GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Holy crap, Kaleta kicking ass was just incredible! We need a GIF or video of that, for sure.

Only got to watch highlights on NHLN, just got home, but good to see we scored some goals.

Hopefully all those lefts match up the phil collins - in the air tonight drum solo

Haven't read this thread yet so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it....

Has anyone else noticed that whenever the Sabres have a good rough and rowdy game they generally do well on the scoreboard too?

This team needs to play with an edge. It seems like if Monty, Cody, and Kaleta are doing their thing that the rest of the team responds.

On a side note to all this hockey talk, those Columbus third jerseys are pretty ###### sweet.

They are similar to the Wild jerseys. Much better than the softball team logo crap thirds the Sabres have.

Tonight's game is a true blueprint for success. Play tough physical hockey. I watched the game online because I prefer listening to the opponents announcers. You get a more accurate and honest opinion that way. They nailed it. The Sabres put up a wall at their own blue-line. They tried to challenge each entry into the zone. It became apparent early that the Blue-Jackets did not want to pay the entry fee into the Sabres zone. It was a focus that the Sabres haven't had for years. Many years.

The questions become: Is this a result of having so much time off? Is the result of a rumor of new ownership a motivation? Or, is it possible that this team is capable of playing that style of hockey that combined with a quality goaltender can make them a contender? The goal right now is to carry this effort into tomorrow night.

Holy crap, Kaleta kicking ass was just incredible! We need a GIF or video of that, for sure.

Only got to watch highlights on NHLN, just got home, but good to see we scored some goals.

Effin sweet. So glad I got to watch the last half of this one.

The questions become: Is this a result of having so much time off? Is the result of a rumor of new ownership a motivation? Or, is it possible that this team is capable of playing that style of hockey that combined with a quality goaltender can make them a contender? The goal right now is to carry this effort into tomorrow night.

If they were waiting until now to show that they can be a contender they may have waited too long.

Man, this was a good old fashioned whoopin that the Sabres put on the Blue Jackets tonight. Both physically and on the scoreboard. A shutout, three power play goals, perfect on the penalty kill, and they absolutely stood up to the Jackets and fought tonight. McCormick with the win on Commodore. Kaleta absolutely destroying Dorsett. This is exactly how the Sabres need to play every night. Great to see Stafford with a big game with a goal and an assist. Pominville getting in on the action. Ennis with a big game with a goal and two assists and Vanek getting in on one as well. Hecht scoring that big goal in the first. This was the perfect game that the Sabres played tonight. They dominated play, let less than 20 shots on goal, won the physical battles, and they dominated on special teams. Tonight was the perfect game. They have to continue to play like this.

I hope they don't let up tomorrow night. I want to see the same thing tomorrow night against the arch nemesis. I want to see McCormick, Weber, Kaleta, and Gaustad go after Neil and Ruutu. They need to play physical and go after Ottawa tomorrow night just like they played tonight. When the Sabres play with an edge, they are really into the game.

They are similar to the Wild jerseys. Much better than the softball team logo crap thirds the Sabres have.

Tonight's game is a true blueprint for success. Play tough physical hockey. I watched the game online because I prefer listening to the opponents announcers. You get a more accurate and honest opinion that way. They nailed it. The Sabres put up a wall at their own blue-line. They tried to challenge each entry into the zone. It became apparent early that the Blue-Jackets did not want to pay the entry fee into the Sabres zone. It was a focus that the Sabres haven't had for years. Many years.

I believe it's all this. But I also believe that the new line combinations played a huge roll. Gerbe is just better on the first line than Ennis. But conversely, Ennis will thrive more on the third line than Gerbe (think the RAV line in '05-'07). And as much as we all slam Stafford, He's better than who filled in for him.

I watched the game online because I prefer listening to the opponents announcers. You get a more accurate and honest opinion that way. They nailed it.

All the team announcers are homers (Buffalo included). The 'other' team's just happen to hate the Sabres like you do. :)

All the team announcers are homers (Buffalo included). The 'other' team's just happen to hate the Sabres like you do. :)

Not to be third man in here, but I'm pretty sure that Deluca wants the Sabres to win as much or more than any other person on this board.

Hey Eleven -- when Kaleta won that fight, it was LOUD in there.

I am not one to enjoy fights, but that one had me in stitches. For some reason it reminded me of that ESPN commercial years ago where Ray is just wailing on someone in the ESPN office.

Not to be third man in here, but I'm pretty sure that Deluca wants the Sabres to win as much or more than any other person on this board.

