GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Don't put words in my mouth.

I think you could find a coach that might fix these misfits for a few games/months or the rest of the season if we're lucky. But in the long run, I think there's no way. I don't think anyone can really build a winner with these dusters. Not even the great Peter Laviolette, the go-to guy when you absolutely need to fire your coach and drag a team out of the ashes.

I'd rather just see them sh*tcan Lindy so that I don't have to sit here wondering if it really is his fault anymore. Shut the critics up. Either they're right and they can get down off their soapboxes, or they're wrong and they drop it.

And on a personal level, I'd like to remember his as a good coach.

If the Sabres miss the playoffs this season, will it taint your memory of him? Didn't 02, 03, 04, 08 and 09 do the trick? Hey, he's the one who for a long time has been preaching the parity of the league, I think in an attempt to explain away his mediocre teams. But it cuts both ways. If the teams are so close, and he's so great, how did he fail to get any of those teams into the top half of his conference?

If the Sabres miss the playoffs this season, will it taint your memory of him? Didn't 02, 03, 04, 08 and 09 do the trick? Hey, he's the one who for a long time has been preaching the parity of the league, I think in an attempt to explain away his mediocre teams. But it cuts both ways. If the teams are so close, and he's so great, how did he fail to get any of those teams into the top half of his conference?

It's not really fair to ask someone as young as I am that question though. My first real memories of the Sabres were the 97-98 playoffs when I was 11. I followed the Sabres about as diligently as a kid could who didn't come from a very dedicated sports family. Heck, I didn't have cable till I came to college in 05 so I couldn't even watch games.

Joining this forum and becoming not just a fan, but an analyst, changed how I view the team. My only real critical years of this team started in 05. That combined with the fact that I don't have decades of deep seeded anger to unleash at will, is why I don't harbor any resentment towards Ruff. In my 13 years of legitimate fanhood he's taken us to the Stanley Cup and almost did it again in 06. Why should I dislike the guy?

It's not really fair to ask someone as young as I am that question though. My first real memories of the Sabres were the 97-98 playoffs when I was 11. I followed the Sabres about as diligently as a kid could who didn't come from a very dedicated sports family. Heck, I didn't have cable till I came to college in 05 so I couldn't even watch games.

Joining this forum and becoming not just a fan, but an analyst, changed how I view the team. My only real critical years of this team started in 05. That combined with the fact that I don't have decades of deep seeded anger to unleash at will, is why I don't harbor any resentment towards Ruff. In my 13 years of legitimate fanhood he's taken us to the Stanley Cup and almost did it again in 06. Why should I dislike the guy?

Ruff has been coach 12 full years

In those years there were 14 and 15 teams in our conference

An average coach given that tenure will get his team to the Stanley Cup 0.85 times

Ruff made the playoffs 7 of 12 years

That is 58%

The average team should make it 54-56% of the time

Ruff has won 10 playoff series

The average team has won 6.1 series

Since Hasek has left:

Ruff has gone to the playoffs 3 of 8 years

The average team has gone 4.32 times

Ruff has won 4 playoff series

The average team has won 4 playoff series

The results?

With Dominik Hasek, Lindy Ruff was a slightly above average coach

Without Hasek, Lindy Ruff has been a slightly below average head coach

Lindy Ruff is the 18th best head coach in the league according to Drane Enterprises Hockey Software Ltd.

• Like (+1) 1

Ruff has been coach 12 full years

In those years there were 14 and 15 teams in our conference

An average coach given that tenure will get his team to the Stanley Cup 0.85 times

Ruff made the playoffs 7 of 12 years

That is 58%

The average team should make it 54-56% of the time

Ruff has won 10 playoff series

The average team has won 6.1 series

Since Hasek has left:

Ruff has gone to the playoffs 3 of 8 years

The average team has gone 4.32 times

Ruff has won 4 playoff series

The average team has won 4 playoff series

The results?

With Dominik Hasek, Lindy Ruff was a slightly above average coach

Without Hasek, Lindy Ruff has been a slightly below average head coach

Lindy Ruff is the 18th best head coach in the league according to Drane Enterprises Hockey Software Ltd.

