GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Way too much optimism flowing in this thread.

Bottom line is that the team didn't show up at the start of the game, and it affected the final outcome: a regulation loss.

Same will be said about the season. Team fails to show up in the first quarter of the season (only 3 regulation wins in 20 tries, with the last regulation win almost a full month ago), and it will likely affect the final outcome: no playoffs.

Bottom line is that the team didn't show up at the start of the game, and it affected the final outcome: a regulation loss.

Same will be said about the season. Team fails to show up in the first quarter of the season (only 3 regulation wins in 20 tries, with the last regulation win almost a full month ago), and it will likely affect the final outcome: no playoffs.

They had a helluva streak like that in January-February last season.

That second goal was kicked in. It should have been reviewed. Not saying it would have come off the board but they should have at least looked at it.

I thought the same thing, Swampy. I don't think it was reviewed at all. Maybe not a 'kicking' motion, but definitely directed into the net with his skate.

I thought the same thing, Swampy. I don't think it was reviewed at all. Maybe not a 'kicking' motion, but definitely directed into the net with his skate.

PA said that every goal is reviewed, but I don't think that's true. I thought it was by the request of the head ref. Either way, the Sabres deserved to get scored on with the way they were playing. Once they decided to play, Washington didn't score again, granted, they didn't have to, but I think they were still trying.

i didn't think they play that awful in first as it was more Washington taking it to the Sabres and going down 2 men took some wind out of their sails - you do have to take something from a roadie against one of best teams in league.

PA said that every goal is reviewed, but I don't think that's true. I thought it was by the request of the head ref. Either way, the Sabres deserved to get scored on with the way they were playing. Once they decided to play, Washington didn't score again, granted, they didn't have to, but I think they were still trying.

Every goal is reviewed in the booth. If the Video Judge sees something he can have the referees notified.

No, the team does not suck!.It will make the playoffs, but it does have major defensive problems and they are not going to grow out of it. I laughed when i heard that come out of the announcers mouth. It is one playmaker (80-100 pt guy who can also play the point on the power play) short of having two lines of offense. God forbid an opposing team ahould have to think about matching up their defensive pairs against a two line team. We all know that Darcy will not address these two critical flaws. Roy and Vanek do not belong on the same line.

Every goal is reviewed in the booth. If the Video Judge sees something he can have the referees notified.

Yep. At least that's how the NHL says it's supposed to work:

39.2 Goals – Every goal is to be reviewed by the Video Goal Judge.

Upon making contact with the off-ice official at ice level, the Video

Goal Judge should say initially that he is “looking at the play”. If there

is a need to delay the resumption of the play, the off-ice official at ice

level should signal one of the Referees to delay the center ice face-off

for a moment. Once the Video Goal Judge has reviewed the video

and confirmed that the goal is valid, he should say that “it is a good

goal”. The off-ice official will then signal to the Referee to resume play.

If there is a need to expand the review, the Video Goal Judge will

advise the off-ice official at ice level and the Public Address

Announcer that the “play is under review”. Once the play has been

reviewed and deemed a goal, the goal will be announced in the

normal manner. If the review reveals that the goal must be disallowed,

the Public Address Announcer shall announce the reason for the

disallowed goal as reported by the Referee.

When the Video Goal Judge observes an incident involving a

potential goal that was undetected by the on-ice officials he will

contact the Referee at the first stoppage of play and inform him that a

review of the play is in progress.

When a review is requested by either the Referee or Video Goal

Judge, the Public Address Announcer shall make the following

announcement: "The play is under review".

Can pominville do anything other than a slap shot? I can't recall a player so unwilling to do anything else. He's taken more 12 foot slappers than the rest of the league combined. Can't that be coached?

Hey pommers, ya know you can wrist the puck in those situations sometimes there hoser. /coach speak

Can pominville do anything other than a slap shot? I can't recall a player so unwilling to do anything else. He's taken more 12 foot slappers than the rest of the league combined. Can't that be coached?

