Next year's lineup...

Barnabov

To bad actually, I had high hopes for this kid as a power forward.

I think they'll take it slow with him to make sure he matures a bit. Back to Juniors this year. A full season in the minors the year after with no call up no matter how well he does. Then he gets his shot after that.

Zack is still unsigned. The Sabres have to sign him before next years draft or he will re-enter the draft. The rules are that the drafting team has 2 years to sign the player if they don't then a player 20 or younger can re-enter the draft, over 20 they become an UFA.

With a college player the team has until 30 days after the player leaves college. For example Corey Tropp, he decided to leave college so the Sabres had to sign him within the 30 days or they would lose him.

Zack is still unsigned. The Sabres have to sign him before next years draft or he will re-enter the draft. The rules are that the drafting team has 2 years to sign the player if they don't then a player 20 or younger can re-enter the draft, over 20 they become an UFA.

The cutoff is June 1.

With a college player the team has until 30 days after the player leaves college. For example Corey Tropp, he decided to leave college so the Sabres had to sign him within the 30 days or they would lose him.

You're off on the college one a bit. If a college pick stays through his 4 years of school, the team has until that August 15th to sign him. If a player leaves college, the team still holds his rights for the full 4 years. That player can't become a free agent until the 4th June 1st after he was drafted. Tropp was drafted in 2007, so if he had left, they would have held his rights until June 1st next year.

The cutoff is June 1.

You're off on the college one a bit. If a college pick stays through his 4 years of school, the team has until that August 15th to sign him. If a player leaves college, the team still holds his rights for the full 4 years. That player can't become a free agent until the 4th June 1st after he was drafted. Tropp was drafted in 2007, so if he had left, they would have held his rights until June 1st next year.

Speaking of which, any thouhts on Billy Sweat who may go to August 15th rather then sign with the Lerafs?

Speaking of which, any thouhts on Billy Sweat who may go to August 15th rather then sign with the Lerafs?

I didn't realize they were having trouble with him. It makes you wonder if Chicago might have pulled one over on the greatest GM in the universe. I see that he's originally from Illinois, so it would be funny to see if he turned around and signed with Chicago. I don't have the slightest clue what he's thinking though. He'll have to sign a 3 year deal where ever he goes since he's 21. I'm sure he wants a max deal, but I don't think he's in that level of players right now.

Pretty close to what I would have done.

I like Gerbe over McCormack.

Just because I loved the grit the kid showed in the Boston series.

He was running Chara every time he was close to him.

He could chip in a few goals here and there...and it would be

good for him to play with a vet like Niedermayer.

The book is still out on Mancari. He has been too inconsistant

when he has been up in he bigs.

I know it won't change but I would love to see Stafford off the lineup.

Watch out for TJ Brennan to make a push for one of the D spots.

If he outplays Weber or Graniani in camp, he could surprise people.

McCormack was only givin a one year deal because Kassian will be up

with he big club whe he signs next season.

Kassian/Gaustad/Kaleta......Now that is a nasty line.

I like Gerbe over McCormack.

Just because I loved the grit the kid showed in the Boston series.

He was running Chara every time he was close to him.

The book is still out on Mancari. He has been too inconsistant

when he has been up in he bigs.

I know it won't change but I would love to see Stafford off the lineup.

Watch out for TJ Brennan to make a push for one of the D spots.

If he outplays Weber or Graniani in camp, he could surprise people.

Kassian/Gaustad/Kaleta......Now that is a nasty line.

Not sure how nasty that line will be and I want Kassian on the ice with better players.

Did Chara even notice Gerbe, who is practically 2 feet shorter?

Mancari has no cotract and I'd be surprised if he gets one. Dudes gonna be a grandpa soon.

From what I saw of Gerbe in the playoffs all he did was chip it in and go to the bench which in that series amounted to turning the puck over every time he had possession. I know Gerbe is built like a little ox but going after guys like Chara will only shorten his career. He has to learn to pick his spots and work on the parts of his game that are his strengths, not trying to outhit the other team.

