GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

No i didn't, but i did see Vancouver's because i taped it and saw it this morning, just wanted to see what they were gonna do and wanted to have a game to watch for my hangover. They had it classy. They came out in whites with names and old timers handed them jerseys with no names, just like it was 40yr ago.

But, after i posted my post, i learned, the true 40yr celebration will be held NEXT friday, 10-15, which is 40yr to the day of their 40yr, and they play Montreal, just like they did 40yr ago.

Uh oh. It feels like we always lose games with big pre-game ceremonies.

Was anyone else disappointed by the 40th anniversary jerseys? They could have been cool but they went too far off the deep end with the nameplates and numbers.

Yeah feeding a goal from his knees behind the net is totally rookie.

Hey man, I want to see him do well just as much as anyone here, but he didn't have a great weekend. His pass from his knees was nice, OK, but it doesn't outweigh his turnovers, sloppy passes, poor shot selection and indecisiveness both offensively (not knowing whether to pass or hang to it) and defensively (not knowing which guy is his guy on the backcheck). I'm not saying he looked AWFUL -- obviously the whole team looked awful Saturday -- but he looks like a young kid who made some mistakes and still has a little bit to learn, and has some parts of his game he needs to refine. I hate to use this parallel but at least once in each game Ennis took the puck into the zone Afingenov-style and dipsy-doodled all over the place for 15 seconds and ultimately took a poor shot or turned it over.

He did show some promising flashes and I'm not really too worried about it. I still consider him a candidate to compete for Rookie of the Year. Just calling it like I see it.

Hey man, I want to see him do well just as much as anyone here, but he didn't have a great weekend. His pass from his knees was nice, OK, but it doesn't outweigh his turnovers, sloppy passes, poor shot selection and indecisiveness both offensively (not knowing whether to pass or hang to it) and defensively (not knowing which guy is his guy on the backcheck). I'm not saying he looked AWFUL -- obviously the whole team looked awful Saturday -- but he looks like a young kid who made some mistakes and still has a little bit to learn, and has some parts of his game he needs to refine. I hate to use this parallel but at least once in each game Ennis took the puck into the zone Afingenov-style and dipsy-doodled all over the place for 15 seconds and ultimately took a poor shot or turned it over.

He did show some promising flashes and I'm not really too worried about it. I still consider him a candidate to compete for Rookie of the Year. Just calling it like I see it.

Yup, this is what stuck out to me. Indecisiveness, plus maybe ...what do you call it... field-awareness, I guess?

And yeah, it's not like anyone's labeled him a bust, yet!

What was up with the ceremony? It was horrible. For a 40th ann. it was pathetic.

It was a little weak. What they did, was well done. But there really wasn't enough at all. Cool with the memorabilia of the various decades, you know? But there was very, very little hockey in that opening, and I made sure (I think it was chz's suggestion) to get to my seats in time. The Sabres could have done a lot more with that.

It was a little weak. What they did, was well done. But there really wasn't enough at all. Cool with the memorabilia of the various decades, you know? But there was very, very little hockey in that opening, and I made sure (I think it was chz's suggestion) to get to my seats in time. The Sabres could have done a lot more with that.

nice overview. good to have you back, in the non creepiest way possible.

Uh oh. It feels like we always lose games with big pre-game ceremonies.

Was anyone else disappointed by the 40th anniversary jerseys? They could have been cool but they went too far off the deep end with the nameplates and numbers.

That back of the jerseys are just simply ugly. The front looks like it should be on sweatshirt. I am surprised they didn't go back to the Pepsi Cap for the third. Seems like they are missing out on a great opportunity there working in a promotion with Pepsi.

Agreed! I noticed it more in the Rangers game than the Sens game. Does anyone else think this kid could benefit from another season in the AHL?

It's time for the kid to sink or swim. The same with Sekera, Butler and Weber. If they are not regulars in the lineup by the end of the season it may be time to move them elsewhere and give someone else a shot. The Sabres can't keep waiting forever on these guys. You can add Stafford to that list.

That back of the jerseys are just simply ugly. The front looks like it should be on sweatshirt. I am surprised they didn't go back to the Pepsi Cap for the third. Seems like they are missing out on a great opportunity there working in a promotion with Pepsi.

Since they already have an agreement with coke, working a promotion with pepsi really wouldn't fly.

[/b]

It's time for the kid to sink or swim. The same with Sekera, Butler and Weber. If they are not regulars in the lineup by the end of the season it may be time to move them elsewhere and give someone else a shot. The Sabres can't keep waiting forever on these guys. You can add Stafford to that list.

Why not? They're still waiting for Connolly.

I would agree with everything on this list except for the original point. While I am totally fine with throwing Ennis in the deep end, he's not exactly at the make or break point. He's had one professional season, plus two games, and all he's done is earn the rookie of the year in the AHL, be a PPG player in 12 NHL games and lead the Sabres in playoff points last year. He's also only 21, as opposed to 23-25 like the others. If you swap Gerbe for Ennis, I'll agree with the whole point. If it came down to it (I'm not sure that 3 assists and a +1 in 2 games is really bad, even if he occasionally looks like a rookie), Ennis could take another year or at least part of a year in the AHL to get ready.

Ennis wasn't the problem against the Rangers. Roy followed up his very strong opening night by taking this one off, and Stafford, Pommer and Vanek stayed home with him for the SGM party. Myers kinda crapped the bed too.

That TC-Pommer-Vanek line has looked like a waste of a cool $17MM per year so far. They have 0 goals and 1 assist between them so far and are a collective minus-9.

I'll say it again: Pommer's contract is, by far, the biggest mistake Darcy has ever made.

Just got back from the game and WOW, real bad. The good thing is that there were not just a couple guys that didn't show up tonight, nobody showed up. No legs, tired and I honestly think they put a lot into last nights game. It even sounded like from Miller after the game that this team was still in Ottawa (it happens). Good to see the Leopold get two goals - only bright spot.

I think even more so than a couple weeks ago that Connolly and Stafford have zero prayer of being on this team next year which is good....

Just listening to Rob Ray on WGR right thatnow and I thought it was funny that he said (almost word for word) "there were not just a couple guys that didn't show up tonight, nobody showed up." It just stuck out since that was the first thing I noticed and why I was not worried...

WRONG. For all the 16 yo puck bunnies dumb sl00ts who buy all his gear and think he's so cute, his contract is already paid off.

I assume you were joking, and that you don't really think they've already sold $27MM worth of Pommer jerseys? So, if they make $100 per jersey in profit (which they don't), you don't think they've sold 270,000 Pommer jerseys? i.e. 1 for every single person in the city of Buffalo?

I assume you were joking, and that you don't really think they've already sold $27MM worth of Pommer jerseys? So, if they make $100 per jersey in profit (which they don't), you don't think they've sold 270,000 Pommer jerseys? i.e. 1 for every single person in the city of Buffalo?

He just likes to see himself type.

That would be a good promotional idea.

The people of Buffalo aren't the only people buying Sabres jerseys.

Yes it was a joke.

Archived