Hey pommers, ya know you can wrist the puck in those situations sometimes there hoser. /coach speak

This is BRILLIANT hockey analysis. I'm being completely serious. I bet if he made that one change his scoring doubles.

Here's another one,

Hey Jochen, you've had four breakaways the last two games and done the same thing on each of them. Next time, force yourself to the front of the net and crash the ###### out of the goalie. You're a big guy. Stop skating past the net so that you don't even give yourself a chance at a rebound, you hoser. /coach speak

He can also shoot the puck above the net AND above the glass from 10 feet away on a cross-ice feed in the 3rd period instead of burying it and tying the game, which is what a $5.3MM forward is supposed to do.

Having said that (and plenty more about Pommer in the last couple of days), I thought his offensive game was improved and he created some chances last night (although his line was on for both of the Caps' non-PP goals). If he keeps it up, the goals will come. I didn't like much from TC or Hecht last night.

A few other game notes:

1. I also didn't like Morrisson-Butler last night. Butler looks like his mojo is gone again. His penalty (which was one of the penalties that created the 5-on-3) was dumb and unnecessary. (I thought the call on Myers was pretty borderline, but that's life.) Morrisson looks slow.

2. The #1, #3 and #4 lines continue to look pretty good and the #2 line continues to stink.

3. Bit of a step back for the top line, though -- I saw too many cute drop passes at the blue line in the first part of the game.

4. Miller was decent but not great.

5. Leopold again led in ice time.

On to Friday.

I watched the game but missed the board last night and now I have read everyone elses critique.

Here's mine.

I saw Bflo play a pretty good road game against the best team in NHL at least right now both record and play wise.

The officiating certainly can be called suspect with that 5-3 early by the fact they did not call it that close later in the game. If you are going to give the best offensive team in the league that marginal call to give them a 5-3 early then you have to call it late in the game when washington was mugging us on our PP.

Miller did not make a difference last night, I know, I know he made the breakaway save on OV last night but he was at least good for one sometimes two of those a game last year. 2 of the 3 goals they scored could be considered weak and I'll bet he knows he should have had at least stopped one of them and then we would have all had that OT game we craved.

The PP is generating better puck movement and chances but can this team be coached how to saucer pass and one time or wrist shoot it verse these windmill wind up slapshots that either get blocked or miss the net. Just get it in front with body's there boys good things can happen.

Game in game out Montador is just earning my man crush and Leopold also has been solid, Meyers shows some improvment but just doesn't have the same poise or touch control with the puck in tight this year. Not sure if thats growing or too much muscle to fast related but he needs to work on his puck handling decision making not nessarily in that order.

I agree with everyone else who say why is Connolly still out there and has he not tasted the bench and watch the game, Lindy you benched the captain for poor play how can you be such a friggan hypocrite and keep playing that useless piece of uniform. Bench him now, call up whoever's hottest in portland.

Team still hasn't convinced me until they can bury their chances like good teams do.

Curious to see if Lindy uses the loss as excuse to trot back out Rivet. If he does it will likely be at Butlers expense and excuse for the 1st penalty on the 5-3. Last, Mr Jack Adams honoree what are we going to do with the goalies in this weekends back to backs, do you really have the pulse of this team and can you make the timely/correct moves this year?

Pommer, like many other sabres, is a one trick pony. His entire offensive repertoire is the one timer. So no, he cannot wrist the puck.

Hecht is incapable of taking a shot at anything greater than a 20 degree angle from the goal mouth.

Last night was a classic game in the Ruff Era. You could almost put it in a time capsule.

Big expectations coming in, but the team is flat for the first period. Sound familiar?

Watch a puck leak through Ryan Miller.

Get behind 3-0 before you start playing. (And of course fans can point to a suspect call -- even a goal that should have been reviewed, but wasn't.)

Score two goals to get back in the game.

Make a big push at the end to tie the game -- and the goalie is Jacques Plante.

Hit a post in the late going. So tantalizing. Hello James Patrick!

Here's the coup de grace. Seven seconds left. Timeout, Buffalo. Lindy gets the white board out.