From what I saw of Gerbe in the playoffs all he did was chip it in and go to the bench which in that series amounted to turning the puck over every time he had possession. I know Gerbe is built like a little ox but going after guys like Chara will only shorten his career. He has to learn to pick his spots and work on the parts of his game that are his strengths, not trying to outhit the other team.

Two points in two games and a plus 2, not too shabby considering. Still don't want him on my team. Yeah, I said MY team.

To my knowledge the sabres have probably at least $5 million to drop on someone. Gagne is looking to be on the move for the flyers and I do not think it would take a lot to get him in buffalo. This could also be a good chance to dump Stafford and maybe add a 2nd and that could maybe be enough. Gagne is 30 years old and has plenty left in the tank. He's a 2 time 40 goal scorer and I think he would be a 30-40 goal scorer for the sabres. If we did land Gagne this is how I would make the line up.

Vanek Roy Gagne

Ennis Connolly Pominville

Hecht Niedermayer Grier

Kennedy Gaustad Kaleta

McCormick

Myers Leopold

Rivet Sekera

Montador Weber

Butler

Miller

Lalime

I know that Kennedy would seem like a waste on the 4th line, but I wouldnt know where else to put him. I think it could also work if Gagne and Ennis switched too. This line up looks pretty promising for next year. Let me know what you guys think.

Ok, so outside of the obvious humor in this question, what are we really looking at next season for a line up?

Here is my best guess.

Line 1

Vanek - Roy - Stafford (God help us)

Ennis - Connolly - Pomminstein (There goes Tylers chance for the Calder)

Hecht - Niedermayer - Grier (Not great, but not bad)

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta (Decent line 4)

Kennedy and Gerbe on the outside looking in?

Myers - Weber

Leopold - Rivet

Montador - Sekera

Butler and Gragnani on the outside looking in?

Miller

Lalaime

Enroth patiently waiting, but for how long?

Consulting the most useful cap geek website shows our lineup to be something like this:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Kennedy - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

McCormick - Niedermayer - Kaleta

AHL callups or guys who might stick out of camp: Ennis (deserves a regular NHL shift) / Gerbe & if they resign him: Mancari

Myers - Leopold

Rivet -

Montador -

Sekera, Weber & Butler compete for the 2 final spots + 7th D position. If they resign him, Gragnani would be 1st callup or maybe makes the roster over one of the other guys above with a good camp.

G: Miller & Lalime

Stafford needs to start the season on the third line. Working his way up productively by points will allow him to return to a top line. Maybe switching with Kaleta will allow Vanek and Roy to score with a bang.

Stafford needs to start the season on the third line. Working his way up productively by points will allow him to return to a top line. Maybe switching with Kaleta will allow Vanek and Roy to score with a bang.

Stafford needs to start the season in the stands, and completely play lights out in practice to even get as much as a sniff of Andrew Peters time!

Seeing as it becomes clearer and clearer that Darcy isn't moving any of last season's passengers.

I'm so tired of talking about, "Well hopefully Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Pommer and Stafford play better this season". I'm sick of it. If the only additions to next seasons team are Leopold (who by the way isn't better than Lydman or Tallinder) , Niedimeyer (i still dont understand why we signed him) and a fulltime Ennis (how can he be considered an addition) , i wont be very optimistic.

We need to add a top 6 forward. I think the holes were exposed so cleary in the playoffs, that Darcy should be fired if he doesn't trade for someone significant. Thats how blatant it should be. I've given up hope on attaining a Power Forward, any kind of player would help our apathetic "top 2 lines".

I second this idea. Also i think Pommer needs a demotion too.

Truthfully i think our "top 6" , excluding Vanek, should play the first 5 games as the bottom 6 after the wretched playoff performance. Let Gerbe, Kennedy, Ennis, Kaleta, Vanek and ??? make up the first 2 lines!

