Next year's lineup...

Barnabov

When did the Sabres state they are rebuilding?

When I first joing this forum you constantly scolded me about how losing DB and CD was part of the realization that they couldn't win the Cup with them and were tearing apart in order to get stronger. You said it so it had to be true.

2. The only division in the entire freaking league with four playoff teams was "very weak?"

Wait, a team that road a hot streak to a title in a very weak division and then collapsed in the first round of the playoffs? When did we start talking about the President's Trophy winners?

Why do you say the top three are on the cusp? Is that based on how they played, and if so, what were you seeing out there?

Ennis and Gerbe were obviously the smoothest skating and best puck handlers on the ice Thursday. Despite their size disadvantages, it was obvious to me that they were the most talented guys on both teams. These two dangled all over the place. It almost seemed like they toyed with guys at times. Their speed really showed. Gerbe had a nice cross ice pass that resulted in an easy onetimer for a goal, nicest pass of the day. Ennis used his quick feet to pick up a turnover (Dont know his name, he just got on the ice when the puck got flipped out of his offensive zone, he went to get it and fell down) and totally burned Enroth all alone. Enroth was pissed he was beaten so badly, slammed his stick.

Luke Adam scored two goals. I like his size and everyone I talk too say this guy is going to compete for a roster spot. I believe both of his goals were during play too. At least 2-3 of the games 7 overall goals were from penalty shots. All penalty's equalled penalty shots, no 4 minute double minors in this one. Which is understandable. So a two goal night in a scrimmage game where guys are trying to prove something is significant to me. Especially when that's the guy people are saying to watch before the game.

Boyd and Sutter are two names that caught my eye during the game. I have no idea who they are. I didnt pick up a roster when I walked in. When I went to get one, they were gone. Im pretty sure I got both names correct. Boyd's skating is what I liked.

Butler moved the puck well in the first period. I guess he tweaked his back and never played the rest of the game but had one particular up ice rush that was impressive, smooth and clean. Showed some decent speed and poise.

Kassian did not play well. I remember one rush where he tried to juked 3 guys...and failed. Unlike Myers, I think he needs another year of conditioning, mental conditioning probobly more so than physical. I love the kid and I hope he's our Scotty Hartnell. Brusier who stands in front of the net and can score twenty goals a year. Control guys down along the boards with his size, something they thought Torres was gonna do for us.

Ennis and Gerbe were obviously the smoothest skating and best puck handlers on the ice Thursday. Despite their size disadvantages, it was obvious to me that they were the most talented guys on both teams. These two dangled all over the place. It almost seemed like they toyed with guys at times. Their speed really showed. Gerbe had a nice cross ice pass that resulted in an easy onetimer for a goal, nicest pass of the day. Ennis used his quick feet to pick up a turnover (Dont know his name, he just got on the ice when the puck got flipped out of his offensive zone, he went to get it and fell down) and totally burned Enroth all alone. Enroth was pissed he was beaten so badly, slammed his stick.

Luke Adam scored two goals. I like his size and everyone I talk too say this guy is going to compete for a roster spot. I believe both of his goals were during play too. At least 2-3 of the games 7 overall goals were from penalty shots. All penalty's equalled penalty shots, no 4 minute double minors in this one. Which is understandable. So a two goal night in a scrimmage game where guys are trying to prove something is significant to me. Especially when that's the guy people are saying to watch before the game.

Boyd and Sutter are two names that caught my eye during the game. I have no idea who they are. I didnt pick up a roster when I walked in. When I went to get one, they were gone. Im pretty sure I got both names correct. Boyd's skating is what I liked.

Butler moved the puck well in the first period. I guess he tweaked his back and never played the rest of the game but had one particular up ice rush that was impressive, smooth and clean. Showed some decent speed and poise.

Kassian did not play well. I remember one rush where he tried to juked 3 guys...and failed. Unlike Myers, I think he needs another year of conditioning, mental conditioning probobly more so than physical. I love the kid and I hope he's our Scotty Hartnell. Brusier who stands in front of the net and can score twenty goals a year. Control guys down along the boards with his size, something they thought Torres was gonna do for us.

Nice post on potentials to fill roster spots.

I concede we may very well see another season of Butler, which is very dissapointing quite frankly.

Ennis and Gerbe are capable of handling the puck, its their ability to handle hits in an 82 game schedule in the NHL that concerns me.

Kassian is headed back to the juniors, and even then, I don't think we see him in Buffalo for another 3 years minimum, if at all.

Luke Adam is my wild card to push for some time with the big club this season, but signing Niedermayer pretty much puts him as a call up.

Nice post on potentials to fill roster spots.

I concede we may very well see another season of Butler, which is very dissapointing quite frankly.

Ennis and Gerbe are capable of handling the puck, its their ability to handle hits in an 82 game schedule in the NHL that concerns me.

Kassian is headed back to the juniors, and even then, I don't think we see him in Buffalo for another 3 years minimum, if at all.

Luke Adam is my wild card to push for some time with the big club this season, but signing Niedermayer pretty much puts him as a call up.

I still have hope for butler. Playing with an injured Rivet all year didint help the kids development. He showed such poise and promise 2 years ago, I see him having a bounce back year.

He's got talent and size, but not enough fire in the belly. Sometimes that comes from competition, pride and of course a contract year. All of those are in play for Stafford this year. He lost his spot to Ennis at the end of last year, Ennis is going to try to take his spot again this year, he got healthy-scratched a number of times, which had to be embarrassing, and he's playing for a contract this year.

A bounceback year for Stafford is quite possible. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could get something for him, but it's not impossible that he could play well this year.

