thoughts on the upcoming year

sabres1970

I heard it. He also mentioned Niedermayer and I think McCormick (!) as guys who could be placed with scorers as part of the "two scorers with a bigger grit guy" approach. This got me thinking about various wacky line combos -- but then the first practice had Roy-Vanek-Stafford and TC-Pommer-Hecht again, so now I'm not confident about any major line shakeup occuring.

Exactly what I thought after reading the same information.

It's funny. Lindy just now discovered the idea of putting a mucker on a scoring line. Every fall, I swear, he's got some new gimmick to foist on the fans. Oh yeah, he's tweaking The System for this season. It was in the News. Last fall, it was "puck possession."

Well I have to admit that it was pretty well established and supported here on this board that if this team does one thing well it has been marketing their product. If this turns out all talk and never materialzes once the puck drops then I will be inclined to agree with you.

Just thought I'd share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6OsYUbhK8

Nice and defintely gets the blood going just tell me now why we cannot use music like this at the games instead of sweet caroline. :rolleyes:

Not crazy about that song individually but I think ass-kicking rock is definitely the way to go. That's not to say there's no room for the classics.

I'm dying to get up to Buffalo one of these days to visit the arena now that I'm really starting to get into hockey and have grown to love this team. Being in Los Angeles prevents and lacking in necessary funds prevents this from occurring.

Two weeks from tonight!!:beer:

Yes!

Not to mention that there is a sabres game on TV tomorrow night! It's just preseason, but we'll get a look at Kassian, Adam, Weber, Ennis, etc. -- and maybe even the white jerseys.

Separately: TSN has the Sabres as #9 in the NHL and #1 in the NE division -- check it out. There isn't much interesting in the article, but they do say this:

If the Sabres top trio can rediscover their scoring touch, then Buffalo could very well challenge for the Eastern Conference title.

Not crazy about that song individually but I think ass-kicking rock is definitely the way to go. That's not to say there's no room for the classics.

I'm dying to get up to Buffalo one of these days to visit the arena now that I'm really starting to get into hockey and have grown to love this team. Being in Los Angeles prevents and lacking in necessary funds prevents this from occurring.

Good God! That's a song??? Sounds like chaos on steroids. I like Street Fighting Man myself - it should be their anthem.

Thousand Foot Krutch. They're actually a Christian band.

Hmmm - never would have guessed it. Always on the look out for heavy stuff for the kids' locker room mixes that don't have too many ######, bitch, ######, ######, ######, ###### and ###### words in them. Surprisingly hard to find.

Hmmm - never would have guessed it. Always on the look out for heavy stuff for the kids' locker room mixes that don't have too many ######, bitch, ######, ######, ######, ###### and ###### words in them. Surprisingly hard to find.

You could record your own. I'm sure that would work out well.

Taking Miller, Myers and Vanek between 30-40 goals as givens,just for arguments sake, what else is a must for this team to seriously contend for a Stanley Cup. I'm not talking Division or 100 pts. What, after the three players I mentioned, is the key for a Championship season?

My pick is the emergence of a second consistent scoring threat. Either Pominville, Roy or whoever needs to be around 40 goals at seasons end. This team needs a second offensive star to shine. If a Roy or Pominville can have that career year I think it can open the door for a 50+ goal season by Vanek.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I don't think it is very likely to happen. I am merely, in the spirit of the start of a new season, trying to join the discussion of what will it take to win a Cup despite individual opinions on their chances.

Taking Miller, Myers and Vanek between 30-40 goals as givens,just for arguments sake, what else is a must for this team to seriously contend for a Stanley Cup. I'm not talking Division or 100 pts. What, after the three players I mentioned, is the key for a Championship season?

My pick is the emergence of a second consistent scoring threat. Either Pominville, Roy or whoever needs to be around 40 goals at seasons end. This team needs a second offensive star to shine. If a Roy or Pominville can have that career year I think it can open the door for a 50+ goal season by Vanek.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I don't think it is very likely to happen. I am merely, in the spirit of the start of a new season, trying to join the discussion of what will it take to win a Cup despite individual opinions on their chances.

How about a reasonably competent power play? Someone needs to develop into a PP quarterback. Pominville has failed at the point and the half wall. So has Connolly. If Myers doesn't grow into that role, I don't know what they can do differently. Its the same guys doing the same old crap. They abandoned the umbrella system the debuted last year after about 10 games.

They also need to figure out how to gain possession in the offensive zone on the PP. If I have to watch the drop pass at the blue line for 82 games I am going to claw my eyes out.

How about a reasonably competent power play? Someone needs to develop into a PP quarterback. Pominville has failed at the point and the half wall. So has Connolly. If Myers doesn't grow into that role, I don't know what they can do differently. Its the same guys doing the same old crap. They abandoned the umbrella system the debuted last year after about 10 games.

They also need to figure out how to gain possession in the offensive zone on the PP. If I have to watch the drop pass at the blue line for 82 games I am going to claw my eyes out.

I think if Myers is going to be the player so many think he can be he needs to start taking on the role of PP-QB.

I think if Myers is going to be the player so many think he can be he needs to start taking on the role of PP-QB.

I think it is funny that you guys are talking about the power play because I logged on for the sole purpose of talking about it. What would make me claw my eyes out would be if I have to watch Vanek in front of the net all year playing tip drill. As good as he is at it, I think he has WAY more value in a Kovalev/Jagr role along the low boards, than waiting to be injured by a slap shot in front of the net.

Still, I am VERY excited about this season. I still think they are only one move away from being a true SC contender,.. which is great. I just hope we see that move.

I think it is funny that you guys are talking about the power play because I logged on for the sole purpose of talking about it. What would make me claw my eyes out would be if I have to watch Vanek in front of the net all year playing tip drill. As good as he is at it, I think he has WAY more value in a Kovalev/Jagr role along the low boards, than waiting to be injured by a slap shot in front of the net.

Still, I am VERY excited about this season. I still think they are only one move away from being a true SC contender,.. which is great. I just hope we see that move.

Take a look at the powerplay stats that Vanek put up prior to this past season when he had a competent point man out there with him (I'm counting Jaro Spacek in 08-09). That "tip drill" position is a gold mine if they actually have the right player out there with him. As deluca is suggesting, hopefully Myers grows into that role quickly.

They need to mix it up. Vanek has great hands and has scored many goals tipping shots from the point. That said, with his talent? I would prefer he was facing the goalie with the puck on his stick.

They need to mix it up. Vanek has great hands and has scored many goals tipping shots from the point. That said, with his talent? I would prefer he was facing the goalie with the puck on his stick.

I agree, Vanek is good in front of the net looking for tips or rebounds, but the PP is a one-trick pony if ever there was one.

Easy enough to defend, when you know what's coming every time.

Also, our other forwards on the sideboards panic way too easily when put under pressure, and our retrieval of the puck on dump and chase is non-existent.

Finally, if this team is going to improve on their PP, or be a contender in any way, I don't feel it falls on one player, but on a very simple part of the game - Our passing simply is not good enough.

I can't count the number of times where players were digging 10ft passes out of their skates on the rush, or stretching to reach simple passes along the blueline.

It HAS to improve, and improve A LOT NOW.

Archived