Kaleta agrees to 2 year deal

carpandean

The Point? Signing popular fourth liners? How many "popular" fourth liners do the Sabres have? Grier? McCormick? Kaleta? Were not Mair and Ellis popular over the past couple of years? It's not that hard.

I have a bigger challenge for Regier and the Sabres. How about signing popular players that make a difference? How about signing popular players that can play on the top two lines?

I'll care about the Kaleta's of this world once this team addresses it's real needs and problems.

You don't think Kaleta makes a difference?

I wouldn't consider him a 4th liner either, if he could stay healthy.

He's no sniper, granted, and teams may not consider him an offensive threat, but he's a great PK'er who can contribute nicely on both ends of the ice. For the price, he's certainly worth the attention some here are giving him.

He's no sniper, granted, and teams may not consider him an offensive threat, but he's a great PK'er who can contribute nicely on both ends of the ice. For the price, he's certainly worth the attention some here are giving him.

I will tell you why. He is a accent piece. A complimentary player. The problem is that he is has no players to accent on this roster. There are no top six style of players for his style to compliment. I can't get excited about Kaleta until this team addresses the need for difference makers.

I thought the "point" of the thread was Kaleta agrees to 2 year deal, not Eleven's feelings on the matter. Personally, I would have liked a four-year commitment from Darcy that recognizes Kaleta's steady growth and improvement and ability to bring the fans to their feet almost every game. He might have had to go a touch over 1.0 in the third and fourth years, but he didn't want to what, risk it? Or was he offering four years at 550,000, is that more likely? Either way, we will see Kaleta split in two years now, almost guaranteed. And that's kind of a shame, if you ask me.

I thought the "point" of the thread was Kaleta agrees to 2 year deal, not Eleven's feelings on the matter. Personally, I would have liked a four-year commitment from Darcy that recognizes Kaleta's steady growth and improvement and ability to bring the fans to their feet almost every game. He might have had to go a touch over 1.0 in the third and fourth years, but he didn't want to what, risk it? Or was he offering four years at 550,000, is that more likely? Either way, we will see Kaleta split in two years now, almost guaranteed. And that's kind of a shame, if you ask me.

It is ridiculous, all these two-year deals. Make everyone sign for two years or less so they can dump you quicker, rather than lock up someone long term who you feel will be great. If you ask me I'll bet this is coming from above Darcy. Maybe Tommy-boy is trying to sell the team and doesn't want any big long contracts scaring anyone away.

PTR

I saw Kaleta referred to as "rugged" in an AP story today. I wouldn't call him rugged, especially given his injury history.

A good measure of Living Legend Lindy will be what kind of player Kaleta is at the end of this contract. When I think of Kaleta, I don't think of the borderline charges, the turtles, the drawn penalties as much as I do those two goals at MSG. This kid can be so much more -- it's just a matter of whether the franchise has any interest in him being that, or, even if it does, whether Ruff can get him there.

On that note, not to be cynical, but in two years, it's probably more likely Kaleta is in a home.

I don't see him as anything other than a forth liner. He's an agitator which is okay I guess, I find him to be the type of player I loathe from other teams. He seems to take cheap shots and run. Don't think I care for him much, other than he's a local guy.

I saw Kaleta referred to as "rugged" in an AP story today. I wouldn't call him rugged, especially given his injury history.

A good measure of Living Legend Lindy will be what kind of player Kaleta is at the end of this contract. When I think of Kaleta, I don't think of the borderline charges, the turtles, the drawn penalties as much as I do those two goals at MSG. This kid can be so much more -- it's just a matter of whether the franchise has any interest in him being that, or, even if it does, whether Ruff can get him there.

On that note, not to be cynical, but in two years, it's probably more likely Kaleta is in a home.

I can't disagree with you on this because it's how I feel too. Kaleta is good but signing him for any more than what Darcy just did would be insane. This kid is early retirement waiting to happen. If he makes it 4 more years in the NHL I'll be shocked.

PK's Facebook page

If you are on Facebook, check out PK calling out Larry Quinn. I'm reading this and I'm thinking this can't really be Kaleta writing this stuff:

"i no we give darcy alot of ######... but what about Larry Quinn? all and all hes the head of the sabres but what does he do? only time i hear or see him is at the end of the year meetings with the news."

Is it ever a good idea to publicly rag on your boss?

PTR

lol i got this from Bill Hoppe's twitter, i thought it was funny-

ahh, bill ... is he still staying away?

This isn't something to turn into a complaint. Kaleta is a good player.

hear hear.

EDIT: his numbers were 10+5 last year. if he can stay healthy (and i think he does a better job this year, picks his spots more), i can see him growing into a guy who notches 20-25 points and chips in with 100-150 PIM. nothing wrong with that at all, thanks very much. just ask ott'wa fans how they feel about chris neil.

PK's Facebook page

If you are on Facebook, check out PK calling out Larry Quinn. I'm reading this and I'm thinking this can't really be Kaleta writing this stuff:

Is it ever a good idea to publicly rag on your boss?

PTR

Unofficial Fan Page for Right Winger Patrick Kaleta. I am in no way affiliated with Patrick himself or the Buffalo Sabres. THIS IS NOT RUN BY KALETA. ITS COMPLETELY FAN RAN.

Unofficial Fan Page for Right Winger Patrick Kaleta. I am in no way affiliated with Patrick himself or the Buffalo Sabres. THIS IS NOT RUN BY KALETA. ITS COMPLETELY FAN RAN.

That's two guotes now from that page where the grammar makes my head hurt. It's funny because that mastery of the english language is exactly what I would expect from Kaleta. It seems to fit his style of play so well. :D

drawing penalties should be considered offensive contribution and PK sure draws more than his fair share

Somewhere I read that it doesn't matter that they settled before the hearing. Once Darcy started the process it was used.

Checked it. They can't take club elected again. Section 12.3-c of CBA:

a Player as to whom a Club has elected salary arbitration, regardless of whether a hearing took place in connection with that election, is no longer eligible for Club-elected salary arbitration. If a Club subsequently elects to take such a Player to salary arbitration, that election will be null and void.

The Point? Signing popular fourth liners? How many "popular" fourth liners do the Sabres have? Grier? McCormick? Kaleta? Were not Mair and Ellis popular over the past couple of years? It's not that hard.

I have a bigger challenge for Regier and the Sabres. How about signing popular players that make a difference? How about signing popular players that can play on the top two lines?

I'll care about the Kaleta's of this world once this team addresses it's real needs and problems.

I can't wait until Darcy either quits or gets fired, and then you become the next GM of the Sabres. I'd love to see you bring in Sean Avery and Chris Neil, just so we can all rip on you.

Granted, I've been somewhat critical of what the FO is doing, but they can never do anything right in your eyes. That's why I want to see if you can do the job of a GM. Then I want to see if you can handle criticism of the local media and the fans through forums such as this.

Other than that, to get back on track, I'm glad we kept Kaleta.

Archived