GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

He kicked it in. Clear kicking motion. He may have had more time than he thought to settle it and shoot...

it was a clear kicking motion, my question is this: does it still count as a kick if the puck is then redirected off a stick? on the last replay they showed of the goal (they didn't review very long) I thought the puck, though clearly kicked by Vanek, bounced off the knob of the goalie's stick before crossing the line. not trying to spark controversy just curious what the rule is.

Am I the only one who thinks the players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net?

1. It's not going to become the new go-to tactic in the NHL. Kicking it in will still be harder than just scoring the old-fashioned way.

2. We won't have to worry about stupid reviews when the puck goes in off someone's skate. ("His skate was moving but was that really a kicking motion? Blah, blah, blah...")

3. We'd have higher scoring games.

The NHL is seriously the only sports league that hasn't figured out that more scoring makes the game more exciting. Crazy concept.

Am I the only one who thinks the players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net?

1. It's not going to become the new go-to tactic in the NHL. Kicking it in will still be harder than just scoring the old-fashioned way.

2. We won't have to worry about stupid reviews when the puck goes in off someone's skate. ("His skate was moving but was that really a kicking motion? Blah, blah, blah...")

The NHL is seriously the only sports league that hasn't figured out that more scoring makes the game more exciting. Crazy concept.

I completely agree. But then again I never watched the game until 1999.

Rivet is our highest paid defenseman. What the hell was Darcy thinking?!

He wasn't.

The defense was too inexperienced and soft, and Darcy acted out of desperation because it completely slipped his mind to try and keep the defense even remotely physical after McKee left. He just needed two full seasons realise it.

You know, much like the desperation that resulted in Vanek's, Gaustad's, Pominville and Hecht's contracts.

I won't add Connolly's contract to the mix. That one was just a regular jackass move, nothing to do with desperation.

Oh wonderful, so if a puck is laying next to Miller's head on the ice Avery can legally start kicking at the puck (and Miller's head)

Great idea! :rolleyes:

Was out last night, didn't watch the game. DVR'd it, but this will be the first game in three seasons I may not even watch the game highlights. What is happening to me? To our team?

IMO, it all depends on Myers. So goes Myers, so goes the team.

How many games does it take for a slow start to become a season trend? 10 games in seems like a decent sample. 3 wins in 10 games and only one (Atlanta) against their #1 goalie?

Yeah, it looks like the rest of the league has realized that the time to put the #2 goalie in is against the Sabres. Could it be a coincidence?

it was a clear kicking motion, my question is this: does it still count as a kick if the puck is then redirected off a stick? on the last replay they showed of the goal (they didn't review very long) I thought the puck, though clearly kicked by Vanek, bounced off the knob of the goalie's stick before crossing the line. not trying to spark controversy just curious what the rule is.

Goalie stick -- still no goal. Anyone else's stick, goal. (And off anyone's body, no goal.)

Rule 49.

watched on DVR as well. Man, just knew they would fall apart once they did not get the call on Briere . Watched the rest of the game from there in like 7 minutes. So predictable..some kind of change has to be made no? I have no ideas how these rules work, but can they not send Connoly down to Portland? I would like to see them flat out cut him, but as disinterested as he appears on the ice, make him eran his money riding some buses.

The Devils will need to unload Parise at some point. Anyone other than Vanek, Myers and Miller for Parise? Too bad Darcy doesn't have the balls to make a big trade like that.

There is NFW the Devils are going to trade Parise.

IMO, it all depends on Myers. So goes Myers, so goes the team.

I like this. Myers looked awful again last night. I think it's been a pretty big stomach punch to this team -- their best skater (i.e. non-goalie) from last year is now playing like just another mediocre defenseman.

It amazes me how fans will go to the officiating when their team sucks and is simply outworked when it counted. I suppose its frustration. Can we start a letter writing campaign to the absentee owner about our displeasure with the team 'his boys' are icing? It would seem to be a better use of our collective frustrations than blaming the refs. This is simply a bad team. Period.

How many games does it take for a slow start to become a season trend? 10 games in seems like a decent sample. 3 wins in 10 games and only one (Atlanta) against their #1 goalie?

Let's see,.. how many games?.. 3 seasons times 82 games plus six playoff games plus 10 games this year equals,.. 262. My final answer is that it takes 262 games to determine this trend.

It is amazing to me how many "fans" show up to this thread when the Sabres are losing. Where were you the last 2 games? No wonder no NHL/NFL player wants to come and play here. I'm not sure if it is the shi**y weather or all the shi**y deep fried chicken scraps we eat that make us so sad. The bench is fired up

I know ... I'm about 1/2 a day late ... these 'fans' do a lot better voicing AN opinion when Buffalo's losing.

I like this. Myers looked awful again last night. I think it's been a pretty big stomach punch to this team -- their best skater (i.e. non-goalie) from last year is now playing like just another mediocre defenseman.

The longer these good young defensemen spend around Ruff...

Oh wonderful, so if a puck is laying next to Miller's head on the ice Avery can legally start kicking at the puck (and Miller's head)

Great idea! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's already against the rules to kick a goalie, or anyone, in the head when they're on the ice.

You mean like Soupy? And McKee?

The way I remember it McKee had some pretty mediocre years after Warrener was dealt, and came back with one really strong season in 2005-2006 before going off to the Blues to become an oft-injured fringe player.

Not saying I didn't like him, but it's not like he was anything special when you look at the big picture.

Even so, just for the sake of argument - two guys worth a mention over a 13 year span? Not a very good track record in my book.

Fine. You win. Fire Lindy Ruff. It wont fix anything, but let's just do it anyway just for the lulz.

How do you know it won't fix anything? Are you 100% certain that Ruff is the best hockey coach we could ever have? There's 0% chance anyone could ever do a better job?

How do you know it won't fix anything? Are you 100% certain that Ruff is the best hockey coach we could ever have? There's 0% chance anyone could ever do a better job?

Don't put words in my mouth.

I think you could find a coach that might fix these misfits for a few games/months or the rest of the season if we're lucky. But in the long run, I think there's no way. I don't think anyone can really build a winner with these dusters. Not even the great Peter Laviolette, the go-to guy when you absolutely need to fire your coach and drag a team out of the ashes.

I'd rather just see them sh*tcan Lindy so that I don't have to sit here wondering if it really is his fault anymore. Shut the critics up. Either they're right and they can get down off their soapboxes, or they're wrong and they drop it.

And on a personal level, I'd like to remember his as a good coach.