3-7-2: Somebody big is so getting traded

Meathead

Who Gets Traded?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. If a shakeup trade is made, who goes?

• Roy
    • Connolly
    • Vanek
    • Stafford
    • Pominville
    • Gaustad
    • Grier
    • Hecht
    • Niedermayer
    • Rivet
    • Leopold
    • Montador
    • Morrisonn
    • Sekera
    • Miller

im not your typical fan who repeatedly calls for players or coaches to get traded/canned. i am also in the huge minority in that i am generally fine with the way darcy manages the team, and i think this is a good group of players that have no real reason why they couldnt realistically contend for the division and a cup. i also think the calls for lindys head the last few seasons were waay premature

however, its getting painfully close now. darcy simply cant sit on his hands, not this time

this was supposed to be the season where the plan for the last half decade came together. everybody they targeted as part of their core is here. theyve got a roster full of maturity so the young excuse cant be used any longer. theyve got very capable fill-ins ready to go for injury situations. and youve got the leagues best goalie

its different this time. theres no logical reason to just hang on, theres no more rationale that its gonna get better on its own. something has to give and its either the coach or a big name player and im predicting the latter

lindy might end up going as well, but for now they will try a blockbuster trade. if that doesnt work and they miss the postseason, im afraid the lindy era will be over in blo

so whos it gonna be? vanek, connolly, roy? or somebody else. cant be too low on the depth chart or it wont be a big enough shakeup

im gonna say roy, hes got the most value, reasonable contract, should get something nice in return. and being the teams leading scorer, it will send a massive jolt through the lockerroom, hopefully enough to get these guys peeing themselves and motivated

so, if they are still close to the conference basement by game 20 roy is gone, perhaps sooner

who do you think it will be?

"Peeing themselves and motivated" is the whole premise of a blockbuster trade.

Now, why exactly would the "fear" of being traded from Buffalo (the organization and the city) and Ruff's oppressive system motivate anyone?

Nice, never thought of the fact people may be lining up saying send me packing Please. In that case I say it's Miller saying, Please,please,please trade me to a real contender or what your seeing from me you'll see the rest of the season.

"Peeing themselves and motivated" is the whole premise of a blockbuster trade.

Now, why exactly would the "fear" of being traded from Buffalo (the organization and the city) and Ruff's oppressive system motivate anyone?

Nice, never thought of the fact people may be lining up saying send me packing Please. In that case I say it's Miller saying, Please,please,please trade me to a real contender or what your seeing from me you'll see the rest of the season.

But, I thought Buffalo was the number 2 city to relocate to? What gives?

The time to trade was this summer when people still thought that at least some of the players on this roster were any good. Right now value must be so low for these guys that every time Darcy makes a call he gets laughed at by the secretary.

OK, I'll go there.

I think history will prove this summer was the ideal time to trade Miller.

however, its getting painfully close now. darcy simply cant sit on his hands, not this time

...but this is exactly what he does. In the offseason, at the trade deadline and most certainly during the season. All of a sudden he's going to start making moves? He will preach about perseverance and sticking with "his guys". I just don't understand why so many feel the organ-eye-zation "has" to do something. They never feel like they "have" to do something.

This is team status quo folks. (thanks deluca...I think)

Nope its not. Logically its impossible for my statement to be false. I believe it was TSN who commented over the summer about some players who are virtually untradeable bc of contracts. DiPietro was mentioned as one, so was pommers.

Pominville is overpaid, but not grossly. His contract is still manageable and he has a valuable skill set. He could certainly be traded. DiPietro is untradeable because of the length of his contract -- Pommer's doesn't come close and the money is reasonable.

Vanek is the only player on the team with an "untradeable" contract. Who is going to pay $7 mil for a 25 goal scorer? (I know, I know. He scored 40 twice. Once when camping in front of the net was a ground breaking new strategy.)

Pominville is overpaid, but not grossly. His contract is still manageable and he has a valuable skill set. He could certainly be traded. DiPietro is untradeable because of the length of his contract -- Pommer's doesn't come close and the money is reasonable.

Vanek is the only player on the team with an "untradeable" contract. Who is going to pay $7 mil for a 25 goal scorer? (I know, I know. He scored 40 twice. Once when camping in front of the net was a ground breaking new strategy.)

Pommers makes 5.3 million or about $180,000 per point.

He makes more than Jeff Carter, JP dumont, jorden staal, Dan alfredson, Kovalev, Gagne, Corey Perry, Alex Frolov and even marty friggin brodeur.

Do you think he is more valuable than those players. Listen i understand he kills PPs but 5.3 is too much. He will be very very difficult to trade.

Pommers makes 5.3 million or about $180,000 per point.

He makes more than Jeff Carter, JP dumont, jorden staal, Dan alfredson, Kovalev, Gagne, Corey Perry, Alex Frolov and even marty friggin brodeur.

Do you think he is more valuable than those players. Listen i understand he kills PPs but 5.3 is too much. He will be very very difficult to trade.

I think moving Pommers would be easier than you're claiming. For his lack of flashiness he consistently puts up points without anyone noticing. I think he just needs someone to coach him on picking his shot location. He keeps doing the same things and everyone knows it. He needs to be coached to expand his range.

hes been in the league for a long time he is who he is.

Pommers is consistent inputting up points that true, he its pretty consistent in getting 60 or so points a year. cant knock him for that but what im saying is theres a reason TSN mentioned him as one of those players that are pretty hard to move.

He isnt flashy, not a great skater. What you get is a good PK player who gives you 60 points a year. But he is a $5M cap hit and thats the problem. If someone can show me some players with similar skill sets making that salary then ill agree he is easier to trade.

There might be a big trade before the end of this week.

If the Buffalo Sabres lose both games before the weekend matchup with Toronto, and the Leafs lose both of their games before that matchup this weekend, we might very well see a big trade between those two teams by the time of the game Saturday. Here is a trade we might see:

To Toronto

Tim Connolly

- he represents a significant upgrade at centre

- as a playmaking centre, he would be ideal with Phil Kessel

Drew Stafford

- the Leafs need some size on the top-two lines

- he does have a 20-goal season under his belt

To Buffalo

Tomas Kaberle

- a bargain at $4,000,000

- he is the ultimate powerplay defensemen

Mikhail Grabovski

- he is a shoot-first centre

- scored 20 goals his rookie season

At this point, I think that each of the four players would welcome a trade, and - as a result - would perform better elsewhere. Stafford could - finally - become the power-forward he has the talent and size to be. Without the likes of Ron Wilson and Brian Burke browbeating him about his shoot-first tendency, Grabovski might become something of a sniper. He did demonstrate - with 20 goals as a rookie - that he has a goal-scorer's touch.

I think moving Pommers would be easier than you're claiming. For his lack of flashiness he consistently puts up points without anyone noticing. I think he just needs someone to coach him on picking his shot location. He keeps doing the same things and everyone knows it. He needs to be coached to expand his range.

I think Pommer is untradeable. He's small, his production has steadily declined since he signed his big contract, he completely disappeared in the playoffs last year, and he has 3.9 seasons left on a ridiculous $5.3MM per year deal.

Archived