thoughts on the upcoming year

sabres1970

In the NHL, talent wins...given that the talent is also paired with character. The Sabres didn't pick up much if any talent this past offseason. They just have their draft picks progressing through the system and will hopefully push some of the more mediocre incumbents out.

If they get into the playoffs, it'll be the same story...among the have-nots, the more desperate team will win.

In the NHL, talent wins...given that the talent is also paired with character. The Sabres didn't pick up much if any talent this past offseason. They just have their draft picks progressing through the system and will hopefully push some of the more mediocre incumbents out.

If they get into the playoffs, it'll be the same story...among the have-nots, the more desperate team will win.

Who here took the Montreal Canadians to go to the Conference finals? Come on, don't be shy, raise your hand. Anything can happen once you get to the playoffs. We have a team that should make it and it's tough on September 22 to say that "it'll be the same story' when April rolls around.

Former Calgary Flames' GM Craig Button is an analyst for the NHL Network.

BUTTON'S BREAKDOWN:

The Buffalo Sabres don't survive, they thrive. Year after year, Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff exhibit the qualities of leadership and competency in assembling and preparing their team for success.

The past season saw them exit the playoffs in a disappointing 1st-round loss to the Boston Bruins. But what should excite Sabres' fans is the fact that they were a 100-point team, with the ability to score (9th overall in goal scoring), and to play defense (4th overall in goals against).

Ryan Miller, the reigning Vezina trophy winner, provides the capability and stability in goal whereby confidence can permeate throughout the team.

The defense remains mobile and adept with the puck. Has size and physical strength with Shaone Morrisonn and Craig Rivet and with the emergence of Tyler Myers, the reigning Calder trophy winner, as an all-around force on the blue line, this group is solid.

The forwards have shown scoring ability, but Tomas Vanek needs to improve on last season's totals to ensure the Sabres are keeping opponents on the edge and giving themselves some breathing room. They can skate and have some physical players and can make a game very challenging for their opponents. The Sabres are a very good team and should seriously look at themselves as Stanley Cup contenders.

-I'd say these are my thoughts on the year.

The Sabres are a very good team and should seriously look at themselves as Stanley Cup contenders.

-I'd say these are my thoughts on the year.

I was on the fence, but now I am with you and Mr. Button.

I learned last night that the Sabres have each been equipped with one of these for the coming season. Never again will they be considered soft and defenseless to attack. Miller's doorstep will now be a safe haven.

http://www.keykittytv.com/

Well whatta ya know, summer flew by with crazy work changes and the family, now the kids started school so coming home from work there's 3rd and 5th grade homework to help with. Then I finally get to watch some TV last night and while flipping the channels I see a preseason hockey game on the NHL network last night, Flyers vs Devils.

My thoughts on the coming year, well Yabba dabba do it's finally started. I am sorry we did not get the top six forward or more importantly center that we need but I am thrilled to be getting hockey back. So for me it's entertainment and I apologize if this was already posted in another thread but it sums up the coming year for me nicely with something else I also grew up enjoying watching.

Linky

Bring the season on its been too long w/o.

Well whatta ya know, summer flew by with crazy work changes and the family, now the kids started school so coming home from work there's 3rd and 5th grade homework to help with. Then I finally get to watch some TV last night and while flipping the channels I see a preseason hockey game on the NHL network last night, Flyers vs Devils.

My thoughts on the coming year, well Yabba dabba do it's finally started. I am sorry we did not get the top six forward or more importantly center that we need but I am thrilled to be getting hockey back. So for me it's entertainment and I apologize if this was already posted in another thread but it sums up the coming year for me nicely with something else I also grew up enjoying watching.

Linky

Bring the season on its been too long w/o.

That link was quite bizarre. Loved this line: "When nuclear winter comes, all that will be left are cockroaches, Chris Chelios(notes) and the tag team of Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier still running the show in Buffalo."

They really missed the boat by not pairing up images of Hulk Hogan and the aforementioned Lindsay. Relax, just paying homage to the late great Pat Burns.

Thomas Vanek speaks on his website:

TV

Thanks. That was a surprisingly good read. I think I like Vanek more now than I used to.

A few items I found interesting:

Question: Please compare last year’s team with this year’s. Where did the Sabres get better?

Vanek: Defensively, no doubt about that! I know Jordan Leopold from my time at college and he is another great skater who can chip in offensively. I can only repeat myself: speed and good skating is the most important part in today’s hockey. Morrison has also left a lasting first impression at camp. There’s just no getting around him in 1-on-1 situations. He reminds me a bit of Tallinder, only with more grit. Like Myers and Leopold he is also a great skater. I think these two will make us better up front, too.

Question: What about your injuries from last season? Everything fine?

Vanek: Yes, thank god! Only on the day after a hard practice I still feel my ankle a bit. I have to do more warm up to get it going, that’s something I didn’t have to do before. But nothing to worry about.

Question: You got new/old jerseys for this season. How do you like the return to the original logo?

Vanek: I think they are very cool and, honestly, I’m glad that the old logo has gone now. For me, our throwback jerseys are the best in the league. I loved the buffalo with the crossed sabres already as a kid. I also think that they made a great job with our new third jersey.

Also: he and his wife are expecting twins -- which will give him 3 kids (all boys) at age 26. There's a throwback for ya.

Thanks. That was a surprisingly good read. I think I like Vanek more now than I used to.

A few items I found interesting:

Also: he and his wife are expecting twins -- which will give him 3 kids (all boys) at age 26. There's a throwback for ya.

I like how he says he'll have a complete forward line now. :thumbsup:

Question: Do you know the line combinations already?

Vanek: No, it’s too early for that. I think we’ll get a better idea after the first exhibition games. During practice and the scrimmages I played with Derek Roy as Center. Who will play right wing is everybody’s guess right now.

Ah, poor Drew.

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch the interview with Lindy where he implied that maybe Kaleta could move up? I don't know about moving that far up, but definitely up. He's one of the fastest guys on the team,

, and with him banging everyone around, maybe he could give the skill guys some room to work. It's one of those where I'm not ready to join, but I am willing to read the brochure (so to speak.)

Ah, poor Drew.

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch the interview with Lindy where he implied that maybe Kaleta could move up? I don't know about moving that far up, but definitely up. He's one of the fastest guys on the team,

, and with him banging everyone around, maybe he could give the skill guys some room to work. It's one of those where I'm not ready to join, but I am willing to read the brochure (so to speak.)

I heard it. He also mentioned Niedermayer and I think McCormick (!) as guys who could be placed with scorers as part of the "two scorers with a bigger grit guy" approach. This got me thinking about various wacky line combos -- but then the first practice had Roy-Vanek-Stafford and TC-Pommer-Hecht again, so now I'm not confident about any major line shakeup occuring.

Ah, poor Drew.

First day of practice and Lindy already needs to motivate Stafford with a threat to move Kaleta into his spot?

I heard it. He also mentioned Niedermayer and I think McCormick (!) as guys who could be placed with scorers as part of the "two scorers with a bigger grit guy" approach. This got me thinking about various wacky line combos -- but then the first practice had Roy-Vanek-Stafford and TC-Pommer-Hecht again, so now I'm not confident about any major line shakeup occuring.

It's funny. Lindy just now discovered the idea of putting a mucker on a scoring line. Every fall, I swear, he's got some new gimmick to foist on the fans. Oh yeah, he's tweaking The System for this season. It was in the News. Last fall, it was "puck possession."

Archived