them has been "out sick" about a day a week for the past year+.

I guess GR has been handing out the furloughs.

Poor Schoop was a jumpstart with tons of talent when he started. It looked like he could have been picked up somewhere, but then like so much that is Buffalo...has pretty much been on automatic pilot knowing there isn't much opportunity. He's a thoughtful guy who probably does up his annoying side to hook listeners.

Something changed at GR late last year. the Sabres must have dumped some financial support or something, because they started to get critical of the team. Paul Hamilton sounds like he'd roast the whole organization over the coals nowadays where he would tend to support them in the past.

I almost started to call the Whiner line a while ago so I could roast Lindy Ruff. I would have verbaly Al Quaida'd that event.

Actually he has no patience for those that can not articulate their opinion or those who really have no opinion. He is by far the #1 Buffalo sports talk show host. It is a limited field. The morning show is a complete joke and the national guys are just a cheap filler until the afternoon drive time.

Yeah, that too.

Buffalo sports radio is bad but at least we have sports radio. Just down the Thruway they have to borrow our radio broadcasts.

Yeah, that too.

Buffalo sports radio is bad but at least we have sports radio. Just down the Thruway they have to borrow our radio broadcasts.

Somebody needs to get to Pegula and restart the Empire Sports Trinity Network. It can be local sports mixed with Christian broadcasting. Bills pre-game show from 10-1, with prayer breaks on the 20's. Something tells me Jimmy Brinson can do a heck of a Jim Baker impression.

Yes!! I wish that was still around

The payroll was crazy.

Paul Maguire, Vic Carucci, Jim Kelley, Mike Robitaille, Danny Gare, Larry Felser, Art Wander, Howard Simon, Jim Brinson, Mike Schopp, Bob Trimble, Ginger Geoffrey, Bob Koshinski, Brian Blessing, Josh Mora, Zig, Pete Weber, Mike Degeorge.....

No wonder Adelphia went down in flames!

Jeremy and Paul Hamilton are 10x better than Schopp and the Bulldog. The only reason I even listen to those 2 clowns is when they have Jerry Sullivan on because he's insane and I love it.

But sorry we hurt your feelings, Mike.

Local Radio Personalities Who Are Better Than Schopp

Nick Mendola

Brad Riter

Howard Simon

Paul Hamilton

Jeremy White

Joe Buscaglia

Jeremy Noeson

Janet Snyder

John Lamon (The dude from WYRK)

The static you here between AM stations

The Lady from the church station

The Ghost of Chuck Dickerson

Snuffy

Al

Leo

Little Moe with the Gimpy Leg

Cheeks

Boney Bob

Cliff

Brian Kozial

I feel sorry for him and bull dog. They seem to have wandered into this occupation as youths and while successful at it seem board and uninterested. I get the feeling they both wished they were just regular fans instead of people who need to produce opinions and discussion topics. Schopp admits he doesn't really like football and while I like listening to them while driving Schopp can be a real jerk at times. He has very little patience for the morons that call his show and I guess I can't blame him sometimes

Schopp styles himself as a non-fan, and is actually an expert on sports that aren't WNY's priority (golf and tennis). He is really, really snobby with fan calls, but this can be funny after Bills games. Bulldog is a lunchbucket guy who lucked into a job, and I hope he keeps it. He's a nice fellow.

The morning show is geared towards entertainment, as it should be. (Is 97Rock's morning show geared towards serious classic rock?) These are guys who are supposed to make me smirk, or even laugh, when I'm in the shower or on my morning drive, contemplating a rough day of (1) actual business and (2) reading your posts about how badly the Sabres need Kovy. Are they goofy? Yep. But that's the job.

As for the "filler," Cowherd is a near idiot who repeats and/or embarrasses himself constantly. Rome is a sports comedian, and at that, he does well.

Schopp styles himself as a non-fan, and is actually an expert on sports that aren't WNY's priority (golf and tennis). He is really, really snobby with fan calls, but this can be funny after Bills games. Bulldog is a lunchbucket guy who lucked into a job, and I hope he keeps it. He's a nice fellow.

The morning show is geared towards entertainment, as it should be. (Is 97Rock's morning show geared towards serious classic rock?) These are guys who are supposed to make me smirk, or even laugh, when I'm in the shower or on my morning drive, contemplating a rough day of (1) actual business and (2) reading your posts about how badly the Sabres need Kovy. Are they goofy? Yep. But that's the job.

As for the "filler," Cowherd is a near idiot who repeats and/or embarrasses himself constantly. Rome is a sports comedian, and at that, he does well.

The morning show is difficult to listen to. They should have kept Mendola and let Simon and White go. Even a combination of Brian Kozial and Joe Buscalia as a morning team would nice. Two guys that actually know sports. That other kid they let go, Andrew Phillaponi(sp?), was really good and knew sports.

I think the problem with Mike Schoop is that local sports are so uninteresting and irrelevant while the real quality stories to talk about won't gain any reaction from fans because it's not Sabres/Bills related.

As far as Jeremy White? He is constantly talking over guests. Today he was trying to walk over Robi but Robi stayed right on point and ignored him. He does it all the time to Sullivan. To a point I will wait to listen to Sullivan with the afternoon guys so he can get his opinions out.

The morning show is difficult to listen to. They should have kept Mendola and let Simon and White go. Even a combination of Brian Kozial and Joe Buscalia as a morning team would nice. Two guys that actually know sports. That other kid they let go, Andrew Phillaponi(sp?), was really good and knew sports.

I think the problem with Mike Schoop is that local sports are so uninteresting and irrelevant while the real quality stories to talk about won't gain any reaction from fans because it's not Sabres/Bills related.

As far as Jeremy White? He is constantly talking over guests. Today he was trying to walk over Robi but Robi stayed right on point and ignored him. He does it all the time to Sullivan. To a point I will wait to listen to Sullivan with the afternoon guys so he can get his opinions out.

This just reeks of "get off my lawn."

FWIW, Mendola left on his own, as far as I know. Nice kid, but he's on the arrogant side, too. (Nick, I know you read this board and very occasionally post; please take this as constructive criticism.)

I think I understand where you're coming from with Schopp.

And I freaking love it when White argues with Sullivan. He just exposes Sully every time. What a job Sully has! To be a sports columnist--few facts are needed, it's all opinion and misery, and it's all about something that doesn't matter in the real world. I haven't heard White go at it with Roby, but I trust you that it happens. That's unfortunate, and maybe White (who is on the young side) could learn to not do that. I love White's morning diversions, though; that's the stuff that makes me not take life too seriously in the mornings.

I am definitely old. I can remember way back to the time where the Sabres actually made the playoffs in back to back years. I can even remember back when the Bills actually made the playoffs.

2006-07 and 1999 are not that far gone.

Archived