GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I don't know if the situation is quite that dire yet. Obviously prediction is always guess work so I could be WAY off the mark on all this, but here's how I see it...

We're chasing a number. Last year, 88 points was good enough to make the playoffs in the East. That's a pretty low total, but I don't think that the Eastern Conference has really improved as a whole relative to the West, so I'm going to say 90 points is good enough for 8th place this season. Current point totals reflect this prediction pretty well, with Atlanta sitting in 8th with 29 points.

Based on expected values, I'd say that 5 more OT losses for the remainder of the season is a conservative estimate. Using this, 31 more wins will net us 90 points. That's a 31-25 record. Pretty doable in my opinion.

In your scenario (winning 36-37 games), we'd finish with a minimum of 97 points and probably over 100 given OT losses. That would put us right in the thick of the division race.

But Atlanta has 31 points after 27 games. That projects to 93-94 points for the season -- and that's just to tie for 8th.

• 8 months later...

Archived