The twisted knife is all that's missing. Sabres win the faceoff, the other team grabs the puck and flicks it into the empty net -- splitting the uprights.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

Pommer, like many other sabres, is a one trick pony. His entire offensive repertoire is the one timer. So no, he cannot wrist the puck.

Not true. Ever watch Pommer in the shootout? He wrists it every time and is usually very good with it. In fact, he went 5 for 9 last year with very well placed wristers. He has the ability, but chooses not to do it in regulation.

Not true. Ever watch Pommer in the shootout? He wrists it every time and is usually very good with it. In fact, he went 5 for 9 last year with very well placed wristers. He has the ability, but chooses not to do it in regulation.

The shootout is not hockey, it's a skill competition. Pommer does not create offense by carrying the puck into shooting positions, he awaits the one timer. Where are all those effective wrist shots in regulation? One trick pony. As good as he was in shootiouts last year, he hasn't been involved in a shoot out yet this year has he?

The shootout is not hockey, it's a skill competition. Pommer does not create offense by carrying the puck into shooting positions, he awaits the one timer. Where are all those effective wrist shots in regulation? One trick pony. As good as he was in shootouts last year, he hasn't been involved in a shoot out yet this year has he?

My point is that he does have a good wrist shot. It's not that he's incapable, it's that he is unwilling to use it during the game. The latter could be changed, the former cannot.

He has been in both shootouts this year. One, he wristed a couple inches from the top right corner, while the other (I believe) the goalie got the pads together quick enough to stop his shot five hole.

The shootout is not hockey, it's a skill competition. Pommer does not create offense by carrying the puck into shooting positions, he awaits the one timer. Where are all those effective wrist shots in regulation? One trick pony. As good as he was in shootiouts last year, he hasn't been involved in a shoot out yet this year has he?

I'm not going to dispute that Pominville has been very bad this year. I'm sure the injury is at least part of the problem, but regardless it is an objective fact that he has been bad.

It's stunning to me that Connolly is continuingly ripped as the worst Sabre to ever touch the ice this year when his two line mates have been so bad.

That being said, you have a very selective memory if you can't recall Pominville excellent wrist shot. His only goal of the season came off a laser wrister against New Jersey. He's got a fanstastic release. He just doesn't use it as often as he should.

My point is that he does have a good wrist shot. It's not that he's incapable, it's that he is unwilling to use it during the game. The latter could be changed, the former cannot.

He has been in both shootouts this year. One, he wristed a couple inches from the top right corner, while the other (I believe) the goalie got the pads together quick enough to stop his shot five hole.

I'm not going to dispute that Pominville has been very bad this year. I'm sure the injury is at least part of the problem, but regardless it is an objective fact that he has been bad.

That being said, you have a very selective memory if you can't recall Pominville excellent wrist shot. His only goal of the season came off a laser wrister against New Jersey. He's got a fanstastic release. He just doesn't use it as often as he should.

<3

Going back to Swamp's comment about the second goal being kicked in...

I still haven't had a good look at it. But I remembered the Sedin goal in the playoffs last spring that was waived off despite the NHL's Mike Murphy saying afterwards that there "was not a distinct kicking motion."

Murphy explained that a few months before the playoffs, the NHL sent out what amounted to an addendum to the kicking rule, along with DVD examples. The new interpretration rested on the direction and speed of the puck before and after contact with the skate. Distinct kicking motion appeared to be kicked to the curb.

In Sedin's case, he had his right leg outstretched and a centering pass went off his skate, the toe of which appeared to twist slightly to the right with contact with the puck.

Anyway, I thought the new standard might apply to the goal last night, so I went, naturally, to the NHL rule book for 2010-2011. It is unchanged from last year. It still refers to "distinct kicking motion," defined as a "pendulum motion" of the leg.

It also still says, "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident."

Just a long winded way of saying the rule book does not match how this rule is actually being applied on the ice and upstairs/Toronto. Or did the league throw out the previous interpretation while trying to figure out a new one to release in February?