I'd love to see what the bookies think odds are on Staffo scoring 20+ this year

We spent a first round pick on Kassian. That would be totally wasted if we rushed him onto the roster where he plays a Carcillo-like role for the rest of his career. I'd rather he cooled his heels (and head) and learned some maturity at the Pirates this year, and hey, if we need some grit towards the end of the season bring him up then.

We spent a first round pick on Kassian. That would be totally wasted if we rushed him onto the roster where he plays a Carcillo-like role for the rest of his career. I'd rather he cooled his heels (and head) and learned some maturity at the Pirates this year, and hey, if we need some grit towards the end of the season bring him up then.

Kassian cannot play for the Pirates this year. He is not age eligable. Its either with the Sabres or back down to Windsor and the OHL.

Let's put it this way. If I have to debate someone about how much progress the Sabres made this season on their self-imposed quest for a Cup, then it's not my credibility that should be in question.

The Sabres took advantage of a friendly early schedule and a goalie on a personal mission -- Darcy said as much about the Olympic year helping the Sabres' cause. They stockpiled the points through January and it was enough to win a very weak division. Meanwhile, they were exposed on that Western trip and crawled into the playoffs, pretty fortunately, actually, that Ottawa didn't keep surging and take that precious bedsheet away from them. The playoffs were anti-climactic, a foregone conclusion.

What do we hang our hats on this fall? The hope that Miller can find some different internal motivation and be elite all year? That Myers will be as good, or better? Beyond that, it's the same old Sabres of 07-08 through 08-09. I don't see the progress, the manifest destiny like we saw in '98 or '06. Sorry. I really hope to be wrong.

Of course they aren't as good as the 2006 team. That was the Sabres' best team since the late 1970s. The goal is to get back there, and it takes time and good fortune. Still, though, if you see no difference between last year's team and the 2007-08 team, which was a truly pathetic bunch of babies that lost EVERY game against a decent team in the 2nd half of that season, then I don't know what to say.

Good stuff. Thanks!

I still have hope for butler. Playing with an injured Rivet all year didint help the kids development. He showed such poise and promise 2 years ago, I see him having a bounce back year.

+1

He can't play in the AHL this year because of his age. It's either juniors or the NHL.

He can't play in the AHL this year because of his age. It's either juniors or the NHL.

Well, he can, but not until his junior season is over.

And there's one thing that people need to remember when talking about how Gerbe looks in this camp. He is significantly older than the rest of the group and has been through this many times. At this point, he needs to show it in the regular training camp, not this one.

Of course they aren't as good as the 2006 team. That was the Sabres' best team since the late 1970s. The goal is to get back there, and it takes time and good fortune. Still, though, if you see no difference between last year's team and the 2007-08 team, which was a truly pathetic bunch of babies that lost EVERY game against a decent team in the 2nd half of that season, then I don't know what to say.

In reality, Truly Pathetic Bunch of Babies nil, Fragile Little Kids nil.

In reality, Truly Pathetic Bunch of Babies nil, Fragile Little Kids nil.

Nil what? Playoff series wins? OK, but that doesn't mean no progress has occurred. The Caps haven't done anything in the playoffs in the last couple of seasons. Does that mean they haven't progressed from the time when they were league doormats?

As stated, thanks for the live-eye report!

Of course not, but it is wrong to blame Miller for the team losing its edge and to make conclusory statements like:

which are not supported by the facts.

And WTF does "Miller was Miller again" mean? He's an excellent goalie and has been since 2005-06. Has there been a better goalie in the NHL over that period?

so miller has a good year last year and all of sudden he has been the best since 05 06? bull.

so miller has a good year last year and all of sudden he has been the best since 05 06? bull.

It wasn't just a good year last year. He was great in the 2 years post-lockout, especially in the playoffs, and they only missed the playoffs in '08-'09 because he got injured down the stretch.

Who's been a better goalie over the last 5 years?

And there's one thing that people need to remember when talking about how Gerbe looks in this camp. He is significantly older than the rest of the group and has been through this many times. At this point, he needs to show it in the regular training camp, not this one.

Absolutely! I totally agree with you. My fingers are crossed. There looks to be potential there.

brodeur

Since he suggested the last 5 years, here's some number crunching (I did it quickly, so it's possible I slipped up and hit the wrong key somewhere).

Brodeur:

336 GP, 199 W, 2.30 GAA, 0.918 S%

Miller:

315 GP, 181 W, 2.54 GAA, 0.916 S%

The GAA difference stands out, but their save percentages have been essentially identical. A decent case could be made in favor of either guy. This doesn't factor in the playoffs at all, where Miller has clearly had more success.

Since he suggested the last 5 years, here's some number crunching (I did it quickly, so it's possible I slipped up and hit the wrong key somewhere).

Brodeur:

336 GP, 199 W, 2.30 GAA, 0.918 S%

Miller:

315 GP, 181 W, 2.54 GAA, 0.916 S%

The GAA difference stands out, but their save percentages have been essentially identical. A decent case could be made in favor of either guy. This doesn't factor in the playoffs at all, where Miller has clearly had more success.

brodeur is better. thank you for proving it.

Absolutely! I totally agree with you. My fingers are crossed. There looks to be potential there.

I believe the post you are responding to questions this very premise. He's in his fifth year of developement camp. Literally a man among boys, although his physique most resembles a boy, he better look real good. I really don't get the adoration for this mighty might. Is it all the short people going through Flutie syndrome again? I'll be shocked if he sees anything more than spot duty in the NHL.

Archived