I'm so tired of talking about, "Well hopefully Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Pommer and Stafford play better this season". I'm sick of it. If the only additions to next seasons team are Leopold (who by the way isn't better than Lydman or Tallinder) , Niedimeyer (i still dont understand why we signed him) and a fulltime Ennis (how can he be considered an addition) , i wont be very optimistic.

We need to add a top 6 forward. I think the holes were exposed so cleary in the playoffs, that Darcy should be fired if he doesn't trade for someone significant. Thats how blatant it should be. I've given up hope on attaining a Power Forward, any kind of player would help our apathetic "top 2 lines".

But hey, cheer up fella, we're almost certain to make the playoffs, and as we all know, in Buffalo, that's as good as a championship.

I really don't know about that mute..... Making them playoffs when most of the Northeast Division bulked up and added good players while we went with status quo like usual and stayed the same I think its going to be tough for the sabres to make the playoffs this year IMHO......

This I can agree with.

I too, believe this team is in trouble big time this season. There is going to be a very competitive, very physical division this season.

If the Sabres make the playoffs again, my prediction is as the 7th or 8th seed and they'll be fighting to the very end of the season to garner that spot.

I also believe they will be shown the exit in the 1st round of the playoffs if they make it.

Status Quo as many have pointed out, is the problem here currently. And I agree with many, we have not made the necessary adjustments to be considered a serious contender, not by any stretch of the imagination.

This I can agree with.

I too, believe this team is in trouble big time this season. There is going to be a very competitive, very physical division this season.

If the Sabres make the playoffs again, my prediction is as the 7th or 8th seed and they'll be fighting to the very end of the season to garner that spot.

I also believe they will be shown the exit in the 1st round of the playoffs if they make it.

Status Quo as many have pointed out, is the problem here currently. And I agree with many, we have not made the necessary adjustments to be considered a serious contender, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Your spot on again static, I believe if the sabres make the playoffs it will be exactly where you have predicted at the bottom, honestly I think they will end up a bubble team , but only time will tell..... We can't go into every season thinking ryan miller is going to save our bacon and cruise us into the playoffs, because that won't happen EVERY year.......... We need to bring more scoring into this team or the so called CORE players need to step it up or ship it out!

I also agree with statics assessment of this team as it stands now. I believe with the improvements that the other squads have made that we have taken a step backwards this offseason. Its not a case of addition by subtraction but a case of subtraction by addition if you know what I mean. I don't believe the players brought on board are an imrovement over who has left and we still haven't addressed the glaring weaknesses we all saw in the first round against Boston. Hell, we saw these weaknesses all season or for at least the second half of the season but Miller covered for the boys on most nights. The playoffs just made it hit home. We $ucked.

Morrisonn-Weber-Myers

Sekera-Rivet-Leopold

Butler-Gragnani-Miller

Vanek-Gaustad-Kaleta

Pominville-Roy

Ennis-Ellis (just for the alliteration and consonance)

Niedermayer-Grier

7th D: Hecht

G: Lalime, Enroth.

Lookin' good.

EDIT: Yeah, this is a joke; of course there are more moves to be made. Who the hell would put Miller at wing, when he's a natural center?

Morrisonn-Weber-Myers

Sekera-Rivet-Leopold

Butler-Gragnani-Miller

Vanek-Gaustad-Kaleta

Pominville-Roy

Ennis-Ellis (just for the alliteration and consonance)

Niedermayer-Grier

7th D: Hecht

G: Lalime, Enroth.

Lookin' good.

EDIT: Yeah, this is a joke; of course there are more moves to be made. Who the hell would put Miller at wing, when he's a natural center?

Pomminstein spends enough time at the point on the PP you may as well put him back there full time. :blink:

I love the 1st line. :thumbsup:

Your insulting Miller, making him play with Butler, atleast throw Sekera on his opposite wing ;)

Otherwise, DARCY, LETS ROLL! :bag:

Archived