Interesting post. I'm curious as to where you get all these numbers from?

I'd also be curious to see where those numbers would go if he remained coach for 4 more years. (cue PA having a heart attack)

Obviously Hasek was important to this teams success. And Miller is also just as important. But none of that changes my opinion of Lindy.

Interesting post. I'm curious as to where you get all these numbers from?

I'd also be curious to see where those numbers would go if he remained coach for 4 more years. (cue PA having a heart attack)

Obviously Hasek was important to this teams success. And Miller is also just as important. But none of that changes my opinion of Lindy.

Math!

There were 14 teams in the conference but 15 now for the majority.

In 12 years, 12 eastern teams make it to the Cup

12/14 or 15 teams = .8 or .86 trips to the Cup per team

8 teams from the east make the playoffs each year

8/14 = 57%

8/15 = 53%

Each year, teams in the east win 4+2+1 playoff series, and assuming a 50/50 chance in the Cup, .5, for 7.5 playoff series wins per year. in 12 years under Ruff, the East has 90 playoff series wins. In 8 years without Hasek, 60 wins.

60 wins / 15 available teams = 4 playoff series wins per team average

8 years * 54% chance of making playoffs = 4.32 trips to playoffs per team

There are some teams that go more, and some less.....but those are the statistical averages to be expected.

The only above average aspect of Ruff's record is 10 playoff series wins versus the 6 that can be expected. But once again, post Hasek, he is below average.

PS....In the regular season, When Dominik Hasek IS NOT the starting goaltender, Lindy Ruff is in the Neighborhood of 5 games over .500

This includes the years Hasek was on the team, but did not start.

Ruff was a few games over after the '08-'09 season when I looked up the stats. Last year he was 7 over and this year 4 under. So call it 5 games over .500 in 12 years of coaching without Hasek between the pipes.

• Like (+1) 1

Math!

8/14 = 57%

8/15 = 53%

Each year, teams in the east win 4+2+1 playoff series, and assuming a 50/50 chance in the Cup, .5, for 7.5 playoff series wins per year. in 12 years under Ruff, the East has 90 playoff series wins. In 8 years without Hasek, 60 wins.

There are some teams that go more, and some less.....but those are the statistical averages to be expected.

The only above average aspect of Ruff's record is 10 playoff series wins versus the 6 that can be expected. But once again, post Hasek, he is below average.

See this is why I love this place. Interesting use of statistics and nicely done.

I already have that video. I've been waiting on the live-action Furrotica adaptation of Bambi.

Still in production, can't get spndnchz and Kristian to sign on as Thumper and Flower. The only two to audition for those roles are SDS and nfreeman. Which is the main reason 'The Poster Formerly Known as Crosschecking' quit the board.

See this is why I love this place. Interesting use of statistics and nicely done.

Thanks.

The Sabres love to manipulate statistics. That's one of the reasons I feel management is disingenuous. They always throw out little BS numbers to keep the masses at bay.

Like, Tyler Ennis leads the league in assists per inches, divided by age.

It's not really out there, but would you be shocked?

Thanks.

The Sabres love to manipulate statistics. That's one of the reasons I feel management is disingenuous. They always throw out little BS numbers to keep the masses at bay.

Jeremy White on the WGR morning does that all the time while shilling for the local teams. QB rating was a garbage stat until Fitzpatrick's raised his.

Thanks.

Darcy was loaded up with some beauties at the PP Luncheon about how much parity there is in the league.

But he will never top his claim that the Sabres turn over their roster every four years.

Math!

8/14 = 57%

8/15 = 53%

Nice stats. I really do appreciate it. Can you figure it for NJ without Brodeur? Colorado without Roy? Look, Hasek was part of the team; the Sabs spent money on him (pre-cap) instead of on other players. I don't think it's correct to discount those years.

All that said, NONE of this has anything to do with the game last night; again, I plead for an official Lindy thread.

Darcy was loaded up with some beauties at the PP Luncheon about how much parity there is in the league.

But he will never top his claim that the Sabres turn over their roster every four years.

They do turn over their roster. The problem is they only turn over their fourth line.