You jumped in too early. I was just winding up.

The best evaluation of any team is by those watching from the outside. The Columbus announcers were very impressed by the physical style the Sabres played. They also had a more honest opinion of their own team. You would never hear Rick & Harry say anything negative about the Sabres. The Columbus announcers flat out said that the Sabres presence at the blue line deterred the Jackets from wanting to enter the zone. I would love to get that type of honesty from the Rick & Harry.

Haven't read this thread yet so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it....

Has anyone else noticed that whenever the Sabres have a good rough and rowdy game they generally do well on the scoreboard too?

This team needs to play with an edge. It seems like if Monty, Cody, and Kaleta are doing their thing that the rest of the team responds.

Good point.

Tonight's game is a true blueprint for success. Play tough physical hockey.

The Sabres put up a wall at their own blue-line. They tried to challenge each entry into the zone. It became apparent early that the Blue-Jackets did not want to pay the entry fee into the Sabres zone. It was a focus that the Sabres haven't had for years. Many years. The questions become: Is this a result of having so much time off? Is the result of a rumor of new ownership a motivation? Or, is it possible that this team is capable of playing that style of hockey that combined with a quality goaltender can make them a contender? The goal right now is to carry this effort into tomorrow night.

Definitely one of the best games they have played this year problem is I do not think this team is built to play that way night in and night out.

My fear is McCormick broke a finger or hand in his fight and Stafford while looking good tonight could have rehurt his shoulder again and we all know kaleta is one bad shot away from traction. Waiting to see the lineup card for tomorrow to know really how we came out of it tonight.

I would not expect them to be able to maintain that same tempo tomorrow on the back to back on the road. I do love the way they played tonight. I also sometimes listen to other games announcers and against the Pens they said it is League opinion Bflo will wilt under pressure which is what CBL tried to do. They surprised them but it will take more than one or two games of that type of physical response coupled with an effective PP to get the rest of the league to really back off that general opinion and tactic against Bflo.

I believe it's all this. But I also believe that the new line combinations played a huge roll. Gerbe is just better on the first line than Ennis. But conversely, Ennis will thrive more on the third line than Gerbe (think the RAV line in '05-'07). And as much as we all slam Stafford, He's better than who filled in for him.

Good post and observation. The lines generally all looked good tonight and generated a lot of good chances and had decent flow although I still do not know about Grier. He just may also be in the Rivet category and past his best days.

Good point.

Definitely one of the best games they have played this year problem is I do not think this team is built to play that way night in and night out.

My fear is McCormick broke a finger or hand in his fight and Stafford while looking good tonight could have rehurt his shoulder again and we all know kaleta is one bad shot away from traction. Waiting to see the lineup card for tomorrow to know really how we came out of it tonight.

I would not expect them to be able to maintain that same tempo tomorrow on the back to back on the road. I do love the way they played tonight. I also sometimes listen to other games announcers and against the Pens they said it is League opinion Bflo will wilt under pressure which is what CBL tried to do. They surprised them but it will take more than one or two games of that type of physical response coupled with an effective PP to get the rest of the league to really back off that general opinion and tactic against Bflo.

Good post and observation. The lines generally all looked good tonight and generated a lot of good chances and had decent flow although I still do not know about Grier. He just may also be in the Rivet category and past his best days.

I agree about Grier, although, even though he hasn't always cashed in on his chances, at least he's had chances. And I can't think of a single time where he has hurt the team this season (I'm sure it's happened, but I really can't think of one) and there's some value in that.

Hey Eleven -- when Kaleta won that fight, it was LOUD in there.

I am not one to enjoy fights, but that one had me in stitches. For some reason it reminded me of that ESPN commercial years ago where Ray is just wailing on someone in the ESPN office.

I was at the game tonight and even though it was cold in there, it was loud. Getting the first goal helped a lot, getting the second one with Pommers getting off the you know what was great and the fights had everyone out of their seats. It was a concerted team effort, but after five full days off and lots of practice time with the bad taste of the Montreal game still in their mouths, I would have expected nothing less. Really liked the Kaleta gesture after winning the fight - right up there with Ray's coup de grace.

Ottawa game tomorrow will be real interesting to see how they come out after tonight - let down or follow through?

I think I counted like 20 left punches.

NHLN didn't show Dorsett coming at Vanek by the benches. Love that Kaleta came to his defense...awesome!

....that makes two incidents in the last week where my boys beat the living ###### out of some punk trying to start something. First being Andre Johnson v. Cortland Finnegan.

Archived